Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Fine Design charged my credit card $865.00 without my authorization on 10/13/11 True Story

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Fine Design charged my credit card $865.00 without my authorization on 10/13/11 True Story

Old 10-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Den
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fine Design charged my credit card $865.00 without my authorization on 10/13/11 True Story

On September 15 @ 1:58pm I ordered a large 4 pole brushless motor and prop from "Fine Design" and talked to Chris. I gave my credit card number and purchased motor and prop for $173.80. They are in New York and I in Chicago. So on 9/23/11 I still had not received my items so I call them up at 4:42pm. Chris tells me that "his shipper was sick and my items just went out". So my order sat for almost 7 days!! Now I wait and call back on 9/30/11 and Chris says "he will get me a tracking number and call me back." He does not call back! I call on 10/03/11 @ 1:34pm Chris says he is having lunch right now and also looking for the tracking information as we speak said he would call me back. He did not call me back again! So I call on 10/04/11 @ 10:24am Chris says that he can not find any information about my order and he will have to refund my money. I asked him today and he said "today". So I get home in the evening and at about 11pm I check my credit card status and there was no credit refund to my account. Once again Chris said he was going to do something and he did not. I don't know about everybody else t I am patient but I do not like to be peed on and told it's raining. I can watch the news for that. On 10/05/11 I call my credit card company and ask if there was a refund posted to my account and they said no. So what would anybody do? I filed a dispute with my credit card company against "Fine Design". On 10/13/11 @9:48am I get a call from Chris angry that I filed a dispute and he has a card corespondence from the credit card company. He said he refunded my money on Oct. 8. I told him that "I did nothing malicious I checked with the card company and just like everything else you said you were going to and didn't do, you had not refunded my money back so I filed A dispute". He started yelling at me. I'm 50 and no sap is going to yell at me without consequences lets just say that. So I hollared at him "what the is wrong with you this is your fault all you do is lie". He inserts that "they had a bad batch of motors". I told him "why didn't you say that before so another lie. All you do is lie." He yelled something at me again an hung up the phone. When I finished my business for the morning I go back to my office and called Visa. I told them I had a disturbing call this morning from"Fine Design" Yelling at me and I do not want any charges from this company ever again". Visa said that "Fine Design just charged your account $865.00 to my card at 11:00am today" I had to re ask several times that what I was hearing was clear. Not only that, they told me that the money "Fine Design" refunded was $173.00 instead of the correct amount of $173.80 The $865.00 had not yet posted to my card and the only way that I cauld stop them from stealing my money was to cancel the card. The result was I had to cancel my card and File a credit card fraud report under the urging of the credit card company's credit card fraud division representative. Now I am waiting for the paper work from the credit company and then I'm calling the states attorney to proceed legaly with this. I may have cause to call the FBI because it is interstate fraud if the law descides so. I AM NOT STATING THAT ANYONE OR COMPANY HAS DONE ANYTHING ILLEGAL BUT THIS STORY IS COMPLETELY TRUE!! I am now waiting see what the law says. This is a great hobby and we do not need the few to ruin our hobby for us. We do this hobby for relaxation not lies and aggrivation. When unfair practices are employed we should expose them... Has anyone else had a similar bad experience?

Best Regards to all that enjoy this hobby and play nice
Dennis K
Old 10-18-2011, 06:48 PM
BACKEMF

Default RE: Fine Design charged my credit card $865.00 without my authorization on 10/13/11 True Story

This is being said by others of FD. They charge more for those Gold Leopard motors than anyone else and they still can't ship out a basic order.

I hate to be rude or brutally hohest but, it's possible Chris or Dan Fines has their Intellectually disabled son/relative do shipping & packing.

This is mearly hearsay on my part but, it may explain why there seems to be so many cluster pluck stories about Fine Design.

I wish you well on recovering your funds.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Fine Design charged my credit card $865.00 without my authorization on 10/13/11 True Story

I think it was in 2006 I ordered from them. My story is in RCGroups as well as here probably a few times over. I ordered a Lehner motor from them and never received it after 2 months or so. I then cancelled the order and got my money back with no issue. Can't remember the exact figures as it has been a while.

