Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Topflite Gold kit P-47

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Topflite Gold kit P-47

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Scott McCrory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Topflite Gold kit P-47

Looking good! Ready to join the wing halves on mine. I've gotta say this has been one of the best kits I've built! Everything has fit great and the die cutting excellent. Where do you fly near Gypsum? I live in Keystone and we fly at one of our members house north of Silverthorne, however he has his house for sale and we won't be able to fly there after Oct. 31. Looks like we'll have to fly at Lake Dillon at Farmers Corner or drive to Fairplay and fly at our club field. Keep up the good work.

Scott
Old 09-18-2011, 06:48 AM
brockettman

Hey Scott,

Thanks! This P-47 is a definitely a sweet kit, and SOLID!

Eagle RC Flyers has a nice airfield near Wolcott (Wolcott International Airport) . The county is letting us use some property near the landfill. We have a 500 x 50 ft. dirt runway that is nicely maintained by some of the guys, and some benches to work off of.

I-70 west to Hwy 131, head north toward Steamboat Springs 2 miles and turn right to the landfill. The road winds up the hill, when you get to the top you'll see the wind socks and the rest of the field off to the right. It's a bit of a drive from Silverthorn, maybe an hour or a bit more, but we'd love to see you up here. There are usually guys flying on Saturday and Sunday mornings... How far to Fairplay?

Build well!

Ben
Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Scott McCrory

Ben, if I drive my old Bronco II to Fairply it's about an hour and 15 mins, if I drive the Mustang it's 45mins or less[8D] I'll try and get a couple of our club members and come over your way some Sunday.
Got the wing halves joined and the bottom sheeted. Need to get the mounts for the aileron servos done next. I've never liked belcranks in the wing just from the maintenance side of things. Still trying to decide on a color scheme for it. I do plan on trying the WBP method of fiberglassing on this one for the first time. I've used finishing resin before but didn't like the way it sanded.

Happy building

Scott
Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Goran619
My Feedback: (2)

Well I have an update on the Jug and it finally some good news. I finally got my maiden flight in last night and beside the elevator being way off it was an awesome plane to fly. we started doing preflight and dialing expo over by the trucks. decided to pull it away before we started it since there was a few people there talking. brought it out onto our field a little bit and went over and finished anything we found to be wrong or misadjusted. set the choke the DLE 20 popped on about the 4th or 5th start with the electric starter. Then turned off the choke and she came alive.

I decided not even to taxi it around figured that would get my nerves going even more with anticipation so I just went for it. I throttle up and it tracked beautifly down the runway didn't have to give it much rudder. As soon a she got enough speed she lifted off the ground and climb almost inverted though that was the scary thing and the only thing that went wrong in flight so I had to trottle up more and give it alot of down elevator. Once it got leveled out another guy at the field trimmed the elevator down for me all the way the radio would go and I still had to give it down elevator to keep it level it just wanted to keep climbing. Looking back now it is possible I made an adjustment before that I forgot about and never rechecked the elevator to see if it was level.

I then proceded to fly it for about 3 min or so was kind of hard to keep it level it started to look like a whale with wings in the air since I had to fight the elevator the whole time but it flew amazingly well with about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. The DLE 20 is a great amount of power and probablyis to much engine for her but it just pulls it beautifly.
After about 3 min I decided to try coming in for a landing to check her out so I came around and set up my approach but I was coming in to fast and a little to far out, so I decided to take another shot at it. Came around the 2nd time and hit the runway a little better but I got 2 far down the runway before she got close to landing so throttle back up once again for another go. Came around for the 3rd time after backing ourselves up to get a little more room to land and came down nice and smooth kept the nose down slightly like I was told and she flared down and landing just perfectly. I don't think anyone could have landed it any better.

