Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

Old 09-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Ferenium523

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitromodels PREDATOR RQ-1B

I dont think it does. Each one has one big hole and one small hole and you plug them together big to small?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Ferenium523

Sorry! I just realized I've been calling you Papa John the whole time. Papa Jeff, 1 more question, for the predator, the two servos that control pitch. When I plug them in both to one channel using a y connector, they go opposite ways, any way I could program them or do something to make them go in the same direction when I move the stick up or down?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Ferenium523

Sorry! I just realized I've been calling you Papa John the whole time. Papa Jeff, 1 more question, for the predator, the two servos that control pitch. When I plug them in both to one channel using a y connector, they go opposite ways, any way I could program them or do something to make them go in the same direction when I move the stick up or down? 
Old 10-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Ferenium523

Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Ferenium523

Old 11-05-2010, 08:31 PM
WordyBirdy

Papa Jeff,
This thread is probably the longest reaching at 38 pages+ and years and years long. Thank you for your tutorage. I hope you will continue to share your expert in the UAV planes (pred. reap.), as a great favor to us all.
Now, I have a few questions regarding Tx Rx configuration. Simple questions that tech support at nitro-planes couldn't answer, correctly.
Hope you will be ofhelp?  
Old 11-05-2010, 10:45 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Wordy - What do you need to know?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:20 AM
WordyBirdy

lejongleur,
Ihave the predator fully assembled and ready to fly. I did not re-disign the front landing gear, nor add another servo and make a rudder out of the back stab...so I amat the mercy of mother nature during take off.
Typically (as been the case for most of my puller-planesduring take off)trimming the rudder a click or two leads to a very straight runway path.
The problem I am facing is correctable,as the v-wing elevators are functioning on two different servo's. With a Y-harness, I place both servo leads into channel 2. But I can't seem to figure out how to mixchannel 2 with channel 1 in my Ct6 Rx.I have experimented withnearly every concievable solution (both in electronics, and Ct-6 program software)butremain mystified...
Old 11-06-2010, 07:11 AM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: Ferenium523

No need to be sorry.........you got the PAPA part and that's all that's necessary! When this happens,
you need to get a "reversing Y connector" and your problem will be solved.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:22 AM
papajeff

WORDY,

Since I use a DX7 (Spektrum 2.4), I am not familiar with your radio. However, let me check my setup
and I think that between Lejongleur and me, we can get you going in the right direction.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:40 AM
WordyBirdy

Iamthankful for any help regarding the radio, servo mixing obsticle...I foundtwo veryinformativeposts (video & written) that allowed me to access and program the Rx and Tx - binding both. However, neither included inforegarding channel mixing on a v-wing tail.My Tx is programmed at the basic4 channel ACRO, with mixing potential.
Regards
Old 11-06-2010, 07:58 AM
papajeff

Wordy,

My DX7 has a setup screen for "WINGTYPE" and a several choices which include V-tail. When this
choice is activated, my V-tail operates properly. Does your radio have this option?

Look at what I just found and tell me if this helps at all with setting up your Tx for V-tail.
http://www.mycoolheli.com/t6config.html

Old 11-06-2010, 12:44 PM
lejongleur

Wordy - If I read your prior post correctly, you are joining the vatail servos with a y-connector, right? If that is that case, you will not be able to use any rudder function, as they will both move in the same direction all the time (if they move in the opposite directions, perhaps you can use the opposite servo horn on one of them, or use a special Y-connector as Papa J suggested.

If you only have 4 channels, and can program for a V-Tail, I suggest you use the Y-connector on the ailerons, and use a separate channel for each of the two vtail control surfaces (one rudder, one elevator.) If you find that the tail does not perform as expected, switch the rudder and elevator connections.

Optimally, if you can program for VTail (built-into your radio), and have 5+ channels, here's the configuratrion for a Spektrum setup:

Right wing - Aileron
Left Wing - Aux1
Vtail1 - Rudder
Vtail2 - Elevator

Vtail1 & 2 may need to be swapped. When you pull back on the elevator, both Vtails go up. Rudder left - left Vtail goes up, right Vtail goes down. Rudder right - vice versa.

Potential bad news - If your radio is the CT6 equivalent from Hobbycity:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8338

If specifically states that is is unsuitable for mixing or vtail. In that case you are definitely limited to coupling the two vtails together (as elevator only), and using the ailerons to turn the plane. Perhaps you already knew all this!