Hope all goes well for you. Your story frustrates me. [:@]

And as I have been saying for 5 years now. I'd avoid them. They may be good guys but bad business men and it has not changed in the last 5 years.

Ryan
Old 10-20-2011, 02:55 PM
EXILE187

i was lucky to get back a refund from fd. for 499.00 after 2 months, for a venom king of shaves elec. because he said on the phone it was in stock, and ready to ship. and never did.

never again will i order anything, or refer anyone to them.

good luck.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Why is this guy still in business???
Old 10-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why is this guy still in business???
The answer is simple - Fine is still in business because plenty of folks continue to have had great retail experiences with him. There are always lots of posts defending his business practices and delivery on other forums (which have a lot more buyers than this one does). I have delt with Chris for over a decade and have never been ripped off. Most of the time my order came quickly, the times it did not Chris had warned me he was waiting on a shipment from Europe.

That said, there are too many negative posts about the business to ignore. While I am certain we are not quite getting the whole story from the OP in this thread (there are always two sides, and this one has way too much drama from the poster), it does give one pause......

Old 10-22-2011, 05:59 AM
srt10

I know a lot of people who have delt with him and everyone has a negative comment about this guy!
Anyone can post like he is a stand up guy, but way to many have the very opposite experience with guy...!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:18 AM
ryan_t888

If it has happened to me, it has probably happened to more than just me. I believe the major part of the story being money was payed and nothing was received. For me it went on for close to two months before I figured that was enough. I know people locally who have had the exact same trouble.

Companies can not afford to do this since people like me will be willing to let others know to save your hard earned cash for a more reputable place to purchase from.

You don't ever see posts like this about OSE. Theres reasons to this.

Ryan
Old 10-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Got RPM

I know a lot of people who have delt with him and everyone has a negative comment about this guy! Anyone can post like he is a stand up guy, but way to many have the very opposite experience with guy...
Geeze, more drama and hurt feelings. I know a lot of people who love doing business with hm - so there! The fact that he remains in business after so many years of treating everyone shabbily indicates either 1: that the actual problems are relatively rare, or 2: that most of his customers are idiots and enjoy being ripped off. As usual, the truth lies somewhere in between. I do 80% of my FE boating business with OSE and split the rest among a bunch of vendors - that indicates my preference.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:45 PM
doby
My Feedback: (1)

Very Mature Jay.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:02 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

If it has happened to me, it has probably happened to more than just me. I believe the major part of the story being money was payed and nothing was received. For me it went on for close to two months before I figured that was enough. I know people locally who have had the exact same trouble.

Companies can not afford to do this since people like me will be willing to let others know to save your hard earned cash for a more reputable place to purchase from.

You don't ever see posts like this about OSE. Theres reasons to this.

Ryan
Good pointe about OSE, in other words... a real company doing real business

I say Call the BBB on this cracker
Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Den

RPM - this is the whole true story with dates and events and because you claim your are giving us the true story I think not. I think your Chris's buddy and that is why you chimmed in. Sorry but this was not my first time around with FINE DESIGN but I thought I'd cut them some slack. I take quite an offence to you claiming I am not giving the whole story but you are totally WRONG and off base totally. The negatives out weigh the positives in over 18 posts on two forums. Your opinion is welcome but don't make unsubstanciated claims while I carry the PROOF and am in the process of filing charges!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:00 PM
doby

Careful, or you will end up on Jays (got rpm) "ignor list"...basically, its anyone who doesn't agree with him ends up on the list

I share your views on FD's.....better to shop elsewhere.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Got RPM

I think your Chris's buddy and that is why you chimmed in.......Your opinion is welcome but don't make unsubstanciated claims while I carry the PROOF and am in the process of filing charges!!!
You are making a very poor and emotionally-driven assumption - I am not Chris' buddy, far from it. You seem to take offense at almost everything. I 'claimed' nothing about your post, I just expressed my opinion about it - how could I do anything else? I did not mean to imply that you were not wronged or lying - just that something was left out. And in spite of your weak words to the contrary, my opinion is obviously NOT welcome here - clearly only those who agree with you are entitled to express their opinions in your thread. That's okay I guess, it is your thread....

