Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TBM DV8R anyone have one or about too?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TBM DV8R anyone have one or about too?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:42 PM
FMRR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TBM DV8R anyone have one or about too?

Just found a tank, Jet Tech 10'' long,3.5" tall,6" wide 116oz press tested and with O-ring fuel filler $135.00 plus shipping.
http://www.angelfire.com/wi/jettech/images/DV8R.JPEG
Will call monday asap.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:49 PM
k12rc

tbm has a 100 oz and i used two df tanks for 122oz
Old 09-12-2011, 02:16 PM
FMRR

k12rc hi,I saw the earlier post and pics and like the the set up.But I really want to stick with a kevlar tank.I like the way Delta Mike set up his fuel system.I do have a question about the flap hinge and gap every spoke about.I think for the flaps I'm going to use the robart hinge at 45 with the pivot at the bottom so there with be no gap when retracted.I was thinking about using the new scale hinges but felt it would deploy the flap to far from the wing.If anybody has tried this I sure would to know how it work out.Great post here have enjoy reading and seeing how everybody builds.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 2 50 ounce dubro tanks, a 16 ounce header tank and the UAT. Total fuel on board is 120 ounces.

As for hinging the flaps, I used ultracote. Works great and is simple. My son has 116 flights on his now in just under 3 months. He loves it!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:47 PM
k12rc

I used the robarts haven't had any issues
Old 09-12-2011, 03:17 PM
phantom_najd
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: John Redman

I run 2 50 ounce dubro tanks, a 16 ounce header tank and the UAT. Total fuel on board is 120 ounces.

As for hinging the flaps, I used ultracote. Works great and is simple. My son has 116 flights on his now in just under 3 months. He loves it!!!
Could you please show pictures of the tanks setup explaining the way you set them up (in series or parallel) and the ultracote for flap hinge... specially the ultracote hinge; it's so interesting.

Azzam
Old 09-12-2011, 03:21 PM
John Redman

Standard tank set up. The (2) 50 ounce tanks are in paralell feeding one 16 ounce header tank. That tank feeds the UAT. Pretty basic turbine fuel system.

As for the flaps. Cut (2) pieces 1 inch wide of ultra cote the length of the flaps. Tape the flaps in the up position. Iron the ultra cote on to the bottom of the flap and wing trailing edge, splitting thew difference. Then deflect the flap to the down position and iron the other piece to the inside. All done. Plain and simple.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:15 PM
FMRR

Standard tank set up. The (2) 50 ounce tanks are in paralell feeding one 16 ounce header tank. That tank feeds the UAT. Pretty basic turbine fuel system.

As for the flaps. Cut (2) pieces 1 inch wide of ultra cote the length of the flaps. Tape the flaps in the up position. Iron the ultra cote on to the bottom of the flap and wing trailing edge, splitting thew difference. Then deflect the flap to the down position and iron the other piece to the inside. All done. Plain and simple.
Hi John,I have done that with foam EDF's and park flyer's.Your the first that I heard doing this with a turbine.I have to say I'm a little scared trusting it.I know you are very credible and been doing this for a long time,just very surprised in this application.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:26 PM
k12rc

as for flap elev and ail gap seal I used foamy 1in tape so far so good I only have about 30 flights so far but the tape has not pealed yet
Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 PM
phantom_najd

Thanks for the explanation John. Although I believe the ultracote for flaps hinges is safe, I wont use them just because I don't wanna go into arguments with some people at my flying field about how safe it is

The reason I asked about the tanks configuration is that when I use my Jersey Models fuel System to fuel my plane the UAT gets inflated indicating high flow resistance between the main tank and the UAT or in the vent. I use 0.11" gasoline tubing all around and my configuration is one main tank feeding the UAT. Could you please tell me how did you vent the two 50 ounce tanks and the size of tubes you used between the tanks. Thanks and sorry for going off-subject in my post.

Azzam
Old 09-13-2011, 04:32 AM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

I finally joined the DV8R club about a month ago! Took me less then a week 3-4hrs a night to get it ready. Logged around 20 flights so far with it. I installed a JetCentral Cheetah for power, 125oz of fuel, TBM DV8R prolink landing gear. Hitec 9755 on elev, 5645 on alierons and laps. One thing I did do is install a 2 5/8" nose wheel since TBM has a 3.5" on it, and move the axle 1/2" higher on the nose gear fork. The wing incidence had the nose sitting way to high. Going vertical after 20ft of runway!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61252.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1661582  
Old 09-13-2011, 07:34 AM
John Redman

Okay a few notes to clarrify on the hinging of the flaps and fuel tubing.

