Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

85" Beech Baron 58

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

85" Beech Baron 58

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Skypoint
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85" Beech Baron 58

Hi Guys,

I'm about to start an 85" Baron from Bud Caddell's plans and wanted to ask a question about foam before I do. The fuse is a crutch type, and the canopy as well as the nose is foam between formers that's shaped and checked with a template. The foam is then waxed and covered with fiberglass, and the foam is then removed from under it. The same goes for the nacelles. I've built from plans before (Ziroli, Hostetler) and understand the wood construction, but have never used foam and fiberglass this way. This may be the best way to go at it, however Bud designed the plane over 30 years ago in 1979 and there may be a new way I don't know about to do this. I would appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89582.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1637034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh64419.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1637035  
Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 85

Incase you dont already have it, here is the original magazine article:

Name:	Us55171.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	1637164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82898.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	1637165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45081.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	1637166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55795.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	1637167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx22328.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	1637168  
Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's an ARF Baron available now. Looks like a winner, not your normal ARF. Do you know of it?

Charles,

CORSAIR Brotherhood, #72
Old 07-19-2011, 04:56 AM
Skypoint

Terry,

Thanks, I downloaded this from a thread you had posted it on some time ago. It was what inspired me to build Caddell's Baron. I think his B58 was really a beautiful effort, and from his notes it flies extremely well. I've never worked with foam before (at least in this manner) but then I don't think Caddell did either so I don't think it will be all that difficult. I've looked at a lot of threads here, including the one on kit bashing the TF Bonanza to a Baron, and haven't seen a method that would be substantially better. Btw, did you ever build Bud's Baron?

Thanks again for posting the article.

Jim
Old 07-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Skypoint

Charles,

Thx, if you're speaking of the RC Aero Baron, yes I've seen it and it looks great. However being a builder I like the challenge of building from plans. If fact, I am finishing a Hostetler GB Zee... Great project, but tedious. I had to stop and remind myself several times how much I like building from plans!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Avaiojet

Thx, if you're speaking of the RC Aero Baron, yes I've seen it and it looks great. However being a builder I like the challenge of building from plans. If fact, I am finishing a Hostetler GB Zee... Great project, but tedious. I had to stop and remind myself several times how much I like building from plans!
Sky,

You couldn't ask for a better reply than that.

I have Hostetler's 25% Gee Bee Z partically framed.

I'm a builder also. Here's my 33% Gee Bee Z and my 1/5 scale Gee Bee Z.

Here's a photo of a friend's 25% Gee Bee Z. It's incredable! Sports CFC Graphics' GBZ package. Gee.

Post some photos of your model.

Charles

CORSAIR Brotherhood, #72

Name:	Hf99030.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1637451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82380.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1637452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95041.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1637453  
Old 07-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Avaiojet

OK, About that fiberglass cloth thing over foam?

It's done all the time.

When only one cowling is needed, or two, this would be a good way to do it.

Certainly you could keep the cowlings simple, do your glass thing, THEN, add the extras, using balsa or light ply, afterwards.

I made the cowling to this 1/5 scale Gee Bee Z exactly that way, but didn't use wax. Melt the foam away with a chemical.

There's glass cloth over the firewall area of my 33% Gee Bee Z. In this case, the foam is meant to stay.

You could use wood! We did that back then, remember?

Charles,

CORSAIR brotherhood, #72

Old 07-19-2011, 12:33 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have done the fuselage of a HS-129 and a Mew Gull with the glass over foam method. Pretty quick because you eliminate some finishing steps. Some guys recommend dissolving the foam with a solvent. I found that makes a mess and I usually just bust it out.
Chuck
Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Skypoint

Charles,

Great looking work! Your pal's 25% is a beaut, which is an understatement. Mine framed up really nice, but I'm stuck on the large fillets. Wendell has... you guessed it... foam, which I didn't want to mess with because of all the compound curves everywhere. How did you set yours up? As soon as I've tackled the fillets, I'll be ready to cover. I already have the glass parts from Stan's and the gear & wheels from Sierra fitted up. I ordered Stits for covering, though I've never used it before. Looks pretty straight forward. I'll plug in the wings and take some photos in the next couple of days. So far, I'm really happy with the way it's turning out. I've really tried to build it light as I'm sure the Z has a glide ratio about like a manhole cover.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Avaiojet

Great looking work! Your pal's 25% is a beaut, which is an understatement. Mine framed up really nice, but I'm stuck on the large fillets. Wendell has... you guessed it... foam, which I didn't want to mess with because of all the compound curves everywhere. How did you set yours up?
I haven't done my fillets yet on the 25%. The 1/5 scale model is of wood, a hollowed block in the front than curved pieces with the grain going from LE to TE.

The 25% fillets. I would adhere, temporarily, 60 grit sandpaper at the fillet with the sand/grit facing up. About 3" to 4" wide. it has to be up against the fuselage. I would cut a suitable piece of pink construction foam the length of the cord at the root. I would also carve into it half the related airfoil.

Lay the thing on the sandpaper and slide it continuously towards the fuse side, continue this until you have the exact airfoil shape carved. Yea, you may have to move it a bit forward and backwards, to get it tight against the fuse also, but it will take shape.

Once this is accomplished, just roll up a piece of sandpaper on a toilet paper roll and go at it.

You must have the idea by now.

Photos if you do it this way.

Charles
Old 07-29-2011, 06:16 AM
airwalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skypoint,I think your idea of building this baron from scratch is a great idea.I also have the same plans,and they really look like nice plans. I do make models also,and have found out that the blue foam,or yellow foam work the best.It sands easy,and is very easy to cut and work with.After I read your post I dug out my plans also.I was thinging about building the same plane last spring,but did not start it as I have a small custom model shop with to many projects going on back then.I also have built a small baron,it is under 1/2a &1/8 a airplanes last year.There are progress reports thru out the build.There might be some ideas you could use? Antway I will follow your post on this caddell baron,as I find this a exciting project. if there is anything I can help you out with just let me know. Dennis
Old 10-20-2011, 06:34 PM
WRAM
My Feedback: (8)

Looking for a set of plans for the Caddell-Hollack Baron 58 for many years, Can somone help me here?
Regards,
Danny
[email protected]