Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:27 PM
nitro-rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Its a great motor, Paba...now you need tires to handle it.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:46 AM
soulja55

well....just got an XS. didn't have batteries for it....so No Limit RC of VA had to do the opening duties for the monster jam yesterday. a good friend let me borrow a 8000mah 2s lipo for use for the run. first thing i did was put my futaba fasst 3pmx on it. well SUPER STRONG TRUCK. she was out there running with the big boys on the monster jam course (even though its kinda hard to drive with your kid sitting on your shoulders!!) but.....the xs is a nasty ride...i could keep up and was actually faster providing i had the traction. but then....she just stopped moving. i think the dreaded pinion screw came off to be honest or the slipper might have been loose.....but i was having to much fun to even care. shoot....whatever it is....its a cheap fix and i can stay the ten minutes it was running i had a blast. more updates on mine later. im going to try to post a video of the monster jam run too if i can.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:55 AM
JUSTPASSEDU
My Feedback: (20)

If anyone needs a mmp & 3800kv for there xs I just put mine fs here , I also have a brand new set of hpi blitz shocks I'm looking to get rid of.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:29 PM
TimC63

Johnbalz,

Here is a shot of my XS with HPIMesh truck wheels and HPIGeolander tires. Unfortunately they don't feel much grippier than the stock tires, but I shouldn't be surprised since they are the stock tire on the RS4 MT2.
These will not give you additional width, and may be a hair narrower. Other than the Proline Road Rage, going wider seems to come with a taller tire and this truck doesn't need the final drive any taller!

TC

Edited to show pic, Ihope!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37575.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	1685751  
Old 11-12-2011, 07:11 PM
nitro-rob

I'm running dirt works on HPI scorch rims and am waiting for a set of rims yet to complete a set road rage tires on a 2.8 inch traxxas rims. The dirt works work very well on asphalt and for general use. They don't slip very much.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44750.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1685780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17182.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1685781  
Old 11-12-2011, 07:33 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have a set of the dirtworks for next season.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:25 PM
hereticgod
My Feedback: (9)

+1 for the dirtworks I also run them.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of dirt works ready to go once the stocks tires are shredded..
Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 PM
chvytruckboy
My Feedback: (5)

Hey everyone just wanted to let you all know i installed that castle fan on my truck last week and I finally got a chance to run it today the motor temps never got above 115 deg on a 2s 5000 mah 30 c venom hard pack i made sure to hammer the hell out of it to get the temps as high as possible and compared to before the fan the temps where 30 to 40 deg cooler then without the fan.  Hope this helps!  Seams totally worth the 6 bucks i spent on the fan.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:00 PM
nitro-rob

I am saving my stock tires for the summer and warmer asphalt.  Its been too cold for them to get any grip right now making it very frustrating to drive.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:39 PM
RCJuice

Thanks for the tire/wheel pics guys, I'm liking those dirt works.

On another note, I'm a little baffled by an issue I had with my XS today.

I was driving it around in a parking lot testing out some batteries today, and I started noticing a crunchy/grinding noise coming from the truck. I brought it in and I could tell that the rear tires weren't turning consistently, so I held the back of the truck and gave it some throttle. The rear tires didn't move, and then they started to move after a bit but would start and stop. All the while the rear drive shaft was turning fine.

I've had some issues wth the diffs in this truck so I figured that the diff went out again, but I got it home and took it all apart again and could find nothing wrong. The driveshaft, drive cup for the pinion gear, ring an pinion, both outdrives, carrier housing and all spider gears inside the carrier, dogbones, outdrives and drive pins/hexes and wheels are all perfect. I'm going to put it back together and check it again but I can't believe i didn't find anything wrong. I've looked it over a million times, but it would have to be something after the driveshaft since it was turning 100% of the time but I can't for the life of me find anything wrong.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing in the gearbox since there is one main shaft for the front and rear drives(unless it cracked on the rear section and it is binding up and driving the wheels intermittently but that's really a long shot).

Can anyone think of anything I am missing?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:04 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

John, your rear diff isn't shimmed properly.

