Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Chip Hyde Split with CA Model

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 PM
wayne260
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip Hyde Split with CA Model

Spoke to Chip Hyde today about some issues I was having with CA Model. He informed me that he has broken his ties with CA due to some unresovled issues. Chip said he was happy to help people with with info and support on his composite wings but he may not be making them available to CA model anylonger. He also does not do any of the paintwork for that company anymore. Sad that what once was a winning combination with a great track record has ended. Good luck with the new venture Chip.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 PM
wattsup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Chip Hyde Split with CA Model

Chip, I wish you continued success and feel you will do well in your new endeavor. Afterall, you are an innovator!___Everette
Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow.. this must be very recent developments.. Didn't hear a word about this at the shootout.

Good luck Chip. Hope all is well.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 PM
pattratt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As most are aware I have purchased over the last 10 months four CA Model aircraft painted and complete. Two of these A/C met an early demise [one due to ailerons not plugged-in the other equipment mal-function], two currently flying. I have only dealt with Chip on all of these purchases. I and many others have had quality issues in various ways and Chip has been the guy to make all these "right!" I always new Chip would inspect and correct any manufacturing issues along with handling the paint, final setup and alignments issues that have plagued CA for years. As a result of this I have recommended Ca Models to many others. While at the Worlds & Nats I had several conversations with Chip on the new Cation and inspected a completed model that was on display. Chip and I agreed on a price and I ordered one to only be started and completed after HE returned to Argentina. Chip then asked that I send a $1000 to Marcrlo which I did with the above stipulations on Chips return.
Shortly after I sent the deposit, Marcelo's De Ja Vu became available to me at a very good price and I bought it from Marcrlo as it was still in the US thanks to Scott McHarg! Chip then contacted me and said he was not going back to Argentina soon as he was going to fly in the Tuson Shoot Out and would delay the Cation and was that OK by me? I told him no problem as I was going to be experimenting with a Contr Drive on Marcelo's De Ja Vu that I had just purchased. We left it that he would call me when he got back. Then two weeks ago I sent Marcelo an e-mail stating that as a result of my success with the Contra Conversion on his De Ja Vu that I just purchased I wanted him to return my deposit and cancel the Cation order. We sent several emails back & forth and it was becoming obvious he wasn't going to willingly return my deposit! Soon after Chip called to tell me what was going on with he and Marcelo. He said he had shut the paint shop down, was no longer associated with CA Models, and had taken a full time job with a Defense Contractor. I told him what was going on with my effort to get my Cation deposit back from Marcelo. He told me Marcelo seldom returned a cash deposit but he would try and help me get it back. After two weeks of trying to get it back and the "Cat" being out of the bag on Chip no longer being associated with Marcelo, I am writting this post to WARN all who maybe contiplating buying anything from Marcelo to be very very careful in dealing with him especially on the "Fire Sale Items" he recently put on his website. What ever you do "don't send him any type of deposit with any expectation of ever getting it back should something change!
It is my feeling that If [and that's a big if] CA Models stays in business the quality of their product will suffer greatly. I already know of two such issues that have occurred as a result of Chip not being involved with Marcelo's recent deliveries. I am sure Chip will be chiming in on this soon.
So be very careful in dealing with CA in the future!
Dick
Old 11-02-2011, 05:57 AM
tuny

Old 11-02-2011, 07:20 AM
pattratt

Tunny
Because the deposit money was sent to MARCELO with specific instructions from me and Chip to not start anything until Chip returned to over-see the construction and finishing of the aircraft.
I would also tell you that had he returned the deposit this conversation would not be happening. I have a number of e-mails to Marcelo warning him of the consequences of not returning the $1000 deposit. Tunny, I know you mean well but there are a lot of issues that have in the past and will occur in the future that without Chip's involvement go unresolved! Personally I would not order from him again based on not having a "consumer advocate" like Chip to handle problems as they occur. There were many unresolved issues before Chip got directly involved with Marcelo and I fear there will be many more as a result of his departure. I know this for sure, if Chip was still involved with Marcelo I would have had my deposit back weeks ago! Also please note that I did not say people should not buy from Marcelo, only to be wary of sending him deposit money with the expectation of ever getting it back should circumstances warrant it. Others can make their own decisions about dealing with CA Models but they will at least have the benefit of current information.
Dick
Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

There's no excuse for failure to refund Dick's money. Mike
Old 11-02-2011, 09:42 AM
wayne260

