Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Buz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

ORIGINAL: rikybob

@ Phil - We have a large ''ditch'' here in the starts called the Grand Canyon. I have yet to see it but my attorney friend had this to say about it. ''We got to the North rim and stared at God's beauty and grandeur, then we kinda all looked at our watches after about 7 minutes and agreed we should get some lunch.''

b
Ok, this reply is a little late, but I had to get wifey's permission to post this pic...

The Grand Canyon... What that little thing... Pfft.. you should see the Superpit at Kalgoorlie...

Anyway, here is a pic of Heliwife and I when she was only a 3 day old wife... standing on the rim of some tiny dent in the ground somewhere in the good ole US of A...

(t was a 6 hour bus ride from Vegas, and 6 hours back... wifey wanted to do the Helicopter tour instead, but Geez, I have 3500 hours in real Police helicopters so I was MORE excited doing the Bus ride!. )

It was funny though.. for a 14 hour day of travel, we had 30 mins at the Grand Canyon..

LOL! I was reading about the Superpit.... Here's what it said " Staring into the eye of an eyesore: The Super Pit from above Hahaha....

Hello to Heliwife too!

Buzz
Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

Ok guys, took the GT outside this morning and I ran in to a bit of a problem. As it got to about centre stick the tail started going crazy and had to shut it down. Boy am I glad I took the advice of Brian and Buzz and put the training gear on otherwise I might be doing a rebuild. Not sure what the problem is as Im sure the tail and gyro are set up ok. Anyway heres a vid so take a look and give me your ideas.

Heya Ingleburn!

Lets start with the usual suspects

1) Belt tension (Just like in the manual, kinda loose but not too loose)

2) Make certain the blade grip assembly grub screw is not loose

3) Check, check and recheck Gyro direction, settings ect.

4) I set my bird up in H/H and do not use rate. For a beginner I recommend H/H and you should start at 51% gain and go up from there!

I have not experienced what happened in your viddy before.....anyone??

b
Thanks Brian, you are spot on the money.
(1) Belt tension was ok I think.
(2) Blade grips were tight.
(3) While I was waiting for a reply I checked Robs gyro vid and found that it was indeed set in reverse.
(4) Robs video had his set at 60 so I went with that.
Second try was much better but tail was still wagging so I dropped it to 55 and that was great.Didnt have the cam on for the 3rd go but wow, felt so smooth I gave it a bit more and hovered! It is so much easier than my little ones and I wanted to go higher but not much room in the front yard so put her down, smiled to myself and cant wait to get over to the park and have a go

Glad you got it sorted mate!

After about an hour of hovering/flying you will find that the training gear are more a detriment than an attribute and will need to remove them as the vibration becomes obnoxious!

Best to ya!

b
Old 10-18-2011, 11:37 AM
ingleburn

(3) While I was waiting for a reply I checked Robs gyro vid and found that it was indeed set in reverse.
Second try was much better but tail was still wagging so I dropped it to 55 and that was great.Didnt have the cam on for the 3rd go but wow, felt so smooth I gave it a bit more and hovered! It is so much easier than my little ones and I wanted to go higher but not much room in the front yard so put her down, smiled to myself and cant wait to get over to the park and have a go

What gyro are you using..

Here are some of my settings...

450 Pro - Gy520 Gyro 66% for HH mode, 29% for Rate
450 GT - Spartan Quark Gyro 69% HH / 29% Rate
Gaui 550 - HK401B gyro 58% HH / 35% Rate
Gaui X5 - Futaba 520 Gyro 70% AVCS / 70% Normal (Futaba radios have specific settings for their own gyros) b
450 MT Night flier - HK401B 78.5% HH / 29% rate (this heli has 5mm spacing on the tail servo ball link..

