Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 AM
matty_p80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

right here goes again!

Matty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73178.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1666312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36538.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1666313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx59888.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	1666314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35682.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1666315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13695.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	1666316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc47751.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1666317  
Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Mack66

Nice piccies, Matty! Ain't it great when everyone shows up at the same time?

Mack
Old 09-26-2011, 12:41 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Anyone catch the article in October Model Aviation?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
dooleyje

DUUUUUEEEEEE? What article?

Jim
Old 09-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Mack66

Andy,

Do you mean this most totally awesome article: http://www.modelaviation.com/helicopterguide ?

Very nice article. I've already referred a newbie to go read this article first before doing anything else.

Keep up the good work. Now you can consider doing how-to articles about learning maneuvers from elementary aerobatics to advanced 3D. I've seen some nice ones for planks, why not helicopters?

Mack
Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 AM
dooleyje

AHH SO,, that article I just saw it at our store mag rack...good job.

Jim
Old 09-27-2011, 11:14 AM
BarracudaHockey

Thanks guys.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 AM
matty_p80

hello guys!

last rant on the subject as it's nearly at an end: have just cancelled my order with HK, to be told that it is going to take 4-6 weeks to get my money reimbursed!!!!! What the Heck????????? it's a real 'finger in the open wound' job as they have had my money for 7 weeks already!

i would ask all of you and i know Jim is already of this frame of mind, to make everyone know what an appalling service they offer (the online chat person even strongly suggested that if i had used PayPal, this wouldn't have happened!!) and to discourage friends and aquaintances from using their online services!

you guys know me about as well as most and know i'm not vindictive or spiteful but they have really got my hackles up now (Jay man, i think i might be uncovering some hidden Irish in me blood!)! i'm on a mission to either get some actual response from someone on what gives or to get as many as i can of the customers to boycott the company! which would actually do them a favour as then they won't be "experiencing an unusually high order load" and the existing customers might get their orders through in a decent time!!

Matty
Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM
cajungirl

Helooo everybody,
Sorry for the absence. We got real busy for awhile. During our stay at my folks this time we got involved in re-roofing the boathouse with my Dad. A new experience for me and (of course) Jay loved every minute of it. Mixed with that, Jay and my Dad concentrated on gettin' the new trailer all modified to match the one we lost. That's all done now except for the shelving, bench and slide out mountings for the generator and AC. Those are all assembled and waiting for us at Henrys in Georgia. Anywho, we've stayed real busy of late.

We did do a lot of evening flying though. The 500s and 600s got good workouts. Jay got kinda crazy with his 600 once, took it out over the water, got real low (less than a foot) over the water and did some high speed passes. Kinda cool the way the rotor wash left a wake in the water. But, he got it way too low one time and almost gave it a dippin'. Water was flyin' up all around the heli and some of it got in the carb. The motor started runnin' real bad and it was a close call just gettin' the heli back to dry land to set it down. It kept runnin' up fast, then would die off for a second or two. The heli kind of hopped up and down back to the land. I was sure he was gonna drop it in the water but it made it. Jay will be tearin' the motor down in the next coupla days to inspect for damage. Seems OK but he won't run it again 'till he checks it out. Made for a nail bitin' coupla minutes. Me and Momma bitin', Jay all involved with the controls and cussin' some, Daddy cheerin' him and the heli on with some repeated "c'mon son, you can get it back here" and "c'mon little birdie, ain't time for your weekly bath". Once it was down safely on the grass we all had a little cheering session. Jay was all excited 'bout it workin' out. He said that was a situation he'd never had to handle before and wasn't 'xactly sure what to do or how it would come out. Seems knowing your heli and how it reacts to controls pays off in tight spots. Somethin' I need to keep in mind so I don't go all panicky and wreck if I have to face a situation. Just like it's said a lot, "Relax and let your trainin' kick in". Seems true in a lot of things. That's what we're told all through our medical trainin' too. Don't overthink things when time is of the essence. I love the way this hobby keeps teachin' all the time. Keeps my interest up.

