Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Disappointed in RC Advancement Over Last 20 Years

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Disappointed in RC Advancement Over Last 20 Years

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Disappointed in RC Advancement Over Last 20 Years

ORIGINAL: astrohog

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

I hate the ''Remember When'' nostalgic thread currently running. Sure it is nice to remember how it was, but I have to question why the snail slow progress in the RC technology?

I bought my first 7 channel RC radio about 25 years ago... and there has not been that much progress or advancement since proportional radios were introduced.

In the same time span, I have gone through about 10 computers with remarkable advancement each time. Radios with programmable functions have not been around very long.

Telemetry is still in its infancy and few people are enjoying its benefits. Microsoft flight simulator arrived in in 1995. The RC simulators have not caught up yet with realism.

I expected a lot more from RC when I got back into the hobby.

WHY SUCH SLOW PROGRESS IN RC? I say remember now, it's not that great now.
ARE YOU KIDDING?

I have NEVER seen so many Americans WHINING as I do these days!

I propose this question to you, ''What have YOU done to advance R/C technology in the last 25 years?''

If your answer is NOTHING, do you really have a right to complain about the lack of advancements? I think not!

The R/C world has always been about our passion for what we love, and MOST of the innovations we see either come from an extraordinary person who spends copious amounts of his/her own time and dollars developing a new product FOR THE LOVE of it, NOT for any potential financial windfall that may come from it. Most grassroots R/C businesses are either money-losing ventures or barely support the innovator/owner. The non-grassroots advancements we see in this hobby are usually adaptations from technology that was developed FOR PROFIT by or for the military or other HUGE commercial venture, and it takes time to trickle down to the hobby level, only AFTER all the HUGE overhead and developmental dollars of said advancements have been recouped and commercial profits have been enjoyed by those that developed the product/technology.

let's all do our individual parts to turn this Country around to the great place it once was not by WHINING, but by DOING! If you don't like something the way it is, DON'T WHINE, find a way to affect positive change AND FIX IT! Don't wait for someone else to do it, it will NEVER get done that way!

Regards,

Astrohog
Astrohog nails it. People sit and complain about everything. Instead of complaining, take the stance of "what can I do to help...."

It seems a mass of people just want to sit and be taken care of, and complain about everything going on around them, yet do nothing to help. This time of year, volunteer to ring a bell for the Salvation Army, you'll feel better about yourself.

Jeff
Old 11-17-2011, 08:15 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first 7 channel RC radio about 25 years ago... and there has not been that much progress or advancement since proportional radios were introduced.
Look at the price of things... has the cost of radio equipment dropped like computers?
this hobby is not a huge segment of the buying public and it will most likely stay that way for the foreseeable future. R & D is slow to move along if there is not a big market for it
I think you have valid questions. All of the answers, including mine, are just personal opinions.

With the exception of a lost plane finder, what features do the radios lack that you think they should have? I know 'real time telemetry' is a popular topic right now but whether it is a needed set of features is a very personal opinion. There will never be a perfect RF link.

The RC hobby is tiny compared to computers, phones, video games, etc. AMA membership is less than 150,000. If the actual US hobby population is 10x AMA size that is only 1.5 million. We're unlikely to see pricing follow the trends of those markets.

Maybe this is part of the reason kids are not entering the hobby
I think, in general, kids like to do things with other kids. Many do not want to do things with dad and HIS friends.
If they can't drive they are dependent on a parent to haul them to and from a flying field.
At our club, pilots under 18 must have a parent or guardian with them.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Good idea... I donate 4 or more hours each week to the American Red Cross... what do you do?

Want to reload and take another cheap shot at me?

ORIGINAL: F4u5

Astrohog nails it. People sit and complain about everything. Instead of complaining, take the stance of ''what can I do to help....''

It seems a mass of people just want to sit and be taken care of, and complain about everything going on around them, yet do nothing to help. This time of year, volunteer to ring a bell for the Salvation Army, you'll feel better about yourself.