Hope that helps, changing the ball link position makes a huge difference.. my Gaui 550 had a wag I could not remove no matter what gain setting I used, the only thing that fixed it was moving the tail servo ball link to the most inner hole..
Hi Rob, I am using the 401 gyro and I watched your exi vid and set it at 60%. Dont know how I got the direction wrong but after reversing it all was good exept the gain was to high. The ball link is at 10mm but with the gain set to 55% its good but when I take it out today if I find the wag is still there Ill move it in to 7mm. I might do it anyway as Im getting to much travel anyway and the limit pot is only just stopping it from binding.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:39 AM
ingleburn

Ok guys, took the GT outside this morning and I ran in to a bit of a problem. As it got to about centre stick the tail started going crazy and had to shut it down. Boy am I glad I took the advice of Brian and Buzz and put the training gear on otherwise I might be doing a rebuild. Not sure what the problem is as Im sure the tail and gyro are set up ok. Anyway heres a vid so take a look and give me your ideas.

Heya Ingleburn!

Lets start with the usual suspects

1) Belt tension (Just like in the manual, kinda loose but not too loose)

2) Make certain the blade grip assembly grub screw is not loose

3) Check, check and recheck Gyro direction, settings ect.

4) I set my bird up in H/H and do not use rate. For a beginner I recommend H/H and you should start at 51% gain and go up from there!

I have not experienced what happened in your viddy before.....anyone??

b

Glad you got it sorted mate!

After about an hour of hovering/flying you will find that the training gear are more a detriment than an attribute and will need to remove them as the vibration becomes obnoxious!

Best to ya!

b
Ive only put 2 batteries through it and Im sick of the vibration already.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:23 PM
rikybob

Hi Rob, I am using the 401 gyro and I watched your exi vid and set it at 60%. Dont know how I got the direction wrong but after reversing it all was good exept the gain was to high. The ball link is at 10mm but with the gain set to 55% its good but when I take it out today if I find the wag is still there Ill move it in to 7mm. I might do it anyway as Im getting to much travel anyway and the limit pot is only just stopping it from binding.

I can't explain why a normally sane man makes these kinds of errors but it happens to me with great, monotonous, consistancy!

Even just yesterday I made a fundamental error on a flight surface that astounded me.[:@]

Check, check, recheck as I might I slip up and it just reminds me that unlike brother Rob, I will see fit to never find myself to fly an actual "real" aircraft!

b
Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 PM
ingleburn

LOL, yes, it can be so addictive...

Now I can recall PC Gaming (mainly flight sims) was my addiction before model trains...

Resulting in this website www.pctestpilot.com(all the reviews on this site are my own work... I had asked a number of others to assist but they never had time to produce anything)

and I was on the design team for this . http://www.thrustmaster.com/product....1&PlatformID=5(see page 4 of the manual below..)

Maybe a "tad" addicted.. LOL.

WCProphecy was great also, but 3 was the most immersive, some of the mission actually gave you anadrenaline rush. Very cool.

Did youtry Privateer? another super immersive game. (you can get it free now here. )

Wow I just clicked on the privateer link and the memories came flooding back. I think I still have the original disks lying around the house somewhere. Downloaded the new version and might go look for my old joystick. Rob, what have you done to me. I have a heli to learn to fly, I havent got time for this.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Buz

LOL, yes, it can be so addictive...

Now I can recall PC Gaming (mainly flight sims) was my addiction before model trains...

Resulting in this website www.pctestpilot.com (all the reviews on this site are my own work... I had asked a number of others to assist but they never had time to produce anything)

and I was on the design team for this . http://www.thrustmaster.com/product....1&PlatformID=5 (see page 4 of the manual below..)

Maybe a ''tad'' addicted.. LOL.

WC Prophecy was great also, but 3 was the most immersive, some of the mission actually gave you an adrenaline rush. Very cool.

Did you try Privateer? another super immersive game. (you can get it free now here. )

Wow I just clicked on the privateer link and the memories came flooding back. I think I still have the original disks lying around the house somewhere. Downloaded the new version and might go look for my old joystick. Rob, what have you done to me. I have a heli to learn to fly, I havent got time for this.

