Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What does telemetry do for you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does telemetry do for you?

Greeting experts,

Could you please advise this parkflyer on the meaning of telemetry? DP
Old 10-26-2011, 09:45 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: What does telemetry do for you?

Google say:

Telemetry is a technology that allows remote measurement and transparent conveyance of remote information.[1] The word is derived from Greek roots tele = remote, and metron = measure. Systems that need external instructions and data to operate require the counterpart of telemetry, telecommand.
Although the term commonly refers to wireless data transfer mechanisms (e.g. using radio, hypersonic or infrared systems), it also encompasses data transferred over other media, such as a telephone or computer network, optical link or other wired communications like phase line carrier. Many modern telemetry systems take advantage of the low cost and ubiquity of GSM networks by using SMS to receive and transmit telemetry data.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Dai Phan

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

Google say:

Telemetry is a technology that allows remote measurement and transparent conveyance of remote information.[1] The word is derived from Greek roots tele = remote, and metron = measure. Systems that need external instructions and data to operate require the counterpart of telemetry, telecommand.
Although the term commonly refers to wireless data transfer mechanisms (e.g. using radio, hypersonic or infrared systems), it also encompasses data transferred over other media, such as a telephone or computer network, optical link or other wired communications like phase line carrier. Many modern telemetry systems take advantage of the low cost and ubiquity of GSM networks by using SMS to receive and transmit telemetry data.
Thank you for your reply. What I am asking is how telemetry seen in newer radios can help an average R/C flyer. I am debating whether to buy a TX only or TX/telemetry DX8 that will cost 80 bucks more. Is telemetry something of a novel item designed for marketing gimmick or a feature that enhances the ease/joy of RC flying? DP
Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats depends on your point of view.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 AM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dai Phan

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

Google say:

Thank you for your reply. What I am asking is how telemetry seen in newer radios can help an average R/C flyer. I am debating whether to buy a TX only or TX/telemetry DX8 that will cost 80 bucks more. Is telemetry something of a novel item designed for marketing gimmick or a feature that enhances the ease/joy of RC flying? DP
The basic information that most RC pilots would want transmitted from their aircraft to the ground, would be the Receiver battery voltage (or motor battery voltage in the case of electric power). This would apply to Park Flyers as well as Glow, Gas, and Turbine powered aircraft. Other information would be Engine RPM, Engine Head Temp, Fuel Tank, Level, etc.. Some of this would be more important to pilots of larger aircraft.

Many pilots like the Timer features of most RC transmitters. The output is in Beeps. I prefer the Talking Timer, from NuTemp. It speaks the Time Left for either Count Down or Count Up. Why I mention this is that the Hitec A9 and Spektrum DX8, both come with Telemetry, and also you can purchase a Voice Module that speaks the parameters out loud, so you do not have to look at the Tx. I like this feature. You can even use an iPod or IPhone and a Wireless Bluetooth Headset to receive the information so it does not bother your fellow pilots.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:34 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Dai Phan Greeting experts, Could you please advise this parkflyer on the meaning of telemetry? DP
As in post #5.
One good thing that has eventuated is the number of models actually saved from "unknown" inevitablecrashes.
Many reports relate to how the voltage returned by the transceiver highlights the high current draw of some servos, bad leads or installationswhich drag the voltage down below that required for continous operation of the receiver. This has led to many servo being upgraded or intallation corrected and even failing batteries being replaced before a model has been lost.

The Telemetry section, under this Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky, will assist further:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 10-26-2011, 12:36 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's how I use it:

1) RPM - I get a kick out of "flying the numbers" for landing. I also use it to see differences in performance for different props in flight. You can really see a prop unload in the air vs. on the test stand!

2) Flight Pack Volts - I use this to keep from over-discharging my battery. It also tells me when I have a weak cell before my charger will tell me.

3) Rx Volts - Wow, was this an eye-opener! I could immediately see problems with some of my models skating on the edge that I had no idea they needed some TLC. I firmly believe that if more modelers had access to this and used it there would be far fewer "shot down" complaints.

4) Airspeed - with RPM, I can see improvements in props for speed. It's also a lot of fun, and useful on a windy day when a radar gun is useless. My son and I like to see who can go faster.

5) Altitude - you'd never believe how low 400' is! It's also cool to go up half a mile and see how tiny your airplane is at that size.

6) G-Force - we announced this at iHobby last week. It's pretty slick to see how few G's our models are really pulling. My personal high is 7.3 on a Stryker in a 100MPH+ dive with a hardest-possible yank to pull out.

7) xxxxxxx - wait til you see this one!!!

For me, they add a level of protection, they increase my awareness when tuning, and they provide more fun - depending on the sensor.

Andy
Old 10-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Dai Phan

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Here's how I use it:

1) RPM - I get a kick out of ''flying the numbers'' for landing. I also use it to see differences in performance for different props in flight. You can really see a prop unload in the air vs. on the test stand!

2) Flight Pack Volts - I use this to keep from over-discharging my battery. It also tells me when I have a weak cell before my charger will tell me.

