Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:51 AM
etopsflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, The Offical Thread

Vava

I bought a kit Nitrage, not the ready to run version. I had trouble with one of the shock's cap coming off and losing the oil. It happened twice but never since.

Other than that's unless you're intending change the settings, it should be okay to run out the box. Just make sure you run it in by heat cycle method, NOT by the Tamiya instructions. You'll have a stronger and longer lasting engine.

Cheers

Etops
Old 10-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Atomika

Hey guys, haven't been on here in awhile. Anybody have any problems with their "Handy Start" ? Mine started acting up in July. You had to hit the button at jus the right angle for it to work. Now it doesn't work at all. I took it apart and did some testing. it seems to be something in the circuit board. Any Ideas on how to fix it? I've been using a drill in the mean time but its jus a pain in the butt as everything for my nitrage fit nicely in my toolbox and drill is way to big.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:53 AM
coalminer

Hi Atomica.

I had a starter fail on me too, but it was mechanical failure of the gears inside. Good news is, I saved the pcb from the old starter and your welcome to have it, I can post on to you if you wish. I have two more starters complete, so I wont miss the pcb. I have pm'd you for address.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10702.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1679713  
Old 10-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Atomika

Hells yeah dude! I PMed my add to ya. Thanx Coalminer.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:22 PM
hjtrbo

Got it going. Fired first start after a year and a half and it ran sweet as with no dramas. Even picked up the rear and smoked over the tyres! Installed the HPI hubs with HPI 7" wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64500.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1680215  
Old 10-29-2011, 04:15 PM
coalminer

Thats still a good looking bugger of a motor you got there HJ, keep it running
Old 10-29-2011, 11:46 PM
hjtrbo

Thanks.

I used to chew through the diffs like crazy. This time round I have replaced the ENTIRE drive train. Clutch, clutch bell,ALL drive line bearings, drive shafts, all three diffs and diff cases, axles, new wheels etc. Pretty much have no vibration when i'm revving on the starter box. I used to have alot. The diffs don't get hot like they used too. FIngers crossed it lasts for 2 gallons, because i'm going to thrash the living hell out of it.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 AM
drewmaloy
My Feedback: (7)

finally at the end of this thread! and no i didn't read it all haha

hopefully i get to post pics soon!

is there anything new thats know about the nitrage? compatible parts? thanks
Old 11-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Atomika

Hey Coalminer, Got the PCB in the mail the other day. (I dig the packaging, you can tell ur a hobbist Got er soldered in and it works like a charm. thanx again dude.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 PM
coalminer

ORIGINAL: Atomika

Hey Coalminer, Got the PCB in the mail the other day. (I dig the packaging, you can tell ur a hobbist Got er soldered in and it works like a charm. thanx again dude.
Glad it was of some help to you mate, any time. Old Tamyas never die.....they just keep on layin rubber.

Coalminer
Old 11-28-2011, 01:09 AM
jupman

Hi All.
New here, so be gentle!
My buddy and i just purchased Tamiya Nitrages a couple of months ago. We have finished running them in now and been to the local track twice. Still trying to get the hang of things.....but having a great time.
On my last track trip, i noticed something strange about my Nitrage. If I brake hard and turn in for a corner and then try and accelarate hard out of the corner, there is no response from the Truggy. After about 1 second the throttle kicks in and off she goes again. I can reproduce the problem, but only by braking hard, turning and then trying to accelerate again. "normal" driving there is no issues.
Any ideas what could be causing this issue?
We are looking at putting some hop ups on the Nitrage as well. What would you guys recommend as being good value for money hop ups? We are looking specifically at the front brake set and stabiliser set.
At some point I would like to fit some Pro-Line Powerstroke Shocks as well.
Thanks in advance guys!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:38 PM
coalminer

Welcome Jupman and your pal.

Your gonna have some great fun with the Nitrage. hop ups, well , to be frankly honest, the Nitrage does not need a great deal of hop ups, she runs just fine sraight out of the box. the front disc brake is a must, its cheap and easy to fit and gives double the braking power. I have fitted the anti roll bar kit, but to be honest I dont think it really changes the handling that much, but again its cheap and worth a go. Some folk on here have fitted the two speed option kit, I however have not so I cant comment there, but some that have fitted the two speeder have reported that it can fry the rear diff if it is not set up correctly, but hey I would still give it a go some day.

In my opinion this model is a great hard wearing and super handling car, the Ofna 32 engine however is weak,not power wise, far from it, I mean its life cycle, but that is only my opinion, treat the engine with care, "after run oil it" every time and run it on the rich side and she will last better. Other than that , I love this model. the only spares that I have really needed to fit, is new clutch shoes, get your self a spare set if you can.

Regarding the shocks you mentioned, I cant comment, but I have fitted the stiffer yellow springs from the Nitrages predecessor the Tamiya TNX and they are more robust for jumps etc. The car is rock solid, I have two of these and have put both through their paces and never caused any suspension damage despite still using the stock plastic arms, this car is indestructable mate, just look after the engine is all I can say.

Regarding the power on, coming out of a brake and turn, it sounds to me like you have a low speed needle setting issue there . Try adjusting the low speed needle a tad either way, but only about an 1/8th of a turn at a time and see how she goes.

welcome to the site and enjoy the nitrage

Coalminer
Old 11-29-2011, 12:17 AM
jupman

Thanks very much for the reply.

