Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Hokie Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

ORIGINAL: rgreen24

A lot of us go out of our way to put stickers all over our plane, and most are not sponsored pilots. I have done this myself on many occasions. The questions is why do we do it...????
I think it's a NASCAR thing.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 PM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine from today as it prepared for its maiden flight. Flew awesome, tracks very nicely, I need to get used to, and adjust for, the P-factor and/or gyro effect as I pull into uplines, but had a great time. HD Hero 2 footage of the maiden after I get a chance to edit it. It was a head-mounted camera and lost the plane off frame a few times, but did OK. The Hacker Q60 did beautifully, pretty much unlimited vertical power, I never felt like I didn't have enough power as I have occasionally with the Scorpion 4025-10 in my Osiris.

Peter+
Old 11-25-2011, 08:32 PM
g_mkoch

Pvogel I like your field. Where did you balance the plane out I'm about 177mm from the LE.
Also here are some pictures of my father's vanquish.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67293.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1691346  
Old 11-25-2011, 10:11 PM
pvogel

I like my field too :-) http://www.sccmas.org

I haven't measured my CG location, I'm still playing with it, my original CG (positioned very conservatively right in front of the wing tube) was just a bit too far forward, took 4 clicks of up elevator to keep the nose level at cruise with the expected significant amount of push when inverted. Second flight I shifted the battery pack back about 1/2 an inch and was much happier with the flight characteristics, but I'll probably fiddle with it a few more flights to see where I like it.

Still processing on youtube, but here's the sportsman sequence after the maiden, my worst landing of the day, captured on video!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwDcSv4Ia2s[/youtube]

Peter+
Old 11-26-2011, 10:29 AM
g_mkoch

Nice Video although you camera man looses the top part of the box. What kind of settings are you using on the ESC, also how many mah are you putting on the batteries after a full sportsman sequence, so far I'm using about 2500mah's.

Happy Landings
Old 11-26-2011, 01:15 PM
pvogel

Hi g_,

ICE2HV120, fixed endpoints (very important for pattern, at least at contests), outrunner mode, so far I've put between 2200 and 2600 milliamps back in (you put amps in, not amp-hours), pulling 75.9 amps peak, 2945 watts peak, 580-630 watts average for a sportsman sequence.

And yeah, sorry about losing the top of the box, it's a tradeoff on these cameras between matching to our field of vision so that the plane is visible in the frame (when it's in the frame) which means that if you don't have the head mount perfectly adjusted to match your field of view, the plane sometimes flys out of the frame, and having a wide view that ensures the plane is always in frame, but so small as to be effectively invisible. I like the HD Hero 2 precisely because I can narrow the field of view to match my own, now I just need to dial in the head mount and remember to move my head, not just my eyes :-)

Peter+
Old 11-26-2011, 05:39 PM
remmulp
My Feedback: (6)

Peter,

Nice field is right; close to the 101? Great location.

Mike

Old 11-30-2011, 02:33 AM
David Leitch

Hi. A couple of photos showing installation by Graeme Allen, of Neu geared F3A motor. Procedure was to generously glass a plywood disc into the nose and then install the Hyde nose ring. The Hyde rear support mounts in the firewall. In contrast to the Hacker C50 installation shown nearer the front of this thread there doesn't seem to be the need to install an extra former.
Of course we've yet to see if it works. This is a slow build for me, not helped by the hold up with good old CC and their HV controllers. Gone back to a Jeti. Dont really think Jeti and Neu play all that well together but we shall see.

Name:	Jh16302.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1693322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18659.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1693323  
Old 12-03-2011, 05:10 PM
sandyspad
My Feedback: (2)

I flew my #2 Vanquish the 1st of Dec, got in four flights, it flies way better than the #1 did, probably because I took a month to build it and 2 days to put #1 together. Got a new Castle 80 V2 in #2 and had a couple of issues with the factory default settings, lost power two different flights, 2 beep code that my batteries were low, not so, checked 41 volts. Got to get it programed. Flew two advanced rounds with it and it was like it was on rails. 1 click of up trim nothing else. Guess it will be a while before we fly again around here, winter seems to have arrived.

Mike
Old 12-05-2011, 07:24 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

can someone tell me how long extensions you will need for the elevator servos, and also where do you get those velcro straps
Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 AM
jayjayneri

You will need 1 meter (39-40 inches) extensions and you can buy the velcro straps at hardware stores.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 AM
g_mkoch

Depending on where you place you receiver Irecommend using 48 inch extentions.

Happy Landings
Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

does futaba make a 48 in, tower only shows a 40 in one
Old 12-05-2011, 12:05 PM
g_mkoch

MPI makes some HD twisted wire 48" extensions
Old 12-05-2011, 12:10 PM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

I used Heavy Duty Cermark for Futaba in the length of 48".
Old 12-06-2011, 06:48 AM
jayjayneri

48" will work for the Vanquish since it can take the extra weight. This will give you more options on where to put your receiver. But for planes that are near the weight limit, 40" extensions are the only viable option.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:42 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

anyone interested in trading a Kenny lauter built Eclipse with only 20 flights for a Vanquish in similar condition??

