Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

SAVAGE XL WITH OFNA PICO .28 OR HPI F 4.6?? and hop ups!

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

SAVAGE XL WITH OFNA PICO .28 OR HPI F 4.6?? and hop ups!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:25 PM
willsavagexl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAVAGE XL WITH OFNA PICO .28 OR HPI F 4.6?? and hop ups!

hey guys im buying a new savage xl soon, i know the k 5.9 is crap so i want to change the engine. im looking on the hpi f 4.6 and the OFNA picco 2.8.
i know the 4.6 is great but is the picco as reliable? like can it last very long does it have OWB problems?
and for the savage xl i will pretty much be running it stock out of the box exept the engine swap and maby a pipe? which pipe do you recoment me? can i stay with the stock pipe

thanks guys

Old 11-19-2011, 08:44 PM
LjCraft1234

Default RE: SAVAGE XL WITH OFNA PICO .28 OR HPI F 4.6?? and hop ups!

wait for the lrp .32 it drops soon for 195 and no new pipe go big or go home and soon as in this month... my lrp .28 slings mr savage x 4.6 like its a rag dog i can imagine what the .32 will do to an xl 4.34 hp 33k+ rpms lol thats crazy only cen makes more horses but is crap as well

Old 11-19-2011, 08:54 PM
llkoolskillet

Both the F4.6 and Picco 28 are reliable. HOWEVER.... the F4.6 is a stock motor, yes it will push around the XL but its made for the X. The picco is one of the nastiest motors out there right now. When it comes to tuning these motors there the same on how you tune but the window for dialing them in is completely different. The F4.6 is more forgiving and easier to find the sweet spot for a good performance tune. The Picco has a much narrower window for finding the sweet spot, meaning its harder to find. I dont want that to sound like its a negative cause its not. IDK what your background is on tuning nitro engines. If your fairly new then i would stick with the K5.9 and learn how to tune on that motor. Your talking about 2 motors that are worlds apart. The F4.6 will never be what a picco is.
Also you should note that is you do drop a picco in, your going to need to beef up the drive train. Im talkin about BP diffs if the XL does not already have them. Also doing the BP 3spd tranny mod. It takes 2 gears out of the 2spd and you do a slight mod to one and drop it in the 3spd. You can also upgrade the 44t 1st gear to a steel one. This is not an expensive mod, it can be done for under $40 easy. With BP diffs and BP tranny the picco will be right at home.

To answer your question on how long will the picco last. Im about to start gallon #9 here real soon. Meaning its time for another rebuild hehe. By far the longest lasting motor ive ever run!!! OH and my picco is modded

Dont worry about these OWB issues. It has to do with your fuel, tuning, roto start or pull start, and how you store the motor. I went thro 3 OWBs with my picco but thats because i used a roto start. Never again will i use them. Pull start is much nicer to the OWB.

Pipe... a good 086 will work. OFNA 086 or Dynamite 086. If you have the cash I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the ERCM end bleed. Hands down IMO the best pipe out there period. I will only run ERCM from now on!!!

I hope you can see where Im trying to lead you away from the F4.6 and getting a Picco. But the LRP 28 and LRP 30 are both amazing motors as well. All the mentioned will run circles around the K5.9 and F4.6 and are better overall motors.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:09 PM
willsavagexl

im not a beast at tunning but im alright. but is the ofna picco that hard to tune? and is it drop in the savage. can you also find me a tut or tell me how to bullet proof my transsmission? thanks alot man ur great!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:15 PM
llkoolskillet

See i didnt want to scare you away from the picco. Its a million times the motor the K5.9 and F4.6 are thats all. Trust im a picco guy thro and thro. There not that hard to tune, once you get them in there nice little window they AMAZING!!! Below is the link to my build thread on bullet proofing your 3spd it shows you everything and how to do it. Yes it will drop right in the savage. I suggest using a 17t CB w/ a 47t Spur gear its a nice medium for top speed and ballz out acceleration

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10543396/tm.htm

This is a performance tuning guide thats extremely easy to follow and understand

http://www.extremercmods.com/content/tuning-popup.html

Any other questions on the tranny just ask
Old 11-19-2011, 09:22 PM
willsavagexl

thanks alot i will be looking into those links  I suggest using a 17t CB w/ a 47t Spur gear
when u wrote 17t CB what does CB mean and if i keep the stock spur gear and i just change the 17t CB will it be good?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:26 PM
llkoolskillet

CB stands for clutch bell.