FWIW, I have been on the 'net long enough to know that there are ALWAYS two sides to any dispute like this, I wasn't born yesterday. Anyone can claim anything in cyberspace, and the more drama in a post the higher the chance that the story is.....perhaps a little less than fully candid. You can whine all you want here, there are plenty who will listen. I am sorry you are so unhappy with Fine, plenty of others are as well. I do hope it all works out for you in the end.

Edited for typo
Old 10-23-2011, 07:38 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: Den

RPM - this is the whole true story with dates and events and because you claim your are giving us the true story I think not. I think your Chris's buddy and that is why you chimmed in. Sorry but this was not my first time around with FINE DESIGN but I thought I'd cut them some slack. I take quite an offence to you claiming I am not giving the whole story but you are totally WRONG and off base totally. The negatives out weigh the positives in over 18 posts on two forums. Your opinion is welcome but don't make unsubstanciated claims while I carry the PROOF and am in the process of filing charges!!!

I hope you the best with this bro..
I"ve heard just way to many negatives with this so called company that anyone who asks about them I steer them far away and direct them to OSE or even ebay [:-]

Good luck
Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Just be happy you paid with a credit card and can per sue the proper avenues.

I to have read way to many negative comments on that business, yet Ive still considered spending money there. Maybe Im a fool asking for it... Maybe they are the only place selling something I want... Either way- I might roll the dice and take a chance.

In the end, credit card company can always sort it out.

I have had to resort to filing back charges before and will not hesitate to do so if someone is trying to deceive me or take advantage of me.

To be honest it sounds to me like the guy talking to you just doesnt know what the hell is going on. So things are made up (lies) in hope of things working themselves out- which didnt. I dont see what the problem would be if your items werent shipped and you got a refund.

Now the real question is- what will you do if your items arrive? Maybe they got stuck up in the mail or misplaced? Ive had both happen...

Just asking, food for thought.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is got rpm, fluid over on ose? Or is there another Jay in TX?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Den

Basstronics thank you for contributing. I felt as you did and gave them a chance. I saw the negatives and positives in the forums. Chris talks a good game . I would never trust this company again ever. Plus some of their prices are high according to other posts. Maybe before you make a move take alook at the general boats discussion forum for more on this matter. Chris said he had a tracking number multiple times and never produced it. I think Chris is the owner so I strongly believe he was being deceptive. I suggest if you have a moment check out Fine Design out alittle more. What happened to me cauld of happened to anyone. One thing for sure is that the Chase Credit Card Fraud Division is investigating them as we speak and I have the first letter from that division stating that they have moved forward with their investigation received today October 24. I respect what you had to say and Good Luck. I just wanted to have some fast electric fun and Chris shafted me. I have had good luck with "Offshore Electrics" have you tried that site?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 AM
doby

ORIGINAL: asupervee72

is got rpm, fluid over on ose? Or is there another Jay in TX?

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck....then its a duck.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

I frequently buy products from OSE and its the main board I use also.

I also buy from Fightercat and Kintec.

Dont forget our Chinese friends, I spend a fare amount of cash with those guys too.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Den

Basstronics- I checked out the two sites you recommended Thank You. Good sites
Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 PM
bigwaveohs
My Feedback: (6)

I've been at this hobby for 40 years and I am amazed that given the exceptionally large number of complaints against Fine Design that he is still in business.
Two of the best are OSE and Kintec Racing. They have a better selection and if I order at the beginning of the week I have my stuff before the next weekend...you can't beat that for service...I'm 70 years old and wouldn't have time for FD and their garbage!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:37 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: bigwaveohs

I've been at this hobby for 40 years and I am amazed that given the exceptionally large number of complaints against Fine Design that he is still in business.
Two of the best are OSE and Kintec Racing. They have a better selection and if I order at the beginning of the week I have my stuff before the next weekend...you can't beat that for service...I'm 70 years old and wouldn't have time for FD and their garbage!

Agreed!!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:48 AM
Stinger9d9

When in doubt, check with the Better Business Bureau. An "F" rating for Fine Design:

[link]http://www.bbb.org/NYC/business-reviews/hobby-and-model-construction-supplies-retail/fine-design-rc-in-middletown-ny-90581/[/link]
Old 10-29-2011, 06:43 AM
ryan_t888

And there are still folks who defend that company.

Ryan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.