Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Looks vey sleek. What's the history of this plane is that company still in business?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
mobileraptor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

I have very little information on it. I tried a year or so ago to researce it, but found all most no info on it.

The plans are hand drawn with normal hand writing for various notes. There is no date on the plans and the plans are not to scale.

The name on the plans are RS Hobby Products in Oaklawn Ill 60453. phone 312-458-6994. i didn't try calling.

64 inch ws
49 inch fusaloge
.61 motor

There is a flyer for another plane, fiberglass fuse and foam wings they produced.

it is a MIG 21
48 inch ws
55 inch fuse
.60 ci motor
690 sq in
8.5 lbs

One reason I like this plane is because there is no info on it. I allways hated showing up a the field and there three if the same plane I brought with me.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 PM
mobileraptor

I did find my old post on it and the general consenses was it was a re-kit of an older pattern plan called a Viper. But I really don't know.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
mobileraptor

Found a picture of what is supose to be a viper and this plane does not look like it. One of the features of the F-1 is it has a raised spin down the cener top of the fuse. the Viper does not havbe it.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:34 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MR,

these two last pictures of a "Viper" don't match, the one is not the same as the other but I suppose names like Viper were common in those days for models - there might have been a number of them.

If memory serves, someone here on the forum used to run Skyglass and he's still active. I believe he attended some of the classic events that have been organized in the last couple of years or so. I forget his name and handle unfortunately but I'm sure someone else will recall.

David.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:35 PM
mobileraptor

found another picture of the flyer

Old 10-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Michaelj2k

ORIGINAL: mobileraptor

Found a picture of what is supose to be a viper and this plane does not look like it. One of the features of the F-1 is it has a raised spin down the cener top of the fuse. the Viper does not havbe it.

Hi raptor,
I own the viper shown in the first photo. Here's a link with some information. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7069841. Scroll down to post #7.

I'm working on it right now, doing some light glass work and installations. It will fly with either a ST .56 or .60 and Kraft radio. Dario's design is much different and related in name only.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 AM
mobileraptor

Thanks for the info

Viper F-1
Wing span 67.5 61.0
Fuseloge 64.0 49.0
Old 10-06-2011, 08:57 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: doxilia

MR,

these two last pictures of a "Viper" don't match, the one is not the same as the other but I suppose names like Viper were common in those days for models - there might have been a number of them.

If memory serves, someone here on the forum used to run Skyglass and he's still active. I believe he attended some of the classic events that have been organized in the last couple of years or so. I forget his name and handle unfortunately but I'm sure someone else will recall.

David.
David,
Ithink you might be thinking of Ralph White, he was at the Chicago Classic last year and this past year too. I believe he had something to do with Skyglas kits. Perhaps he'll see this and chime in for us. I vaguely recall that kit, never did see one, but the name "R&S Hobbies certainly rang a bell. If I recall it was located on Cicero Avesomewhat south of95th Street, in Oak Lawn, IL. Long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....!
Mark.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:45 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, as far as anyone knows SKYGLASS is not in business any longer? I would not want to make a mold of a kit that some body else is making. Also Is there enough interest out there for guys to buy it?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: hook57
David,
I think you might be thinking of Ralph White, he was at the Chicago Classic last year and this past year too. I believe he had something to do with Skyglas kits. Perhaps he'll see this and chime in for us. I vaguely recall that kit, never did see one, but the name ''R&S Hobbies certainly rang a bell. If I recall it was located on Cicero Ave somewhat south of 95th Street, in Oak Lawn, IL. Long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....!
Mark.
That's right Mark - Ralph White. Perhaps he will chime in. Do you recall what model he was flying in Chicago? I believe it might have been a vintage Skyglass kit from quite some time ago.

Don, other than that, I doubt that the company still exists but what do I know. R&S Hobbies must have been one of the various names of distributors that existed for the pattern market in those days (among other stuff I would imagine).

David.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:55 AM
mobileraptor

Well, just for ***** and giggles, I called the phone number and it is disconnected, no telling how long.

According to the flyer, RC Modeler Magazine did a review of it. Now if someone could find a copy of the review that would give us a ball park of when the kit was made. With that documentation it could possibly be certified for Classic Pattern.

If it where certified for classic pattern I beleive there would be some interest in it. Espically sence the are none available. Since I purchased this kit I have only seen one other and it was here on the fourms. So, out of how many kits they made there are two known in existance. My Kind of plane, how many kaos's are there around, hundreds, thousands.

I guess it's just me, I want something different from everyone else.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 PM
doxilia

MR,

if it's a Skyglass kit or otherwise, judging from the lines of that ship, there is little doubt it is a classic. Probably developed in the '70's.

Ray, our resident librarian and vintage expert, might have more info on the subject. I believe his RCM collection is pretty good.

David.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:18 PM
mobileraptor

Heres the top of the box

Here is the plans legend.