Hi Dick,
I believe I have the sister ship to the one you bought and my experience has also been negative. I bought the plane from Marcelo and found out the plane was still in USA with Chip. After a fair bit of emailng with Marcelo the plane finally ended up at my house. After I unpacked it I found the right hand wing was totalled. There was no sign of damage to the box it was shipped in or any other components of the plane. Sent further emails to Marcelo who replied telling me the aircraft was fine when he left the U.S. He said if I wanted a new wing he could get me one for $700.Couldn't really argue it was buy the wing or have no aircraft at all. At this stage I still assumed Chip and CA were a team. Sent my money to Marcelo and heard nothing back for weeks not even an update. I then decided to try a different avenue and got in touch with Chip. This is the point where everything got interesting. Chip informed me that had he had my number he would have warned me from buying the plane and asked me to desrcibe the damage to the wing. Once I described the damage Chip told me that the damage was not from freight it was in actual fact a wing the had failed in flight which he and others witnessed due to poor set up. I beleive the wing failed during practice flights. This also explained why the wings didn't fit the fuz and none of the adjusters lined up. It wasn't even the wing for the plane. Didn't make much sense to me why someone would attend a WC with a No2 model that didn't even fit together.
Anyway all the pieces to the puzzle have now come together my new wing (which after I found what really happened to it I shouldn't be paying for but no refund will follow) is on the way but not finished by Chip so we will see about quality and weight. Like you Dick this has all been enough for me to not deal with CA ever again!!
I am sure alot of people have had positives with this company before and this is only my personal experience. Everyone in this game is big enough to make their own decisions.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:42 AM
pattratt

Wayne
I was aware of your situtation after the fact. Yes this sounds like the wing that failed at the practice field at the worlds according to people that witnessed the failure. It is my understanding that Chip was the one controlling the develooment of the Composite wing and the cause was due to flutter due to an incorrect setup on the aileron servo? Chip said he was horrified as this was the first showing of the new wing on a world stage! It"s probable Marcelo was aware of the issue prior to the aircraft being shipped to you! Who shipped the aircraft? There are several other current issues that I am aware but do not feel it appropiate for me to discuss. Like yours, I feel it's up to the individuals involved to decide weather or not to go public! Are you getting a set of wings or just one wing panel. You may be better off with a complete set as Chip told me previously that the new version were much lighter than what Marcelos aircraft had. I hate that all this is happening as CA Models really filled a "Void" in "Custom" painted pattern aircraft market! At least people know what's going on prior to making there decisions now.
Dick
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The wing failure in Chip's aircraft was NOT flutter or anything related including structural, the wing bolt got loose do to Chip trying something new, but it did not work, so it failed and the wing came off in flight.

That aircraft was Chip's main for the F sequence, and he wanted to keep flying that one, that is why a new wing was installed on that airplane overnigt, who bught the aircraft later is a something I am not aware of as Chip sold all his airplanes there at the field after the contest was done.

I think it is very important to get the facts straight, and I can only help with the information I got first hand because I was there and are friends with Marcelo and Chip.

Regards

Alejandro P.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:04 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

To my knowledge there was no new wing installed. The wing that failed was repaired and was flown. I know this as the finish job was not paint, it was pink monokote installed where the pink paint was previously. From everything I heard it was not a failure of the wing, but the attachment method. I didn't see the incident, but did see the wing after the repairs, and unless someone told you where to look it was very hard to notice.

Arch
Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 AM
pattratt

Apereia and Arch
We are not talking about Chips aircraft! We are talking about Marcelo's De Ja Vu.
Chip flew a Visa! You are both correct about Chips Visa!
Dick
Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Doug Cronkhite

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

To my knowledge there was no new wing installed. The wing that failed was repaired and was flown. I know this as the finish job was not paint, it was pink monokote installed where the pink paint was previously. From everything I heard it was not a failure of the wing, but the attachment method. I didn't see the incident, but did see the wing after the repairs, and unless someone told you where to look it was very hard to notice.

Arch
Actually Arch.. I was under the impression it was a new wing with the portion of the wing with the inspection sticker grafted onto it to make it legal under the letter of the rules.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 AM
pattratt

Doug
I think you are correct and if memorey serves the FAI jury was aware of the type of fix but not positive about that.
Dick
Old 11-02-2011, 12:20 PM
wattsup

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

IMHO, Marcelo has lost sight of the big picture after being blinded by a short term gain of a paltry $1000 USD! After Dick's experience, I will probably never buy another CA Model pattern plane. Note, I have been a customer for many years. Wayne 260 you are right, all of us in this game should be big enough to make our own decisions. But what I am talking about is the lack of honesty for the sake of a fast buck. We've all seen this before and like I said before in another thread around here, it's about choices. If we collectively "boycott" CA models over the next 2 seasons, I gaurantee Marcelo will beg Dick to take his $1000 deposit back. Unfortunately alot of people will be hurt in the process ie, employees, pattern retailers and we consumers. It seems there is another new pattern plane design about every other month so it's not like we have limited choices. Keep in mind, CA Models is not the only game in town. Just my thoughts, Everette
Old 11-02-2011, 12:34 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Nice post Everette. Iagree. Mike
ORIGINAL: wattsup

