Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bad Builder Alert

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bad Builder Alert

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:47 PM
scalehelinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad Builder Alert

Andy, sorry for your loss, what is this clown doing in the Jet community ? your a better man than me, because with that investment lost I am busting some one in the head for sure.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:26 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God Bless you Andy. Not having a negative comment to the son about his dad is a gentleman's move. For me, accepting a 5k loss under those circumstances would be tough for me to settle on.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:46 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I never understand why people don't build, you learn a lot and it's the only way to really learn.
I understand not having time, which is why I buy arfs. Sorry to hear your lose, did you ever see his projects before hand?
What you seem not to understand ... Not all of us have the skill to build nor the desire. Glue and I really stick tight ... to every thing. Now if I could machine it on a Bridgeport or a LaBlond it would be a differant story.
as for learning a lot by building is one thing but now REPAIR is a whole differant story. Lot harder to put broken parts back togeather than starting with new. Would you not agree.

Actually, putting together some jet kits you end up re-designing or repairing before you even get the thing together so repairing after an accident can sometimes be easier.

Marty
Old 11-17-2011, 06:26 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

I think this is your man.... Anderson,Ga. .... Is he connected to Hodges Hobbies ???? Looks like it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFNtuBZSykQ

D
Spray can paint on a plane that expensive?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 PM
ChickenStick Rick
My Feedback: (674)

Well, I am surprised there a not more people with real life horror stories from John Monaghan. Here is my story. I was following a build thread on FG that John was building a Exclusiv Modellbau Pitts S1 3.04 meter. When toward the end of the thread he advertised the plane for sale as Ready to Cover. Make a long story short, I bought the plane and contracted him to finish the build to Ready to fly condition.

Here is how it went. I waited over two years for this guy to finish the build. Story after story after he would get it done and then he needed this and that. No results and two grand in the hole, I was finally able to get someone to rescue the plane for me from him. After two years there was nothing but empty promises. I sent this guy everything needed to complete the plane. Come to find out after finally retrieving the plane, he was not even finished with the build. The top wing was not even framed up. I guess I was fortunate as I did get the plane and all my equipment back from this guy. I found another builder and eventually sold the plane before it was finished.

John Monaghan is a train wreck and a borderline thief. For a guy who is unemployed you would think he would be building as fast as possible to make a living, but apparently he would rather sit around and collect welfare that my tax money pays for. I don't mean to be nasty but I have no sympathy for this guy.

Well that is my .02 cents
Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

ORIGINAL: ChickenStick Rick

Well, I am surprised there a not more people with real life horror stories from John Monaghan. Here is my story. I was following a build thread on FG that John was building a Exclusiv Modellbau Pitts S1 3.04 meter. When toward the end of the thread he advertised the plane for sale as Ready to Cover. Make a long story short, I bought the plane and contracted him to finish the build to Ready to fly condition.

Here is how it went. I waited over two years for this guy to finish the build. Story after story after he would get it done and then he needed this and that. No results and two grand in the hole, I was finally able to get someone to rescue the plane for me from him. After two years there was nothing but empty promises. I sent this guy everything needed to complete the plane. Come to find out after finally retrieving the plane, he was not even finished with the build. The top wing was not even framed up. I guess I was fortunate as I did get the plane and all my equipment back from this guy. I found another builder and eventually sold the plane before it was finished.

John Monaghan is a train wreck and a borderline thief. For a guy who is unemployed you would think he would be building as fast as possible to make a living, but apparently he would rather sit around and collect welfare that my tax money pays for. I don't mean to be nasty but I have no sympathy for this guy.

Well Rick I was happy to help you get your stuff back as well as a couple of you other guys out there I have helped. I am not going to go into great detail about my dealings and how much money I lost with John but I can tell you it was more than 60k. All I can do is tell everyone out there to spread the word around about John. May be that would help stop this from happening again to some one else.
George
Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: TSHARK203

ORIGINAL: ChickenStick Rick

Well Rick I was happy to help you get your stuff back as well as a couple of you other guys out there I have helped. I am not going to go into great detail about my dealings and how much money I lost with John but I can tell you it was more than 60k. All I can do is tell everyone out there to spread the word around about John. May be that would help stop this from happening again to some one else.
George
You must be the dude he told me about that had a partnership with him in a hobby business.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:45 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy, good information for our community to not get taken...but huge props and taking the high road with the man's son. You are a class act that understands what's important.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 PM
TSHARK203

That would be myself. How many lies did you here. One can only wonder.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 PM
ChickenStick Rick
My Feedback: (674)

Hey George,

It was by luck that I met George through a marketplace deal. I stumbled on the fact that George new John. He was a huge help in getting my stuff back to me. He went and picked it up for me or I should say rescued it for me and another fine gentleman who's name has escaped me brought my stuff to me at the Joe Nall almost two years ago. Can't thank you guys enough.

Rick
Old 11-17-2011, 10:24 PM
WEAVE
My Feedback: (47)

Andy you are a class act a good friend of mine tried to warn the R/C general popalation about John years ago on R/C Universe and he was shut down by the legal staff now it seams that John is still taken advantage of good people. I am a builder with over 45 years experience .I have built hundreds of models for customers and yes sometimes things go wrong sickness, etc but I allways came through to my customers. I first met John at a warbird meet in Atlanta Ga. he was showing some of his work on a new FW-190 the work was great it is a shame that he has the talent to do great work but no work ethics to go along with it. I am having two leave this great hobby/ sport because of my health I am selling all my beloved models and kits and my first Jet turbine I have ever owned so I know how you must have fealt to get ripped off like this maybe we can put a stop to Johns constant bad behavior.I have been in a lot of sports full scale acro,bowling, bike riding, muscle car building but no hobby has made me as happy as this onen we have some of the best people on the face of this earth. I flew pattern for over 35 years and your compeitors would come and lone you anything you needed to get you back in the air I evean had a friend lone his plane and I ended up wining with his plane. So lets not let a few bad eggs runin our great hobby. I wish all of you the best of luck gear up and allways happy landings. Ronnie Weaver TopGun Builder and Pilot and a USMC Vet. God BLESS YOU ALL AMA 8108
Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 AM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