The stock spur gear in the XL is a 52t. The to run a 17t you will have to widen the mount holes on the plate just a tiny bit to allow the fit. You can also run 16/48 as well then you would only have to buy a spur gear instead of both.
The XL comes stock with a 16/52 set up.
You can also just keep the stock gearing for now anyways its not going to hurt anything. Besides gearing is a whole other conversation haha
Old 11-19-2011, 09:26 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They be trollin
Old 11-19-2011, 09:28 PM
llkoolskillet

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

They be trollin
You think? i guess we'll see in the morning haha
Old 11-19-2011, 09:41 PM
willsavagexl

thanks alot man and what hop ups are good for the truck out of the box?
Old 11-20-2011, 01:42 AM
willsavagexl

ok i looked at ur link and it looks not that hard nor easy and do i need to buy parts if i wanna do it? and if i dont do the upgrade as we can call it is it gonna brake with my picco .30? am i better off with the f 4.6 then?
thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 AM
rcnitrohead

ORIGINAL: willsavagexl

ok i looked at ur link and it looks not that hard nor easy and do i need to buy parts if i wanna do it? and if i dont do the upgrade as we can call it is it gonna brake with my picco .30? am i better off with the f 4.6 then?
thanks
Your intelligence rivals that of a cinder block, take it as a compliment.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: LjCraft1234

wait for the lrp .32 it drops soon for 195 and no new pipe go big or go home and soon as in this month... my lrp .28 slings mr savage x 4.6 like its a rag dog i can imagine what the .32 will do to an xl 4.34 hp 33k+ rpms lol thats crazy only cen makes more horses but is crap as well

I am sure the new LRP 32 will be a stout engine...but keep in mind the manufacturers claimed power and RPM numbers are quite exaggerated...these engines will make nowhere near 4.34 HP, they would likely struggle to make a true 2 HP if ever dyno tested.......In the sport engine market the manufacturers like to make big power claims on the box, as it fools people into thinking the engine is more powerful then what it is and increases the chances of making a sale to someone who is not too familiar with the engine market...Believe it or not but a properly setup smaller engine can and will make substantially more power then what your going to get with a .32....However your going to spend substantially more money to get substantially more power...... I do love the idea of a bigger engine tho, I just wish the more advanced engine designs were applied to one of these 32's.....Right now they are big displacement, but they are quite utility in their design and geometry....... Believe it or not tho, the biggest issue we face is the SG sized clutch gear is too small for some of the big power engines we have available today.... Cheers and good luck with your new engines, I am looking forward to seeing some videos of this badboy running....
Old 11-20-2011, 11:31 AM
willsavagexl

thanks alot im just not sure now between which one again the f 4.6 or the ofna picco .28 will the tranny break if i get the picco and how long can the engine last compared to the f 4.6
Old 11-20-2011, 11:35 AM
supertib

thanks alot im just not sure now between which one again the f 4.6 or the ofna picco .28 will the tranny break if i get the picco and how long can the engine last compared to the f 4.6

if your just starting out I would run the stock engine...then once you have that figured out I would look into a LRP of some sort...then after you master that then looks at a Picco or Novarossi...then after that start looking into one of the modified Italian 28's......... But if your just starting out your better off learning on the stock engine...Buy some good fuel, good glowplugs, a strong glowstarter and start learning the basics.......
Old 11-20-2011, 11:37 AM
willsavagexl

its the crappy 5.9 thats in it and i dont want to go through 1000 OWB so il change it for a f 4.6?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:38 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not an LRP Spec 3 .28 or LRP 30?

Based on your questions, the Dynamite Big Red .28 might be right up your alley.. I have one - ran it today in my LST2.. Great, user-friendly, fast engine.. And cheap. LRP Spec 3 .28 and Losi 454 will be very similar, almost identical..
Old 11-20-2011, 11:39 AM
willsavagexl

ok thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 11:52 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

thanks
Your intelligence rivals that of a cinder block, take it as a compliment.
[&:]
Old 11-20-2011, 02:27 PM
willsavagexl

was that post very neccesary?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:29 PM
willsavagexl

and for the 3 speed if i take out the 3 speed and make it into a 2 speed will be be BP? cuzz u were saing only the 3 gear was not good.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 PM
willsavagexl

and if i dont have the pipe for now and i run the stock pipe will it do for a little while?
Old 11-20-2011, 07:28 PM
llkoolskillet

OK dude, your reading to far into this. First and foremost, you said you werent the best at tuning. SO learn how to tune with the 5.9 it will save you money and headaches trying to learn. Also your reading way to far into this OWB issue. Like i said it has to do with your fuel choice, how you store the motor and how you start the motor. Also Supertib told you to buy some good fuel. Trust me he knows what hes talkin about!!! Good fuel is NOT traxxas fuel. Odonnels 20% is perfect for a starter fuel IMO.

Do you even have the truck yet?

If you do then just drive the dang thing! Your going to break things on it anyways. Your also choosing the better of the savages.

The BP 3 speed will handle 6S lipo power so you have nothing to worry about with a stock F4.6 or even a modded picco. A stock F4.6 will break the 3spd so will the 5.9. You can do the BP 3spd mod for under $40 and be done with it. The thread I made is dummy proof. IDK how many people have read it and done the mod.

The stock pipe is fine for right now.

Do you remember when you learned to ride a bike? I hope so hehe You didnt start riding one day. You had to learn with training wheels. Look at the 5.9 as training wheels. Once mastered then move to a better motor.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM
richardtf

Hey kool,i think hes just playing with you man
Old 11-20-2011, 09:13 PM
llkoolskillet

Hmm so we have a daryl1986 here then???

Its kind of annoying when you honestly try to help someone and there intentions are just to F with you. Kinda screwed up I think!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.