We're now all settled back in Baton Rouge. Been here since late Sunday night. To begin with I wasn't scheduled to start work here again 'till the first of the month, but, they called and asked if I could come back a little early to help another instructor give some finals. She's tryin' to handle two classes right now becasue of an instructor that is on leave for some medical reasons. So, I'm back in my white coat and teachin' again. Right where I love to be. Still corespondin' back and forth with the administration at LSU about turnin' this job into a permanent position. Just like any other thing with red tape and suits, it takes next to forever to get anything decided. It always boils down to the money thing and that's purty much where we're at with it right now. They've said my salary requirements are fair for the job required. They just have to do all the crunchin' to see how it all would fit in their budget and curriculum. Hmmmmm, those suits always seem to "overthink" things a lot. Good thing they don't fly helis. They'd be in the lake. Seems easy to me. They're spendin' the money havin' me come here and the classroom I use isn't used for anything else. When I'm not here another contract instructor uses it for basically the same things. Oh well, to a simple country girl like me one and one is still two and no matter how you divide it up it's still two in the end. I guess I'm just not 'phisticated enough to understand all the decimals, percentages, analyses, market values, state of the local economy, end values, liabilities and how much it costs for the custodian to dust the room all mixed together in some long half latin formula. I saw it once on a piece of paper when I went in for an interview with one of the suits a while back. He kept shovin' that under my nose like it meant somethin' and I should comment on it. I politely told him I didn't really understand all that part of it, but I did understand the value of well trained staff and students and the importance of students having someone they know and like trainin' them. It has been proven many times how much better they learn from a comfortable and familiar environment. Many of the students I have across my territory have mentioned this very thing and how uncomfortable it is to face teachers that are basically strangers and the uncertainty of what they are going to require of their students.

K, sorry guys. Got my chatter switch set at 9 again. I'll quit. Good thing it didn't get to 10 though. Y'all would either be skippin' my post or readin' until tomorrow some time.

Gotta get back to my room full of nusies anyway. Time to stop the clock on the exam and make them nervously hand them over to me.

Please be safe, healthy and happy,

Donica
Old 09-29-2011, 04:17 PM
dooleyje

Hey everyone. Hey I actually got to do a little flying this week. Remember the fellow with the helis shutting down after 2 mins of flying. We installed seperate becs on the castle 75 esc and the stock Align eq 500 and we actually got 7 minutes on both helis. I think the batteries were not charged up in our earlier trip to the field as the client thought. I used one of my batteries as a measuring standard and then flew his batteries and the times were with in 10 sec or so. The original thought was maybe a setting in the Castles not correct but that proved false. In the flybarless systems with the super fast cyclic servos will draw a bit more current so a lesson to all is not to jump to conclusions that an item has a defect from the factory till you prove other wise. As a safety features on my electric large helis is to spend $24 and stall a seperate bec and take the pressure off of the esc. OH yeah....Charge your batteries and not just say you did. That is a lot cheaper than a $1000 plus helicopter.

Donica I am glad you are enjoying some flying. I hope that you and Jay can settle down off the road. I enjoy being home and away from the long road trips fllowing the music trail. I had a blast and made a lot of money. There something about waking up in a hotel not remembering what city your in. Will I go back to music? Maybe. I still get calls for bookings and I sit in sometimes for bands needing a singer or keyboard while a memeber is out sick. Those i enjoy doing with no contract or commitments. I am enjoying retirement more right now. Hey there is a new Trex500Pro coming out and it looks good. Wow, it is hard to find just an airframe anymore.

I am leaving for Woofruff SC for the Joe Nall eFly-in that started today. I had to fight to get tomorrow off. I like to go down on Fridays. My son and his family live really close and it gives me a chance to see them.

Andy, are you driving up for that one?

Matty hang in there with HK and ALWAYS use Paypal never checks or cash. If you used a credit card you can contest the purchase and let them handle it. Simply get in touch with the provider and tell them about the fruad. 10 days for a refund tells me they are going after the provider. If you use Paypal get yourself a Paypal Mastercard and put in a limit, say 200 bucks. You can change the limit anytime. That is what I use for anything online that I purchase or bill paying. NEVER MY CC from my bank.

Jim
Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Mack66

Matty, I feel your pain. Nothing worse than a mail order gone bad. Recently I ordered a servo from a little place in Madison, Wisconsin called Hobby Horse. They invoiced me but failed to give me a tracking number. I started to get concerned, so called them on a Saturday. Guy said their mail order people only work M-F. I told him that's okay, I'll call Monday. And I did. Now up to now you're expecting a sad story, right? Nope! They connected directly to the woman who knew everything. She took my name and found me. A few clicks on the keyboard and she told me it was out for delivery today! And yes, a few hours later, my servo was delivered.

The moral to the story is that there ARE suppliers out there who do know what they're doing and sometimes have hiccups in their systems. What JD said is spot on though trust nobody on the net, well maybe a little after you have a good business relationship with them, but staff does change and so does ownership!!! HK is now officially on my you-know-what list.

