Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Confused about first 3D to buy

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Confused about first 3D to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:48 AM
sixinarow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about first 3D to buy

Hi all. It's been a while! I'm getting back into RC. I've been flying a UM Trojan for six months and while it's fun I'd like to move up to a 3D. The Trojan just doesn't do inverted like I want.

I'm sure it's been discussed plenty but I thought I'd ask again. What should I get? For outdoor and large indoor spaces I'm looking at the 3DHS, DW Foamies, Techone Hobbies planes. For indoor/outdoor I looked at the DW 20" that uses Parkzone guts with a brushless kit.

I'd like to buy one that I can purchase a motor/ESC with since I'm kind of lost on all this new tech. I don't mind a kit, as I like to build. Most state what motor/ESC/batt/servos to use but am unsure on what receiver to use. A DX6i will be used.

I'll keep researching. It's just overwhelming! So many brands and I don't know what is good and what is junk.

Needs:
Indoor/outdoor, focusing on outdoor. 30-36" span?
Preferably all foam
Something that handles a 2.4 receiver mated to a DX6i
Something I can learn 3D on but not be bored with it later

Thanks! It's good to be back!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:47 PM
ES CONTROL

Default RE: Confused about first 3D to buy

do you have a flight simulator?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:20 PM
sixinarow

No I don't have a sim. I'm fairly proficient at flying and inverted.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 PM
ES CONTROL

Go to a local hobby shop and test drive a Great Planes G6 simulator with all the expansion packs. 
Be shure to try the 51" AJ Slick on expansion pack No. 7 and you found your plane. 
9 sizes to choose from. 126" wing span down to a foamy.

You will need to fly, than sim., than fly, than sim. etc.       

Plan to crash many times . and to reach your goal years from now.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:32 PM
ES CONTROL

I am not there yet. But if I reached my goal, than what.

Go ahead and read my non electric 3D form : How long will it take to learn? And you will see Im no better than you.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 PM
AWDEVO8

ORIGINAL: sixinarow

Hi all. It's been a while! I'm getting back into RC. I've been flying a UM Trojan for six months and while it's fun I'd like to move up to a 3D. The Trojan just doesn't do inverted like I want.

I'm sure it's been discussed plenty but I thought I'd ask again. What should I get? For outdoor and large indoor spaces I'm looking at the 3DHS, DW Foamies, Techone Hobbies planes. For indoor/outdoor I looked at the DW 20'' that uses Parkzone guts with a brushless kit.

I'd like to buy one that I can purchase a motor/ESC with since I'm kind of lost on all this new tech. I don't mind a kit, as I like to build. Most state what motor/ESC/batt/servos to use but am unsure on what receiver to use. A DX6i will be used.

I'll keep researching. It's just overwhelming! So many brands and I don't know what is good and what is junk.

Needs:
Indoor/outdoor, focusing on outdoor. 30-36'' span?
Preferably all foam
Something that handles a 2.4 receiver mated to a DX6i
Something I can learn 3D on but not be bored with it later

Thanks! It's good to be back!
This is it...[link]http://www.twistedhobbys.com/RC_Factory_Planes.html[/link]
Old 11-26-2011, 09:12 PM
sixinarow

AWDEVO8, those look great, thanks very much!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Beachcomber

Hi sixinarow,
I love foamies and am sure you will also. The cool thing about 3D foamies is you can set them up tame (small control travel) and fly them like a trainer. Then as you progress, increase the control throw.

One general rule of thumb is that for a given wing span and wing area, the lighter the plane the better it is for 3D, because it's light and "floaty". The profile/flat foamies are the best at this. Light balsa is next best. Foamies are more forgiving in a mild crash, and easier to repair if crash results in damage. Oh, and light and floaty also means doesn't like much wind, so there is a compromise.

EPP foam is generally more flexible, and therefore more forgiving than the more stiff foam like EPO (Elaptor) or Depron. But the EPP foam TechOne is using is surprisingly firm and not too flexible. Just got the 39" Sukhoi for Christmas, so time will tell if it's forgiving in a crash.

As for a plane that handles 2.4 gHz receiver, any aircraft can fly with that so no limitation there. Just be aware that each brand of receiver can not talk to another brand of transmitter. The manufacturers have got us locked-in.

The 30 to 36" size is fine for outdoors, as long as wind is not too bad, less than 8 to 10 mph. Don't go smaller unless you have no wind at all. Type of plane does make a difference as to wind tolerance, but there is no substitution for size.