Jeff
Old 11-17-2011, 09:42 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: David Jackson

Everyone has an opinion, and it should be respected. Personally, I have been in this hobby for 25+years, and there have been times that I also wished for more in the area of the types of models available and the electronics. I must say that short of having the model fly itself, I have been quite happy with the advancement made in the passed 10 years. I now have access to petro-powered radial engines that can push my 60+ lb planes at a respectable speed. I also have access to turbine engine with greater than 40+ pounds of thrust, and a radio that gives me the flexibility to add more realistic functioning to my planes. Could there be more, probably. But given the time I might have left to enjoy the hobby, I will make do with what's available and continue my weekend trips to the local flying field. [8D]

Hey David, hows things going? You ever get that big Corsair in the air?

Jamie
Hello Jamie,

Finally got the Corsair airborne this year. Here is a link to the flight video. http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=NtfmL9s3aGQ
Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Termites Dream

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have suggested, the answer to "on your six"s original question is : Volume Production. If every single adult in the US flew RC, you would be able to buy an Aeroworks 50cc plane ready to fly for less than we pay for the airframe, and it would be stronger, lighter and more reliable. And probably 4 stroke fuel injected with full telemetry. I think the original poster poses a reasonable question, there has not been as rapid development of technology as in lots of other areas, like computers, cars etc. But for the volume of RC stuff produced, we are doing pretty well.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Software advances? Really? What software advances have you seen in 25 years? Ada today isn't a whole lot different than Ada 83. C is still C, C++ is still C++ and C#, J2EE and the other "OODs" are just hype on someone's wet dream of something "new". If anything software "engineering" has reverted back to the real old days of programming, not engineering.

The only real change in software is that a real time aircraft navigation system that used to take 8K bytes of memory now takes 2 GB. And what I did in 1000 lines of code now takes 250,000 lines. Yea, real advances.

BTW, remember when Windows 3.0 rand in 640K low memory with 384K of high memory? And it was stored on a 170KB floopy disk?

Lastly, if you wouldn't buy $25 radios from Hong Kong maybe your $2000 airplane would last longer.

Are you really happy when your radio suddenly looses the radio link to the plane and there goes $2,000 worth of gear?

It is 2011, we should be able to have solidly dependable radio links to the planes.

I have worked in another industry (software) and have seen all the advances...

You want a plane to beep at you when you loose it, "buy this". Everything is an addon extra. Have the engines really improved all that much? If other products were sold in such a piece-meal manner people would scream... you guys continue to settle for the same same.

Maybe this is part of the reason kids are not entering the hobby.

You don't have to get mad to discuss this... it is a point of view. I don't care if you disagree, that's fine. Calling me names does not change things... I am not trying to make anyone mad, just think about it.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:16 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

One more thing, we do have very solid radios. And we can fly RC half way around the world - the Air Force does it every day. All you have to do is pay for a Predator and the ground station.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

As far as a better radio link is concerned, try 432 MHz, 120 mile range...

Most of the serious FPV guys use this and then go fly over to another adjacent city while looking into their goggles.

Do a search on YouTube for "A guy flies FPV from his van, with the transmitter inside the van" watching a 40" or so Flat Screen while his plane is 10 or more miles away at the airplane field! Now that is a link..!!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Everyone has an opinion, and it should be respected. [8D]
Nice bromide dude, but it dosen't hold water. I can think of lot's of opions that deserve zero respect, unless the "it" your speaking of is ones right to have an opinion, but that's not the way you worded it.

I have been quite happy with the advancement made in the passed 10 years.
I've seen this premis put forward several times in this thread by various posters. All it means is you disagree with the origional post. The last 20 years INCLUDES the last 10.

rrragman

Old 11-17-2011, 12:25 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it were not for the Asians you would have nothing. Profit is the underlying reason for any advancement. Don't forget, we in the USA and our European counterparts started the RC movement. The Asians supplied us with products we could afford not our own industry. Go to a Home Depot if you want proof. I started in this hobby using KRAFT and use nothing but JR now. You tell me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

This has been a pretty interesting thread. I'm one of the old guys in the hobby, but not as old as some of the grumblers on here I'd bet. Some of you guys have no idea what a quantum leap "servo reversing" was! Kraft radios used to come with two servos that worked in one direction and two in the other. You set up your plane figuring which went where. There were only a couple of hobby shops in town, and no mail order except AHC and Polks in New York. When you needed a spinner for your plane you went to the hobby shop, bought the size he had, then came home and shaped the nose of your plane. There were no ARFs. You disappeared in the basement or garage for three months, then flew your plane, hoping not to stuff it because it meant starting over.