Donica, so glad to see you're trying to settle in somewhere. In my career I've been all over the world. Sounds exciting to many people but the fact is you just get tired of eating alone, living in hotel rooms out of a suitcase, while people at home get to sleep in their own comfy beds. I mean, after a while you learn to memorize where everything is in the hotel room so you can get up in the middle of the night in the dark without running into anything. I know you guys like Baton Rouge, so here's hoping that you negotiate something good and permanent there! And if you do, you'll eventually meet us, since we do pass though there at least once or twice a year it seems.

JD, you have become the supreme expert in RC electronics! Boy when I decide to go electric some day, I'm coming to you. You da man.

And now for the long-awaited next installment of the Rat Club Chronicles!!! (Where are my fans these days?) Went out last Saturday and had a good time, flew a couple times. Nobody misbehaved. Then the weather got bad on Sunday. Then everybody got busy through the week. Finally, yesterday we all headed for the field. Joel was out there with his giant scale YAK to amuse us. Although he does fly a T-Rex 90, he likes to fly the YAK and hover it, and do lots of wild aerobatics. Makes for a fun time to sit and watch him. I flew once and got my sea legs back. Haven't flown much this past couple months and having just fixed the Phoenix, I thought it wise to go easy and slowly get back into it. Did a bunch of lazy 8's, then some stall turns. Things looked good so went for the loop. It came out better than expected. Joel thought it was a bit tight, but I was pretty happy with it. Thought about doing rolls but then I was getting low on fuel so brought her in.

Meanwhile, Ronnie and Greg were still working on Ronnie's SDX. Apparently this had been going on for about three weeks now. Repairs had been done on this heli, and it was time to get it started again. The engine was highly cantankerous. Took them almost an hour to get it sorted so it would start and not stall. Guess the carb had been torn down for a cleaning so you know how that goes. Anyhow, they got it going, tracked the blades, but had big time vibration issues. Since Greg had a smoothly running SDX they decided to swap the entire head/blade/mainshaft assembly, putting Greg's on Ronnies. A test flight showed marked improvement, but still had vibration issues. We all chimed in asking all the usual questions about balancing blades, paddles etc etc, but they had done all that (that's what they always say, eh?). Ok, next test put Ronnies mast on Greg's SDX. Greg hovered out, observed, then headed South. About 40 feet out he did a mild pylon turn to left and suddenly it started heading for the groung. Greg struggled to keep it out of the grass and managed to land it. After shutting down we learned that he had fractured one of the SD wash out control arms!!! Nobody had ever seen that happen before.

So here we had an example of almost crashing to 1/2's of a helicopter. Had he crashed, both of them would have lost. But he didn't. Another good reason for trusting your master pilots to help you check out your equipment. I know I would have lost it had that happened to me. At least I think I know.

Oh yeah, while all this was going one, thunderstorms started circling the field with huge bolts of lightning. We all decided that we best hit the road before we got zapped. Still, we had a good time. The weekend looks good for flying so will probably be out there both days if I can!

Y'all get out there and stir up some air! Sure hope the Joe Nall goes well. Someday I hope to make it there.

Mack
Old 10-06-2011, 06:36 AM
dooleyje

Hello everyone. It has been a busy week. I have a TT Titan X50 I am setting up for a client. Very nice helicopter. The weather has been cool with snow in the higher elevations. I have not flown that much this week and I am loaded up to go out this afternoon. Nothing new to report,

See Ya,

Jim
Old 10-06-2011, 08:35 AM
BarracudaHockey

Snow?? It just broke in to the 70's and 80's and the weather is tollerable here!

Yea, I saw a couple of the team pilots playing with the x50s at Orlando last year, they look nice.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 PM
marg2

Jim: Mariano here I'm back fixing the helimax 50 replaced the Tx and to bind my Rx had to disconnect all wiring now I'm confuse with the rx wiring need help on a ar7000 specktrum got 5 servos + giro conected direct to the servo itself
thro = motor servo
bat=bat
Rud= tail + giro all in 1 wire to the Rx
ailerons= swatch blades
elevator on a plane will be on a heli=?
Picth will be aux 1 0r 2 ?

Got all manuals but the ar7000 is missing, can you help me guess been learnig planes for to long that became a person intead of a pilot like flyachopper said once.
honestly got to learn to fly planes but helis are my passion,
Will be reading you all comment more often
Thanks
Mariano ( marg2)
have a great day
Old 10-08-2011, 10:38 PM
cajungirl

Hey, hi y'all,
Seems like a long time since scribblin' here so I just had to. We've been doin' fine. We always enjoy Baton Rouge. As usual I've been full time busy scarin' newbie nurses into learnin' a few things. This's my element and it's not like workin' for a livin'.