I got into a game that wasn't animated.. ie; the characters and video was to show you where you were. It was called "Myst", and it took me forever to solve it. Other than that one... I didn't play many video games. Now, I delve into simulators. I have Phoenix which I find to be excellent... and a pure flat out F1 simulator that I try to keep my racing skills sharp on.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:36 PM
joizeex

Ok, this reply is a little late, but I had to get wifey's permission to post this pic...

The Grand Canyon... What that little thing... Pfft.. you should see the Superpit at Kalgoorlie...

Anyway, here is a pic of Heliwife and I when she was only a 3 day old wife... standing on the rim of some tiny dent in the ground somewhere in the good ole US of A...

(t was a6 hour bus ride from Vegas,and 6 hours back... wifey wanted to do the Helicopter tour instead, but Geez, I have 3500 hours in real Police helicopters so I was MORE excited doing the Bus ride!. )

It was funny though.. fora 14 hour day of travel, we had 30 mins at the Grand Canyon..
Aaah, tourists. The only thing our country still sells to the world are the local attractions.

btw Rob, I take it that Australia isn't too keen on filling in potholes? Just look what happens after a few years! Gold mine my arse

Old 10-18-2011, 02:41 PM
joizeex

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

Lol, not only that but I was disappointed by the lack of EBO and Aussie stereotypes in the viddy....

btw, that's looks like one huge open cast mine in your pic!

Simon
I know right? That's why i'm dying to know what those stereotypes are. Anyone? I think i know a few British ones, but those strange people from down under... no idea!

Old 10-18-2011, 03:14 PM
rikybob

Hiya Kidz!

Had the day off (read: worked extra duty) so when I got home the Wx had not degraded like the weatherman said it would (needs me a job where I can lie for a living) so's I pulled my "tube" skids off and replaced with [link=http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001210024]Leaders Hobby one piece skids for my 500! [/link]

It's the only source I have found for that type of skids for the 500 class!

I had to conduct some "Dremel surgery" to the antenna holder to get my [link=http://www.tinkmanengineering.com/camera_mounts.htm]Tinkman key fob [/link] cam mount to flush up!

Additionally I pulled my ball link on my tail servo in from 11mm to 9mm toward the hub as a measure to reduce tail bounce associated with the Assan GA-250 mems gyro!

Fun stuff adding goodies to the "Sonic Turkey"!

Best to all!

b

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bshFlZcyF-M[/youtube]
Old 10-18-2011, 04:03 PM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: joizeex

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

Lol, not only that but I was disappointed by the lack of EBO and Aussie stereotypes in the viddy.... [img][/img]

btw, that's looks like one huge open cast mine in your pic! [img][/img]

Simon [img][/img]
I know right? That's why i'm dying to know what those stereotypes are. Anyone? I think i know a few British ones, but those strange people from down under... no idea!

Well, I had some in my head re: Australians but alas I was [link=http://asiancorrespondent.com/61694/top-10-incorrect-australian-stereotypes/]wrong[/link] (I swore they all rode around on "roos) and as for Brits, I prefer to think that they are all like [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE]this (Perhaps one of my top 100 of all time)!![/link]

b
Old 10-18-2011, 07:15 PM
ingleburn

Hi all, I have a similar story to that of Jonesy in that I have good news and not so good news. The good news is that I took the GT over to the park this morning and hovered it. Cant believe how well it hovered and didnt touch any sub trim. Wish it wasnt so good because that brings me to the not so good news. On the 3rd battery about 3 mins in I let it get a bit far away and pannicked a bit. Result was me doing what I do with my FP helis and pulling the stick straight down to get it back down. Was only about 6 feet up so would have been ok apart from the -3% I have set for zero stick. I was going to set it to 0 pitch for a while but thought I better get used to some neg pitch from the start. Result was that it slammed into the ground before I had a chance to react. After the rebuild think it will be baby steps for a while, and some more sim time. Anyway heres the vids, wasnt wearing the glasses for the crash. Im off to order some parts that I didnt think I could break.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMpUVs4mKYo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJPvrWSpntM[/youtube]
Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
joizeex

aaaw man, i was so hoping that Aussies rode kangaroos! Though i'm most saddened by the lack of crocodile wrestling training for young children. You see, in mother Russia, we are taught how to wrestle bears from the tender age of 4.

