Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

overheating brushless novak motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:14 AM
james_bl2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating brushless novak motor

I'm looking for ways to lower my motor temps on my emaxx. I'm running the novak hv setup with the novak hv esc and the novak 6.5 pro motor. I'm running a 68 spur gear and 20 something pinion. I know thats kinda high after just a few high speed passes. So I've order a 12t pinion gear and was thinking of ordering a heatsink I found for that motor. Should this be enough to get my temps down to a decent level or is there more I should do. Was thinking of cutting holes in my windsheild like I use to run my revo with. Whats your opions on this one guys.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:16 AM
james_bl2003

Default RE: overheating brushless novak motor

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13187025482001
Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 AM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: james_bl2003

I'm looking for ways to lower my motor temps on my emaxx. I'm running the novak hv setup with the novak hv esc and the novak 6.5 pro motor. I'm running a 68 spur gear and 20 something pinion. I know thats kinda high after just a few high speed passes. So I've order a 12t pinion gear and was thinking of ordering a heatsink I found for that motor. Should this be enough to get my temps down to a decent level or is there more I should do. Was thinking of cutting holes in my windsheild like I use to run my revo with. Whats your opions on this one guys.
Realistically, there's enough airflow under the body that it shouldn't make much if any difference if you cut holes in the windshield. A heatsink will work on sucking some of the heat out of the motor, but really is more of a bandaid as if it's getting that hot on the outside of the motor the inside/core has got to be all but melting.
Practically-speaking, that's a LOT of motor to be stuffing in that truck (probably more designed for a vehicle without the amount of drag created by huge MT tires), doing speed runs with a MT isn't the smartest thing to do (it's not designed for it) - but the any BL system the thing is you have to monitor your temps until you find a gear ratio it's happy with (and not just make wide random changes as you're doing). Good luck.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:48 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kaycerc

Realistically, there's enough airflow under the body that it shouldn't make much if any difference if you cut holes in the windshield. A heatsink will work on sucking some of the heat out of the motor, but really is more of a bandaid as if it's getting that hot on the outside of the motor the inside/core has got to be all but melting.
Practically-speaking, that's a LOT of motor to be stuffing in that truck (probably more designed for a vehicle without the amount of drag created by huge MT tires), doing speed runs with a MT isn't the smartest thing to do (it's not designed for it) - but the any BL system the thing is you have to monitor your temps until you find a gear ratio it's happy with (and not just make wide random changes as you're doing). Good luck.

The motor and ESC he is using is designed for the using with an E-Maxx. http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...axx/index.html

I would drop some teeth on the pinion and see it that will help with the heat issues. Also what are the temps on the esc and motor?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a picture of his E-Maxx..

Old 10-15-2011, 11:03 AM
james_bl2003

Thanks t9dragon and your right that combo is designed for the emaxx . Unfortunately I couldn't find my temp gun at the time but the system shutdown and you couldn't touch the motor way to hott. Also I'm not making random guesses for my pinion selection I put the 20t on it cause its what I had then after bashing for a few minutes which consisted of some hard runs and bashing it got hott. So I looked up novaks site and the recommend for what I have 12 or 13t pinions
Old 10-16-2011, 03:58 PM
oldbugs
My Feedback: (16)

I run this exact set-up on my 3908 ,only I have a fan on the motor also, with 2-2s lipo's and a solid 45-50minutes of run timewith no overheating issues. I'll have to check the spur and pinioncount for you.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:09 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

In case you've never seen this info, I have found it helpful making gearing decisions:  (Borrowed from the guys on the Traxxas forums)

Hot motor + cool esc = under geared.
Cool motor + hot esc = over geared.