We've been gettin' in some really good flyin' time lately. Since we last talked we've gone through a gallon of fuel and tons of recharges on LiPos. Sure is good to be back in the groove again with the helis.

Now, it was my understandin' that our next build was to be one of the 700s, buuutttt oh nooooo!! Yesterday Jay dug a coupla boxes out of the trailer that I didn't know he had along. While we were in Nebr. he boxed up his old Cricket and stashed it in the trailer. Now he's makin' all these plans to rebuild that one to brand new. He's havin' one of those nostalgic periods 'bout "the first days of heli use leading to addiction". He wants a piece of his past back. I'm gonna be all over this little restoration. Looks like a really cool project with a difference from all the other buildin' we've done lately. So, here we go into the dusty world of finding rare parts and figgerin' out how to make the ones we have like new. All the parts are there, but very well worn and sittin' for a real long time. Wish us luck and we'll keep you up on the job.

Have any of ya ever seen this site???
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=333626

Came across this researching the Cricket online. There's actualy a lot out there on the Cricket and this one has some really cool stuff on old relic rc helis. Gosh, even some from the 70s. Way back in the last century. Check out the videos of the one with the motor on top of the main rotor. Hey, no kiddin'. The sound it makes is more like a ufo with a bad muffler.

Gotta go. It's my turn to decide where to have and buy breakfast so better git ta gittin'.

Please be safe, healthy and happy.

Oh yeah, and chocolate to you Matty.

Donica

Old 10-09-2011, 05:34 AM
dooleyje

Hey Donica, Yes I have posted on the other site often. The old birds Did not fly that well,,,, HA. compaired to what we have today. Wow, that sure brings back memories. It is surptising the old helis out there and for the most part parts availability in the internet.

Mariano, The elevator channel 3 is the same as an airplane and the pitch will be channel 6/aux1. Is that helimax CCPM ? then you would use 120 degree swash program in the radio. If not you would use 90 degree. The rudder servo plugs into the gyro and the gyro plugs into the receiver channel4. The gyro gain will use channel 5

I have a lot going on with setups and heli building.. The TTX50 Titan was a nice project. I deliver it today. It is a very nice heli. I don't like the way the main shaft uses a collar under the top bearing block. It is sorta one of those things you want to see so you can remember to check it. Super heli otherwise.

I have my Trex600 down and I am swapping the FBL system out to try a Beastx on it. I am removing a 3g system. The 3G system is flawless but I wanted to try the Beastx.

Hey I have actually had a chance to fly this week with mid 70 temps and calm winds. Man , WHAT A GOOD TIME WE HAD.

Jim
Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 AM
BarracudaHockey

Headed out to Hodges Hobbies in Andersonville GA for the all electric fly in.

Taking my big Jet Ranger and 106" Husky glider tug and some small stuff.

I'll post some pictures of the helicopter action when I get back.

Y'all have a great weekend!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 AM
matty_p80

Jimbo,

any chance you know what number i have to use to get the shims used on the feathering shaft for the Blade 400 3D? not the stepped washer that goes against the bearing on the head side of the blade grip but the actual flat shims?

am a little disappointed with the design of the ally head for the B400 as the seesaw goes through the middle of it and once you've put the bearings in place it is near impossible to get them back out without damaging anything! so far i haven't been able to achieve it and am having to go back to the plastic head and seesaw!

hope everyone else is gooooood!

be back in Germany soon so will be attacking the Apache with all vigour!

p,l,c+mh

Matty
Old 10-13-2011, 09:23 AM
matty_p80

dual post, sorry!

Matty
Old 10-13-2011, 10:58 AM
dooleyje

Matty, you can use the Blades CP shims part number EFLH1144, or order the hardware pack EFLH 1473. The shim between the inner race and inner bearing would be eflh1420

See Ya,

Jim
Old 10-15-2011, 11:42 AM
pab81448

Hi everyone,

Iam new to any forum but need an answer to a question
I have a Helimax novus 125 fp after flying a Helimax AXE cx.I was good at flying the cx but having a big learningcurve with the fp
Each time I have a hard landing the pinion gear on the main rotor gear slides off the drive shaft andI have to take everything apart to put the pinion gear back on.
Can I put some ca glue on the pinion connection to solve this problem or will this cause other problems
Thanks to any one that can help
PAB81448