Pull it apart, and move one shim that's on the diff cup side to the ring gear side.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 AM
RCJuice

TBJ - I had already done that. The first time I took my XS out, one of the rear carrier bearings fell apart, and when I reassembled everything I did just that. The next time I took it out the front ring gear lost several teeth on it, and when I put that one back together I did the same thing there. I don't understand why HPI didn't do this from the factory...

The teeth on both the pinion and ring gear still look excellent, is it possible that the teeth were jumping and that it wouldn't leave any marks? I would think it would look pretty gnarly if the teeth were jumping.

Weird.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:32 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Could it be the spider gears skipping over themselves?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:42 AM
RCJuice

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Could it be the spider gears skipping over themselves?

That was definitely a thought, but everything looks great. I really can't figure it out, I'm about to put it back together right now and see what it does but I just can't see it "fixing itself".
Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Shim the spider gears so they're a little tight; they'll break in and loosen up.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loose center outdrive (the one attached to the diff pinion)?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 AM
nitro-rob

Have you tried to stress it, hold parts and turn others etc.. to see if it can slip in your hands?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 PM
RCJuice

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I put it back together and put in one extra shim on the carrier on the ring gear side, and it seems OK for now.  I ran about half a pack in front of my house and beat on it pretty hard and for now it seems OK.  I also held the back bumper and gave it enough throttle to spin the tires and they are all spinning now without any noise.
I don't think I've seen the last of this problem yet but I guess for now it is all right.
Good idea on shimming the spider gears, I thing I have some shims small enough for that.
Anybody else have any diff issues with these yet?  Like I said, my first drive destroyed a carrier bearing which in turn ruined the carrier and the diff housing, and the second time it was several teeth off the fron pinion.  I run plenty of packs through it since then (diffs are now shimmed and filled with 50k fluid) and hadn't had an issue until this.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:08 PM
paba60
My Feedback: (96)

Oh Yea....Postman was nice to me today.

The 60T Spur from Hot Racing looks really nice... Never had HR stuff before.... Hopefully, it holds up.

[img][/img]
Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 PM
rokie1432

did you get the Hot Racing gear from Liquid RC?...are they more reliable these days?...
Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 PM
paba60
My Feedback: (96)

ORIGINAL: rokie1432

did you get the Hot Racing gear from Liquid RC?...are they more reliable these days?...
No, got it from hobby's etc...real quick shipping.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Gangster_Elmo

I finally got my Savage XS and even though the weather is terrible, I still was able to get this truck out and start bashing it. Unfortunately I have almost completely broken the right rear upright twice cartwheeling after a "not so good" landing. Tonight was the killer though, as I broke the left front axle after what seemed like a fairly routine landing off a small jump. Iam wondering if anyone else has broken this part and if so, how do you take the front upright apart to take out the broken part and replace it with a new one (assuming Ican find one that is)? I removed the steering knuckle and see that there are some pins in it, but how do Iremove the pins?

Thanks for any help you all can give. Ireally love this little truck it is super fun to drive.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 PM
hereticgod
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Gangster_Elmo

I finally got my Savage XS and even though the weather is terrible, I still was able to get this truck out and start bashing it. Unfortunately I have almost completely broken the right rear upright twice cartwheeling after a ''not so good'' landing. Tonight was the killer though, as I broke the left front axle after what seemed like a fairly routine landing off a small jump. I am wondering if anyone else has broken this part and if so, how do you take the front upright apart to take out the broken part and replace it with a new one (assuming I can find one that is)? I removed the steering knuckle and see that there are some pins in it, but how do I remove the pins?

Thanks for any help you all can give. I really love this little truck it is super fun to drive.
Check this link out might help you http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?...ic=48519&st=60
Old 11-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Gangster_Elmo

ORIGINAL: hereticgod
Check this link out might help you http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?...ic=48519&st=60
Thanks for the response, I have seen those videos and figured out how to remove the pins, once I cleared away some of the dirt, Ifound out that they push out from the middle quite easily. Now I just need to find someone that has new axles... I guess I will have a two wheel drive XS for a while.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.