Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Open Circuit error on Triton EQ charger

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Open Circuit error on Triton EQ charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM
TruBlu02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Circuit error on Triton EQ charger

Hey everyone I am having a problem with my Triton EQ charger. Wel to be honest I am not sure if it is the charger or the battery I recently purchased a hobbico LiFe Source RX pack from Tower and wehn I plugged it into my charger I keep getting an open circuit error when it's plugged into the balance port. I am pretty sure it is the battery as my charger has no problem charging any of my other Lipos. My question is how to trouble shoot the issue. When I load test the battery it works fine and if I leave the pack just plugged into the charger it will flash "slow balancing." When I start the charge it will check the battery and confirm that it is plugged into the balance port and begin to charge. After a few seconds it will kick off saying "open circuit error." If I leave it unplugged from the balance port and start the charge it works fine but is not being balanced.

I am pretty confused as this is the first issue I have had with this charger and it is the first time I have used it for charging a Life battery (yes I changed the charger settings). Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 05:46 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Open Circuit error on Triton EQ charger

Maybe you have the wrong balance adapter for the battery? Or else the balance plug is wired wrong.Could even have a broken connection in the balance port.It is for sure a problem with the balance circuit.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:08 AM
TruBlu02

I gree it is in the balance port somehwere but all of my other Lithium batteries charge just fine. It has the standard eletrifly balance plug on it as well. I have another 2s lipo pack that charges on the same port with no problems. I called Tower and talked to them abut it and they just decided to send me another battery so we will see what happens when it gets here.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:03 AM
bgosselin

Sounds like an issue where a connector is making intermittent contact (cold solder joint, loose connector, etc). Does the balance plug or main plug seem loose? If the balance plug was wired wrong, it shouldn't even pass the verification phase when you start the charge.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:50 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you plug the battery into the equinox do you get the correct number of lights flash on for the number of cells of the battery?
If so try pressing the button once and let it balance the battery then hook it up to the triton and try charging it.
I have a few lipos that will kick out the equinox and error the triton until I balance the lipo first.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:45 AM
TruBlu02

Well I got a new battery from Tower and I am still getting the same error. It is obviously something with the charger. This is really weird as I have no issues with any of my other lithium batteries including other 2S lipo packs that use the same balance port. I just emailed Electrifly tech support so we will see where this goes.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

I know you say the balance port is the same but i have seen adapters that physically will plug in but are wired different.My thought is still that you need a different adapter for the particular battery
Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: mighty9

I know you say the balance port is the same but i have seen adapters that physically will plug in but are wired different.My thought is still that you need a different adapter for the particular battery
I would agree with this.....
Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM
TruBlu02

Okay guys I did some digging and I checked the specs on the battery again and here is the Specs from Tower:

SPECS: Capacity: 1900mAh
Number of Cells in Series: 2
Rated Voltage: 6.6V
Continuous Discharge Rate: 3C (5.7A)
Maximum Recommended Charge Current: 1C (1.9A)
Charge Lead: 24 AWG, 1.2" (30mm) long wire w/ElectriFly Balance
Connector

Discharge Connector: 22AWG, 5.1" (130mm) long wire w/Universal
connector
Dimensions: 3.3 x 1.7 x 0.55" (83 x 44 x 14mm)
Weight: 3.7oz (106g) including wires

The battery uses the Electrifly balance port plug and I am using an electrifly charger. I cannot find any other adapters that I can use with my charger. I have both the Electrifly adapter board and the Thunder power plug board. Both of which ame with my charger. I also checked the balnce plug on my 2S lipo pack and compared how it is wired to my Life pack. Both the pos and neg wires are on the same side of the plug, with the third wire right in the middle.

Is there another type of balance board available?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There's a Hyperion balance board too, but it would be obvious if you had that because the plugs are shaped differently. I get that error sometimes, and a quick wiggle or unplugging and starting over gets things going.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:17 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of adapter jumpers for the equinox balancer and all of them had some cold solder joints. The shrink wrap was the only way they made connection.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:09 PM
TruBlu02

Well I finally got an email back from Hobbico tech support and they think it is athe Life circuit board inside the charger that is the problem. I honestly can't think of anything else it could be. My balance board work perfect on all my other batteries except the Life packs which are wired identical to my other lithium 2S packs and use the exact same plug. Sucky thing is that my charger is out of warranty so it would be cheaper to buy a Life specific charger than to get mine repaired. I think it may be time for an upgraded charger.