Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Transporting planes in a truck

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Transporting planes in a truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:44 AM
snaproll38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting planes in a truck

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of y'all had tips for transporting planes to the field in a truck. I have an extended cab and dont want a camper yet cant afford a tonneau cover. The problem is with the cub its tricky to fit a 7ft wing in the cab..
Old 09-18-2011, 06:37 PM
flyngfrog

Default RE: Transporting planes in a truck

I think you need to tie up securelly everything and cover it because of the wind. The other option is to make boxes or one big box with compartments to carry everything.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: snaproll38

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of y'all had tips for transporting planes to the field in a truck. I have an extended cab and dont want a camper yet cant afford a tonneau cover. The problem is with the cub its tricky to fit a 7ft wing in the cab..

I'm struggling with the same problem at the moment although I don't have a large wing like you. I think I'll save my pennies this winter and next spring pop for the cover. A member in our club lost a plane because of no cover and damaged another from banging around in the wind. The cover might be "cheap" in the long run.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Flyin Beagle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up until a few weeks ago when I finally purchased a trailer, I hauled my planes in the bed of my truck without a cover. I built racks out of PVC and pipe insulation then bungy cord them into the bed of the truck. When hooking up the bungy cords get them slightly snug, but dont pull them to tight or you can break the pvc or the plane. Here are some pics from another thread on this same subject. These are not my photos, but I modeled my racks after the ones shown here. They work great. The only thing they cant help with is those days that the rain runs you off from the field. It is no fun watching everyone else leave while you are sitting under the shelter waiting for the rain to stop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61447.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1664262  
Old 09-19-2011, 08:46 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Before I got a Truck Bed/Camper Top for my Pickup; I made a PVC rack like the one pictured prior, it worked without a problem, be sure to velcro the Wings and Fuselages securely in the Rack, and be sure that the Rack itself is fasened securely to the truck as well, I was fortunate because I had one of those Rack/Rail Tie Down system on the floor of the Truck Bed; drive a little slower, angle your rear view mirror down so you can observe your planes and wings while you are driving; and pray that it doesn't rain; I might add, that I now have a top for the Truck bed and I still use that PVC rack.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:25 PM
stevenmax50

I built the same kinda thing FlyinBeagle did.  The wings are on the bottom and standing on the LE.  I have 2 crossmembers on top that swing away so that I have easy access to the wings.  I simply did not cement the crossmembers so that they can move.  Padding and velcro everywhere.  I do not have a 7 ft wing yet but it will fit with the tailgate open.  I bungee the whole assembly to the truck.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 PM
vicman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a tonneu cover and really like it. The one I have is hinged about a foot back from the front of the bed and has gas struts to hold it up. Works like a champ.

It was a little spendy though, I understand your holding off a bit but you will be very happy once you get one.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I still used my rack ever after getting the tonneau cover. It stops the planes from moving around and damaging each other. Now I drive an SUV and have to just stuff them into the vehicle however I can.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Bundubasher

Hey,you will be surprised to see how much you can get onto a pickup truck if you planit a little... and then you will have to make only 1 trip to the field....

I have the same problem and is thinking of getting an i.e. standard2.4 m trailer - no need for a customized thing,You can get a lotin there without too muchexpense.Maybe fit one of thoseslide windows in the backof the cab?

Cheers

Bundu

Name:	Qo39979.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1665113  
Old 09-21-2011, 04:59 PM
snaproll38

thats what my truck looks like when i head to the field!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:02 PM
kenh3497

ORIGINAL: Bundubasher

Hey, you will be surprised to see how much you can get onto a pickup truck if you plan it a little... and then you will have to make only 1 trip to the field.... [img][/img]

I have the same problem and is thinking of getting an i.e. standard 2.4 m trailer - no need for a customized thing, You can get a lot in there without too much expense. Maybe fit one of those slide windows in the back of the cab?