I echo u2fast Andy. You are a good person.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Warbirdguy

Andy,

I too think you took the high road. I build also for others and Im never happy with my work lol. Others think its good but Im my own worst critic.
Not defending the builder in your story, but, 3 years ago, I had some major tragedy in my family. I wont go into boring details but within a few months, broken ankle, surgery, destroyed car (not related to broken ankle), death of mother inlaw. It was like hell opened up and threw us a party. I had two building jobs on the table at the time. Fortunately, the clients understood, and I got the work finished on one project and the other is just about done.
I think most of the people in this hobby, and life for that matter, truely understand when things go bad beyond control. But, to not try and make it right, thats another issue.

Just my two cents.

WBG
Old 11-18-2011, 07:58 AM
turkey hunter
My Feedback: (10)

How many other people have to be stung by this guy before someone, Lowers The Boom, on this guy!
Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Andy, you are certainly a better man than I. If I couldn't recover my money from him, I would at the very least report him to the IRS. I don't know how it works in the states but, here, the Canada Revenue Agency would be very interested in a guy collecting social assistance, who reports no income but has all these people sending him cash money to build for them. He would have more than some serious explaining to do. They even provide a "snitch" line for our convenience. Don't imagine the USA is much different.

Mike

Old 11-18-2011, 10:13 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Dont know you andy, but our hobby was never like this many years ago . You could trust most all builders and they kept their word .I build only for myself but i have sold a few to guys at different clubs . I always let them know if there is a issue on my older planes before they hand over their cash and i always give them my phone number just in case they have anymore questions . I hope he makes things right and you get them fixed up to fly someday Andy. joe
Old 11-18-2011, 11:44 AM
SmoothFlying

George (TSHARK), you dont have much room to talk. I think there were numerous people out there that were after you also. So before you start talking about people you need to remember about the things that you have done also.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 PM
TSHARK203

Mummm...... unknow poster smoothflying who wont post your name on any thread you have posted on that I have seen. Could this be (chris c.). I dont recall any one coming to my house demaning there stuff back at any point in time in my life. If you have differnt info please let me know. I have not done anything to any one that I am afraid to post up. How about you yourself. Stick your kown name out there in the ring. Thanks for adding to the conversation.
George aka TSHARK203
Old 11-18-2011, 03:08 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

CAT fight!!
Old 11-18-2011, 03:10 PM
TSHARK203

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

CAT fight!!
No....... no cat fight. Just stating a fact.
George
Old 11-18-2011, 04:20 PM
SmoothFlying

Yes George its Chris.  i figured u would be able to figure out who I am.  Just do a search for my screen name and a lot will pop up.  There have been several flyins that u didnt go to because certain people that were looking for u were going to.  Even one large warbird event u were asked to leave because things were getting ugly.  Im not going to name names but you know the deal.  All Im saying is that u need to watch what u say when u have done some of the same exact things.  U can deny as much as u want but everyone knows.  Im not sticking up for John as I have had many conversations with him about working and what he can do to do right.  I have good things to say for him because everything he does for me he gets done and is done the way I want.  He just recently did some work for me on my new Carden a few weeks ago.  I do hate that things have happened to other people and wish he could change his ways.  He is an awesome builder and when I need something I know he will help me out.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:46 PM
TSHARK203

Well well well it is chris compost. Glad to see you posted your name to your post. I am quite sure you did get your bird done, after you stood over him to make sure it got done as you have had to do many times before. And after you called me pleading with me to get john to work on your plane at my shop. I have not knocked johns building ability he does do a "good" job and I am glad you got your plane done and some others have gotten theres done as well. What I am saying it that I dont care for the way he has done myself and others that I know. I know I can safely say as you put it "u have done some of the same exact things".
George
Old 11-18-2011, 04:53 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: SmoothFlying

Yes George its Chris. i figured u would be able to figure out who I am. Just do a search for my screen name and a lot will pop up. There have been several flyins that u didnt go to because certain people that were looking for u were going to. Even one large warbird event u were asked to leave because things were getting ugly. Im not going to name names but you know the deal. All Im saying is that u need to watch what u say when u have done some of the same exact things. U can deny as much as u want but everyone knows. Im not sticking up for John as I have had many conversations with him about working and what he can do to do right. I have good things to say for him because everything he does for me he gets done and is done the way I want. He just recently did some work for me on my new Carden a few weeks ago. I do hate that things have happened to other people and wish he could change his ways. He is an awesome builder and when I need something I know he will help me out.
Why would JM need conversations with you to know what they can do to make things right with people? Its simple. Pay them back. If you are so good at getting John to work for you, how about sending me the money you pay him to do your work? I'll start deducting the payments from the money he owes me.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:39 PM
bookmaker
My Feedback: (24)

John got $280 from me for a Ta152 short kit to be cut from plans I sent him. After about a year I finally got my plans back, but not the first stick of wood. I even offered to take what ever he had on hand that was already cut. Nothing.

I finally gave up.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 PM
SmoothFlying

Andy I am very sorry that you got the bad end of the stick with John.  Not that it was my business but I had no idea you were working with John.  Its not my place to tell him what to do with his money.  I just offered suggestions on what is right and what needed to be done with past issues..  Its up to him how he runs his life.  If I could help change things and get your money back I would but its not my place.  And for the record I believe the last time I talked with him about issues like this was probably over a year ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.