IMHO, Marcelo has lost sight of the big picture after being blinded by a short term gain of a paltry $1000 USD! After Dick's experience, I will probably never buy another CA Model pattern plane. Note, I have been a customer for many years. Wayne 260 you are right, all of us in this game should be big enough to make our own decisions. But what I am talking about is the lack of honesty for the sake of a fast buck. We've all seen this before and like I said before in another thread around here, it's about choices. If we collectively "boycott" CA models over the next 2 seasons, I gaurantee Marcelo will beg Dick to take his $1000 deposit back. Unfortunately alot of people will be hurt in the process ie, employees, pattern retailers and we consumers. It seems there is another new pattern plane design about every other month so it's not like we have limited choices. Keep in mind, CA Models is not the only game in town. Just my thoughts, Everette
Old 11-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Doug Cronkhite

I think it's important to not turn this situation into a witch hunt. None of us really know all the details of what's going on between Chip and Marcelo. As for Dick's situation, that's just plain bad business, and THAT sort of thing will come to back to bite you, especially in this small of an industry.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 PM
CAMODEL

Just to clarify a little bit and do not create confusions, I want to state that Camodel has ended the business relations with his sponsored pilot, collaborator and co-designer in some models Mr. Chip Hyde. The reasons are strictly confidential as we were related in several ways, not just business wise.

Camodel will continue developing new aircrafts as it has been doing it for over 30 years, even though the brand Camodel was established about 10 years ago as means of opening the export market to all over the world. Camodel has been improving the quality of their models year after year, as it can be seen in so many construction posts in very important forums like RCUniverse.

Once in a while we offer discounted prices on certain products for our customers can benefit form them, but in no way have any other meaning as there are just very few of them on the sale price, there are no tricks there so assuming there are and post that in public will create deception in the public.

We will continue working very hard with the same straight and even more now, with the same qualified personnel who have been building the planes that have come out form our factory, as only Camodel have built the models, soon after Chip’s paint shop closed Camodel to continue the work at our factory, so rest assured, the paint quality will be there as always, as these workers painted all the models, for sure the creativity and custom designs from Chip will not be there, but we will contineu to provide as with many other companies custom colors and schemes.

We used to have other very renown pilots like Christophe Paysant Leroux, with how we are good friends, but as he decided to go to Oxai to produce his designs, Camodel kept going forward designing new successful aircraft of original design, and some with Chip’s collaboration, and we will continue to produce as said before some new models which are on the design table right now.

In regards to the specific issue of the Cation, Camodel was only going to produce the Cation and composite wings for Chip Hyde, but do to a mutual agreement it was decided not to continue that project. It worth clarifying Dick’s Cation was ordered two months ago, it was built and just waiting for Dick’s final finish, information that never arrived, and Chip has always pushed very hard to get all the planes ready on time so he wanted us to have them ready as soon as possible, there was no such thing as a deposit for an aircraft in case the customer decided later if he wanted the aircraft or not, the aircraft was built as the money to start the project was received. If it is true that two weeks ago the order was cancelled and yesterday we agreed to return the deposit money, sounds very sad now that a doubt is raised about the quality and the commitment we always had.

When someone writes in forums so prestigious like this, without really knowing the whole story and its details, there is a known risk of damaging the reputation of people or companies, reason to be cautious with the opinions we express in writing in public media.

Best regards
Old 11-02-2011, 03:13 PM
pattratt

Quote "In regards to the specific issue of the Cation, Camodel was only going to produce the Cation and composite wings for Chip Hyde, but do to a mutual agreement it was decided not to continue that project. It worth clarifying Dick’s Cation was ordered two months ago, it was built and just waiting for Dick’s final finish, information that never arrived, and Chip has always pushed very hard to get all the planes ready on time so he wanted us to have them ready as soon as possible, there was no such thing as a deposit for an aircraft in case the customer decided later if he wanted the aircraft or not, the aircraft was built as the money to start the project was received. If it is true that two weeks ago the order was cancelled and yesterday we agreed to return the deposit money, sounds very sad now that a doubt is raised about the quality and the commitment we always had." End Quote

Marcelo
Your above statement is an out and out lie. I have your e-mai sent me after receiving the deposit requesting info on what I wanted to do and my response to you that nothing was to happen on anything until Chip returned to Argentina as per my agreement with Chip. All of the order specifics were given to you by Chip as I had no conversations with you regarding this purchase. The only thing done in the order process by me with you was to send a $1000 deposit to you as requested by Chip. He was the one that specified that nothing be done until he returned to Argentina. If this so called finished Cation in my color scheme exists let's see a picture of it with my name and AMA number on it. In all our communications this is the first time any mention of a finished aircraft has emurged. I will further ask publically that Chip provide a comment on our agreement with the Cation and if he is aware of any Cation that was built for me. I think not! Anyone that knows me will attest that I am a man of my word and that means more to me than any amount of money. All you will prove with your post is that you continue to be a lying unscrouplous individual. Everything with you is always someone elses fault. It's how you do business! It now appears your blaming Chip as I never had any discussion with you regarding the purchase of a Cation. If others choose to do business with you that's there call but I will not and would caution them to be very careful!
Dick Mundee
Old 11-02-2011, 04:03 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something, but I read in CAMODEL post he agreed to refund you the deposit, am I wrong?

