Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever glue a muffler back together?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Anyone ever glue a muffler back together?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:46 PM
acejinx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever glue a muffler back together?

Seems easy, my buddy broke one of the two exit pipes off of his pitts-style muffler. I lent him my jb weld and the next day we were flying again. Then IT BROKE AGAIN! I stood there in shock holding those pieces. My world was crumbling. If JB weld can break, what other core belief's have I held that could fail me?

Must have been a fluke. We redid the thing and flew a couple of days later. Guess what, yup, broke again. I'm totally not lying! The only thing I could think of was maybe the aluminum expands more than the JB which stress JB enough weaken the joint. I told my buddy to buy a new muffler, $90, and move on.

Well, guess what happened next. You guessed it MINE broke. A violent catastropic failure of my favorite nose cone ripped out my firewall and inexplicably snapped my muffler right were one of the mounting screws threads into it. I havent tried the JB weld. Sort of feels like going back to a girlfriend that cheated on me.

So I don't want to buy a new muffler. I might have thought it was a good idea for my friend, but shoot, I've got better things to do with MY money! Which brings up the question, does anyone have a good way to fix these? Thanks for your ideas.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:20 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Anyone ever glue a muffler back together?

It must be the location of the break that the JB weld didnt hold. I have a repaired cannister muffler ( $300 set ) going on 3yrs now on my 100cc motor & its still holding. The package says good to 600 degrees i believe. I did clean the muffler real well & also built up the area very well with the JB weld. Probably fall off now that im talking about it!! Gene
Old 11-06-2011, 06:54 AM
D.L.R.

Gene, I ran across this website by accident and have NO idea how good the stuff may (or may NOT) be, but might be worth a look. Since I am not what you might call computer literate you may have to type in the address. www.durafix.com
Good luck, Dan
Old 11-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a combination of things like expansion and vibration. I use JB for a lot of things but found out early it isn't that good for things like mufflers. I have seen it work but I see it fail a lot more. There are a couple of things you can do to fix the pipes but the very best thing is a trip to your local welding shop. I have had mine repaired for $10.00 more then once.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Dan, I checked out the site.....might work.....Gene
Old 11-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Flyin Beagle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had good success using this stuff to make repairs to Aluminum parts. The key to making any repairs is to get the metal very very clean. A slimy glow muffler is one of the hardest items I have repaired because it was so oily. I believe this is the same stuff as the durafix above. If you have a harbor freight nearby you can pick it up without shipping costs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...ods-44810.html
Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM
CRAPTECH

flying beagle,
How do you use those rods, with propane torch ? please give us a little information, i have seen them but way skeptical about them working... thanks for the info terry
Old 11-07-2011, 05:40 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used the Dura brand rods. They work great. I had a boss snap off one of the cylinder hears on my truck. I used a MAPP gas torch and put it back together. If I was to compare it to something else, I would say it is just like Brazing. DO NOT use anything other then a stainless steel brushes. Clean it real good with a chemical cleaner like Berrymans B12 or brake cleaner. Scrub it really good with the stainless steel brush. If you use a brass, aluminum or plain ole steel, it does funky stuff. Found that out the hard way. Then I read the directions.

If the material to be fixed is thin, you can use the standard propane torch. I had to do some that was almost an inch thick. So I stepped up to a small oxy, acetylene torch. Worked like melted butter. For the most part this stuff is stronger and harder then what I have repaired. It does work very well.

Buzz.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Flyin Beagle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like blvdbuzzard said, You can use a propane torch on small pieces, but with larger pieces of metal you have to step up to a torch with a lot more energy. The larger the piece the more it takes to heat it up and keep it there.

As I said above cleanliness is the key.

Here are a couple of websites that give instructions on the product. From what I understand there are several brand names of these products, but I believe they are all the same.

http://www.alumiweld.com/h2uaw.html

http://www.durafix.com/
The following users liked this post:
pancake (01-31-2020)
Old 11-11-2011, 08:01 PM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Harbor Freight sells aluminum welding rods that work great on mufflers with a Mapp/Oxygen torch. My JB Weld muffler repair didn't work either, and the aluminum welding rods did.

Rick