Name:	Ge96076.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	1696668  
Old 12-10-2011, 03:35 AM
danamania

It has been a few weeks since I've flown my 2m Vanquish (life gets in the way LOL) and just measured the resulting CG from some awesome trim flights that Ed Alt and Joe Lachowski were kind enough to put on her (thanks again guys).  It's now appx 181mm to 7 1/8" or there abouts.  It flew much better there for us than the 177mm CG from first maiden flights.  Thanks again to all on this thread who posted about their set-up and settings, very helpful to get me started.  This ARF is an awesome value IMO and I feel that I don't have to worry about picking-up bad habits while building skills at the sportsman level of pattern.  The onus is now on me to practice.  Kudos to EF for eeking this one out onto the market!
Old 12-10-2011, 04:32 AM
doogiehl

Hi Dave,
How close are you to finishing. I have been stuck working on 2 planes for the Kids to take on holiday......multiple FunCubxand Addiction X............. I finally got the Jeti opto 99 to 3.5months to get here,,,,,,lost at sea. I just need to get the servo extension in and the do the final incidence setup and Iam done. I just got the H9digital incidence meter so I am set to go......oh also stick the other 1/2 of the stickers on too. I dont think I ll maiden it at WRCS, its too wet and boggy there at present. A friends turf business has property in Freemans Reach most likely site for maiden.
Let me know when your rearing completion and well catch up.
Regards Hanns
Old 12-12-2011, 03:57 PM
barnowljenx

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

A request for Arch if you are still watching this thread.  I have just flown my Vanquish but actually it is second hand and the previous owner had flown 80 flights with it and said he had it trimmed.  However, with the CG where he had it and without touching the stab or wing incidence there is significant roll in knife edge as well as a pitch towards the canopy.  Arch, could ou just give out your final CG postion as well as your wing and stab settings please?

Many thanks.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:55 PM
rix

I am going thru the trim process with mine as well. Once I was able to get my ailerons trimmed (zeroed out) by adjusting the wing panels, knife-edge roll coupling went away, so work on that. Fly it it, trim for straight and level flight, land it and look at where your ailerons are positioned. Adjust one of the wings panels to the direction the aileron is positioned from your trim flight (up or down) trim offset. I always tried to adjust to the side that would give me more positive in the wing if I was still carrying some up elevator. You need to adjust one of them so it may as well be to the positive side if that's what your airplane is telling you it wants.

I set my wings to .5 positive and stabs to 0 initially and then just started flying it and adjusting it. I have not measured anything from this initial setting. I am just flying and adjusting. I have not moved the stabs so they are still at zero. My plane does not seem to be very cg sensitive so I just moved the batteries around until the pitch coupling in knife-edge went away. It sounds as though you are a bit nose heavy so start moving your packs back, but get your wing .5 positive first. Don't be shy about moving them a good distance with this plane as mine showed little or no difference moving the recommended 1/2 inch at a time. I suspect that I am a little more than .5 positive in the wings as I have had several flights before I was able to get the up trim out of it by putting more positive in, moving the batteries around...etc. Getting that up trim out of it removes the pull to canopy on vertical up lines and respectively, down lines. I do not think you can get the pull to the top in the down line out completely, at least I have not been able to at this point. I still have a very slight up trim going on so that's what is causing it, but the plane seems happy every where else so I am going to leave it alone for the next several flights or so before I move the stabs to the elevators position. I am close with mine so I am just going to start flying it through the routines and look for any final adjustments. It usually takes me around 100 flights before I feel confident with the flight performance. Once you get this plane flying neutral or very close, you are really going to enjoy flying it. Once neutral, rolls, point rolls, holding 45's...are stupid easy. You just need to get that coupling out of it by adjusting the wings and cg. Stay out of the radio mix, as this plane will trim neutral for you with a little effort. I have zero mix in mine other than the throttle to elevator mix for the pull to the top in down lines. I am going to work on getting rid of that as well.

Rick
Old 12-13-2011, 01:11 AM
barnowljenx

Rick

Thank you for your advice.  I had thought that the design concept for the Vanquish was a forward CG but I see that you have had significant benefits by moving it further aft.  I will follow your advice but it may be slow going as we have a couple of weeks of stormy weather to enjoy(!) and may not get the chance to fly again till after Christmas!

Peter
Old 12-13-2011, 06:40 AM
rix

Actually I do not think I am that far aft on the cg, I just move the weight around until the plane told me what it liked. I am not much on following the numbers once the initial base settings have been set. Just do one thing at a time and be patient with it. Sometimes it seems you are not getting anywhere with it, that's the time to give a friend a call and place a second set of eyes on it.

Rick
Old 12-13-2011, 08:50 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: barnowljenx

A request for Arch if you are still watching this thread. I have just flown my Vanquish but actually it is second hand and the previous owner had flown 80 flights with it and said he had it trimmed. However, with the CG where he had it and without touching the stab or wing incidence there is significant roll in knife edge as well as a pitch towards the canopy. Arch, could ou just give out your final CG postion as well as your wing and stab settings please?

Many thanks.
I ended up with slightly more than .5 on the wing and left the stab at 0. My CG ended up right near the front of the wing tube. As others have stated, you can move the batteries quite a bit and not see a dramatic change. That should get you very close and then adjust from there.

Arch
Old 12-13-2011, 10:02 AM
barnowljenx

Arch - very many thanks.  I have really enjoyed reading your blog and it made me chase after a Vanquish.  Now that I have one, life is looking up!  Just the lousy British winter weather to contend with!  Summer wasn't much better either!

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.