Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Old 10-30-2011, 09:22 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

ORIGINAL: Ptec

I cracked the little cup the front axle sits into. Looks like I will need a replacement. It is cracked and all mushroomed out. Does not spin free. Or maybe ill just make it a 3 wheel drive monster truck [img][/img]
I hope they have an up grade to them because on both of our trucks the front ones are worn pretty good.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:53 AM
JUSTPASSEDU
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Foxy

What got me about the review was if you weigh up the good and the bad, I don't see how they can end up not liking it...

1) Steering servo...yeh, like there is an RTR in existence that has an appropriately specced steering servo...next!

2) Rocks get in hard to reach places...well, yeh, but where a rock can get in, it can also get out...sure it might be annoying, but it hardly makes or breaks an RC.

3) The tires...on the one hand they said that the tires wer bad, on the other they said they were traction rolling...er, which is it? Also, these are all purpose tires, they are not supposed to be outstanding on anything in particular, just hard wearing all surfaces...

4) Speed control...this is the big deal breaker and they played it down...wth?

On the plus side they said...

1) Fast as hell

2) Great fun

3) Cheap

4) Indestructible...

Oh, and they also had a non specific diff problem, which may or may not have been in their imaginations. Clearly traxxas anboys, so take the review for what it is with that in mind...

Jang at URC basically said similar things, that he had a bunch of non-specific problems with it, but it was fast and fun...so er, the only thing we're seeing for certain is that...

1) it is is normal RTR with everything that includes, such as a substandard servo and a dodgy ESC

2) It is very strong

3) It is competitively priced

4) It is very fast

Hm...[&:]
ThunderbirdJunkie suspects that the only reason anybody doesn't like the XS is because they have a first-run model.

Two guys at the LHS were pondering what to get, ThunderbirdJunkie recommended the XS, and he also said ''Dunno how it's gonna hold up on 3S, so don't go 3S. It's just stupid on 2S, there's no need for it anyway.''

They both bought XS's and loved them. Come to find out they both ran 3S and smoked their ESC's.

Is the truck even drivable on 3S?

Anyway, apparently one of the trucks' rear diffs wasn't shimmed properly from the get-go, and it'd barely move under its own power. BTW, R&P are the same as the Bullet's.

Other guy had no issues...until he ran 3S.

Supposedly neither ESC smells fried, it just doesn't power up when you plug it in...which suggests to ThunderbirdJunkie that it has a weak BEC.

So he totally believes that it's an MMP now[&:]

Redfisher...the big Savage Flux is an awesome truck. ThunderbirdJunkie has driven several, and he needs to get off his duff and finish his electric 1/8 Savage (just need batteries...$250 for Orion 3S packs is the big hurdle[&:])

I had a 1st run model and I still like the xs but there are just a few things I don't like about it aswell. Of course the obvious is the esc , even if hpi/castle fixes them , they should still be able to run 3s reliably if it is advertised when trying to sell the truck to consumers. The truck is a bit of a pain to work on compared to other cars and trucks out there but once you take it apart a few times youll be a pro which will most likely have to happen if yourun this truck allot. The parts on this truck are made pretty cheaply in my opinion. Drivetrain parts should not wear after only a few runs , with hop ups this can be fixed but again with a Rtr truck advertised being able to use 3s they should of made the truck tough enough to handle it. I am not talking about crashing and breaking parts bc for it's size it's tough but the wear of parts is not good at all. I like the design and it's a fun truck when it runs well , no doubt about that but it def needed some more time in research & development department before being released.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:17 AM
redfisher1974

Adjustable top links. [link=http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/106732/]HERE[/link]
Old 10-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Ptec

Icant figure out how to get this apart. How do Iremove the hub from the carrier?