LOL the never-dying Dead Parrot sketch, can't beat a classic! I'll just have to assume that Simon and other EBOs are not big fans of taxidermy   My other favorite is Knights of Ni.

Now, i like eating at the Outback steakhouse, but i doubt anything on the menu is authentic Aussie preparation.

Brian, looks like you have her dialed in, good job! It's funny how much adjustment, both mechanical and electronic it takes to get a heli flying properly vs an airplane. Well, the reason why you'd be ok flying something full scale, as opposed to backing up your truck is because there are no trees up high! Thanks for the shout-out, i actually pronounce my screen name as joizee-x (i just put an X there because joizee was taken, guess i should've added a "-"). My real name is Renat, though good luck remembering that lol.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Tinkman

ORIGINAL: Tinkman

Hey Guys,
Finally got around to posting last Thursday's vid. Nothing too exciting, but a good flight non-the-less.
My batt did die earlier than expected. I thought maybe the heat had something to do with it, but after the charge realized that it was probably just not completely charged when I started using it.

Hasta,
Joaquin

http://youtu.be/t1mPztejfQM
Nice flying Joaquin, hope it doesnt take forever for me to be able to do that.

Hey Ingleburn,
I say the same thing every time I see Rob, Simon or a hundred other heli pilots fly. I just keep chugging along at a comfortable pace. Once you get hovering down, and get to where you can do it side in without completely freaking out, try small, slow figure 8s (10 ft. or so) till you get used to seeing the heli in different orientations. Then give FFF a try. The wait will be totally worth it! At first it's really freaky to see your heli so far away, but you'll get used to it. When you do it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!
Stick with it, you'll be glad you did. Only a small percentage of RC pilots can fly helis. You'll be one of them!

Joaquin
Old 10-18-2011, 07:32 PM
joizeex

ingleburn - sorry about the bad news. You don't sound discouraged though, which is a good sign! Get used to hitting Throttle Hold switch, it saved me parts more than once, even on my big nitro bird.

Joaquin - you're spot on, brother!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Tinkman

ingleburn - sorry about the bad news. You don't sound discouraged though, which is a good sign! Get used to hitting Throttle Hold switch, it saved me parts more than once, even on my big nitro bird.

Thanks Joizeex,
I didn't have a mentor or even someone to learn from so I was totally winging (or rotary winging) it for a long time. I started with a fixed pitch Honey Bee, all indoors. When I bought the Belt CP I completely wigged out the first time I spooled it up. I thought it was going to kill me! It's been the source of extreme frustration and joy at the same time. What a Hobby!

Joaquin
Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 PM
ahamay

Hi all, I have a similar story to that of Jonesy in that I have good news and not so good news. The good news is that I took the GT over to the park this morning and hovered it. Cant believe how well it hovered and didnt touch any sub trim. Wish it wasnt so good because that brings me to the not so good news. On the 3rd battery about 3 mins in I let it get a bit far away and pannicked a bit. Result was me doing what I do with my FP helis and pulling the stick straight down to get it back down. Was only about 6 feet up so would have been ok apart from the -3% I have set for zero stick. I was going to set it to 0 pitch for a while but thought I better get used to some neg pitch from the start. Result was that it slammed into the ground before I had a chance to react. After the rebuild think it will be baby steps for a while, and some more sim time. Anyway heres the vids, wasnt wearing the glasses for the crash. Im off to order some parts that I didnt think I could break.
Just watched your vid ingleburn, what a bummer. You looked like you really had the hang of it onthe first flight though, well done. I enjoy building/repairing these things just as much as flying them so I don't mind doing a bit of garage time.

