Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Man is Arrested for attempted Attack!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Man is Arrested for attempted Attack!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:45 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Man is Arrested for attempted Attack!

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

In my local news, here in Florida, a picture of a very nice Black Bunny F-4 Phantom (ducted fan, or turbine?) was shown to be one of the planes he was trying to use in his plot.
I got first dibs on that jet when it is released.

On another point, this guys' plan was severely flawed. Cyclonite (C4) will not explode upon impact. It is a very stable compound. Cyclonite needs a detonator, which this guy didn't know.

I doubt very much that this lunatic would be able to fly a plane through a window while he is half a mile away, and after it crashed, be able to activate a detonator. Totally ridiculous.

Totally in agreement, this wannabe is not the sharpest tool in the shed. If you try to purchase on line of some of the stuff he was attempting to purchase, you are in for a surprise at delivery time. No, that is not really the UPS guy:-) On the other hand, lunatics like this one are better not in circulation.

One reporter wrote about 80" wingspan models able to carry 50 lb:-) I want a jet kit of those:-)

Gerry

Old 09-29-2011, 03:52 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd sure hate to be the guy(s) who sold this jerkwad the jets. I have to imagine with the images that have been put up that the sellers have seen their planes now. We shouldn't be surprised to find that he used RCU to make the purchase either...
Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Just now saw this story on Fox News. No big fuss at all was made over the RC aspect of it, no mention at all was made of regulating or banning RC jets or planes. Although, they did show several shots of the jets, which doesn't help our situation here. The story dealt with the individual, his background, and motives, not so much on the method of implementation of his jihad ('jihad' was the word used by the NY FBI guy being interviewed.)

I hope the attention stays on the Islamic terrorist, and not the RC aspect of his jihad.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

I doubt very much that this lunatic would be able to fly a plane through a window while he is half a mile away, and after it crashed, be able to activate a detonator. Totally ridiculous.
What is ridiculous is how he could be within half a mile in any direction of the Capitol where he'd have enough open space to take either of those off yet still be inconspicuous enough to not draw attention. You can't fart within 100 yards of anything down there without someone taking notice.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:58 AM
invert0914
My Feedback: (17)

Let's hope we won't have further regulations forced on us.

With all of the extra large giant scale airplanes (100lbs+) out there and the readily available GPS devices, that could be used as an autopilot out of the line of sight, I'm surprised that this is the first time someone has attempted it.

Not a good day for our hobby...
[/quote]
PLEASE USE YOUR HEADS PEOPLE, LETS NOT BE DRAMA QUEENS AND BRING ATTENTION TO A STORY THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS HOBBY!!!!! The feds don't ban all cars and trucks that have been used in boombings. We don't remove all guns used in sinceless murders or shootings. Why does there seem to be so much doom and gloom in this Rc community. GGRRRRRRR. WHAT REGULATIONS ARE BEING FORCED ON YOU NOW!!!!! Find a new topic about accual RC Aircraft to talk about and learn, and I don't mean another topic to ***** about and stretch into something its not. Just my observation of what I see happining all the time here on RCU. Why the hell would people email Dave or anyone about this. Did you all call the head NRA last night after 3 guys used a riffle to kill 3 innocent shopers to see if you where gonna have your guns banned.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:02 AM
outdoorhunting

I got it !! I got it !! Had to read it twice but ,I got it!! Ya ment "headgear." Hehehehe
Old 09-29-2011, 04:16 AM
guille2006

A few months ago, we had a couple of guys asking for a "fast plane capable of carrying one or two Kg of payload". The question was the first post of the man and he pointed also that he ignored almost everything about our hobby.
The thread scattered a cascade of possitive and negative answers...
As an UAV designer and looking for a work to do (the post was in that area) I asked him through a PM the typical questions: "waht do you want to carry? How far? How Fast? WHO FUNDS?"... I did not receive any serious answer!!!!
A few months later, another person asked the same questions... another newbie; another cascade of positive and negative answers...
Well; here we are... with a stupid making authorities to put an eye on us...
Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

What scares me is what DHS might get a bug up their butts to do. But on the other hand Nissan can still sell Pathfinders despite some idiot trying to load it with explosives in Times Square.
Absolutely a great point here. And we can still rent a Ryder truck after some nut parked one outside of the Federal Building in OKC. Or we can fly on an airliner after 9-11.

Hopefully there will be some common sense about this in that it's not what is used, but rather the nut trying to do something bad with it.

But like others, I'm afraid we may see some irrational blowback from this. I hope not though.

Ken

If common sense is so common thhen how come so few have it? At the very least...each flyer will now have to endure looks when they stop at the gas station to get a soda and folks see that large RC airplane in the back of your truck. Just like everybody who wears a towell on there head isn't a terrorist.....we as a flyers will have a endure a bit of that rush to judgement for awhile as well I am afraid.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

that looks like some nitroplanes junk...you can tell he doesnt know much about the hobby because be actually bought somthing from nitroplanes lol
Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

What scares me is what DHS might get a bug up their butts to do. But on the other hand Nissan can still sell Pathfinders despite some idiot trying to load it with explosives in Times Square.
Absolutely a great point here. And we can still rent a Ryder truck after some nut parked one outside of the Federal Building in OKC. Or we can fly on an airliner after 9-11.

Hopefully there will be some common sense about this in that it's not what is used, but rather the nut trying to do something bad with it.

But like others, I'm afraid we may see some irrational blowback from this. I hope not though.

