Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:19 PM
ES CONTROL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Please , let me know how it turns out . This is something  I want to try on a 60 size.  ( With O S  A X   120 , after tax return )
Old 10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Mugen Mbx5

Anyone fly a .46 UCD with a Saito 115? I just picked up a .46 UCD and am trying to decide on an engine. I was looking at a Saito 82 but I like a lot of pull out.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

I've never seen a post where someone used that big of an engine. Many used the Saito 100 and thought it was great. I loved mine with the Saito 82 and found it to be about perfect. Even with my high elevation. I think the 115 is the same bolt pattern as the 100 so it should fit in easy. But keep in mind the UCDs are not to be flown fast. You may get yourself in trouble if you don't use exceptional throttle control.
thanks
Barry
Old 10-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Mugen Mbx5

Thanks for the reply. I don't plan on flying fast with it at all, I just want it to rocket out of a hover very well. Any tips on landing gear? I fly on a field that the grass is a bit long and its kinda rough. There doesnt seem to be any way to beef it up from above it because og the lack of access.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Fred Dings II
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gear I use, and I have the same problem, is the
dubro Cat. No. 789 gear.

I attach it with 1/4-20 nylon bolts and 1/4-20 T-nuts.

I fly from a rough field and have seen too many gear blocks ripped out of the fuse of the 46 size and the 60 size. With this method, just the nylon screws get sheared off, with no damage to the fuse.
Further back in this thread, I have some pictures of the gear. Also, I do not use the wheel pants.

Have fun, you will love this plane. It is what I fly most, and I have 16 other models.

I am an ex pattern flyer and I fly a lot of full throttle with my O.S. 91 4C, but I also cover the hinge lines. No flutter yet, but Barry gave you some good advice.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:24 PM
pat.curtin

Ok, I just went through most of the 250 pages of posts for this plane. The reason is: I am looking for a new plane. I finally did a brain fade on my funtana 50. I loved that plane but time to move on. I am curious if anyone has flown both the Funtana 40/50 and the U CAN Do 3D 46?? How do they compare ?? I have a couple of magnum 91 fs and that sounds like a good engine for the U can do. I was flying with a Saito 100 in the Funtana, but will save that motor for another project. I also have a Saito 80 that I could use in the Ucan do. Any comments of the Saito 80 versus the Magnum 91 FS for this plane ? thanks
Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: pat.curtin

Ok, I just went through most of the 250 pages of posts for this plane. The reason is: I am looking for a new plane. I finally did a brain fade on my funtana 50. I loved that plane but time to move on. I am curious if anyone has flown both the Funtana 40/50 and the U CAN Do 3D 46?? How do they compare ?? I have a couple of magnum 91 fs and that sounds like a good engine for the U can do. I was flying with a Saito 100 in the Funtana, but will save that motor for another project. I also have a Saito 80 that I could use in the Ucan do. Any comments of the Saito 80 versus the Magnum 91 FS for this plane ? thanks
Hey Pat, I've flown both the Funtana and the 46 Do. Didn't like the Funtana, love the U Can Do. They really are totally different planes and I've owned 4 U Can Do's and an only 1 Funtana's if that tells you anything.
I don't know about the Magnum 91 in the Do since I've always used a Saito 82 and like the 4 strokes in them better than 2 strokes but a 91 Magnum sounds like it would pull it along just fine.
The Saito 82's really are the perfect combo though. You mentioned Saito 80. Do you have an older 80 instead of the newer 82?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:27 AM
pat.curtin

I appreciate the information. I really loved my Funtana. It did need some modifications that I found on the RCU website. I actually have three saito 80 (older).. One Saito 82 and a bunch of the Magnum 91 (four stroke). The Older Satio 80 are built a bit differently then the newer 82. I get a few 100 rpm better but not enought different to speak of. One Saito 80 is 15 years+ and has dozens of gallans thru it (I kid not).

The Saito 82 is a bit lighter but again close to a wash.

The Magnum 91 are really nice motors and a great value. Some Magnums have bad o-rings on the low speed need adjustment. That causes surging. I have pick of several Magnum 91 that were not even broke in for less then $100. The Magnum 91 turns the same props as the Saito 82 about 500 rpm but the Magnum is 3 to 4 oz heavier.

Not too many guys at my club fly 3D stuff. I am in a retirement community so that is probably the reason. Two guys do have the U CAN DO. One has the 60 size and is way under powered. There for it flys like a dog. The other guy has a Magnum 70 FS. He really likes it but I can not tell at all how it handles because he flys it like a trainer. I was shocked at how thick the wing is.

Every thing I read on the U can do 3D is positive, especially the 40 size.

Is there any "tips" that you would recommend with settng up the Airplane?

Thank you for all information.

