Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

new plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

new plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 PM
elanharper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new plane

hello, i have gotten tired of my hobbyzone super cub its unreliable and not very challanging anymore... i was thinking a more large, straight across wing plane that has alerion control.. the way the motor is set up it is un reliable the plastic part has cracked many times over and i am tired of its random failing i have 2 other planes neither of which is flyable and i dont think im ready to fly them i was going to see if i can go to my local hobby shop on monday and get a new plane via trade in and cash difference... anything in paticular you guys suggest i look for??? suggestions and most of all reliableness is important thanks!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 PM
radius1x1

Default RE: new plane

You won't go wrong with a Horizon Hobby T-28. My 2nd plane and still lov'n it!
Old 10-29-2011, 01:24 AM
jetmech05

If you want to go glow try a 4 star 60 or a tiger 2, pulse xt....if you want electric go with the T-28
Your LHS does trade ins? How in the world does that work
Old 10-29-2011, 05:07 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: elanharper

hello, i have gotten tired of my hobbyzone super cub its unreliable and not very challanging anymore... i was thinking a more large, straight across wing plane that has alerion control.. the way the motor is set up it is un reliable the plastic part has cracked many times over and i am tired of its random failing i have 2 other planes neither of which is flyable and i dont think im ready to fly them i was going to see if i can go to my local hobby shop on monday and get a new plane via trade in and cash difference... anything in paticular you guys suggest i look for??? suggestions and most of all reliableness is important thanks!!!
So, let me get this straight. Your local hobby shop is going to take in your beat-up Super Cub that has an unreliable motor and cracked parts in trade for something new? [X(]

Where did you say your hobby shop is? Acme Used RC Aircraft.. For Sale: one slightly bruised Super Cub... Hmmm...

Of course, I am just teasing you here. Jetmech is right. A Tiger 60 or Four Star 60 will be challenging as well as something that someone fairly new can handle.

CGr
Old 10-29-2011, 09:19 AM
pdm52956

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me see if I have this right..........

the cub is unreliable and not very challanging. The motor is set up in a way that makes it unrelable. How?

The "plastic part" has cracked many times over and you're tired of it's random falling! Wondering here if you might just be tired of your random planting it in the ground.

You have 2 other planes which are not in flyable condition and you don't think your ready to fly them?! This just escapes me.

On top of that, your hobby shop will take trade ins!

As far as something you might look for........I'd recommend someone to help you learn to fly.

As for reliablity, look for someone that might help you learn to fly.

Now I'm not saying you should stick with the cub. My first plane was a parkzone cub and I can relate to what you're saying. I was ready to quit trying until I figured out that someone to help me was what I needed more than a new plane. I just wouldn't recommend going out and finding something more complex without the benefit of someone to help you.

Sorry for being a little harsh. Just what I get out of reading what you posted.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:16 PM
levram1

+1 pdm
Old 10-29-2011, 06:12 PM
elanharper

it would be a trade in and cash difference... meaning that for what the plane is worth in $ plus cash to cover for a new one... and i dont face plant it into the ground or anything i think it may have been weak when i bought it dunno why but its the part that holds the electric motor connecting it with gears on the back of it then to an axle that runs out in front of the motor to the prop and it cracks right next to the motor... and on the tail the foam is thin and bends eaisly...i have had to repear it once... though my cub is not that beat up everything functions and theres hardly any cosmetic damage except for a small crack in the cowling which ive stopped the spreading of and a little tape on the tail to repair the styrofoam where it tore but other than that i have taken good care of it and i will definately talk to the owner of the hobby shop to see what planes he has, my other two planes are kinda projects just got them at a steal and am planning to fly them when i get a little better at flying one has a cox 0.49 engine on it and is missing just a 3 control horns and 2 push rods, since it is small i doubt i could keep up with it... the other is a stunt plane which is a low wing and i doubt im ready for that its not fully assembled... anyway thanks for the comments they will help me in the choice for a new plane!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 PM
elanharper

and we are also located in the middle of no where the hobby shop is 20 miles away and the owner does not have the time to help me... so im kinda on my own...
Old 10-29-2011, 07:22 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

and we are also located in the middle of no where the hobby shop is 20 miles away and the owner does not have the time to help me... so im kinda on my own...
You needn't be on your own. The AMA club locator lists three clubs within 50 miles of Alton, MO. It might be worth a little extra driving to get some help.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:38 AM
levram1

None of those 3 clubs are in Missouri!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:21 AM
elanharper

i will have to give them a look only problem is is that my mom sees this hobby as pointless and she hates driving to the local shop or buying me something... but next year i will be 16 where i can get license and a job where i can go and find an instructor
Old 10-30-2011, 12:52 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you're breaking the motor mount then you're landing too hard. You may not be face planting the plane, but that plastic mount isn't going to go to pieces unless some significant shock is applied to it.

