Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Brown B-3

Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM
GM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brown B-3

In the mid 30s, Lawrence Brown built several one off racing planes, probably the best known is the Brown B-2, Miss Los Angeles. Later he built the Brown B-3 with enclosed cockpit. I have read it was actually in the film "Casablanca" but also read it was destroyed in a fire. I would love to scratch build a 1/4 -1/3 scale model but information on the plane is pretty scarce. In the 70s, Jack Stafford made a kit for quarter midget racing (.15 ci) and I actually have one of those I bought new. Is there a source for photos and an accurate 3 view available somewhere?
Gordie
Old 11-29-2011, 06:25 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Brown B-3

Gordie, "The Air Racer" by Charles A. Mendehall has three view drawings of the B1 and B2 on pages 82 and 83. Each one is on a 8 1/2 by 11 page. Dan.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much info on the B-3... contact Henry Haffke of Gee Bee fame and fortune! He is a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to raceplanes! I built a control line B-1 using Wm F. Kerkas' drawings. It is very accurate to the drawings with internal bracing and such. I still have it. It can be seen in my Gallery. Mr. Kerka drew many of the racers, if not all of them. I have most. When they were available I don't remember him listing a B-3. There is a pic of the B-3 on page 301 in Schmid and Weaver's EAA book 'The Golden Age of Air Racing'. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:57 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Try this source for a set of plans: http://scaleplansusa.com/
scroll half way down the page and you will find a set of plans
availalbe from Dick Katz in quarter scale. G & L Hobbies has
a glass fuselage and foam wing kit in quarter scale also:
http://www.glhobbies.com/B2_Racer/b2racer.html

Bill D.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36836.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1693335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61363.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1693336  
Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 PM
GM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bad guys. I am lookimg ofr the Brown B-3, not the B-1 or B-2. I have a very nice fiberglass Brown B-2 with many hours on it and am looking for something much more rare. The B-3 fits the bill but information is REALLY scarce. Thanks for the ideas.
Gordie