Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Building a Buggy Eating Savage

Old 09-15-2011, 02:49 AM
Firestorm Maff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building a Buggy Eating Savage

Thanks Yakfish, I'm pleased with it so far.
The engine is awesome when tuned properly. It pulls wheelies easily and the acceleration is impressive for a savage.
The shell is the Landrover Defender, very similar to the bronco. For a hpi shell its pretty rugged. It wasn't the intended shell for this truck as I wanted something a little more aerodynamic, but it will do until I destroy the other Defender shell I use on the Savage I use for jumping.
I like modding my trucks for a dedicated purpose so the one pictured will probably never hit a jump.
I would hate to break them carbon side plates!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 PM
domizgood

I think this whole idea of trying to change the savage MT in to something else is fantastic!! That's what rcing is about, having fun a pushing the boundaries. The savage looks great and thank you for making this thread and sticking with it even with some of the 'stick in the mud' comments that have been posted.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM
wminmi
My Feedback: (26)

Nice work on the Savage....gives me some ideas

"let the haters hate.....so long as they fear"
Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Firestorm Maff

The trucks have been shelved over the last couple months.
Did the new shell over christmas and fitted digital radio gear. I have a bunch of other mods ready to go on when i get time, including digital steering servo which will make a big difference.
Also ordered some Losi LST shocks and yellow springs (stiff) which will look good with the body.
Found some free time today to get out with a couple trucks so took the XL for some bashing on a muddy field and the race modded Savage for a few test runs along the road.
This is still very much a work in progress. Wheel alignment is way off, tuning wasnt great, plug was probably too cold, but i couldnt resist putting a little dirt on it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EexBBJ_OE0s[/youtube]

That was a rather sticky field.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:10 PM
purenitro33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool project and nice looking truck but I have to say, that pipe is doing the picco no justice, you will see a substantial gain in power and rpm if you were to put a tuned pipe on there. I'm not a hater, just trying to help you out.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Firestorm Maff

I know. Out of all rear exit exhausts the RD Logics one seems best, but im sacrificing power for the noise/look.
However the original plan was to take on a buggy so at some point i will need to get a serious exhaust.
In the mean time i will stick with the RDL while the truck is still being built. If i need to i can use the Buku Power Exhaust from the XL.
Handling first, power second.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:02 PM
llkoolskillet

Umm the ERCM 221t endbleed will make more power then the Buku pipe. Im just sayin
Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Firestorm Maff

The Buku pipe doesnt cost more than the engine. Im just sayin.