Cheers

Bundu

There room there for at least one more bale, two if you have enough rope
Old 09-21-2011, 05:27 PM
snaproll38

I think i saw that truck on boarder wars?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 PM
rye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22mGUprbdTA lol!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:05 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When I go to the field, a 40 size cub and a four star 60 go with me in the cab of a half ton chevy, both back seats get folded up, both fuselages go back there, passenger seat reclined,and both wings in the passenger seat. support box with fuel in the back seat area also. Everything rides just fine like this.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Arrow IV

Snaproll,
Not sure how involved you want to get, but here's something to consider: I have an F-150 with the 6' box and can transport a 35% Extra with the cover that I made for it. Soft tops run $650ish and the "canvas guy" wanted $350 just for the cover (no framing), so I decided to give it a shot. The plane won't fit in the bed with the tailgate closed, so a cap wouldn't work, a regular tonneau cover wouldn't work either because the rudder is too tall, so I had at it! A vinyl tarp, a bunch of snaps, a few pieces of 1/2" conduit, a big old needle, some 30 lb test fishing line (the canvas guys use it so I'm told) 4 or 5 afternoons and for less than $200 I have a top that I can remove in less than 5 minutes. I had it at the field the other day and a guy asked me how much they charged me for it, so I guess it looks pretty good! Works great too, unsnap the back, remove the rear support hoop and roll your plane out, BINGO problem solved!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:24 PM
stevenmax50

ORIGINAL: Arrow IV

Snaproll,
Not sure how involved you want to get, but here's something to consider: I have an F-150 with the 6' box and can transport a 35% Extra with the cover that I made for it. Soft tops run $650ish and the "canvas guy" wanted $350 just for the cover (no framing), so I decided to give it a shot. The plane won't fit in the bed with the tailgate closed, so a cap wouldn't work, a regular tonneau cover wouldn't work either because the rudder is too tall, so I had at it! A vinyl tarp, a bunch of snaps, a few pieces of 1/2" conduit, a big old needle, some 30 lb test fishing line (the canvas guys use it so I'm told) 4 or 5 afternoons and for less than $200 I have a top that I can remove in less than 5 minutes. I had it at the field the other day and a guy asked me how much they charged me for it, so I guess it looks pretty good! Works great too, unsnap the back, remove the rear support hoop and roll your plane out, BINGO problem solved!
How bout pics???
Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 AM
wattmeter

ORIGINAL: snaproll38

YOU MAY TRY THIS

Name:	Ur52156.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1678279  
Old 10-26-2011, 08:18 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just noticed this thread today.  If you want a tonneau, just phone a bunch of wreckers, check Kijiji, Craigs List, newspapers etc.  I have seen lots of caps for free on the side of the road.  They can be painted to match the truck and stickered with logos.  Usually the latches don't work on the free ones though. I remember seeing a cap that was canvas that folded up like an accordian and could be pushed up to the cab. 
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 AM
dakoris73

Hey Guys;

I just saw this thread, and I just got me a reg cab dodge dakota with 78" bed.... I too, can't afford a cover for my truck for a few years anyways, and thought I would resurrect this thread to see if there are any newer ideas or suggestions that I could use to secure my planes in the bed of my new truck. The majority of my planes are 40-60 size planes, but will be getting a 2 meter pattern plane to transport as well. Also, if someone has suggestions regarding a form of "affordable" covering to protect my planes in the case of rain, that would be awesome too......

Thanks and looking forward to reading your suggestions......

Dax
Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM
MEMPHISBELLE
My Feedback: (24)

I had an older truck that I welded eyes to the bed side down by the floor. I the had a bed net that I would lay over it all and hook to the eyes.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like I said, some caps are free, maybe a bit rough.  I like to put egg cartons under the wheels of the planes so they don't roll around and slide on the floor.  I have a van though.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 AM
dadragon

Flying Beagle,did the same for my 1/4 sig cub,work very well it slides in and out no problem nice transport package.