Ken

If common sense is so common thhen how come so few have it? At the very least...each flyer will now have to endure looks when they stop at the gas station to get a soda and folks see that large RC airplane in the back of your truck. Just like everybody who wears a towell on there head isn't a terrorist.....we as a flyers will have a endure a bit of that rush to judgement for awhile as well I am afraid.
We all know common sence is not common!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 AM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Now That is funny!!! The Nitroplanes reference that is
Old 09-29-2011, 04:56 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets hope this does not cause any issues for us, the threat of stealing a small plane (full size) to do this is far greater , and how about car bombs, that is the real threat martin
Old 09-29-2011, 05:08 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks.!! (RCU Policies)

I violated this edict by referring to the "perp" as a "navigator of dromedarian animals". I did not realize that my use of that term offended, inflammed, insulted or degraded someone specifically in this forum or elsewhere in RCU. RCU saw fit to remove my post due to me using the term C**** D*****. So sorry for that.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 09-29-2011, 05:13 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: BobH

The parking lot of the pentagon is so big you could take of a turbin from it easily..Then you fly into the building near a window.. How much damage? Maybe not a lot but it could kill someone or two.. or more. C-4 aint fire crackers ya know.

The threat is serious enough for the FBI to be involved with this guy since March of this year. Besides he also bought some AK-47's etc.. when learned ? people say.. ''what??? fly a plane into the WTC.. you gotta be kidding!''.. ya.. right!
Not what I meant. Why don't you go to any large parking lot in the DC area, unpack your gear, fuel up, and get off the ground before being swamped by an army in trench coats and ear pieces.

Also what silentAV8TR said about being setup is true. The FBI has a record of setting up dumb schmucks like this, giving them money to plan and partially execute some plot, then they bust him to show the public what a good job they are doing countering terrorism. I am more concerned about the smarter ones who are funded from Saudi Arabia, not the dipstuffs that are funded from Quantico.

I would hope that there are enough American consumers of "news" who have it in them to say "Oh! C'mon!" when the see schtuff like this.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:29 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I think this is what helps keep the FBI funded by setting up morons like this guy.
The media's misinformation and sensationalism on the RC aspect of this plot is what may hurt.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:43 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut
I would hope that there are enough American consumers of ''news'' who have it in them to say ''Oh! C'mon!'' when the see schtuff like this.
At less more than half of 535 one would hope,, ya neve know
Old 09-29-2011, 05:44 AM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

I agree that this "plot" is not really feasible, but lets not be naive enough to believe that it cannot affect us. Most of the public has no idea what model planes are or are not capable of. They see drones bombing people in Afghanistan and believe models could do the same. I hope AMA is working overtime right now to put this fire out!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 AM
Saburo Sakai

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

no more turbines at the field !!!

get it?

turbines?
Nice one...........INFIDEL!!!

Old 09-29-2011, 05:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Read again

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

A 26-year-old Massachusetts man has been arrested and accused of plotting to destroy the Pentagon and U.S. Capitol with large remote-controlled aircraft filled with explosives.

That was the article, the FBI reportsays it was to be a UOA with GPS, not remote controlled.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Warbirdguy

Im still wondering how a turbine jet could even carry enough explosives to do the damage the media is hyping. They say "using a remotely controled model airplane packed full of explosives to ...Destroy...the pentagon and capitol buildings". lol Just carrying enough fuel to fly puts the jet on the edge of being able to fly. And where would one put any explosives? Post some pictures of your jets internals. Only open space is in the nose and if you add that much weight there, it aint gonna get off the ground anyways.

Just the typical media feeding freenzy lol. Also, the reference to the show "24" is laughable. Thats not REALITY. OMG You can do anything in a movie or TV show. Just scarey sometimes of the mentality of some when it comes to common sence stuff.

Now, On the other hand. Im glad our protecters used this kind of tactic to bring out in the open a person of threat to our well being. Yes, it was a sting. But the end result is one more crazy off the streets. Doesnt matter who he is affiliated with. It went from in his head to implimenting it. Therefore he was taken down. I applaud the FBI for removing one more nut job. Yes, we got a bruise from colateral damage, but education is the key. AMA should step up and chime in with intellegent information, not just a knee jerk reaction.

I for one believe the TRUE terrorist already has studied this plan of attack and found it not realistically doable. At least with what is being quoted as used. Makes for good Hollywood drama, but not feasable in reality. I know you guys that say you work on UAV's would argue that point, but, thats NOT what he had. He had what we all buy from the hobby stores. That is the fact, not the Hollywood version

WBG
Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

This is all very unsettling. I hope they do not start looking at regulating this hobby. If they outlaw or severely regulate R/C then "only the bad guys will have RC". Almost all of us with perhaps a handful of exceptions - as was just demonstrated by the arrest, are law abiding citizen who simply want to enjoy the many great positive benetfits this hobby has to offer - not to mention the educational benefits to young and old alike. We "legitimate" R/C enthusiast far outnumber the few that have darker intentions and we should use that to our advantage to help police our hobby and raise suspicions if we see anything that does not seem right. The aforementioned posts by "newbies" who were requesting speed and payload info is a good example of this. I cannot remember, but I may have actually responded to one of these, but saw no replies posted. Perhaps the DHS should use us as their eyes and ears as oposed to simply over reacting and limiting the hobby.

Steve
Old 09-29-2011, 06:11 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the grand scheme of things, ANYTHING can be used as a weapon. Not a big surprise here that it was attempted. It would take a lot more than throwing a few components together to get this thing to work. By the time all the flight testing was done, you would be caught.

Sure it could happen... The Redskins could start winning again... both doubtful.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Dumb ass. Find out how he got C-4. Not the plane.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Warbirdguy

LOL good one about the redskins.

And one day, UT will beat Bama again [:-]
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 AM
bpasternak
My Feedback: (4)

The AMA should put out a press release correcting the news media's erroneous statements and asking all Clubs with a website post the AMA information so that the general public, when they do an internet search, will be flooded with pro-R/C and correct information regarding our hobby.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.