Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

1/6 Redcat Shredder Newbie Questions!

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

1/6 Redcat Shredder Newbie Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Fastclass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/6 Redcat Shredder Newbie Questions!

Hello everyone, a month ago I purchased a redcat shredder, 80A 1500kv 4s and love it but now have been infected by the mod bug...
Click image for larger version

Name:	FTY.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	2236835" alt="" />
It's very durable except for the body! It first started off as a green decal filled body, then sprayed truck bed liner inside, then debadged, then sprayed exterior with truck liner, and duct tape(also used flame duct tape as mud flaps,hilariously simple and cost effective!) in between breaks.
I'm wondering if I should get larger capacity lipos or run a better esc and motor. There's a guy on youtube that installed a mamba monster 2200 combo but it's meant for 1/8th scale.
I've added larger wheels (big joe with axial beadlocks) and also added leds front back and inside with seperate lipos, so it adds up to about 20lbs compared to the stock 10lbs so maybe 8th scale motors will suffer? I have no idea.
Another route I'm thinking of getting a 150a esc and run 6s lipo but don't if the stock 1500kv would handle it, there are no specs for this motor, any help would be awesome!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:14 AM
xerxes

Default RE: 1/6 Redcat Shredder Newbie Questions!

good lord. looks mean. ur guna hav2 get a 150a esc regardless. as 4 batterys & motors, lehner & kershaw designs make brushless motors 4 large scales setup 2 run on 4s, all da way up2 8s! but i think a hobbywing xerun 150a esc & 2000kv or mamba monstr & 2200 wood b plenty. it wood b way faster den stock, even on 4s.
albeit regeard 4 temps.

now 4 da tech stuff. wut kinda temps u gettn motor & esc wise? a set of good 5000mah 2s batts will add alot of runtime & a few mph. but i think ud destroy ur motor or thermal ur esc.
it all depends on how fast u wana go & how much u wana spend
Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a safe bet would be the 150a ezrun with 980kv motor.
thats what comes in the 1/5 scale redcat XB-E. it probly weighs the same if not more than your modded shredder.

larger MAH lipos will help either way(if you stick with the stock system or upgrade)

if you stay stock, you can get turnigy or skylipo 2s 5000mah lipo packs. the skylipo ones are sold on www.hobbypartz.com. cheap but pretty good quality.

if you upgrade, then just get the 3s versions of said packs.

those tires look pretty sick! how long have you had them on the truck? I would think they would put more stress on the stub axles/hubs

i have read that the stock motor will handle 6s....but i wouldnt do it myself. i had temps on mine on 4s 5000mah packs high enough. since you have added weight and want to add 6s power....i would think the stock motor wouldnt last long.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Fastclass

Temps are good about 130F since it's getting cooler outside, the tires have been on for 5 runs and no issues yet. Those <1000kv motors are much bigger in diameter, the stock is 40mm vs 55mm. The 150a ezrun esc sounds like a good idea compared to mamba monster which is more than double in price esc alone! I was looking at leopard 1/8 low kv motors and just don't know if they'd have enough strength compared to the 1/5 size with same kv?
Anyone know if these would work they're both the same?
http://www.nitrorcx.com/77p-lbp3674-b-5d-1300kv.html
or
http://www.nitrorcx.com/77p-lbp3674-5d-1300kv.html
Also I've looked at hobby partz and their 1/8 motors are 44mm so they will just fit.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 AM
xerxes

thos r 36mm can. stay away frum motors dat hav names lyk 3674 or 3675. u can fit a 40mm can. do it.
look 4 motors lyk 4075 or 4074
Old 11-13-2011, 11:58 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

honestly, if you temps arnt bad, then id say stick with the stock system.

get some higher MAH 2s lipo packs.

Maybe add the motor heatsink and fan(redcat has them) to compensate for longer runtimes. i put them on my earthquake 8e and dropped motor temps by 20 degrees!

if you up the ESC and motor and run 6s, you may just find the drivetrain wont handle it. it was never meant to.....so it might just end up costing you alot more money.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:47 PM
countstevula

Are the wheels offset enough to clear the turnbuckles or did you use some type of extended hubs?
ORIGINAL: Fastclass

Hello everyone, a month ago I purchased a redcat shredder, 80A 1500kv 4s and love it but now have been infected by the mod bug...
" alt="" />
It's very durable except for the body! It first started off as a green decal filled body, then sprayed truck bed liner inside, then debadged, then sprayed exterior with truck liner, and duct tape(also used flame duct tape as mud flaps,hilariously simple and cost effective!) in between breaks.
I'm wondering if I should get larger capacity lipos or run a better esc and motor. There's a guy on youtube that installed a mamba monster 2200 combo but it's meant for 1/8th scale.
I've added larger wheels (big joe with axial beadlocks) and also added leds front back and inside with seperate lipos, so it adds up to about 20lbs compared to the stock 10lbs so maybe 8th scale motors will suffer? I have no idea.
Another route I'm thinking of getting a 150a esc and run 6s lipo but don't if the stock 1500kv would handle it, there are no specs for this motor, any help would be awesome!

Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Fastclass

No clearance issue but the stock 9 oz servo is not enough, waiting for stronger one in the mail. It's unbelievable how this truck is just a lengthened 8th scale! No complaints though just wish I had this truck years ago!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 PM
countstevula

what rims are they??
Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Fastclass

Axial bead locks (24 screws for each wheel) and Big Joe tires. They have a lot of grab compared to the stock nubbies.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 AM
countstevula

more pics of ur truck please!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Fastclass

Heres one at least, I used a paint marker on the tires and so far after one run it`s holding up. Also got rid of the flame duct tape and made mudflaps out of black and chrome duct tape (most cost effective!)