3) Rx Volts - Wow, was this an eye-opener! I could immediately see problems with some of my models skating on the edge that I had no idea they needed some TLC. I firmly believe that if more modelers had access to this and used it there would be far fewer ''shot down'' complaints.

4) Airspeed - with RPM, I can see improvements in props for speed. It's also a lot of fun, and useful on a windy day when a radar gun is useless. My son and I like to see who can go faster.

5) Altitude - you'd never believe how low 400' is! It's also cool to go up half a mile and see how tiny your airplane is at that size.

6) G-Force - we announced this at iHobby last week. It's pretty slick to see how few G's our models are really pulling. My personal high is 7.3 on a Stryker in a 100MPH+ dive with a hardest-possible yank to pull out.

7) xxxxxxx - wait til you see this one!!!

For me, they add a level of protection, they increase my awareness when tuning, and they provide more fun - depending on the sensor.

Andy
For high end big airplanes I can see the use but say simple parkflyers like the PZ Trojan, does it really make a difference? Sorry for my ignorance. DP
Old 10-26-2011, 12:57 PM
gofast53

I use the FrSky system in an 80inch wingspan ugly stick with DLE20 gas motor, is one of the cheaper telemetry setups but has good reviews. One advantage for me with this setup is that the transmitter module beeps a certain sequence to indicate range condition of plane, ie when it is nearing max range or when it has reached critical range or when it is recieving interference. A lot of fellow modelers say you should not use these cheaper RC systems in large scale planes but there are a lot of good reviews on the FrSky telemetry modules and recievers and I have not encountered any problems (unlike my Spectrum gear!), and believe me I have pushed my setup to the limit. But then as is the case on this forum others will say differently.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:21 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Andy:

Would you explain the difference between "Flight Pack Volts" from "Receiver Volts"? Is FPV the voltage put out by an unloaded battery, or under a 0.5A/1A load from an expanded scale voltmeter? I can't figure out how FPV indicates a dead cell, unless you're seeing a 4 cell pack deliver around 3.6V. I also assume that RV is the actual voltage the receiver sees during flight. I'd think that for the most part, FPV would be the same as RV during flight.

Why this interests me is that I'm about to maiden a new US60 with an AR7010 reciever, and I'm thinking about adding the flight log monitor to check voltage and radio problems. That's not telemetry, but seeing what happens to RV when a pair of electric retracts are activated is something I'd like to know.

DP:

On something like a Trojan, the telemetry stuff would in most cases fall under the "fun to have" category. Where it might really be useful is monitoring the battery voltage during flight, and you could see when you're approaching the dreaded 3V/cell cutoff point of an ESC. If you're flying the Trojan a significant distance away from the field, it'd sure be nice to know it's time to head back before the ESC cuts power to the motor 500 feet from the field, over a patch of boulders.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 PM
JIMF14D

Get a system with TM. It will save you an airplane or two eventually. The fact that you can set a lower voltage limit and have your Tx beep if the low limit is reached is valuable especially if you fly electrics and also bigger models where servo loads and current draw can have a bigger effect on your system. Look at the Hitec Aurora 9 as it comes with TM built in for battery. Lots of other nice features.

Jim D.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: FallDownGoBoom

Andy:

Would you explain the difference between ''Flight Pack Volts'' from ''Receiver Volts''? Is FPV the voltage put out by an unloaded battery, or under a 0.5A/1A load from an expanded scale voltmeter? I can't figure out how FPV indicates a dead cell, unless you're seeing a 4 cell pack deliver around 3.6V. I also assume that RV is the actual voltage the receiver sees during flight. I'd think that for the most part, FPV would be the same as RV during flight.
The Flight Pack voltage is the main battery powering an electric model, although it could be used to measure the input to a regulator on a big plane or the ignition battery on a gasser. It's a separate voltage, whatever you monitor is up to you. The only real constraints are the high voltage limit (about 60V) and that it must have a common ground (return) with the receiver.

Why this interests me is that I'm about to maiden a new US60 with an AR7010 reciever, and I'm thinking about adding the flight log monitor to check voltage and radio problems. That's not telemetry, but seeing what happens to RV when a pair of electric retracts are activated is something I'd like to know.
That is what you'll see on the rx voltage, assuming of course that they're drawing off the receiver's power.

Andy
Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Got it, thanks.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Pippin

During the good old PCM years, we already had low Rx battery voltage alarm. At least Airtronics and Futaba had. Don't know if anyone choose PCM over PPM because of this. Could have saved some planes I guess.
My buddy lost a plane recently despite telemetry and Rx battery alarm. It's not the 100% solution. Better to get the right batteries.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:05 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Pippin

During the good old PCM years, we already had low Rx battery voltage alarm. At least Airtronics and Futaba had. Don't know if anyone choose PCM over PPM because of this. Could have saved some planes I guess.
My buddy lost a plane recently despite telemetry and Rx battery alarm. It's not the 100% solution. Better to get the right batteries.
I have had Futaba radios since 1978. In PCM, I have had Conquest, T6XA, 7UAPS, 8AUPS, and 9CAP. None of the Rx's had Low Battery Warrnings.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:22 PM
DougV

Throttle channel ONLY on Futaba receivers (including 2.4 rx's) will go to fail safe if the battery pack go bellow 3.8 volts.

