Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Stinson Tri-motor

Old 10-09-2011, 11:39 AM
GSAV8R
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinson Tri-motor

I have a 80" wingspan Stinson tri-motor I am converting to electric. I plan to use 3 .25 glow equivalent brushless electric motors, 3 50 amp speed controls and 1 6s LiPo battery pack.What is the best way to connect the 3 speed controls to the reciever? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:14 PM
ByLoudDesign

Default RE: Stinson Tri-motor

Smart Fly equalizer. You might think hard about have a battery pack for each motor, so if something happens it only effect one motor.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I would expect the .25 equivalent electric motors to run on 3S or 4S at most.

With 6S the motors will spin so fast, they'll practically open a rift in the space-time continuum, unless they're designed to run on 6S.

As far as connecting the receivers, a simply Y harness will do, be cheaper, and add less weight than a SmartFly board. You'll want to disable the BEC on all three ESCs and use a separate battery pack for the receiver, or use a separate UBEC.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 AM
flytreetimes

Mat is absolutely right, 25 size electric can handle 4S max. you need to reasses your cell count for those. A good 25 can make about 500 watts reliably, so 3 x that is 1500. That would fly a 15 lbs plane well. Flight time will be directly linked to battery capacity, I'd say 8000mah/25C to handle the max 32amp X3 = 96amp at max throttle. I'd be tempted to use 60 amp Esc's, way easier to keep cool, I use Turnigy Plush. The Plush 40 would likely be fine here, mine have been pushed to 55 amps without issue( briefly). FWIWflytreetimes