ORIGINAL: Ptec

Icracked the little cup the front axle sits into. Looks like Iwill need a replacement. It is cracked and all mushroomed out. Does not spin free. Or maybe ill just make it a 3 wheel drive monster truck
Old 10-30-2011, 01:40 PM
spena

While waiting for my replacement parts i decided to upgrade my xs and bought the proline powerstroke shocks. However im unsure about which turnbuckle to use to replace the xs's crappy turnbuckle. Will a pair of Traxxas turnbuckles (TRA3737) fit?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:57 PM
hereticgod
My Feedback: (9)

Ran the xs with mamba max in it today, 2 packs on 3s no more cogging issues at all ran smooth and very crazy on 3s but I liked it.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:06 PM
nitro-rob

I swapped out the servo, tires, radio system, ESC and motor so all of the weak points are covered. I've beaten mine mostly hard on 3s and only have excessive drive cup wear and one broken fake headlight to show for it so far. The chassis has been top-knotch for me so far.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:31 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: hereticgod

Ran the xs with mamba max in it today, 2 packs on 3s no more cogging issues at all ran smooth and very crazy on 3s but I liked it.
Did you run the old Mamba Max or the Mamba Max Pro?
Old 10-30-2011, 02:34 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: Foxy

What got me about the review was if you weigh up the good and the bad, I don't see how they can end up not liking it...

1) Steering servo...yeh, like there is an RTR in existence that has an appropriately specced steering servo...next!

2) Rocks get in hard to reach places...well, yeh, but where a rock can get in, it can also get out...sure it might be annoying, but it hardly makes or breaks an RC.

3) The tires...on the one hand they said that the tires wer bad, on the other they said they were traction rolling...er, which is it? Also, these are all purpose tires, they are not supposed to be outstanding on anything in particular, just hard wearing all surfaces...

4) Speed control...this is the big deal breaker and they played it down...wth?

On the plus side they said...

1) Fast as hell

2) Great fun

3) Cheap

4) Indestructible...

Oh, and they also had a non specific diff problem, which may or may not have been in their imaginations. Clearly traxxas anboys, so take the review for what it is with that in mind...

Jang at URC basically said similar things, that he had a bunch of non-specific problems with it, but it was fast and fun...so er, the only thing we're seeing for certain is that...

1) it is is normal RTR with everything that includes, such as a substandard servo and a dodgy ESC

2) It is very strong

3) It is competitively priced

4) It is very fast

Hm...[&:]
ThunderbirdJunkie suspects that the only reason anybody doesn't like the XS is because they have a first-run model.

Two guys at the LHS were pondering what to get, ThunderbirdJunkie recommended the XS, and he also said ''Dunno how it's gonna hold up on 3S, so don't go 3S. It's just stupid on 2S, there's no need for it anyway.''

They both bought XS's and loved them. Come to find out they both ran 3S and smoked their ESC's.

Is the truck even drivable on 3S?

Anyway, apparently one of the trucks' rear diffs wasn't shimmed properly from the get-go, and it'd barely move under its own power. BTW, R&P are the same as the Bullet's.

Other guy had no issues...until he ran 3S.

Supposedly neither ESC smells fried, it just doesn't power up when you plug it in...which suggests to ThunderbirdJunkie that it has a weak BEC.

So he totally believes that it's an MMP now[&:]

Redfisher...the big Savage Flux is an awesome truck. ThunderbirdJunkie has driven several, and he needs to get off his duff and finish his electric 1/8 Savage (just need batteries...$250 for Orion 3S packs is the big hurdle[&:])
I have 2 first run XS's and the only issue I have had is with the antenna getting wrapped around the axle and breaking.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:52 PM
redfisher1974

Still waiting on the wheelie bar and swaybar kit to come out from HPI
Old 10-30-2011, 02:53 PM
hereticgod

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

The old mamba max with updated firmware and a esc fan. I am also running dirt works tires but all stock otherwise.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:14 PM
redfisher1974

Do the dirtworks help with the torque steer? I have a hard time keeping mine straight on the stock tires.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:16 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

The old mamba max with updated firmware and a esc fan. I am also running dirt works tires but all stock otherwise.
What fan are you running?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:09 PM
hereticgod

I rigged up a traxxas vxl esc fan I had lying around works pretty good, I like the dirtworks tires seems to help the torque steer a bit. Does still pull a bit but better.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:18 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: JUSTPASSEDU