BUT, the original poster has a valid point. R/C hasn't kept up at the RATE of technological improvements of other electronic based hobbies and industries. I think Hobby King and the business model they present is going to change that however. Sad it has to come from off shore, but it's a world economy now, and a world wide hobby. Count me in. I love lipos, the foamies, the EDFs, the gadgets, and the ARFs especially. I can still build myself and do occasionally, but would rather be at the field. How about you?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Revolauncher

Brushless motor technology is advancing pretty fast in the RC world. It has slowed in other applications: tooling, appliances, and transportation industries. Radio control hobbies will never be the world leader in technology, too many other more important uses of technology in my opinion: medical, transportation, militrary fields where life and death matters are concerned. I see Electronic Fuel Injection as a potential improvement in glow engines to facilitate easier tuning and consistent performance, but the price and packaging of such systems will have a steep learning curve. On-board starters, telemetry, and flight data recorders are all pretty d a m n techy for toy planes and cars I would think.
I agree the hobby needs innovators, not imitators, and no more complainers! That is why we build in our basements or workshops, so we don't have to listen to everyone else's complaints.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:02 PM
on_your_six

Wow... don't even know how to respond to that diatribe. I started programming Fortran 77 on a IBM 360-65J... I would never go back, nor do I remember it being that great... just limits. I have no limits now.

My radio made by JR cost me over $600... so what $25 radio?

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Software advances? Really? What software advances have you seen in 25 years? Ada today isn't a whole lot different than Ada 83. C is still C, C++ is still C++ and C#, J2EE and the other ''OODs'' are just hype on someone's wet dream of something ''new''. If anything software ''engineering'' has reverted back to the real old days of programming, not engineering.

The only real change in software is that a real time aircraft navigation system that used to take 8K bytes of memory now takes 2 GB. And what I did in 1000 lines of code now takes 250,000 lines. Yea, real advances.

BTW, remember when Windows 3.0 rand in 640K low memory with 384K of high memory? And it was stored on a 170KB floopy disk?

Lastly, if you wouldn't buy $25 radios from Hong Kong maybe your $2000 airplane would last longer.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:54 PM
RogerParrett

I tend to side with 'six on this one... When I left R/C in '91 (work/family/you know the drill), my radio was a Futaba Super 7. Getting back into R/C in 2007, I found most radios still had the same functionality, maybe a few more mixes. Though 2.4 was coming on the scene, that was "just" the transmission medium. I suppose you don't need that much functionality to fly fixed-wing aircraft.

Things that I figured *would* be mainstream by now:

1) Software updates via downloads - OK, some have this feature now, should have been standard since the late 90's.
2) Ability to pre-program and sequence manuevers - yep, illegal to use during contests, but still...
3) Ability to set up your radio on your PC, simulate the setup, and download it to your transmitter.
4) Ability to have redundancy in RXs. Put three or more RXs in your plane, connect them together, set one as the master (or have a separate "voting" module), and if the link is lost on one RX, the others would take over.
5) RX capability built into servos - which could in effect provide a level of redundancy.

None of the above is technically difficult (speaking as an electrical engineer)... that's why I'm surprised that the above is either not available, or at least not widely available.

