Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Gyro in Airplane ??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gyro in Airplane ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:18 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Gyro in Airplane ??

Yup, thats what I used when playing with them.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 PM
tigermeet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a site with all the info needed for setting up and installing a gyro in an aircraft . http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/indexnew.html

I put a gyro on the rudder in my ESM Skyraider I can fly the rudder with no problem but this aircraft was a handful on take off (ground looping) Now it's straight down the centerline on takeoff, as soon as it's airborne the gyro get shut off.

If everyone had the "gyros don't belong in aircraft, you need to learn to fly it" mentality. we'd still be living in the stone age.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:21 PM
jorgeneo560

i was desinged a vtol aircraft with propeller not edf, like the f112 of ********, i wanna put the motor like an fpv movible mount, in the cg line with a litte plumb in the base of the motor, i think that it could be the trick, i had a fma copilot infrared stabilizator sistem, but its too slow and it's not very reliable on winter or raining season
Old 11-09-2011, 08:25 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Pete. Maybe stop and think,some people like differnt things.. Im really thinking of the gyro idea in my warbirds. I have lots of flying time under my belt..I have not flown for awhile but I wolnt lost it. like riding a bike . I love to play around with things. I like to invent stuff also. Try one out, You can always take it out.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: warbird72

Wow Pete. Maybe stop and think,some people like differnt things.. Im really thinking of the gyro idea in my warbirds. I have lots of flying time under my belt..I have not flown for awhile but I wolnt lost it. like riding a bike . I love to play around with things. I like to invent stuff also. Try one out, You can always take it out.

My flying skills don't require any aid. I'm in full control of my aircraft at all times, except if something mechanical goes wrong, or if I do something stupid. If I can't handle a plane without electronic help like a gyro, I won't fly it because it shows that my flying skills are not up to par to handle the aircraft.

Like someone said before, they don't allow use of gyros in any AMA competitions- there's a reason for that. So learn to use the rudder, on the ground and in the air, it will make you a better pilot.

Pete

Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: Oberst
My flying skills don't require any aid. I'm in full control of my aircraft at all times, except if something mechanical goes wrong, or if I do something stupid. If I can't handle a plane without electronic help like a gyro, I won't fly it because it shows that my flying skills are not up to par to handle the aircraft.

Like someone said before, they don't allow use of gyros in any AMA competitions- there's a reason for that. So learn to use the rudder, on the ground and in the air, it will make you a better pilot.

Pete
Well the vast majority of us don't compete, so if it makes it more pleasureable to sport fly, then by all means, enjoy.

Oberst, please don't insinuate that someone that chooses to use or try a gyro is incapable of safely or competently flying thier model.

Gyros ARE legal, and in widespread use at Top Gun fwiw
Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete
Do you use electronic help like dual rates and/or expo when you fly?

I bet you do not use a new fangled 2.4 ghz system and believe that they will soon go away! LOL

Bruce
Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Like someone said before, they don't allow use of gyros in any AMA competitions- there's a reason for that.

This is utterly incorrect, simply not so and there are many venues that do allow this as a matter of fact they have been used for years in AMA sanctioned warbird races. I am a pylon CD (ama contest director) and have CD'ed quite a few events where rudder gyros are in common use and an extremely useful safety tool.

John
Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Gyros are allowed and used in AMA scale competition. I said IMAC, not AMA bans their use. You might be surprised at some of the people who use gyros. It's just another tool, avaiable to use if you want it. I don't see any difference in a gyro versus expo, dual rates, multiple conditions, etc. They are all tools.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:26 PM
tigermeet

ORIGINAL: warbird72

Pete

So you must not use a computer radio either, after all it's
'electronic help"
Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 AM
jorgeneo560

i think some people are mistaken,

The people that say that gyros are not alowed in imac and belong to helicopters and thinkings like that.

Gyro like somebody says, its a tool nothing more, if i wanna make 3d and fly in imac competitions, the gyro its only a flying mentor, that late or earleir you need to leave it, its great for those that wanna make 3d for first time, but for an experiencie people its unusefull, like aux wheels to a bicicle, when you learn to ride, you dont need it anymore.
But you had to admit that some aircraft need gyros, like a quadcopter, flying wing, vtols aircraft and some high speed jets (not all models).

The people that thinks that becouse its easy with gyro, always fly with gyro.

This is bad, becouse you will never learn to fly well, the worst thing its fear, if you had fear, even the best gyro will save you, you can fly like chip hyde, but if you had fear probably you can crash a trainer .60 without wind.
Gyros in this case its had to be used like a mentor, but some day you will need to learn whow to fly without gyro, and yes i used digital radio expo dual rate and that things, the confidence and experience that you earn flying without
any aid, will make you a master.
I flyed my first trainer with the fma copilot, and day by day, cutting the aid a litte, and come a day that i fly alone, and never again flying with aid, even in windy days i can fly foamys and do verticals landings that people admires a lot, and that experiencie its not hard to get or even dificult, you had to clear your mind, and erase all fear, when you do that you will see that gyros are flyings mentors only, and its only needed for special aircraft only.

I am agreed to use gyros on airplanes, but you had to realize that gyros are only flying mentors, and its a great mentor, but flying a p-51 or a extra 300,edge 540, spitfire, low wing sport plane with gyro, its like a ride a big harly davison with side wheels, its not good if you know to fly.