Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage 4.6RTR versus 4.6ss versus 5.9RTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:05 PM
authorjim1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 4.6RTR versus 4.6ss versus 5.9RTR

Okay guys I need some help. I want an HPI Savage truck. I don't know which to get. I don't care about building a kit like the 4.6SS but only if it is significantly better than the RTR.
Also Is the 5.9 better, faster, better jumper etc. What would you buy and why if you had the choice now.

Please consider what you know about durability, speed, parts availability, jumping ability, speed,ease of starting.

Do all of these have rotostart capability, which is the best, I heard the 5.9 has the new more powerful rotostart 2.

Thanks again

Jim
Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Default RE: Savage 4.6RTR versus 4.6ss versus 5.9RTR

Watch all my vids.
And take a guess why I recommend the XL K5.9.
Here's my very first XL vid.
(Guess where my avitar came from.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQGnHO-u2vo[/youtube]
Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 PM
R/C Lightweight

ORIGINAL: authorjim1

Okay guys I need some help. I want an HPI Savage truck. I don't know which to get. I don't care about building a kit like the 4.6SS but only if it is significantly better than the RTR.
Also Is the 5.9 better, faster, better jumper etc. What would you buy and why if you had the choice now.

Please consider what you know about durability, speed, parts availability, jumping ability, speed,ease of starting.

Do all of these have rotostart capability, which is the best, I heard the 5.9 has the new more powerful rotostart 2.

Thanks again

Jim
Most Savage owners feel that the X 4.6 RTR has the best engine. The XL 5.9 seems to have more engine issues than the others, but comes on the best platform, as the XL is more stable and jumps a little more predictable due to the longer wheelbase. The SS has some upgrades over the RTR, but the K4.6 is no match for the F4.6 in the RTR. It'a crapshoot. Do you want the truck to come with the best engine or the best chassis? The SS will be most expensive once you factor in some decent servos and TX/RX. The XL is a good bargain, with the exception of the suspect engine. The X 4.6 RTR can be upgraded to better than SS specs for pretty cheap, with the added bonus of the best engine of the group. The X 4.6 RTR is also the fastest out of the box. It really comes down to preference: chassis or engine?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 PM
SLAYERDUDE

So do like BudBud says and sell the 5.9 for an upgrade engine.
Either you end up with an awesome truck, an awesome truck, or my awesome 5.9 XL.
I do wish the XL was a kit.
RTR is for sissies.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

The XL is the best platform, having the greatest length and width, strongest TVPs/engine plate, and strongest drivetrain, but the 4.6RTR has the best engine. If I were buying a stock truck, I would buy the XL, sell the engine, and drop in a better one.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:41 AM
authorjim1

You guys are all awesome, the vids are awesome.

Your answers were perfect and complete. I have ruled out the SS. Don't need to build it when a few upgrades will do.

Still debating the 4.6RTR vs the 5.9.
Does the 5.9 have the 3 speed tranny and if so is it a problem. Do any have reverse?

Slanting to the 5.9 since I'm used to changing engines. Both my on road cars DM1 and GT2 needed an engine change, crappy or marginal at best with supplied engines. The Associated SC8 is an awesome truck but needs engine change. When you only have a single speed tranny you need gobs of torque and lots of RPM's; stock engine has neither.

Next question if I get the 5.9 what's the best engine, the stock one is a .33 or something like that right?

Also how is the rotostart on both the 4.6 and the 5.9, would the replacement engines use rotostart?

When will these companiens wise up and provide rollers so we can put our own 2.4 radios and upgraded servos in right away? I have so many AM, FM radios that I don't use now that it's like a grave yard.

Again thanks so much for the response.

Jim
Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 AM
SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: authorjim1

You guys are all awesome, the vids are awesome.

Your answers were perfect and complete. I have ruled out the SS. Don't need to build it when a few upgrades will do.

Still debating the 4.6RTR vs the 5.9.
Does the 5.9 have the 3 speed tranny and if so is it a problem. Do any have reverse?

Slanting to the 5.9 since I'm used to changing engines. Both my on road cars DM1 and GT2 needed an engine change, crappy or marginal at best with supplied engines. The Associated SC8 is an awesome truck but needs engine change. When you only have a single speed tranny you need gobs of torque and lots of RPM's; stock engine has neither.

Next question if I get the 5.9 what's the best engine, the stock one is a .33 or something like that right?

Also how is the rotostart on both the 4.6 and the 5.9, would the replacement engines use rotostart?

When will these companiens wise up and provide rollers so we can put our own 2.4 radios and upgraded servos in right away? I have so many AM, FM radios that I don't use now that it's like a grave yard.

Again thanks so much for the response.