And to answer the obvious question "Why don't I do it...?", the answer is simple. I'm content with my sailplanes and Futaba 12FG. And if that answer resonates with most other modelers, I guess we've answered 'six's question.

r/s... Roger Parrett / Dayton / OH
Old 11-17-2011, 04:34 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Ok, there is a good point. I would like to be able to set my radio up using my computer. It would be a whole lot easier then scroll through the little menus on your tx.
As far as upgrading goes - I downloaded 2 updates already for my 8FG. There were some improvements, but I do not like to to through frequent updating processes.
I remember many years when I was back in Germany - one retailer sold a receiver with 2 integrated servos - called 'the brick'. You could plug in more servos to this and it seemed like a good idea. Nobody wanted it.
There have been many approaches to bring new products on the market, some stay and some do not get accepted.
Or they are too expensive for the average modeler. There have been more improvements in the large scale and jet segment - that is where the money is. These guys shell out a few thousands on a model.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Pilotsmoe

ORIGINAL: 378
Yes, yes they have. The 46AX in my trainer makes as much power as a 60 or 70 of 25 years ago and is miles more reliable. Hell, the engine in my touring car makes more HP! Modern engines are easier to start as well, they idle lower, they use less fuel, they make far more power, they're quieter, they're lighter, they run smoother...only reason to run an older engine is nostalgia to be honest.
Doubt it. My 50 FSR from the 80's puts out about the same power as a 46FX. None of that nickel liner crap, either. No difference in fuel consumption.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I do not see much improvement with the engines. Most pilots use a higher percentage of nitro in their fuels then 25 years ago. That helps with starting and improves the performance.
Now we have 4 strokes and gasoline engines at reasonable prices, which are a lot more economical then an equivalent 2 stroke. In the most cases they are worth paying the extra price. That is some improvement.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Flyfalcons

I hate the ''Remember When'' nostalgic thread currently running. Sure it is nice to remember how it was, but I have to question why the snail slow progress in the RC technology?

In the same time span, I have gone through about 10 computers with remarkable advancement each time. Radios with programmable functions have not been around very long.

Telemetry is still in its infancy and few people are enjoying its benefits. Microsoft flight simulator arrived in in 1995. The RC simulators have not caught up yet with realism.

I expected a lot more from RC when I got back into the hobby.

WHY SUCH SLOW PROGRESS IN RC? I say remember now, it's not that great now.
Have you heard of this movement lately called Occupy Wall Street? It's a bunch of whiners not knowing what they are whining about, but who love to poo their pants and skip showers for, say, two months or so. They do so for the attention they receive, mostly disdain and embarassment for what people do (and whine about) these days.

Why do I bring this up? I'm not sure exactly. I read this post and immediately started thinking of those losers taking craps in public.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: CESSNA 421

I agree with ''ON YOUR SIX'' that there has been little progress in the last 25 years in the RC industry. ARFs are not progress they are just a way of avoiding how to learn to build models. Computerized radios are more convenient that non computerized ones however, it's still pilot skill. I still use my Kraft Signature Series radios I bought new in 1980 on the 6 meter band. Radios on 2.4 GHZ is something I have no interest or confidence in which doesn't mean they are good or bad they are just on a different frequency. My Kraft radios are superior to what's out there to day because in 25 years if I am still around my Kraft equipment will still be useable but no of todays radios will be at the field.

Just my opinion.

There are always people like Cessna and on you six, and on the other side people like 378. The first 2 only can ONLY see that the glass is half empty.

378 (bless his soul) like me, (and many others) can ONLY see that the glass half full.

I bet the fist 2 are old folks (like me) and 378 is young, perhaps that is the difference? Not too sure about that.

About that Kraft superiority BS. Not superior to the Futabas I had all these years (that were not too many radios), because mine never had me crash due to radio failure. But, to each his own. For some Kraft are the best, apparently. Well, you keep them. I do not trade my computer radio for any old timer's Kraft. Sorry.

But, this is a hobby. If you have fun with an archaic radio gear, or love free flight or U control, and have fun with it, go for it. Who am I to say anything against it? Now if you come and say nonsense about the radio you have that is superior to bla bla bla. Well, you are out of your mind, in my humble opinion:-)

Me? in 20 years maybe I will still be around. and you bet if I am around, I will not be using an old radio...