With regards to the negative pitch at low throttle I agree 3 degrees is way to much. If you look at the finless vids and a lot of other people as well will say to run 2 degress of pitch but personally I think it's not required. A bit of negative might be fine if your flying in 40 knot winds and your having trouble bringing it down from a great height, but for a learner (myself included) i went for 0 to 1 degrees pitch at low stick in normal mode. If you do panic and smash the throttle down your not going to be biffed into the ground at a rate of knots.

I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time. You'll be surprised at how little time it takes to fix the broken bits after a crash. Good luck with it.

Jonesy

Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Tinkman

Hi all, I have a similar story to that of Jonesy in that I have good news and not so good news. The good news is that I took the GT over to the park this morning and hovered it. Cant believe how well it hovered and didnt touch any sub trim. Wish it wasnt so good because that brings me to the not so good news. On the 3rd battery about 3 mins in I let it get a bit far away and pannicked a bit. Result was me doing what I do with my FP helis and pulling the stick straight down to get it back down. Was only about 6 feet up so would have been ok apart from the -3% I have set for zero stick. I was going to set it to 0 pitch for a while but thought I better get used to some neg pitch from the start. Result was that it slammed into the ground before I had a chance to react. After the rebuild think it will be baby steps for a while, and some more sim time. Anyway heres the vids, wasnt wearing the glasses for the crash. Im off to order some parts that I didnt think I could break.[img][/img]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMpUVs4mKYo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJPvrWSpntM[/youtube]
Just saw your videos.
I have to say, your first hover was fairly impressive. You will find when you take the training gear off that the heli will MUCH more responsive. Much more than your FP ever was. At first it will seem totally insane, but eventually you'll get used to it. I found that actually removing the flybar weights (assuming you're using them) helped. Although it was a bit more twichy, there was absolutly no delay between input and reaction, which for me helped allot. You may find that going back to the FP will seem more difficult because of the delay.
Also, the learned reaction to kill the throttle in the event of an emergency is a real killer. In time you will learn to fly through those panic manouvers and just accept what happens. It's the equivelant of staying calm and in control during a car crash, as opposed to screaming like a schoolgirl and letting go of the wheel. You'll be surprised how many crashes are survivable if you stay in control instead of killing the throttle right off the bat.
You're making great progress!
Joaquin
Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 PM
ingleburn

Thanks Joizeex,
I didn't have a mentor or even someone to learn from so I was totally winging (or rotary winging) it for a long time. I started with a fixed pitch Honey Bee, all indoors. When I bought the Belt CP I completely wigged out the first time I spooled it up. I thought it was going to kill me! It's been the source of extreme frustration and joy at the same time. What a Hobby!

Joaquin
Thanks guys, it was a bit of a bummer since I took so long to make sure it was all perfect but thems the breaks and Ill learn from it. Yes I must learn to use the throttle hold because im sure it would have settled a lot more gently. Old habbits are hard to break. Funny thing I was so amazed how easy it was to hover that I wasnt scared at all

Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 PM
ingleburn

Just saw your videos.
I have to say, your first hover was fairly impressive. You will find when you take the training gear off that the heli will MUCH more responsive. Much more than your FP ever was. At first it will seem totally insane, but eventually you'll get used to it. I found that actually removing the flybar weights (assuming you're using them) helped. Although it was a bit more twichy, there was absolutly no delay between input and reaction, which for me helped allot. You may find that going back to the FP will seem more difficult because of the delay.
Also, the learned reaction to kill the throttle in the event of an emergency is a real killer. In time you will learn to fly through those panic manouvers and just accept what happens. It's the equivelant of staying calm and in control during a car crash, as opposed to screaming like a schoolgirl and letting go of the wheel. You'll be surprised how many crashes are survivable if you stay in control instead of killing the throttle right off the bat.
You're making great progress!
Joaquin
Yeah I was pretty impressed as well.To bad I tried to run before I could walk. Maybe the flybar weights did cause a delay because when I tried to bring it back and it didnt respond straight away thats when I panicked.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:15 PM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: ahamay

Just watched your vid ingleburn, what a bummer. You looked like you really had the hang of it onthe first flight though, well done. I enjoy building/repairing these things just as much as flying them so I don't mind doing a bit of garage time.