Jim
Yes the XL comes with the 3 speed trans and steel spur gear, Vented racing CB, alum shoes.
The only problem I've had with the trans in 6+ gallons of abuse is the 3rd gear clutch pawl gets mushroomed but is easily fixed for free by filing it flat again.
None of the Savages come with reverse, I'm not sure if there is a reverse available for the XL.
Heard some bad things about the reverse mod for the X.
5.9 is a .36
Rotostart2 that comes with the XL has treated me well, I've heard bad about the first one.
If you do alot of jumping the XL is very comfortable in the air in stock form, launches nicely and soaks up 20+ foot air like nothing.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:48 PM
R/C Lightweight

The X 4.6 RTR also has the Rotostart2 system. One thing to keep in mind, is that if you decide to go with the XL, and bolt in big power like a Picco .28 or the LRP .30, you'll be blowin' out your 3rd gear pretty often. Consult BudBud about this problem, as he has extensive knowledge about the issue. The clutch bell + alum. shoes, stronger steering servo (still not very good), steel spur, and receiver pack are all notable upgrades when comparing an X with an XL, but it comes at a premium of about $100 more. Is it worth it? That's up to you. If you sell off the XL engine, pipe, etc. you'll still need to add another $100-$150 to get a better engine and a good header/pipe combo. You may also want to put a 2 speed (another $50 or so) in it for durability issues. All in all, it's a close call and comes down to the handling characteristics that you would prefer. XL = more stable, easier to land the big jumps , X= easier to wheely at will, a bit lighter so a little more nimble. Both great trucks, tough as nails, can't go wrong on this one!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:39 PM
BudBud

The three speed is great while it lasts. I had trouble with final drive gears and bending the shifting pawls. The LRP 30 seems to be a great engine for the XL. I enjoyed my 5.9 engines, but I am a nitro tinkerer and have spent way too much time messing with them and fixing them. The Picco 28 is by far the fastest power going for the XL. I tried a couple of the big Nova Rossi engines, but they are expensive and have no more power than a properly tuned Picco 28. I had five of the 5.9 engines. I had one modded, it is fun and definitely different, but even in modded form, a Picco 28 will be faster on the ground. The LRP 30 is a nice engine to live with, easy to tune, easy to start. It does a great job in the Savage platform, but when I tried one in my truggy, the lack of rpm was kind of boring It did what it did well, but it was a turtle next to the Picco 21-26-27-28 and OS 21-28 engines. I stripped the plasic gear on one two speed and it was an old one that had seen a lot of modded Picco 28 abuse with my LRP 30. It seems to be much easier on parts than the higher rpm Piccos. If you ever tear a Savage transmission apart, you will see how loose and sloppy everything fits, it makes one wonder how they live at all. The reverse module will fit the XL, but they are not up to the load. I broke a couple and never used reverse. The 053 pipe seems to be sweet on the 30 and the 086 on the Piccos.

LRP 30 XL 2 speed....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_jioG_a7LM

and another ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VxBSaqfWG4
Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 AM
authorjim1

Great thread guys thanks to all of you.

It sounds like I will be going 5.6xl. I like the sound of the more stable chassis. I like big and lots of power but want a semblance of control on the wheelies. I am also a tinkerer and don't mind if I have to change the engine at some point or mod the tranny.

I have an LRP .30 X the competition version and have been told it has great RPM and lot's of torque. In fact I'm putting one in my SC8.

All the information that I recieved from you guys would have taken months without this forum thanks alot.

The one thing that confuses me is that how can a .28 Picco or an Lrp .3 compete with a .36 engine? Is the better quality able to deliver that much more power even from so much less displacement?

Have most of you switched out your radios and gone to 2.4MHZ?

Jim
Old 08-15-2009, 04:44 AM
BudBud

The nothing beats cubic inches comes back to haunt us again... If you just go cruising through the K5.9 videos, you will catch on to the sound of them really going flat and struggling in third gear. They hit third and it takes a long time to gain rpm...acceleration is the same as gone. Glen

Editing to add a video link, this is my truck, so I am not picking on somebody else's pride and joy. The idle was a little high, the wheelies were fun, but I had to search for them. The few times I left the third gear running in, you can hear it just moaning and not picking up much speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCLxpFJmTs
Old 08-15-2009, 07:56 AM
R/C Lightweight

ORIGINAL: BudBud

The nothing beats cubic inches comes back to haunt us again... If you just go cruising through the K5.9 videos, you will catch on to the sound of them really going flat and struggling in third gear. They hit third and it takes a long time to gain rpm...acceleration is the same as gone. Glen