After I landed I looked it over real quick and I had lost 2 cowl srews and the holes on 2 of the others got a little damage from the vibration of the engine. Tonight I will be disassembling her and doing a good inspection to see how everythin else held up.I don't think I'm going to find to much that came loose but never hurts to look her over.
I did not get any video of it last night on its maiden flight, was worried that would bring bad luck as I have heard from many people thatrecording your maiden flight can bring bad luck, so with that being said I will look her over tonight, fix what needs to be fixed and the bring it back out on sunday and get a few videos as well.
Jordan
Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 AM
brockettman

Way To Go Jordan! Congrats on a successful maiden flight! Would love to see some video... Sounds like that DLE 20 is awesome!

I finished hinging my flaps and am working on ailerons now. I painted the canopy this morning at work, and am getting excited about mounting the wing and getting some covering on this bird. Haven't had a lot of time over the past few weeks, but hope to get back in the groove soon!

Build well!

Ben
Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 PM
brockettman

Alright.... Here's the progress so far,

Wing is mounted and control surfaces are hinged. Still need to make some final adjustments on the flaps and ailerons. I like the way the bell crank system is working for the ailerons. Everything is nice and tight with no sign of slop...

Wing filets are installed.

Fuel tank installed and the cowl is assembled and smoothed out.

I'm ready to finish up the belly pan and get some final sanding done.

Build well!

Ben
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88255.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1670165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32908.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1670166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42105.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1670167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75303.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1670168  
Old 10-09-2011, 11:19 AM
brockettman

The wing is mounted with the belly pan finished. Time for the cowl... I'm also going to get all of the moving surfaces aligned, final fit and smoothed out for covering! .

This bird is a BRUTE!

Build well!

Ben

Name:	Qo38901.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1671687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88763.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1671688  
Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 AM
adreliable661
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job Ben! What covering and color scheme are you using? What power plant are you installing?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:38 AM
brockettman

Thanks Grumpy!!

I've got a Saito FA115 for power, and I'm doing a commemorative covering scheme:

Build well!

Ben

Name:	Tr51662.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1671693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75776.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1671694  
Old 10-09-2011, 02:24 PM
adreliable661

That's a great looking run-up box. Is that commercially available or is that your own design?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:56 PM
brockettman

I picked up my engine test stand on e-bay a couple of years ago... It is one of the best stands I've used. I suggested to the seller that he offer them here on RCU, but I haven't seen him offer anything...

Ben
Old 10-09-2011, 04:00 PM
brockettman

Old 10-22-2011, 07:20 PM
brockettman

Cowl mounting blocks are installed and I've started to get the scale radial engine fit up and ready for paint...

Also have the rudder covered

BTW I put a new set of plans down on my building table... For a Four Star 120 [8D]

Build well!

Ben

Name:	Rp43908.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1677637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56128.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1677638   Click image for larger version

Name:	In25801.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1677639  
Old 10-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Scott McCrory

I'm at about the same stage as you are. I've got my cockpit painted and ready to go and I'm ready to start on the dummy radial. Tomorrow is the last day we will be flying at one of our members field. We've been flying there for 14 yrs. so it's the end of an era.
You will absolutly love the Four Star 120! I built mine in 2003 and have well over 300 flights on it. Have an old OS 1.08 in it but it does just fine-I even use it for glider towing with no troubles. Still want to get over your way and fly sometime. Keep up the good work.

Scott
Old 10-23-2011, 05:44 AM
brockettman

Thanks Scott!

Looks like I'll have two birds to maiden in the springtime [8D]

Sorry you are losing your field... Hopefully you'll find another place close by. We'd love to see you over At Wolcott International Airport sometime

Ben
Old 11-01-2011, 07:02 PM
adreliable661

Ben, and all you other 'jugheads' out there........

I just mounted my firewall this evening and seriously contemplating what scheme I want to finish with. I have decided on Olive Drab with the light grey underbelly, along with olive drab on the cowl with a white ring on the front. My problem is I am planning on useing monocote (I have no fibreglass and paint experience). Lustrecote paint does not come in olive drab. Anyone know where I can get ODpaint that is nitro proof? Or any other solution?

I would appreciate your input.

Grumpy Gorilla
Old 11-01-2011, 07:51 PM
brockettman

Hey Grumpy,

I use automotive paints for any painting I do so I'm not real familiar with the aerosol choices that are out there. You may be able to find the color you want in some type of aerosol and then apply a fuel proof clear LustreKote over the top of that. You might have to spray out some test panels as the two paints would have to be compatible...