Gerry

Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

For those bemoaning the lack of RC advancement over the last 2o years, I think they need to look beyond a low priced radio, or if they choose to focus there, admit the real problem is obtaining what they desire at a price they want to pay. If you want a great and nearly bullet proof radio, they are definately available. But not for a bottom dollar price.

Gigantic strides have been made in RC technology, but much of it has been rewarded with a higher price. With the exception of what I'll call the "toy" electrics, advances in RC have enabled the world to develop UAV technology to a status far elevated above what we are willing to pay for. many of those RC advances have been embraced by UAV firms. Auto pilots, flight telemetry systems, miniature gps, 2.4 technology, ultra precision servos, composite construction and propellers, gas engines, turbines, fuel tanks, servo arms, and a host of others originally intended for RC have provided a steady supply of high tech, high quality components to an industry turning about 50 billion dollars a year. There's lots of really good stuff out there, and more being released every day.

Unfortunately, as the price of higher technology products increased modelers shied away from them, and the dismal RC sales volumes forced the makers to seek a new buyer source, So the focus then shifted to appeasing those willing and capable of keeping the doors of the higher end, greater research dollar spent, RC manufacturers open. Futaba, Airtronics, JR, DA, 3w, Sullivan, Mejzlik, are just a few that now focus heavily on a larger aircraft industry because modelers expected to see break throughs in technology and quality sell for a lower price than what they had paid previously. Software people should really understand this since they have a shining example of pricing technology constantly higher with a firm like Microsoft. There are many truly great RC products out there, that have been there for quite some time, for those willing to step up and pay for them. Why make something you can't make any money on? Or, why market to a group that refuses to buy?

I find new and amazing things in RC every day, and I see a lot of them marketed at a price that many won't or can't pay. But if you are willing to pay a little more for having the best, you can have the best indeed. Those that seriously want them, have them.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:59 PM
yukonflier

I just flew a 4 rotor 'copter with my iphone, with HD video from on-board playing on-screen....just sayin'
Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Warbirdguy

David, that thing is beautiful a red missle. You did a fine job on it. I need to come up and fly with you guys one weekend. Maybe when it gets good and cold I can make the trip :P

You still have that old B25?

Jamie
Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

We don't believe in capitalist competition in America anymore which started to happen in the 80's.

For instance........XYZ company comes out with a servo, or radio, or ARF, or turbine and the only thing you see on RCU is bashing them out of existence. God forbid we put pressure on a company to improve which will create competition, which will cause advancements to be made, all the while dropping prices.

No we in the RC community, especially many on here would just as soon break every rule of posting in the forums to bash someone who isn't who they have chosen.

It's a lot like politics in here, which is a large part of the problem.

We need to reduce government regulations, and encourage companies to compete, not break every RCU forum rule to feed our own personal feelings.

There was a time when a company would come out with something and everyone would help them make it better for more competition.......Those days are LOOOOOOONG GONE........

The lack of basic economic understanding in America is mind boggling.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:45 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: init4fun

I just thank the great gods of RF that my cellphone drops more calls than my TX drops planes

Hallelujah!!! You nailed that one on the head!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Steve Landron

I’ve been around the hobby since 1983 and I'm happy with the progress of RC I have seen over the years. From SIM’s, buddy boxes, FPV, pocket sized mini cams, multi aircraft radios (able to use the same radio for multiple aircraft), micro electrics, batteries, the shear selection of ARF's available, and yes even the radio advancements.
20 years ago I would never have dreamed of the advancements in this hobby today. Now I take for granted the 2 gram plane I fly early mornings in my back yard (Vapor), the 2.4GHZ radio I have never had a glitch on (three years running), and the 400 size electric helicopter I fly wherever I want too. I can only imagine what technology changes I'll see in the next 20 years.
Could there have been more advancement’s in the hobby industry, probably, but I'm really content with the way things are progressing. Like everything, advancements are a product of supply and demand. How many people are buying a new RC radio every year? I have radios that are 20 years old, that’s just the way I am, I find what works and stick with it. I guess you can blame me for the slooow progress of RC technology. Sorry…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.