Editing to add a video link, this is my truck, so I am not picking on somebody else's pride and joy. The idle was a little high, the wheelies were fun, but I had to search for them. The few times I left the third gear running in, you can hear it just moaning and not picking up much speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCLxpFJmTs
It's weird, but true. Sometimes the smaller displacment engines just out run the larger ones. My Picco .28 screams, while my friend's Corsa .30 seems to fall short on revs. The Corsa is torquey, but once the engines start to spool up, there's a big difference. The displacement scenario reminds me of the old musclecar days. Ford's HiPo 289 was a screamer small block engine that would eat up big blocks at the dragstrip. A few years later came Chevy's DZ 302 engine option for the Camaro that would destroy those 400+ cubic inch engines at the strip as well. Ahh, the era of muscle cars. Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic, but you get the point. Bigger displacement doesn't always mean faster/more powerful.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 AM
willsavagexl

sorry to bring this old post up but if i buy a savage xl and put a f 4.6 in it will tranny break? cuzz for the same price i have an f 4.6 or an OFNA .28 picco, so i rly dont know which one to take ! thanks guys
Old 11-22-2011, 10:56 AM
sparky 25

If i was you id go with the f4.6 fitted to an xl,

the force 28 has enough power to push the savage around easily,

a picco 28 will be a bit of an animal compared to the f4.6 in every aspect,

more power, higher fuel consumption and seem to need tuned every time the wind changes direction,

i had a couple piccos and they ran great for me and are power houses,

but i have also have an ofna force 28 engine which runs perfect and produces hassle free tuning every time i run it,

Old 11-22-2011, 12:09 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: willsavagexl

sorry to bring this old post up but if i buy a savage xl and put a f 4.6 in it will tranny break? cuzz for the same price i have an f 4.6 or an OFNA .28 picco, so i rly dont know which one to take ! thanks guys
Why didn't you just ask this question in one of your currently active threads?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:14 PM
willsavagexl

heyy i will descripe my situation, i can drive to otawa get my savage xl with every thing but they only have the -picco .28 ofna, and my local hobby shop has the LRP .28  for only 200$ cash so no taxe! they dont have the hpi 4.6. so will the LRP be good? is it as reliable as the HPI 4.6? is it as easy to tune and will it brake my tranny like the picco would?

Old 11-22-2011, 12:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

It's spelled BREAK, not BRAKE. Braking is completely different from breaking.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:22 PM
willsavagexl

OMG CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME AND NOT TEACH ME HOW TO WRITE!
Old 11-22-2011, 12:27 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heyy i will descripe my situation, i can drive to otawa get my savage xl with every thing but they only have the -picco .28 ofna, and my local hobby shop has the LRP .28 for only 200$ cash so no taxe! they dont have the hpi 4.6. so will the LRP be good? is it as reliable as the HPI 4.6? is it as easy to tune and will it brake my tranny like the picco would?

If you are so worried about breaking something than you shouldn't get into RC's.

As for the tranny breaking there shouldn't be any issues with and of the Savage trannies. I have had 5-6 Savages and currently have 3 and I have never had a tranny go bad on any of them.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:24 PM
richardtf

[quote]ORIGINAL: willsavagexl

heyy i will descripe my situation, i can drive to otawa get my savage xl with every thing but they only have the -picco .28 ofna, and my local hobby shop has the LRP .28 for only 200$ cash so no taxe! they dont have the hpi 4.6. so will the LRP be good? is it as reliable as the HPI 4.6? is it as easy to tune and will it brake my tranny like the picco would?

[/quo

Here you go [link]http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11418670[/link]
no more worries of breaking it only cost a fraction of a savage.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:26 PM
richardtf

worried of breaking? here yah go... [link]http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11418670[/link]
cost less than a savage
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM
llkoolskillet

OK OK OK Id say i speak for everyone here, Willsavagexl STOP F**KIN WORRING ABOUT BREAKING SH*T. No RC is totally bullet proof. Just like your real car or truck you drive, Your going to break something if you drive it into the F**KIN wall.

Go pick up your new XL and drive the crap out of it. Learn from it and enjoy it. Stop asking stupid questions. Cause you really sound like a moron right now. To be perfectly honest with you i bet you laugh everytime you make a post. Hmm who else can i rile up today!?!
For the real memebers here were here to help, give advice, and learn. Not sit here and answer questions from someone who seems to be trollin. You may be legit in the fact you really want an XL. WHO KNOWS????

Again go get the DAM* truck and drive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill make you a bet, You go get your new XL with Picco 28 and drive it like you stole it THEN get back on here and post your results. Bet you cant do that??? OH and pics are a must to prove your not BSn!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:45 PM
willsavagexl

ok soo i dont get the think ride it like you stole it but wtv.
so im going the week,weekend to get it with an LRP .28 spec 3 and is the os number 8 glow plug good? thanks and please dont think im trollin i may look like i am but im not :S
Old 11-22-2011, 02:49 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok soo i dont get the think ride it like you stole it but wtv.
so im going the week,weekend to get it with an LRP .28 spec 3 and is the os number 8 glow plug good? thanks and please dont think im trollin i may look like i am but im not :S
Why are you getting a LRP.28?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 PM
willsavagexl

cuzz the stock K5.9 is crap. it dies in 7 gallons of fuel and the OWB are always gonne brake? is it the same thing for the LPR .28?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.