Regards

Alejandro P.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:30 PM
pattratt

Apereira
Yes, you are wrong.
Dick
Old 11-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Ok here we go. I was not going to say anymore then what I had told my close friends over the past couple months as I have never wanted to look like I was the person out to get CA. As far as I was concerned we could just go our seperate ways and people could make their own decisions Doug this is why I never mentioned anything to you as rescently as the shootout.

As far as CA stopping any sponsorship that is a joke and I cannot even believe Marcelo could say that but ok. I do not want to go into a bunch of detail but I will clear up a few things.

1. Dick made a small deposite at my request to Marcelo for a Cation with very clear instructions as Dick stated. He has been trying for weeks to get it back with no avail and in the end I have had to refund this out of my own pocket because Dick has become not only a good customer but a good friend. (Closed $1000.00 paid to Dick and if Marcelo ever refunds him any I will get my money) Dan U. Bought one of the first Cations. It was sub standard, delivered several months late and yes according to Marcelo this was all my fault. I have already promised Dan a new Cation when it is available next year. (All this took place long after I left Arg. for the worlds but Dan made his order through me so I felt responcible)

2. Waynes airplane. 20 of us watched this plane flutter and break the wing at the worlds. I used the other panel on my Visa as Arch and others described. Marcelo packed this plane and shipped it to Wayne as a ready to fly plane. (End result Wayne bought a fuselage with the broken wing and then had to buy another wing which he still can't get)

3. Alejandro you told me more about problems with Marcelo then anyone so please lets just keep to our own business.

3.5. Man I am so sorry Alejandro. Tuny please lets keep to ourselves.

4. I have had to threaten with legal action to make sure that the Cation remains Marianos Baby. I can tell everyone this. We have a deal with one of the top manufactures in the business to produce this plane in the near future and the announcement will be made shortley. I believe everyone will be pleasantly surprised. This arrangement was made at the Worlds.

5. We stopped painting for Marcelo several weeks ago. I have kept the shop in Arg. as well as all the contacts and connections to someday in the near future continue with the F3A planes. The people in Arg. that make the planes are very good and honest people. Please keep in mind that the only thing CA has done for the past 18 months is pack and ship the models. All of the construction, assembly, painting, and design were done by outside persons. CA has only 1 or 2 part time employees now days as compared to the 30 they had in the past. (Please remember I can only speak for up to a couple months ago as that was the last dealings I have had)

6. (This is my personal feeling) I can only tell you guys we did work our butts off for the last two years and have built planes for the best of the best. It was an honor for me to be apart of that and I really enjoyed waking up every morning and checking my emails. I was not there for only a matter of weeks and now I know when I get one its going to be a problem. The funny part is everyone sends me the emails they recieve from Marcelo blaming me for the poor quality. CA MODEL IS NOT MY BUSINESS IT NEVER WAS. I did all the emails, orders, etc. because I love F3A. It is unbelievable to me that someone will send a sub standard plane all the way to a customer and then blame another that hasn't been there in months.

7. CPLR left CA for the same reasons I have and that is very simple you never know what your gonna get or when your gonna get it. I had planes for the worlds because I finished them.

8. If there are any doubts about what you will recieve now days please contact Dan L., Wayne, and Dan U. as I am sure they can better answer any questions from rescent orders.

9. I really want to thank all of you guys that trusted in myself to buy airplanes over the past two years it means a lot. Also I want to wish CA the best in the future as I know they have all the knowledge to make a great plane.

Chip
Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM
pattratt

Thanks Chip for setting the record straight!
That being said there should be no doubt about the integrity of those involved in this thread.
Chip is more than square with me, it now me that's in debt to him. Any money I would receive from Marcelo will go directly to Chip.
BTW Chip, put me down for one of what ever it is you come up with!
It's now all in the open and everyone has the basic information to make there own decisions and that in itself is enough for me!
Dick
Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Please see above I read this deal to fast and thought it was Alejandro from Venezuela. It is actually Tuny. I am so sorry I was confused. Tuny your modeling is second to none and yet you continue to surprise me.

C
Old 11-03-2011, 04:03 AM
wayne260

Thanks Chip,
Straight from the horses mouth, nothing more to say except I will be keeping an eye on what is coming out of your hanger in the near future. By the way despite the wing problems I have, the paint job is awesome and that once again is thanks to your skills.
Wayne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.