With regards to the negative pitch at low throttle I agree 3 degrees is way to much. If you look at the finless vids and a lot of other people as well will say to run 2 degress of pitch but personally I think it's not required. A bit of negative might be fine if your flying in 40 knot winds and your having trouble bringing it down from a great height, but for a learner (myself included) i went for 0 to 1 degrees pitch at low stick in normal mode. If you do panic and smash the throttle down your not going to be biffed into the ground at a rate of knots.

I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time. You'll be surprised at how little time it takes to fix the broken bits after a crash. Good luck with it.

Jonesy

Thanks mate, everything seemed like it was going so easily until I panicked. Its already pulled apart and order placed for the spares I dont already have. I will go for less pitch when I get it back together.Actually had a laugh when I surveyed the damage as its a bit more than yours suffered and mine was hardly moving and 6 feet in the air. Should have sped up and headed for a tree.
Damage list is: Blades, 1 servo, landing skids, main shaft, flybar, tail servo rod and 1 guide, tail boom, tail support rod and will do the feathering shaft as well. Bout $20 so all good. Heres a pic of it stripped down and another of the damaged parts ready for the bin

Old 10-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Rob2160

LOL.. yes, Privateer was awesome..It took me weeks but I finished the entire game.

It always made me laugh.. the Kilrathi in WC 1, 2 and especially 3 were portrayed as Powerful Proud Feline beasts..

By WC4 (which was pretty good too..) they looked like drowned domestic cats... heh heh..(Cause the humans kicked their BUTT in WC3...)

Oh wait.. sorry, this is a heli forum.. I flew my 450 Pro today, it was good.. sorry, no vid.. Bloggie Cam battery was flat..

Old 10-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Rob2160

Yeah, 10mm is at the outer limit.. that would be your main problem.. 7mm is going to work much better..
Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Buz

I got into a game that wasn't animated.. ie; the characters and video was to show you where you were. It was called "Myst", and it took me forever to solve it. Other than that one... I didn't play many video games. Now, I delve into simulators. I have Phoenix which I find to be excellent... and a pure flat out F1 simulator that I try to keep my racing skills sharp on.
Ah, yes, I had Myst and it successors.. intriguing games.

years later I disovered an even better game.. its called Pyst...
Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 PM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: ahamay
Jonesy
Thanks mate, everything seemed like it was going so easily until I panicked. Its already pulled apart and order placed for the spares I dont already have. I will go for less pitch when I get it back together.Actually had a laugh when I surveyed the damage as its a bit more than yours suffered and mine was hardly moving and 6 feet in the air. Should have sped up and headed for a tree.
Damage list is: Blades, 1 servo, landing skids, main shaft, flybar, tail servo rod and 1 guide, tail boom, tail support rod and will do the feathering shaft as well. Bout $20 so all good. Heres a pic of it stripped down and another of the damaged parts ready for the bin

Yeah, crashing into long grass does help but that was just a fluke really. If you've busted your blades and the main shaft is bent I would almost guarantee that your feathering shaft is bent as well. Would pay to have a few of those spare. I've got a box full of stuff that looks like pic above lol. Most hobby shops have that 3mm carbon fibre rod to fix your training gear for like $1.50 per meter.

My HXT900's have survived two crashes now no problems. I think it's just luck with these wheather they survive or not.

Jonesy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.