I figured a few people would wonder about the ultra cote hinging. Keep in mind the glider guys did this for years with never an issue. Also the Habu 32 which has been turbinized by a few uses Ultra Cote hinges for everything except the rudder. When done correctly they are as good as pinned hinges. The DV8R has seen the radar gun at Kentucky Jets at 180 mph. It now has 116 flights on it without an issue. My son flies the crap out of it.

The fuel tubing I use is 1/8 inch large Tygon for the entire fuel system. This is used on the clunks inside the tanks as well as for the vent liines. I use the large dubro clunks ensuring the holes in the clunk are drilled out to 1/8 of an inch. Also ensure you use 1/8 inch brass tubing in the caps.

I run two external vents, one from each main 50 ounce tank. The feed line from each 50 ounce tank feeds to the header tank. The header tank has 2 vents and one pickup. I do not use "tee" fittings in the fuel system. I also do not use festo fittings in the fuel system.

The header tank feed line goes to the UAT. The feed line from teh UAT is tygon as well and goes directly to the pump. I do have a small ball valve (jetcat) in line from the UAT to the pump. I then run teh 4mm hard line from the pump to the valves and motor.

It is common for the UAT to inflate a bit during fueling and you will see it suck down a bit during engine operation. This is normal. Teh important thing to keep an eye out for is fuel level in teh UAT. There will always be a small air bubble at the top, but that is it. If it grows you have a leak somewhere in the system.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:34 AM
phantom_najd

Okay a few notes to clarrify on the hinging of the flaps and fuel tubing.

I figured a few people would wonder about the ultra cote hinging. Keep in mind the glider guys did this for years with never an issue. Also the Habu 32 which has been turbinized by a few uses Ultra Cote hinges for everything except the rudder. When done correctly they are as good as pinned hinges. The DV8R has seen the radar gun at Kentucky Jets at 180 mph. It now has 116 flights on it without an issue. My son flies the crap out of it.

The fuel tubing I use is 1/8 inch large Tygon for the entire fuel system. This is used on the clunks inside the tanks as well as for the vent liines. I use the large dubro clunks ensuring the holes in the clunk are drilled out to 1/8 of an inch. Also ensure you use 1/8 inch brass tubing in the caps.

I run two external vents, one from each main 50 ounce tank. The feed line from each 50 ounce tank feeds to the header tank. The header tank has 2 vents and one pickup. I do not use ''tee'' fittings in the fuel system. I also do not use festo fittings in the fuel system.

The header tank feed line goes to the UAT. The feed line from teh UAT is tygon as well and goes directly to the pump. I do have a small ball valve (jetcat) in line from the UAT to the pump. I then run teh 4mm hard line from the pump to the valves and motor.

It is common for the UAT to inflate a bit during fueling and you will see it suck down a bit during engine operation. This is normal. Teh important thing to keep an eye out for is fuel level in teh UAT. There will always be a small air bubble at the top, but that is it. If it grows you have a leak somewhere in the system.
Great tips ... thanks John. I always land with the UAT full except for a little bubble at the top so I guess I don't have a problem. The only thing I overlooked was to drill the clunks out to 1/8 in but currently I won't worry about it since the UAT inflation (which was worrying me the most) is not a problem. Thanks allot one more time John for answering my questions.

Azzam
Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 AM
FMRR

John,I spoke with a friend of mine that knows you very well about this subject(Flap hinge)I am going to try it.The only change will be the bottom strip will be 3/4" on the wing and flap instead of 1/2".Will be ordering some clear Ultracote tomorrow.Now if we can figure a way to make a nice hinge cover to hide the upper gap when the flap is deployed.I was thinking to in lay a thin carbon strip.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 AM
FMRR

ORIGINAL: Zagzoo

I finally joined the DV8R club about a month ago! Took me less then a week 3-4hrs a night to get it ready. Logged around 20 flights so far with it. I installed a JetCentral Cheetah for power, 125oz of fuel, TBM DV8R prolink landing gear. Hitec 9755 on elev, 5645 on alierons and laps. One thing I did do is install a 2 5/8'' nose wheel since TBM has a 3.5'' on it, and move the axle 1/2'' higher on the nose gear fork. The wing incidence had the nose sitting way to high. Going vertical after 20ft of runway!!
I like your idea putting the smaller wheel and moving the axle.Should stop the bunny hop landings.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:28 PM
FMRR