I find the alerion setup kind of weird, never seen one go through the wing top to bottom.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:22 PM
doxilia

That aileron setup was done that way no doubt to allow the tail servos to ride in the rear of the wing bay in the shallow fuse. If the torque rods exited the top, they would have interfered with the tail servos of yesteryear.

Nowadays it's not a problem - we just use two outboard servos on ailerons. Heck, we even use embedded servos in our retracts!

David.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:56 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad geometry on those linkages! "Reverse differential" I'd say?

Dave
Old 10-06-2011, 07:18 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: doxilia

ORIGINAL: hook57
David,
Ithink you might be thinking of Ralph White,...............Mark.
That's right Mark - Ralph White. Perhaps he will chime in. Do you recall what model he was flying in Chicago? I believe it might have been a vintage Skyglass kit from quite some time ago.

Don, other than that, I doubt that the company still exists but what do I know. R&S Hobbies must have been one of the various names of distributors that existed for the pattern market in those days (among other stuff I would imagine).

David.
Yep, I do. He was flying the same Saturn he flew (that I watched him fly!) in the late seventies and it was a Skyglas kit; OPS for power IIRC. I beleve R&S was a distributor of sorts, but a few guys in our club were from that area and mentioned it often. There was a radio produced in the seventies that I believe was RS, or R&S, had a somewhat bright orange vinyl clad Tx. I recall it because they did produce a single stick, but I'm not sure if the two were related.
Mark

I'll PM Ralph and see what he says.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:54 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where does the name, "Reuther", come in here ? Bob Reuther from TN ? Was he connected with Skyglas ?
================================================== ================================================== =========================================

Editing this post. I just researched "Skyglas", post's from 2007, RCU. See below, I am sure the licensing they are talking about doesn't hold any water.
Vince

I recently checked, the owner of Hobby Barn (Tucson I think) still has molds for the Arrow and Atlas, Curare and others I believe. He is not interested in selling them and told me he still has the rights to them. I would rather not get in a conflict with anyone over something as ridiculous as that so it'll be up to someone else to kit those. I actually have an in the box Vertigo II. That's a Bob Reuther design and it seems like there may have been as co-designer. Bob was owner of Hobby World in Nashville and was a pretty capable racer and pattern flier. Those molds were Skyglas and I imagine they are in the package purchased by the owners of Wing Manufacturing. I don't know where they stand on kits. I agree, those are some great designs.

George

Old 10-08-2011, 08:53 AM
doxilia

It's be interesting to learn about the rights passage of the Atlas and Arrow. If Skyglass bought rights to them and those were eventually sold to Wing Mfg, Don Turnock apparently bought the rights and Wing Mfg company from them to produce/sell all the cores they produced. I\m not sure if this was strictly the wing/core division or the entirety of the company. Molds for the Arrow are a must I feel. The Atlas has been taken care of given Jeff had a Skyglas Atlas kit. Rusty has a nice FG Arrow replica - it looks very much like the MK version. I have an MK 40 Arrow in the box which, if built well, could result in a FG fuse/cores but I doubt there is much interest in a 40 size model.

Just thinking aloud Vince,

David.

P.S. Thanks for the info Mark.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:14 PM
crankpin

I have posted these fuselage pictures on past post's. Maybe repeating myself, and not trying to hijack this great thread. I was on the west coast of FL, buying some Kraft wheels. I forget his name right now, he has a Hanson built Curare, (I pronounce that correct?), there, a Kristenson built Summit 120 powered, and the Conquest VI kit. The fuselage pictured here, he called it a Curare, has a bent tail. After posting on RCU, many answers came back, that it is an Atlas. Pat at www.lasercutusa.com has moved to about 20 miles from me, here in south FL. He has cut a built up wing and stab for it, go get it soon as I can get up there. Looking at this fuselage, Atlas ? I am going to cut this stab off, put the straight stab in.

Vince
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30414.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1671235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55996.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1671236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81192.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1671237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68203.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1671238  
Old 10-08-2011, 12:35 PM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: crankpin
The fuselage pictured here, he called it a Curare, has a bent tail. After posting on RCU, many answers came back, that it is an Atlas.
Vince, "many" is probably an understatement, I'd say umpteen!

Looking at this fuselage, Atlas ?
See comment above - doubt no more...

Looking forward to seeing a framed up Atlas wing and stab!

David.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:19 PM
crankpin

Just got back from a party. I was hoping a new person would come on here, and share some info.
V
Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 PM
doxilia

Just had a party with my kids myself!

Feeling renewed and rejuvenated - altogether a new man!

David.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm at a party right now, in-law's are doing well. Going to brother-in-law's to watch Sazuka in ten minutes. MSC has the most tires left of anyone.
Chris...
Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 AM
gkaraolides

Hi,

I am going to cut this stab off, put the straight stab in.
While you're restoring the correct wing and tailplane, you might consider fitting the correct canopy as well. I think it would look much better with it.

Don, who started this thread, can supply Atlas canopies. I am hoping to get a couple from him soon, together with a pair of glassfibre Atlas fuselages.

Best regards,

George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.