Hope some of this may help...Chris
Old 11-07-2010, 09:04 PM
MotherPlaneRC

Hey guys, I'm doing some build videos on the predator with a little help from this thread. Check it out and give some suggestion etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3_CUto3v3g

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-3hT_d3zz8

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:51 PM
MotherPlaneRC

How well do these things glide if at all and what is the longest flight time you have gotten out of these uav's?

Thanks, Ace.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:32 PM
WordyBirdy

Papa Jeff, I watched that video link several times, and checked into the written manual. Ifinally figured it out. I now have the servos opporating as designed.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 PM
WordyBirdy

lejonguer. Thanks,I finally got the correct program and mytx/rx is working fine. However, the predator weighs alot more than the 1.75 lb recommended fly weight. I had to continue adding lead weight to the nose (about 6 oz ) to get the CG right.
I then jumped on a bicyle (holdingthe plane at the CG) and took off peddlingto nearly 20 miles an hour before the wings began togenerate enough lift to counter the planes weight.
So Iput the bike away, found an abandonedparking lot and taxied off, but the darn plane wouldn't stay straightlongenough to gainflight speed. Even with rudder working, I guess Ineed to put in a working front steering gear.Iwas very tempted to just toss the plane (as I have done with a manymotored glider) but having that prop in the back raises a more cautious approach. Iwill work on the nose gear.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:36 PM
lejongleur

Wordy - My Predator comes in at 32 ounces - almost 40 ounces with the two batteries I use in it. I am using a 1000mah 3S and a 1300mah 3S (in parallel) to get the cg right, with no added weight. I would say that takeoff speed is less than 10mph. When you were testing using a bike, it was probably not possible for you to assess the angle of attack that the airplane was at, was it?

Mine has a small outrunner generating around 220 watts with a 8.5x6 or 9x6 counter rotating prop. This gives it an easy takeoff in about 10-15 feet and lets it climb very steeply. the ESC is in the tail with an extension to the batteries right up front. I am using a Spektrum AR7000 receiver, and Hobbycity HXT900 servos. No separate BEC is needed as I am only running 3S.

My only problem with this plane is that it is so hard to tell what it is doing in the air - it looks freakish from most angles, and I keep thinking its rolling one way when its actually doing the opposite. Painting it yellow would help, but how many Predators are out there intended to be visible? It would probably fly for close to 20 minutes, as it seems to use about 100mah/minute.

By the way, I did not bother to put on a steerable nosewheel, although that would be helpful. I fly at a club which has a min airport with two blacktop runways, wide enough even for my limited skills to line up and put the Predator down once per flight. NO touch and go practice, though.

Hope this helps...Chris
Old 11-10-2010, 01:42 PM
papajeff

Wordy,

My Predator flies just the same way as Chris has explained in his post. Since I fly off grass fields,
I really have not had the need for any nose wheel steering as the plane just rotates in about 30 -
50 feet with no problems. I also needed some extra weight in the nose.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 PM
WordyBirdy

lejongleur, Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the bicycle method was not truly reliant, but I also manuevered the predator as I peddled to create a best case scenerio. Ibelieve the 20 mph (maybe Ihad a tail-wind; Ifailed to check at the time)was about what it would take to off-set the weight. SO,after reading your and PapaJeff's reply, Igutted out the 500 motor, 50a esc, and replaced it with a 400rimfire, and a 25a esc. That certainly lightened the rear, and hopefully Iwont have to add any weight to the front nose to get correct CG.
Explaining to me the liftoff and flight characteristics of your predator eases my concern. Ihave heard too many horror stories regarding this model plane.
Wordy
Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 PM
WordyBirdy

Papa Jeff, I decided not to go with a steerable front gear. I think I'll go on grass too. I thank you for the input. Iplan on flying this plane tomorrow...now that I have lightened the load.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 PM
dditch

Nice detail on the thread PapaJeff!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 AM
orbjeff

Hi there,

Thanks for the great post. It has been very helpful!

Jeff

Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM
alanwf

I recently picked up this plane, but the carbon wing tube is missing. Can someone give me the specs on the tube so I can order one? I need the diameter and length, and perhaps the wall thickness. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 AM
jeskimo5

Hello everyone,
I am building RQ-1 as my first 'big' R/C aircraft ( I know, I know, not a trainer... I'll deal with it) So I just want to run my list of components past the experts to see if they are good enough:
I am going to use a Spectrum DX6i controller

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.