Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What the jet community is all about

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What the jet community is all about

Old 10-11-2011, 06:13 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the jet community is all about

In light of the "Not good for RC" thread and the bickering, bigotry, and disrespect of people in general I got to witness the real good side of our community this past weekend at Shreveport, Louisiana. Ron Shwartzcof, a long time modeler and all around good guy did one of the most selfless things I have seen in a long time. Ron bought raffle tickets, won the raffle and in turn gave the airplane he won to fellow modeler and I might add also a another good guy Greg Moore who had lost his new model at Waco. Kudos to Ron! That was the highlight of my flying season this year.

DR
Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What the jet community is all about

One big "ATTA boy" for Ron. Put another star in your crown.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice Ron. That is the real spirit of this hobby.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I have told my wife many times. It's not the airplanes....its the people who fly them that make this insane hobby fun!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Very true, I can have just as much fun sitting around hanging with gang and joking around. I have said that for years, the social part is the most fun, second is building and third is flying. Because of my job I have had the luxury of flying in clubs all over the world.
ORIGINAL: tp777fo

I have told my wife many times. It's not the airplanes....its the people who fly them that make this insane hobby fun!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

nice!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Oh NO!!!! Now Greg has another plane to terrorize us with! Good grief!

Nice going Ron, a very selfless thing to do. Happy for you Greg, heard you had a rough one at Waco! Time to get on that build buddy. What kind of plane is it? When is the maiden? Want me to fly her for you and trim her out!

Shaz
Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Shaz I think it was the same kind that he had in Waco
Old 10-12-2011, 03:24 AM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

ORIGINAL: DavidR

In light of the ''Not good for RC'' thread and the bickering, bigotry, and disrespect of people in general I got to witness the real good side of our community this past weekend at Shreveport, Louisiana. Ron Shwartzcof, a long time modeler and all around good guy did one of the most selfless things I have seen in a long time. Ron bought raffle tickets, won the raffle and in turn gave the airplane he won to fellow modeler and I might add also a another good guy Greg Moore who had lost his new model at Waco. Kudos to Ron! That was the highlight of my flying season this year.

DR
+++ for David
Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 AM
Kevin East

Fellowship,flying, and food. Seem to be the constant in the events I've attended, no matter what we're flying.
Enjoy the jet Greg!
Kevin
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

as I attend a few different events a year, not all of the Jet Rally's, I always look forward to the jet ones and the family of friends we spend the weekends with.

On average, most r/c events are 1-2 days long, but jet events on average are 4 days. At 99% of all jet events you can walk up and down the line and know just about everyone there, when the day is over, few leave the venuebut most pull out their chairs, lite up grills and just relax with the fellowship of the modelers.

Farview r/c flyers just had their jet rally last week, the pilots have become one big family.

long story short, the jet community is like none other.. it's a great place to be.......

Mark
Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Jetkopter

Mark, the grills aint the only thing that gets lite at Farview!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 PM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: jclittle

In light of the ''Not good for RC'' thread and the bickering, bigotry, and disrespect of people in general I got to witness the real good side of our community this past weekend at Shreveport, Louisiana. Ron Shwartzcof, a long time modeler and all around good guy did one of the most selfless things I have seen in a long time. Ron bought raffle tickets, won the raffle and in turn gave the airplane he won to fellow modeler and I might add also a another good guy Greg Moore who had lost his new model at Waco. Kudos to Ron! That was the highlight of my flying season this year.

DR
+++ for David

Ahhhhhhh...finally a good thread!

++++

Rex
Old 10-12-2011, 12:33 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don, even when it's dark we can still lite, i mean burn the kero......
Old 10-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

I have been flying jets for about 12 years now. I recently have put my jet wings to rest( for a while) to experiment with model turbine helis. I still get to grip the sticks once in a while to keep the "feel" fresh.

I recently went to my first Scale heli event. I can honestly say, that there was a different feel to the event than what you get at the jet rallys. First thing I noticed was the lack of night life at the event for those that camped at the field. It was like when the sun went down, everybody went to sleep.

The other thing I noticed was it seemed like people where just sooo serious about everything. I am all for competition but it was beyond that. More like, don't get to close to my bird, you might break it or see how I modified something cuz I don't want anyone else to have it like mine.

I guess i have just been spoiled with the jet guys and the friends I have made over the years. Even though I don't own any jets to my name currently, I am very inspired to get the "big" scale turbine heli that I am working on done, so that I can come hang out at some of the local jet events. Even if I only get to fly once or twice, that is fine buy me.

The camaraderie and brotherhood feeling with the jet community is second to none. I have been to scale events, heli events, electric only events and none, in my eyes, hold a torch to the experience you get at a jet rally. Most of the guys are willing to take the skirt off their back if it will help someone else. Just good times for sure.

