Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

EPO GRIP epoxy very useful

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

EPO GRIP epoxy very useful

Old 10-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EPO GRIP epoxy very useful

I attended the just completed 2011 Frank Tiano Monster Planes in Lakeland, Florida and one of the vendors, Newton Supply, was selling their product called Epo Grip epoxy. It is a two part epoxy that comes in two different jars and is about the consistancy of JB Weld. You mix the two parts and apply it and it stays right where you put it. One of the respected RCU reviewers, Mike Buzzeo (Minnflyer), uses it on many of the planes he builds for reviews. The fact that is stays where you apply it and does not run opens a whole host of opportunities to cut down on time or difficulty in assembling our RC planes. Let me be up front, I am no longer a kit builder, never built anything from scratch, and believe that ARF's make if possible for the not very artistic to fly some pretty nice planes so my uses of Epo Grip have been in assembling ARF's. Specifically I am using it to assemble my third GP RV-4 ARF. I really look for tools and instruments that make assembly either easier, quicker or more enjoyable and I have to tell you that because this epoxy stays where you put it and does not run, it is the cats meow. I need to finish this RV-4 so I can start on my new GP Waco, which I can do just after flight testing my GP Giant Super Sportster after I repowered from gas to an OS 160FX. I had problems on the last flight and found the glow plug loose, and four of the head bolts loose. I also restricted the opening of one of the two Pitts muffler outtlet tubes. Anyway, this is suppose to be me telling you about Epo Grip because I think it is worth letting other modelers know about it. If you need a link look for Mike's review of the TopFlite P-51. If anyone thinks that maybe I am somehow compensated for this, I wish, just telling other about something slick that I found that makes the hobby even more fun than it is.

Howard
Old 10-23-2011, 05:00 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: EPO GRIP epoxy very useful

Thanks Howard, your check's in the mail

But seriously, I'm glad to hear that you like Epo Grip. The owners of the company gave a few of us reviewers a sample of it to try out and, while I don't use it for every epoxy application, I have found it to be the perfect thing for many applications. I especially like it for wing joiners and pin-type hinges. My shop won't be without it now!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:51 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about strength? I take it if you are using it for wing joiners its pretty strong. Equal to 30 min. epoxy?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:04 AM
MinnFlyer

Probably a lot stronger than 30-min.

That's its only downfall, the quick-set sets up too quickly (Like about 4 minutes working time) and the #30 paste (which I use the most) takes hours to fully set up
Old 10-24-2011, 12:52 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

If you break something that is glued with this stuff the material around the joint will fail long before the joint.

I've fixed stripped threads in aluminum with the stuff. Coat the bolt with WD40, screw it into a glob of Epo-Grip and let it dry. It was meant at a temp fix but it worked for months until the plane was destroyed, (the threads were still intact! )

I dont know about respected but this reviewer got some to try and love it.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Pilotsmoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use an epoxy called PC Super Epoxy. It doesn't run all over and its pretty good stuff. Good for putting ARF's together.
http://www.pcepoxy.com/our-products/...uper-epoxy.php
Old 11-03-2011, 01:26 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on this product.

Now, I have a question. But first let me say that I do apologize if this is not the proper way to ask, but I believe this is relevant. Anyway, I'm working on a glassed bodied plane that will require a bit of modification (moving firewall, adding reinforcements, etc.). I was about to pull the plug on hysol until I saw your post.

Which product would you recommend out of the 2??
Old 11-03-2011, 03:48 PM
MinnFlyer

I've never used the Super Paste but if you check out the pictures where I am installing the wing joiner in the review below, you will get a good idea of what Epo-Grip is like

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1134