Pat
Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 AM
rclement

Pat, sounds like you've got some good engines to set up a 46 Do. I've seen several guys with U Can Do's that were set up with too small of engines and they don't have enough power to have fun with them.
As far as tips with the 46...... Make sure you pin the landing gear block. They are notorious for coming out and because of the design of the fuse it's hard to get any more glue in there. What I have done is to turn the fuse upside down and drill a couple of holes at an angle and put some pins in the holes. What you want to do is to drill and pin it so that you are pinning the block that the gear attaches to, to the plywood wall that's there. Otherwise the block will pop out fairly easily on even a decent landing.
Also, don't use the wheel pants until you're certain the landing gear isn't going to pop off otherwise the wheel pants will poke through the wings. You can even replace the landing gear bolts/screws with 1/4-20 nylon bolts. That way if the gear does break off it won't rip the bottom of the fuse out.
Also the tail CA hinges seems to break from vibration so it's a good idea to use pinned hinges or something other than CA back there.
I can't remember what else to do with them at this point, I'll have to think about it and get back with you.
I've had 3 or 4 of the 46 Do's and 1 - 60 Do and 2 Hangar 9 Frenzy's. I didn't care for the 60 Do all that much. I like the 46 Do and the Frenzy the best.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 AM
pat.curtin

I do have to ask. You say you have 3 or 4 U can Do, how many can you fly at a time LOL. Obviously you really like the plane. I have even bought back up planes, but never 2 or 3 extra. However, it is my guess you are pushing the U can do to the edge enough that once in a while there is a Ooops.

I am not much into electrics but one of the few guys at our field that really pushes the envelop showed up with a E-filte Eratix 3D 25e with a 32 size electric engine. WoW, that bird flew like it was much bigger and performance unbelievable.

What do you see guys flying down there are are doing 3D. I really like to keep in the 80-91 size four stroke but have a few in the saito 125 size. Do you see any one flying the Seagull Yak 54 ?? Anmy other planes that catch your eye ??

thank you very much

Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 AM
rclement

hey Pat, I had to update the post. I've had 3 or 4 of the 46 Do's. I'm not currently flying one. I have 1 in the box still but I'm not sure when I will get around to building it.
I think I crashed 2 of the Do's and one I sold. Yeah, I tended to push them to the limits and flew them hard. They're not a serious 3D plane just a heck of a lot of fun to fly. One of the odd things about the U Can Do's, especially the 46 is that the manufacturer recommended fairly small engines for them because if you put a bigger engine in them and then fly them too fast they will rip apart in the air. I've seen it happen at our field.

I have an Eratix too and highly recommend them. Lots of fun to fly and you can do a lot of 3D flying with them.

Most of the guys at our field aren't into serious 3D, just 3D or fun fly type planes that they can practice 3D skills with.
A few of the guys have 3D Hobby Shop planes but they are spendy.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:41 PM
MartyH
My Feedback: (16)

I managed to run a drill through the corner of the fuel tank while I was drilling to run the throttle wire. It turns out that the Avistar 46 ARF Trainer tank that Omnimodels lists is the same 270ml tank. It even comes assembled as a 3 line system ready to be installed. part # GPMA4288

Old 03-16-2022, 10:20 AM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just wanted to say hi to all my old friends from the beginning of this thread, Barry, Ron, and all the rest. just stopped by to say hi. still flying mine in NEVADA.
The following users liked this post:
Fred Dings II (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 10:23 AM
Kaos

I still have my U-Can-Do 3D. I converted it to electric a few years ago, which worked out real well. Haven't flown it in a while, though.
The following users liked this post:
Fred Dings II (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 02:26 PM
Fred Dings II
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by gjeffers
just wanted to say hi to all my old friends from the beginning of this thread, Barry, Ron, and all the rest. just stopped by to say hi. still flying mine in NEVADA.
Hi, Fred Dings here.
I just found out yesterday that Barry has passed, In 2015 if i remember correctly. I just donated my remaining three U-can-do 46 planes which I flew on pontoons also. I used Goldberg Super Floats . Then Mt. Joy club went all electric to keep our field. These were the most fun planes to fly in my long career. I flew AMA pattern with a Super Kaos and quit when I got Novice first place because I wasn't having any fun practicing.
I had a few on-line conversations with Barry and yesterday I tried to find him online to 'sort of' apologize for 'sort of' doubting his post regarding inverted, rising, flat spins back in 2011. Once in awhile I would try it with no success. I finally did it with a Visionaire. Once. Now some guys in my club are trying to do it.
If you want to see the plane on floats, go to you tube and search for Fred Dings II. Not a great video as I had a camcorder on a hard hat to take videos.

Last edited by Fred Dings II; 03-16-2022 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added video info