Billy
Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 PM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me tell you about the jet community......

during my wife's illness and passing, my jet brothers and sisters throughout the US and Canada encouraged us, prayed for us, and stood with us in the darkest hours. When we cancelled our jet rally, my local club - THE FARVIEW FLYERS - created the Great American Jet Rally for the purpose of giving the Northeast jet flyers an event to attend during the period that our event would have occurred. No....that is not all. I was recently notified that a large amount of the event proceeds, $1000, was donated to the American Cancer Society in memory of my Cindy.

No sir, I do not belong to a jet community, I have a jet family.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:31 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome stuff! Truly what it is all about right here!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:25 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

ORIGINAL: f106jax

during my wife's illness and passing, my jet brothers and sisters throughout the US and Canada encouraged us, prayed for us, and stood with us in the darkest hours. When we cancelled our jet rally, my local club - THE FARVIEW FLYERS - created the Great American Jet Rally for the purpose of giving the Northeast jet flyers an event to attend during the period that our event would have occurred. No....that is not all. I was recently notified that a large amount of the event proceeds, $1000, was donated to the American Cancer Society in memory of my Cindy.

Well Said.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: f106jax

Very well said! Now if i could just attend more of these family reunions i'd be a happier man
Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Mike2735
My Feedback: (3)

I do not fly jets. (Pockets not deep enough!). I do however love my prop planes. I came across this thread and had to comment. I have been saying for years that it's the people that make this hobby great. I have been all over the world and attended events and always have had a wonderful experience.

F106jax. Sorry for you loss and glad the community showed the kind of people we are.

Everyone of us should be proud of who we are and how we do things for our family.

Thanks to all.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:26 PM
k12rc

finally a great thread where friends can talk to each other with with no arguing. Love to go to meets an meet and socialize with people
Old 10-12-2011, 08:47 PM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

ORIGINAL: Billy

I have been flying jets for about 12 years now. I recently have put my jet wings to rest( for a while) to experiment with model turbine helis. I still get to grip the sticks once in a while to keep the ''feel'' fresh.

I recently went to my first Scale heli event. I can honestly say, that there was a different feel to the event than what you get at the jet rallys. First thing I noticed was the lack of night life at the event for those that camped at the field. It was like when the sun went down, everybody went to sleep.

The other thing I noticed was it seemed like people where just sooo serious about everything. I am all for competition but it was beyond that. More like, don't get to close to my bird, you might break it or see how I modified something cuz I don't want anyone else to have it like mine.

I guess i have just been spoiled with the jet guys and the friends I have made over the years. Even though I don't own any jets to my name currently, I am very inspired to get the ''big'' scale turbine heli that I am working on done, so that I can come hang out at some of the local jet events. Even if I only get to fly once or twice, that is fine buy me.

The camaraderie and brotherhood feeling with the jet community is second to none. I have been to scale events, heli events, electric only events and none, in my eyes, hold a torch to the experience you get at a jet rally. Most of the guys are willing to take the skirt off their back if it will help someone else. Just good times for sure.

Billy
WE leave it up to you to get the Heli guys to act like us you have one year and i want to see results then maybe i will have Lowel hook me up on one
Old 10-12-2011, 10:53 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

OK boys, I'm going to have to chime in here. I fly those pesky turbine helis and I just bought two jets! I'm not a doucher at the field, just ask Shaz! Hell, I let him scare the crap out of me with my own jet!

I like the tone of this thread and will have a fun announcement that relates EXACTLY to what is being discussed here. Should be Friday.

STAY TUNED!!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:15 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The people i have met at the new england rallies are some of the nicest I have ever met. I had an issue with a tank at the Maine rally, and after the event he shipped me a kevlar tank he had lying around. Didnt even want shpping for it. Just shows how they will give you the shirt off their back, and I wouold do the same..Jimmy if youre reading this Thanks!!!!! your the man...
Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 AM
jetflyr

DR
Got to agree with David that we have a community/family/bunch of dis-functional relatives that at the end of the day, our still OURS.
Long ago , I was told "going to rallies is about the people ... if you just want to fly, stay home, it's cheaper". MAN is that so true!
Following the loss of my F-86D in Waco (talk about a LONG 835 mile drive home []) it was great having the e-mails and P.M.s.
Then finding out that Ron had bought boocoup (sp) raffle tickets ... and the big brown toy truck will be delivering it this afternoon.....WOW!
There is something special (maybe it's the fumes from the engines? ... I KNOW it's not David's cigars ) that makes us keep driving 800+ miles to hang with an eclectic and interesting group of folks who will rifle through their stuff to find bits and pieces, soldering irons and all sorts of other goodies to keep you flying.
Ron's selflessness is, fortunately, more common than not among our little group, and I'm incredibly glad that I belong, and through this forum "know" some fantastic people from all walks of life and all corners of the globe.

Thanks for starting this thread David!

Greg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.