Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

axle bend problem....

Old 10-07-2011, 10:51 PM
pangpang_man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle bend problem....

Does any one have a extra Tamiya Tiger I Transmission axle(Left - connecting to sprocket) that can sell it to me?
I just found my left axle had bent. And what kind of bearings are suitable for Tamiya and HL tanks and where?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30803.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1671086  
Old 10-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: axle bend problem....

Check with Karen at the museum and see if they have any parts.

~ Jeff
Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Which transmission? The one on the right is the Type 1, and parts have not been available for some time now. On the left, looks like a Type 3, for which parts may or may not be had. Tamiya discontinued the overhaul kits for the transmissions a year or more ago, and more's the pity for that little move.

Bearings, any sealed bearing of the proper size will work. Check out Boca Bearings, they'll have what you need. Check all 4 bearings, two in each trans. If they feel 'sandy' when they rotate, get new ones. It's and easy install. You do not need super razzle dazzle expensive bearings, as the final drive shaft rotates slowly. However, Boca has consistently good quality, so go with them would be my recommendation.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:31 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Bearings, any sealed bearing of the proper size will work. Check out Boca Bearings, they'll have what you need. Check all 4 bearings, two in each trans. If they feel 'sandy' when they rotate, get new ones. It's and easy install. You do not need super razzle dazzle expensive bearings, as the final drive shaft rotates slowly. However, Boca has consistently good quality, so go with them would be my recommendation.
+1 I like to use rubber shielded bearings for at least the output shafts because they seal out dirt and debris better.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:46 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, I neglected to state that all bearings used in our tanks should be sealed to prevent dirt and debris from entering the bearing.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:11 AM
pangpang_man

The left one with black cover, I have indicated the axle with red circle. Do you have any of them?
Can you tell me which bearing is the best?I don't even know which "Application" and "Manufacturer" I should choose.

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

Which transmission? The one on the right is the Type 1, and parts have not been available for some time now. On the left, looks like a Type 3, for which parts may or may not be had. Tamiya discontinued the overhaul kits for the transmissions a year or more ago, and more's the pity for that little move.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How may i ask are you bending these shafts? Dropping them in the floor? I run my tanks to a certain degree of realism which at this sclae can be hard on them but have never sustained any of that type of damage.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I see you are in Davis Ca? Do you go to any of the BAT club meetings? If you do and can bring the bent axle with you
I'll see if I'm able to straighten it for you. I t will save you the hassle of finding a new one. I can mail it back to you.

I'll echo the question: how did you bend it? It isn't a common failure.

Jerry
Old 10-09-2011, 11:32 AM
FreakyDude

you can special order this part from any tamiya retailer, just be a few weeks before you get it.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:48 PM
pangpang_man

I am in San Francisco now and I hope to join a meeting.
I noticed that the last meeting was on 25 September. So, can you still help me to fix it?
If you can, I can come and give it to you directly. thank you so much.

In fact, I don't really know how it bend. I did play it on some lumpy ground, where had some hard tree root above the ground a little bit.

ORIGINAL: Tanque

I see you are in Davis Ca? Do you go to any of the BAT club meetings? If you do and can bring the bent axle with you
I'll see if I'm able to straighten it for you. I t will save you the hassle of finding a new one. I can mail it back to you.

I'll echo the question: how did you bend it? It isn't a common failure.

Jerry
Old 10-09-2011, 01:05 PM
pangpang_man

Do you mean I need to send a email to "[email protected] " to request the part or bring the part to a local RC dealer?
or which webpage does show the specific part?

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude

you can special order this part from any tamiya retailer, just be a few weeks before you get it.