Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Survey: Micro Motor Endurance

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Saburo Sakai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Survey: Micro Motor Endurance

Dudes and any fine ladies out there:
1.) What's the longest time of service you've gotten out of any particular (specify, please) micro motor in one ofthese fantastic micro warriors?
2.)What's the most impressive thing they've survived and remained operating?
3.) Now how about those tiny micro servo motors? Length of service and abuse survival?
So far my PZ micros have survived the usual impacts, some impressive, but the most stress yet was the submersion in salt water of UM T-28 #1. I sprayed LPS-1 over the circuit board/servos and put LPS-2 onto each electric motor shaft and have had no rust, and the plane performs like a finely-tuned swiss watch to this very day.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:45 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Survey: Micro Motor Endurance

I have been running the micro sukhoi 26m and the white one for well over a year. I have about fifty of the batterys that go in them. The blue and yellow on just had the power panel go out in it. Now that is after a year of flying it two or three times a week. And they want $67.00 bucks for that I will just save up and buy a whole new plane. Maybe the new micro beast they put a bigger motor in her for more power.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 PM
cjg

It seems the motors vary in quality. Some last a dozen or so flight before squeeling and or drawing too much power. Others last a long time (over a year.) It is just the luck of the draw when you buy a replacement.

I've had full nose dives into grass which crack the motor mount and break the foam nose, but the motor and shaft ok.
Crashes seem to damage the gear box housing more than the motor.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Saburo Sakai

Thanks, dudes!
Yesterday micro T-28 #1 touched down on the bayside grass at my field and somesand kicked up on her nose 'cause it's been so dry here. Somesand maybe got on/inthe motor so I first air-blasted it then put some LPS-2 on her. She runs fine, but we'll see how long. Note: I've got a micro-vacuum that should get rid of that sand, too, and I think these are great tools for all-around dust/sand/dirt removal, especially if a bird has been sitting around anywhere near your a/c/heater vents.
So, so far this micro T-28 motor has been exposed to: water, salt, and SAND! And, with attentions to remedy,so far she's fine....
Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Wish they would make a brushless plugin kit for our brushed micro planes... [:-]
Old 11-29-2011, 04:33 AM
RKS1949

I think alot has to do with how long you wait between flights! The little motors get hot (not to us) but jnside the case. Letting the motor sit around 7-8 minutes between flights will extend the motors life. Having said that.I have a hard time waiting for them to cool off! A second plane would make the wait much easier,but the motors are really not that high either,so it's not that big of a deal either! I have a MCX heli that I've flown for 2 years,and never let the motors cool between flights, (can't seem to kill them) LOL! Maybe some are made better than others? Ron
Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 PM
mikesand
My Feedback: (1)

keep motors cool is VIP. after a long hot run.,i have a lil PC fan motor at 5 v and canibalized from an old CPU board that cools down the motor fats so I can get back up.  Both the internal stator/ rotor windings  melt the varnish if too hot, then of course the supermagnets get weaker after several heat cycles.

mike
Old 05-06-2012, 03:47 PM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

with my experience, the stock motor tends to survive longer than the airframe itself. I have never killed one of the motors, but I have killed a couple of planes and mangled antother.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:30 AM
Real Gambler

Keep in mind that I always have tons of high quality batteries with me when I fly, and I simply land, switch battery and fly within 15 seconds, so no break on those poor brushed motors.

So far, I got:  79, 33, 93, 57, 78, 123 flights on original motors...     The fact that I use batteries that can deliver a lot of current, and also because I fly quite often at wide open throttle may explain such poor results.  Do I mind?  Not at all.  Take only a few minutes to switch the motor and fly again.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Saburo Sakai

Impressive service life, considering cost/combat useage. It's amazing the little linear servos don't throw off their little track or stick more often. It's only happened to me a couple times and not in flight. Now, back to the next generation of Micro Weaponry (tm): the .5mm. gattling gun and the heavy-hitting 2mm infrared-seeking rocketwith Micro Explosive warhead.