Old 10-15-2011, 11:21 PM
matty_p80

thanks once again Jimbo, you are a veritable mine, nay wealth, of information! but i did order three bags of the hardware and the shims are not included in that, everything else is, including the bits that are used only in dire emergecies, i.e. you've burnt the motor out or totally destroyed the frame!!!

the Budgie lives again! i will endeavour to get some proper footage with the onboard camera before i leave Rota as the first lot was just to see what the view range was and how much distortion there was from the vibration!

gotta go to work (always gets in the way!)

p,l,c+mh

Matty
Old 10-16-2011, 04:35 AM
dooleyje

Pab, Welcome to the thread. Yes you can mount the gear that may or use thread locker,

Jim
Old 10-17-2011, 05:57 AM
dooleyje

Mack, where you at sir? I miss the Rat Pack.

The rain last week kept is indoors for a few days and now the wind picked up in the 20's. You have to go early when it's calm. I am enjoying a lot of flying lately and getting ready for our clubs Electric warbird fly-in on Sat. No I did not use a military fuselage. Actually a lot of folks are sold out. I purchased a PK SE5 biplane and I will fly the stores Spitfire. We started our in door fly-in and will have them twice a month. Later on when the weather is bad the fly-in will be a blessing. Last fly-in I pounded my MCPX so hard on the gym floor I knocked some solder point loose. I was able to have a friend re do them for me. The points are sooo tiny that I can't see the solder pads. I have my Trex600 electronics torn down in preperation of installing a Beastx fbl system. I know how great it flew with the 3G system so I want to experiment to see the differences in standard setup before the tweaking.

I finally got my hands on a Futaba 701 gyro/gov sytem. It is about like all the other Futaba offerings....SUPER
Andy I hope the wind wasn't too strong for the event. It was huffing here.

Later all,

JIM
Old 10-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Mack66

I am back, JD. We went on a two week trip to Tucson, AZ and Laughlin, NV. In Tucson, we attended the 189th Assault Helicopter Company reunion. Had a great time visiting with my fellow soldiers door gunners, crew chiefs, and pilots. A few more first time attendees added lots of interest. We went on a tour of the "Bone Yard" where every manner of aircraft are stored and either rebuilt or parted out. They have a long line of aircraft ranging over many decades. There is also a museum on site where there are lots more aircraft to visit up close and personal. Needless to say the three day reunion went very fast and we were soon all saying out goodbyes.

We then took off for Laughlin where we gambled and ate and drank. It was fun and the weather was terrific. Got home Sunday pm and were all unpacked and put away by 5pm. Total distance travelled was 2900 miles. Added to the 6000 mile trip to Nova Scotia and back totals 8900 miles in the last 3 months.

It's great to be home. Now I would go out and fly my Sceadu, but <ahem> that's not currently possible because of a slight uh, mishap?

Yep, another Rat Club Chronicle. The Saturday before departing for Tucson, I was out there flying my Sceadu finally tuned and setup and flying good. I was flying on the shorter runway while the planks were flying the main runway. I had gotten my confidence back and was getting back into rolls and loops. Now for some unknown reason I decided to initiate a loop upwind of me in such a way that I was looking at the loop edgewise. Bad idea. At the apex of the loop I paused too long at zero pitch, got dumb thumbs ('Cuda thumbs?) then lost orientation. By the time I'd gotten the thing leveled out it was descending way to fast and hit the dirt. Sigh. From now on I'm only flying lazy eights within a few days of leaving town for any reason!!!

I was not alone. A new pilot who had joined our ranks had dusted off his old Nexus .30 and was relearning how to fly it when all of the sudden he augured in. Nobody saw him crash so we aren't sure what happened. Result was the same though and finding parts for his heli will be quite a challenge, I'm sure. He'll probably just go for a new one.

Sooo, tomorrow I go to Greg's house and pick up the remaining parts I need to once again, resurrect the Phoenix. Hey, at least I'm getting good entertainment for my dollars, and nothing ventured nothing gained. Guess I'd better go get those parts soon. Still need main blades, servo tray, main shaft and lower main shaft bearing holder. Frame is together but bearing holder needs to go in before I move on.

Glad to see Jay and Donica chewing up the skies, and JD getting in some stick time too.

Matty, looking forward to some thrilling videos bring 'em on!

Karl, where you at man?

Mariano and Pab, welcome to our little thread. Keep us posted on your progress. I'm just a newbie so don't have a lot of answers but lots of questions!

Keep 'em flyin'!

Mack

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.