Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Starting over

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:44 PM
rc awesome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting over

My slash is a real basket case; the idiots and the hobby shop forgot to give me my transmission screws back, of course it's too late now. I'm going to be getting a team associated sc10 soon. The question I have is in regards to my brushless set up. Can I pretty much just bolt on what i have now? The esc is a castle mamba max pro 1/10 and the engine is a tacon 3650 with 4420kv. I'm pretty sure I've got a 18 tooth pinion also. This is a pretty nice set up IMO, so I want to use it. Will it work out?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 PM
wanna_be_racer

Default RE: Starting over

Should, yes. If it worked well in the Slash, should work fine in an SC10. Don't see why it wouldn't anyway. Unless it's a 4wd, but also if you have the Slash 4wd, then it still won't be a problem. Might have to adjust the gearing 1 or 2 teeth though on the pinion.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Yeah, the AE car would be a much better upgrade.

I've been subscribing here lately, and have been hearing that there's more complaints about Traxxas than any other brand, RTR or kit. Just my observation. Traxxas was inferior to a hobby-grade against any Tamiya off-roader BITD in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and if I ran across the chance to get a free Traxxas today, I'd give it away. IMHO, they're five steps below HPI and three steps below Tamiya. Junk and super cheap plastic.

Just my observation since, Traxxas came out on the scene BITD. I'd hardly trust their SC 4x4 truck platinum edition. Again - super cheap plastic.

You'll do much better with the AE car.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:00 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en

Yeah, the AE car would be a much better upgrade.

I've been subscribing here lately, and have been hearing that there's more complaints about Traxxas than any other brand, RTR or kit. Just my observation. Traxxas was inferior to a hobby-grade against any Tamiya off-roader BITD in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and if I ran across the chance to get a free Traxxas today, I'd give it away. IMHO, they're five steps below HPI and three steps below Tamiya. Junk and super cheap plastic.

Just my observation since, Traxxas came out on the scene BITD. I'd hardly trust their SC 4x4 truck platinum edition. Again - super cheap plastic.

You'll do much better with the AE car.
Yeah, time and time again Traxxas has disapointed me. I thought the slash would be decent, but it's had lots of problems, especially from the junk titan motors. I've gone threw 4 of those damn things, untill I upgraded to brushless, which is when the transmission gave out. I'm selling my nitro sport for 10$ because the frame bent and the motor never ran right. I bet i has a air leak or somthing, but that was the first nitro I'd had,so I didn't really know anything. Never again, Traxxas.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

You should enjoy AE's cars then. No car is bulletproof, and any good crash will break something, but AE's cars are quite tough. When I had my old RC10T, I had it for about three years before I bent the front kick plate on it. That was one tough truck!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 AM
xerxes

wut will becum of da slash? ders plenty of us traxxas lovers who woodnt mind havng it for 10$.
xerxes will evn giv u 20 + shpn
Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

My slash is a real basket case; the idiots and the hobby shop forgot to give me my transmission screws back, of course it's too late now. I'm going to be getting a team associated sc10 soon. The question I have is in regards to my brushless set up. Can I pretty much just bolt on what i have now? The esc is a castle mamba max pro 1/10 and the engine is a tacon 3650 with 4420kv. I'm pretty sure I've got a 18 tooth pinion also. This is a pretty nice set up IMO, so I want to use it. Will it work out?
Alot of people have went RPM on the front of our SC10's. I beat 2wd slashes regularly with the SC10, so it's a good truck.
Handles much better offroad than a 2wd slash does, even if you put the proline suspension kit on a 2wd slash, it doesnt
make it as good as the SC10. Close but no cigar.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

The LHS "forgot" to give you your transmission case screws...

And they're idiots?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:26 PM
wanna_be_racer

ORIGINAL: xerxes

wut will becum of da slash? ders plenty of us traxxas lovers who woodnt mind havng it for 10$.
xerxes will evn giv u 20 + shpn
I was under the impression that TBJwas the only one allowed to speak in third-person?

Old 11-21-2011, 01:00 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motor is a little underpowered, surprised nobody mentioned this yet. You should really be looking to go 550 or 4-pole 540.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

2w trucks get away fine with a 2 pole motor. ThunderbirdJunkie runs a Trintiy D3 10.5 in his 2w SCT, and it's a 2 pole 4200kv motor. The Tacon motors are no exception.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:31 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My slash 4x4 hasn't broken any parts at all in the two years i've raced it. The stock esc went at the end of this season and a couple nerf bars broke. But I have finished every race I've started. Believe me this truck has seen some crazy crashes. I'm not saying it is any better than the next truck But I don't see why it can't compete against others.

Oh by the way, I replaced the stock motor and esc with the castle sidewinder sc 3800 and am loving it.

KID EVIL!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

And they're idiots?
Ok TBJ, here is the full story... I take my slash in to get the the transmission taken care of because I didn't have any time, and to be honst I didn't feel like working on it. I got it back put it in a corner for a while and forgot about it, after probably 3 weeks I took it out to find other there were no screws in the case. I went back to the shop to find it with no RCs in it with everything gone. Damn place went out of business, only God knows where my transmission screws are.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:37 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

And they're idiots?
Ok TBJ, here is the full story... I take my slash in to get the the transmission taken care of because I didn't have any time, and to be honst I didn't feel like working on it. I got it back put it in a corner for a while and forgot about it, after probably 3 weeks I took it out to find other there were no screws in the case. I went back to the shop to find it with no RCs in it with everything gone. Damn place went out of business, only God knows where my transmission screws are.
Wow - sorry to hear about that. Did you get new screws?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:06 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The LHS ''forgot'' to give you your transmission case screws...

And they're idiots?
Oh. That sucks.

Get an SC10 RS.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:15 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

2w trucks get away fine with a 2 pole motor. ThunderbirdJunkie runs a Trintiy D3 10.5 in his 2w SCT, and it's a 2 pole 4200kv motor. The Tacon motors are no exception.
x2

Id guestimate my evader at over 40mph on 2s with my 3930kv tacon. And its just luke warm after some speed runs. Heck of a little motor and there definately is no need for a 4 pole in it[8D]
Old 11-29-2011, 03:09 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en

And they're idiots?
Wow - sorry to hear about that. Did you get new screws?

I couldn't find any online, and now I no longer have a LHS near me......

Old 11-29-2011, 03:55 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

I've never bothered to look at any Traxxas instruction manual, but if it's written well like AE and Tamiya, it should list the size or sizes of the screws that you need. Look it up in the manual, and then go online to find the matching size.

Hope that helps
Old 11-29-2011, 03:57 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Actually, better yet, if you can find out what sizes and type screws you need, drop me a PM, and if I have them in my huge box o' spares, I'll mail them out to you for free.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:49 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

They're 3 x 23mm buttonhead screws. Capheads will work if he uses a washer.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

I see. I know I don't have anything that long. 3x18mm is the longest I've got. How many does he need for the tranny?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Either 4 or 5, don't remember specifics.