I had a 1st run model and I still like the xs but there are just a few things I don't like about it aswell. Of course the obvious is the esc , even if hpi/castle fixes them , they should still be able to run 3s reliably if it is advertised when trying to sell the truck to consumers. The truck is a bit of a pain to work on compared to other cars and trucks out there but once you take it apart a few times youll be a pro which will most likely have to happen if yourun this truck allot. The parts on this truck are made pretty cheaply in my opinion. Drivetrain parts should not wear after only a few runs , with hop ups this can be fixed but again with a Rtr truck advertised being able to use 3s they should of made the truck tough enough to handle it. I am not talking about crashing and breaking parts bc for it's size it's tough but the wear of parts is not good at all. I like the design and it's a fun truck when it runs well , no doubt about that but it def needed some more time in research & development department before being released.
Of course the parts are cheap. It's a cheap little truck.
ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Do the dirtworks help with the torque steer? I have a hard time keeping mine straight on the stock tires.
Stock servo?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM
nitro-rob

Mine does it with a hitec 5685 still. I haven't thought of tires helping with it and haven't had my dirt works on in a while but will put them on and try it out.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:27 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: JUSTPASSEDU

Of course the parts are cheap. It's a cheap little truck.
ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Stock servo?
Yes it has the stock servo.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 PM
chvytruckboy
My Feedback: (5)

this is my first post in this forum. I have had my xs for about a month now and out of all my rcs this is by far my fav! even though the esc went within the first five min of having it I hadent even left the hobby shop yet lol so i walked back in and they swapped it out for me. all i have to say is this thing rocks! I am not easy on any rc car or truck by far and Ive had far more expensive models that i have dumped way more money into for breakage for doing way less strenuous things anyone who dosent like this truck is NUTS!!!! way i look at it is even in the auto industry the first year cars always have their problems this is no different so to all the haters out their get over it!

BTW i had purchased a tbone rear bumper and wheelie bar for my losi xxt and after seeing the one for the xs realized it was the same just different bolt holes needless to say i modded the wheelie bar to fit on the xs.... big help i must say!!! will post pics tommorow if anyone wants to see.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Ptec

Speaking of ESCfans I rigged up dual fans on top of my mamba max using the stock esc hold down. It works very well and looks cool. Iraised the ESCjust a little bit and then made an acrylic box for the fans that sits on top of the hold down. I'll post some pics up later.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:21 AM
spena

which turnbuckle would fit the xs? the Jato 61mm Front Turnbuckle (5538)?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:32 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: spena

TRA2443, you need 3 packs. Bandit.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:37 AM
spena

ORIGINAL: spena

TRA2443, you need 3 packs. Bandit.
thank tbj! just wondering tho why 3 packs? dont I just need 2?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Camber links and toe links.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 AM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: chvytruckboy

this is my first post in this forum. I have had my xs for about a month now and out of all my rcs this is by far my fav! even though the esc went within the first five min of having it I hadent even left the hobby shop yet lol so i walked back in and they swapped it out for me. all i have to say is this thing rocks! I am not easy on any rc car or truck by far and Ive had far more expensive models that i have dumped way more money into for breakage for doing way less strenuous things anyone who dosent like this truck is NUTS!!!! way i look at it is even in the auto industry the first year cars always have their problems this is no different so to all the haters out their get over it!

BTW i had purchased a tbone rear bumper and wheelie bar for my losi xxt and after seeing the one for the xs realized it was the same just different bolt holes needless to say i modded the wheelie bar to fit on the xs.... big help i must say!!! will post pics tommorow if anyone wants to see.

Welcome chvytrukboy, I agree with you. Its a great little truck with a few weaknesses that are easily modded out.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Ptec

Just wanted to say that while this truck is new and parts are hard to come by from the LHS HPI customer service is top notch.  I RMA'd my ESC and turn around time was great.  I now have this problem with the broken axle and they are going to warranty it for me.  They asked I email a pic of the broken item and they will ship out new parts for me.  Thumbs up to HPI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.