I just put some paint on my cowl this morning. I was able to match it to the red monocoat that will be on the tail feathers so it should look pretty good.

Build well!

Ben
Old 11-02-2011, 04:58 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use latex mixed at the local paint store to match the Monokote or you can go to www.warbirdscolors.com or use Testors Model masters paints followed with a coat of satin poly ureathane varnish.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:17 AM
brockettman

Hey guys,

Covering is not my strong suit, but I'm making some progress... This is only the third model I've covered completely with film, I'm learning a lot. My brand new trim iron broke down, so I'm waiting 'till I get the replacement sent from Tower. Should be here next week.

Build well!

Name:	Fd91805.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1691478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72518.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1691479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22886.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1691480  
Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM
adreliable661

I would say that looks mighty good! Is that Monocote or ?????????
Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM
brockettman

Hey thanks Grumpy....

It is MonoKote, and it looks real good on the flat surfaces... The wing tips look pretty good too, but I found that you have to get just the right amount of heat while stretching. I also gave up on the Xacto knife and went with a single edge razor blade for trimming the edges. I tried using a heat gun on part of it but it seems like the balsa sheeting responds better to the pressure of an iron.

I also have a woodpecker but I haven't used it yet.... It seemed as though it wasn't necessary. I wasn't trapping any air under the covering, so I just kept going...

Anyone have any thoughts/experience on benefits of using the woodpecker?

Build Well!

Ben
Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 PM
adreliable661

Monocote can take some practice but once you get the hang of it, it is a great product. You have probably seen some instructional videos on it. If not I highly recommend it. Lots of practical tips. The best advice I ever got on covering with Monocote is "don't be afraid to make seams". It makes the product much more managable and looks great. Just make sure to use the Top Flight Seam Solvent as directed and keep any seems adjusted in such a way that they are not adversely affected by the airflow.
As re the woodpecker, I like it. It seems to help greatly in reducing airpockets and getting a good bond. Monocote is so tough and heavy that I have never noticed any of the dibits appearing through the surface as some have commented re different coverings.
I prefer an iron over a heat gun. Much more control, They recommend not to use presure when adhering to balsa sheeting, rather rely on high heat to set the material. When applying Monocote over itself lower the temperature on the iron and be especially careful around existing seems, as high heat can cause the material to release its bond.
When it comes to the wingtips, cut fingers (in material, not your own ), heat and stretch. If dealing with two different colors, say top and bottom, I have found that if you place a trim piece (same color as the top) over the bottom material with a nice finish edge and then wrap your top material over the wip it will hide all those overlapping fingers and give a nice finish.

Post some more pics of your covering as you proceed. I am excited to get to that point soon and will be encouraged by your results
Old 11-29-2011, 06:10 PM
brockettman

Grumpy,

Thanks for the tips! I have the TopFlite monokote instructional video, and have read up a bit on tips and tricks... I will try the woodpecker and seam solvent on the fuse.

I know a lot of guys won't touch monokote with a ten foot pole, (an ongoing discussion in other threads) but I think I'm getting the hang of it...

As I build more models, there are other coverings I'm going to try as well as other techniques. I almost went with glass and paint on this one, but had the film from another project that never happened.

Still waiting for my replacement trim iron, and have to thank Terry for the tip to use 1000 grit paper... I thought 400 was smooth enough, but it's not!

Build well!
Ben
Old 12-17-2011, 08:47 PM
brockettman

Guys,

Here are a few pictures of the fuse covering process so far... It's coming along pretty good. I am getting some wrinkles in the tight corners[:@]... shoulda used ultracote

Almost finished!

Build well!

Ben

Name:	Wu60889.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1701504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91552.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1701505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73498.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1701506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91751.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1701507  
Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 PM
brockettman

Couple more...

Time to get the control surfaces glued on and linked up, get the engine in, canopy on.... And all the final details.

Build well... And Merry Christmas everyone!

Name:	Jh14846.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1703169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39374.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1703170  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.