As for your mom situation, here's a thought. She sees planes as a waste of time. You know what? She's basically right. You can't make a living with them (at least not many can), they don't give you job skills or people skills, and they cost money. Every one of us in the hobby just does it because we like it with the understanding that it takes the space of something we could probably do that's more productive. That said, you enjoy it, much like many kids do with video games or facebook time. So offer her a deal. You want time and money to pursue RC airplanes. Perhaps she wants the lawn mowed for free? Maybe she wants the dishes always washed or the laundry done? Maybe she'd like to see straight "A's" on your report cards? Offer to take on an extra chore at home in exchange for transportation and an allowance for your hobby. And, if you aren't already on the honor roll, tell her you'll work at it if you can get the plane you want for Christmas. That might mean you have to turn off the TV or the computer before you want to every night, but guess what? Us grown folks have to do that too in order to indulge in this hobby.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:47 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: levram1

None of those 3 clubs are in Missouri!
Is there a law against crossing state lines to fly R/C airplanes?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:38 PM
elanharper

yes i could see what i could do for money and or transportation but we are kinda low on money at the moment so i may cut firewood and sell it once my truck is fixed which shes paying for my truck to be fixed only because she wants to use it for hauling wood but its still getting fixed... but yeah i will definitely talk to her about it and see what i can come up with... at my hobby shop most planes are not expensive as the bunches he sells are used i will have to see what i can do... but yeah its probably the landings is what is screwing it up... but yet i do want something better fit to handle landings on rougher ground... i will talk to my mom about it and maybe i can work for my hobby shop over the summer or cut them firewood for in store credits... i don't much watch TV its usually looking at pics of model planes on the computer but also i have 3 sisters so turning the TV off early isn't a option but we all go to bed at the same time anyway thanks for the suggestions!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 02:25 AM
karenheli

Try on this reliable store www.wfly-usa.com. May this give you much help on that.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:39 PM
elanharper

thanks very much!!!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Sourkraut

Come on guys... we have a young lad here that likes model RC planes....he could be doing a lot worse things.

We are an RC Community that wants to promote, get and keep youngsters in this fine hobby addiction, are we not??

Is there no one close to this young fellow that has a used trainer airframe/engine that they no longer use that could donate it to him to get him going?

I think I have 4 extra standard servos (almost new) that I could donate to the cause if required. Possibly 72mhz RX if I knew what he is using.

What are you running for Radio gear?? TX/RX?? Are you looking for electric or glow powered planes?

What do you all say... can we help this guy out or not???
Old 11-05-2011, 05:46 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Sourkraut, you are correct. We all talk about helping youth get into the hobby. That being said, I have a bunch of 72mHz receivers if that helps. Surely someone close by on this board could help him out.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:41 AM
jimgee1
My Feedback: (3)

ElanHarper,

Go to spadtothebone.com and study.. You'll find many easy to make and fly planes there and learn a lot about model aviation for free. See also spadworld.net, the most helpful people use that site... rcuniverse.com and rcgroups.com also have excellent spad forums. Take it slowly... You'll get there..

Jim Gallagher
Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Johnnysplits

i will have to give them a look only problem is is that my mom sees this hobby as pointless and she hates driving to the local shop or buying me something... but next year i will be 16 where i can getlicenseand a job where i can go and find an instructor
Have your mom call me...i'll straighten her out!!! Unfortunately, your at her mercy until you have a job. I know how you feel...i've been there. Back then, all I could do was wait for my birthday and Christmas to roll around. Then everything changed at 16. Got a driver's licence, then a job, and that's when my rc addiction went ballistic!! Now at 43, the addiction is still going strong. But one word of advice...if you can, KEEPEVERYTHINGthat you buy. I had sooooo many planes, boats, cars, trucks over the years that are not with me anymore from either selling, or just getting rid of when something new came along, or even a hot girlfriend who didnt see the point and made you sell your stuff (evenmy '70 chevelle) Im very lucky that I have a wife that doesnt care how much I spend on this stuff. Keep your interest alive my friend !!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:48 PM
scooterinvegas

At 15 you should be making your OWN money. Get a work card and go find a job, or cut grass, handy man type stuff for elderly folks in your neighborhood, Ebay. What every it takes.

At 15, I was making $200 week after school/weekends. I bought my 1st truck and had plates/insurance before my 16th birthday.

Get R done.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 PM
carrellh

When you're ready, something like the mini ultra stick might be a good choice
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2250
It's a lightweight electric model that can handle a pretty good breeze.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:40 PM
SBOT

Sourkraut; you took the words out of my mouth; I was thinking the same thing. I have an Italian Super Tiger 40 only run on test stand, I could contribute to the cause. Elanharper, let us know exactly what you need, epoxy, ca glow igniter, type of radio you have. List everything you have so we can fill in the blanks. I,ve been in this hobby most of my life in one form or another; so I have alot of stuff I could contribute.
To the RCU community, we need someone close to this young man to mentor him. Please someone in his area come forward and help us get this Lad on the right path; and Elan don't try and take advantage of these peoples generosity. I saw this same sitution develope once before and the young man started bringing his friends on to see if anyone would help them. You seem like a likeable intelegent young man; when some posters where giving you a hard time you didn't get excited or angry; but instead answered them politely. That impressed me. Pm me if I can help you with anything.

Good Luck,
Oscar
Old 11-08-2011, 08:29 PM
SBOT

Well some pretty young thing must have given poor Elan the butterfly eye. That's the last we'll see of him until he's 30 or so. Maybe it's better that way; he'll save alot of money, then again maybe not. Girls are exspensive too.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:27 PM
lopflyers

I am available to help w equipment too.
Unfortunately too far to give anything else, but I know of people driving brown trucks that Im sure pass by Alton, MO