Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Flight Simulator

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flight Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:32 PM
skyblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight Simulator

Im an experienced pilot.I am looking for a low cost flight sim. I can reconmend to newbees. I would be looking for bare bones sim.Don't need fancy graphics .
Old 11-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Phoenixangel

Default RE: Flight Simulator

www.rcflightsim.com is a cheap but good one. Lots of support from its community. www.rcdeskpilot.com is free and also quite good.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

How do you control rcdeskpilot from keyboard or from TX for that matter?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 PM
ES CONTROL

Go for it ! Skyblue , you will not be sorry.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:00 AM
Phoenixangel

Not sure about kb, but if you have a tx plugged in it reads it as a game controller and u set it up in the sim menu called controls. Its pretty user friendly.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:22 PM
RightFly

I have both the RealFlight 5.5 and Clearview sims. As a newbee I found more trainer type planes to use with the Clearview sim but the RF5.5 sim makes it very easy to modify wind conditions such as direction, strength and turbulense. So each has their strengths and weakness.

Clearview goes for abot $40 for the license and about $20 for a Tx or cable to use your own Tx. RF 5.5 or the new version 6 will set you back a $200.

Clearview url: http://www.rcflightsim.com/ (also given by previous poster phoenixangel)

RealFlight url: http://www.realflight.com/index.html

There is another free sim, FMS, that a lot of people like. I don't have a url but maybe someone else couls post one.

Good luck
Old 11-11-2011, 02:56 PM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

FMS sucks!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:18 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started on Phoenix - IMO it was one of the best investments I put into this hobby, got my thumb memory sorted, helps with orientation, you can muck around with the wind and give yourself a great lesson on reacting to what your plane is doing just based on visual. Overall the physics were great, and there is a great list of (freely) upgradable planes and system upgrades, so unlike the majority of the rest, you don;t pay for any upgrades once you brought the software.
The only issues I found, spacial sense, in a 2D world, there is not a lot other than scale and noise, which makes it hard for landing as you never know which way your pointing if your looking up (I don't use the view option where land is always visible, actually makes it harder).
If possible, run it through a good sized HD tv, makes the experience that much better!

In a nut shell, this thing has saved me for $000's in broken heli's alone, so it owes me NOTHING currently!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:20 PM
skyblue

Thank you all for your input.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:24 PM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

will i be able to use a spektrum DX 5E with Realflight 3.5 software?  If so, what do I need to connect to the PC?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:47 AM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

I bought my Realflight G3.5 on ebay with the interface transmitter for 50 bucks plus shipping.

its awesome and is worth much much more when considering the planes you can save by learning to fly such a realistic simulator.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: mach2

I bought my Realflight G3.5 on ebay with the interface transmitter for 50 bucks plus shipping.

its awesome and is worth much much more when considering the planes you can save by learning to fly such a realistic simulator.

You got a great deal considering that now you can upgrade to G6 very cheaply!

Yes you qualify for the upgrade! Check out Tower's site.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I own Real Flight G5.5, and I find myself flying ClearView more frequently. I like the quality of graphics and variety of aircraft available in Real Flight, but ClearView seems to do things like helicopter physics, slow flight modeling, and indoor flight modeling better than Real Flight G5.5.

You can download a demo version of ClearView from http://www.rcflightsim.com to check it out. It costs $39.99 to register it and upgrade your demo to the full version. If you combine ClearView with the $19.99 ESky EK-0905A USB controller, and you've got a great flight sim and controller for $59.98 or so.

Tower Hobbies has some great pricing on various incarnations of Ikarus' EasyFly 3 flight simulator. You can currently buy the complete EasyFly 3 flight simulator with USB Game Commander for $49.99, but quantities are limited and they will likely sell out soon.

One of my flying buddies just bought Real Flight G6 a couple of weeks ago, and then turned around and won a copy of EasyFly 3 as a raffle prize at our club's general meeting. He says he likes EasyFly 3 better.

If you can get EasyFly 3 for $49.99 with a controller, it is a fantastic value. If it sells out, and you buy ClearView and an ESky USB controller for $59.95, you'll also have a fantastic value. You could also buy EasyFly 3 and ClearView, then fly both with the USB Game Commander controller. You'd still have only spent $89.98, and then you could decide which one you like best.

Good luck and good shopping
Old 11-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Have tried most all of them, each has strengths and weak points. Phoeinx has been far and away the best for me. Thing I liked best was it focused on RC skills and not 'gaming'. I really dont care what my flying looks like from the cockpit or flying planes that I'll never have. Anyway, using it when starting out resulted in a HUGE improvement with items like landing, recovery from unusual attitudes, etc.. Nowadays I use it to practice and keep the thumbs current during seasons of limited flying.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Zooleephobos

Here is a very good one for just $117! http://88d7enpjp1os0pe205mawgoi2v.hop.clickbank.net/
Old 11-23-2011, 10:40 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Radical Departure

......... Phoeinx has been far and away the best for me. Thing I liked best was it focused on RC skills and not 'gaming'. I really dont care what my flying looks like from the cockpit or flying planes that I'll never have. Anyway, using it when starting out resulted in a HUGE improvement with items like landing, recovery from unusual attitudes, etc.. Nowadays I use it to practice and keep the thumbs current during seasons of limited flying.

+1 [sm=thumbs_up.gif] ...... I also like the FREE upgrades etc.