Doug.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:08 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: DougV

Throttle channel ONLY on Futaba receivers (including 2.4 rx's) will go to fail safe if the battery pack go bellow 3.8 volts.

Doug.
Some Futaba and JR transmitters, in PCM Mode, allowed you to set Failsafe Conditions for more than just the Throttle channel. Throttle to Idle was the Default.

Failsafe is not the same thing as a Warning Alarm, such as some Third Party devices you can connect to any Rx. Failsafe on PCM Rx's did not kick in if power was lost to the Rx, only if the Signal was lost or blocked from the Tx.

I was just responding to the statement "During the good old PCM years, we already had low Rx battery voltage alarm."

Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 PM
DougV

Apart from the regular failsafe, Futaba receivers also have low battery warning, from one of the manuals:

"Battery FailSafe (F/S ): A second battery low warning feature. When the airborne battery voltage drops below approximately 3.8V, the receiver’s battery F/S function moves the throttle to a
predetermined position. When the Battery F/S function is activated, your engine will move to idle (if you haven't set
a position) or a preset position. You should immediately land. You may temporarily reset the Battery F/S function by
moving the THROTTLE STICK to idle. You will have about 30 seconds of throttle control before the battery function
reactivates."

Doug.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 PM
BuschBarber

Apart from the regular failsafe, Futaba receivers also have low battery warning, from one of the manuals:

''Battery FailSafe (F/S ): A second battery low warning feature. When the airborne battery voltage drops below approximately 3.8V, the receiver’s battery F/S function moves the throttle to a
predetermined position. When the Battery F/S function is activated, your engine will move to idle (if you haven't set
a position) or a preset position. You should immediately land. You may temporarily reset the Battery F/S function by
moving the THROTTLE STICK to idle. You will have about 30 seconds of throttle control before the battery function
reactivates.''

Doug.
I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just have not seen this in any of the Futaba PCM receivers I have used up through the ones I used with the 9CAP. I know that since Futaba introduced their version of 2.4, Futaba receivers have a Failsafe feature that activates with low Rx battery voltage.

I believe the last Futaba PCM receivers I used were the 138DP, 148DP, and 149DP.

What model receiver manual are you referring to?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 PM
DougV

From my old 9c manual page #43:

Battery FailSafe (F/S): a second battery low warning feature (separate from the transmitter low voltage warning). When
the airborne battery voltage drops below approximately 3.8V, the PCM receiver’s battery F/S function moves the throttle
to a predetermined position. When the Battery F/S function is activated, your engine will move to idle (if you haven't set
reactivates.

Receivers R138/R148/R149

Doug.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:09 PM
BuschBarber

From my old 9c manual page #43:

Battery FailSafe (F/S): a second battery low warning feature (separate from the transmitter low voltage warning). When
the airborne battery voltage drops below approximately 3.8V, the PCM receiver’s battery F/S function moves the throttle
to a predetermined position. When the Battery F/S function is activated, your engine will move to idle (if you haven't set
reactivates.

Receivers R138/R148/R149

Doug.
Doug - I was not aware that the feature was present on those receivers. I sold my 9CAP and all my Futaba receivers after the JR XP9303 came out. The 9303 blew away the 9CAP in so many ways, but when Spektrum came out with the 2.4 module for the 9303 and I still had 9 proportional channels in PPM, PCM, and 2.4, I never looked back.

Sorry if I was misinformed about the Rx Battery Failsafe. I guess I never had a low Rx battery when I had the 9CAP. I don't remember reading about it in the 9C manual.

Thanks for the Update!!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 PM
TimBle

reading is being a rare skil :/
Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Grooverc

So far as I know, most of the radios have low-voltage alarm. So I think if you just fly normal aircraft, then no need telemetry. Telemetry is significant to FPV much more.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:56 AM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Grooverc

So far as I know, most of the radios have low-voltage alarm. So I think if you just fly normal aircraft, then no need telemetry. Telemetry is significant to FPV much more.

On the contrary, I have seen many an aircraft go in due to low or faulty Rx batteries. Having a visual or audible Rx battery warning, at the Tx, is major advancement in RC technology. Engine head temp and engine RPM is also valuable to ensure longer engine life and maximizing performance. We have to deal with Altitude limits at our field. Altitude telemetry helps the pilot keep within those limits.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:44 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perosnally I feel every radio should have at least:

Engine RPM
Fuel level(Or motor battery voltage for electrics)
Rx voltage
Engine temperature(Measured at the plug, or if electric, measured at the windings if possible)
Vehicle speed

I feel having these features would make it much easier to fly, keep more planes from eating it, and let people stay in the air longer. No more setting a timer and guesstimating how much fuel's in the tank, you've got a readout right in front of ya. It'd also be nice for car guys to know their engine RPM, temps and speed in real time, both for bragging rights and for diagnostic purposes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.