Well got a lot of the silly work done,just waiting for my care package from Dream Works.Should be done in another week or so.I will post pic's when I get a chance.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:32 PM
John Redman

I don't worry about the gap when the flaps are down. Very similar to the wy we did it on the old BVM Aggresor 1's, 2's, and 3's as well as the Maverick series. Works fine. The DV*R is a little goofy looking but flies great!!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:49 AM
FMRR

Ya it's goofy looking but after a while it grows on you To all... FYI, I made a small error on my part so learn from my mistake.I was going with the three peice wing option.Glue the center section and leave the tips removable.Well when I was gluing the tips on I did not have the gun rods threaded fully.The OD of the threads are smaller than the rod,Which has left me with a very small gap on one side.So now my options are to go with a two piece wing or just one.If you choose to go the three section rout just make sure you fully thread the gun rods completely and not just start them like I did[&:]
Old 09-22-2011, 11:15 AM
FMRR

Help,I am trying to come up with a really nice way to rout all the gear air lines through the wheel well.I don't want to cut big whole into the side of the tub.Any idea gents? silly yes but I like attention to details.I have the TBM gear.....BTW anybody here going to GA Jets this week.I will be there Sat all day.Hope to see some of you.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

ORIGINAL: FMRR

Help,I am trying to come up with a really nice way to rout all the gear air lines through the wheel well.I don't want to cut big whole into the side of the tub.Any idea gents? silly yes but I like attention to details.I have the TBM gear.....BTW anybody here going to GA Jets this week.I will be there Sat all day.Hope to see some of you.
I just used tiddy strips.. put in a strip for 3 lines 1" in front of cylinder, then a strip at inner wheel well where the airlines goes thru. Just cut open a hole in the wheel well just enough for the 3 air lines to go thru.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:39 PM
andy boy

Hi, to all DV8R owners and admirers. I must have seen most of the videos on you tube.  Some are good  and some need a better camera, cameraman or woman.   Well in my quest for new DV8R videos I found a new one,  though not actually a DV8R video per say,  it has the DV8R in it.  Staring Mr.John Redman,   it is a horizon hobby production about proper placement of the JR/Spectrum DSM remote  Rxs  (very interesting even though i am a futaba sort of guy).  Most of the DV8R videos I have seen have the Tiger meat one. One has the russian red. and two have the Australian blue. I have yet  to see the sport (red). Then there are the kit DV8R videos with custom colors and schemes. This new video has a white thunderbirds color scheme and what looks to me as the robart landing gear. I am most interested in DV8R landings and this video really shows how nice this dream machine lands, just floats right down.  Great camera angle and cameraperson.   Here is the link....         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFfJUGUH_U.      
Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM
FMRR

Zagzoo,thanks that's a great idea.Was thinking something like that.Was going to rout the lines under the wheel well just at 1" 1.5" to protect them.I could run them across like you say.I'm going to think about this some more.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:41 AM
jetboy
My Feedback: (3)

DV8R Dudes,
Years ago I made a mold for a conformal tank for the DV8R. It is designed to use just about all the available space over the wing between the formers. It holds about 120 ounces. I made about 5 tanks from the mold and it has been taking up space since then. I have pictures I can email if interested. One of the tanks is in my DV8R which is PCM kit serial number 2 and is still giving me 9-12 minute flights on an early p-120. Nine minutes is never pulling the power back during the flight except to land. PM me if interested in the mold for the fuel tank.

Regards,
Jay
Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 AM
FMRR

Jetboy,
I may be interested.Lets see some pic's, and what are you looking for as far as $$$$$$$.If you rather send a private message let me know.

Best Regards
Frank
Old 10-03-2011, 11:28 AM
FMRR

To all FYI, I tested the the ultra cote with a 1'' wide simulated flap. It holds 10 pounds and failed with 15.I did not measure the flap span yet but if it is 8" in span the math comes out to holding 80lbs per flap but would fail at 120lbs. That's ultra cote over ultra cote.When the ultra cote is use directly on balsa it fails sooner.I used no promotor, just cleaned the surface with alc.

Just measured the flap 17.5" x 10 =175lbs... JR 8411 servo is rated at 9.6 lbs... in theory then the servo should faill before the flap would fly off. Correct me if I'm wrong.
So I am going to Ultra kote the flap just like John and his son did

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.