Brake set and stabilisers are definitly going to be our first purchases.  
Will get the 2 speed transmission as well, but first wanna learn how to drive the car properly as it is!  The 2 speed transmission will be more inclined for tar track driving.  As we are primarily on a dirt track the 1 speed is perfect.

Also looking at the Heatsink Hop Up.....i like the colour!  

My mate has got a TNX so we are going to change the shocks over and see if it makes a difference before we spend the money.

Going to look at my low speed needle and see if it makes a difference....thanks!

On our last track visit on the weekend my buddy's nitrage was not performing as well as mine....engine sounded like it was bogging down....So he fiddled with the screw adjusters on the engine.....and now it wont start!!  The joys of being a novice!!!
Should get it sorted this week and then next week we are planning a day trip to the track to practice and practice some more!!!

Thanks again for a good site with some good info!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:05 AM
sparksy82

YES the 2 speed is not bad it takes the center diff out but get the brake hop up cos with the 2 speed its not pulling up has good any more lol and the sway bar works not that well but will help . sorry for my bad spelling
Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 AM
jupman

I have heard people complaining about the turning circle of the Nitrage.  I cant say it's a hige problem for me at the moment though.  A guy at the local track suggested i change the tyres.....and maybe get a stronger steering servo....

Any of you had any experience with improving the turning circle?

I have seen these servo's...I have no idea if they are good or not - but the figures show it's better than the standard servo on the nitrage.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 AM
pmacpictures

Hi Jupman,

I have the sway bars, TNX yellow springs with 500 weight shock oil, Shock Socks, diff oil (10, 30, 5 when the centre diff was in), OFNA Mutilator exhaustand now a 2 speed gear box but still haven't run it enough to see how much fun it really is..

I also just put in a new Steering servo. It is a cheapy so we will see how long it lasts. Link to video of difference with wheels off the ground (the differnce between them when it is the ground is amazing).

Hope you have fun with the nitrage. It is awesome.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 AM
jupman

Thanks for that video.  Definitly looks like a decent difference!!

Did you find a big difference in the handling once you installed the TNX Springs?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:15 AM
pmacpictures

the springs gave a little more clearance but the best thing was that it gave a heap more stability for landing jumps.

Damage so far is one broken lower front arm.  My fault as I landed wrong and flipped front to back 4 times.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 AM
sparksy82

yes the stock springs are way to soft i must say and the stock tyers and not that good cos there thin and brake ezy lol i have heeps of holls in my'n and its not that old lol
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67...34/key_/tm.htmmy'n is the 14th post down and you can see the springs are way to soft lol
ok i have tot told any one this lol i got my'n cheap cos a mate war having over heating problems to i got it for $150 lol and gone hop up mad and its been good
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
nitrageowner

Hi coalminer, I have a question that I hope you answer. I have been having so many issues with my nitrage engine, such as whene I had that issue where the pin and spring starter assembly the pin keep getting flush due to that the starter would not grab, and now whene I take the engine apart and try to cycle the piston with my hand the piston is catching so much friction I almost have to clench my teeth whene trying to cycle the piston. If I were to purchase a piston with the rod and piston sleeve for $87 will this leave me worry free? as far as the issues of the engine. *note:the piston have now is somewhat pitted and the engine will not start due to the fricton between the piston and the sleeve. Please let me know all youre thoughts on this issue.....?????
Old 12-04-2011, 11:24 PM
jupman

I installed some hop ups this weekend.  Fitted the stabiliser set, Front brake set and Aluminium heat sink.

Only got a chance to test the stabilisers as i fitted them first and i must say i noticed a fair bit of improvement in the handling.  That being said, i only tested it on a grass field, haven't tried it on a track yet.
What i noticed is that when it hops over bumps it's far more stable on landing.  Which is great, especially at higher speeds.

Looking forward to testing the front brakes - i think i am going to need to adjust the settings though to get it 100%.

We are heading to the track on Friday for some much needed practice so I will see how it brakes and handles then!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:20 PM
coalminer

ORIGINAL: nitrageowner

Hi coalminer, I have a question that I hope you answer. I have been having so many issues with my nitrage engine, such as whene I had that issue where the pin and spring starter assembly the pin keep getting flush due to that the starter would not grab, and now whene I take the engine apart and try to cycle the piston with my hand the piston is catching so much friction I almost have to clench my teeth whene trying to cycle the piston. If I were to purchase a piston with the rod and piston sleeve for $87 will this leave me worry free? as far as the issues of the engine. *note:the piston have now is somewhat pitted and the engine will not start due to the fricton between the piston and the sleeve. Please let me know all youre thoughts on this issue.....?????
Hi nitrageowner

Sounds like you have two problems there pal, firstly you mention the starter pin not grabbing, this problem is more likely to be the one-way bearing not biting on the starter shaft, try lubing up the bearing with a little penetrating oil to free it up and then grease it a little, failing that a new one-way bearing may be needed .

the piston should be tight in the cylinder sleeve when the piston is at the top due to the very slightly tapered shape of the sleeve and piston, but it should not stop you from starting the engine from the pullstart, unless it is hydraulically locked by excess fuel in the piston. This does some times happen , the best way to tell is to remove or loosen the glow plug and then try and pullstart it, if its still tight then you have a problem .
You mention pitting of the piston !!, Is there any side scoring of the piston at all ?. I have had on one occasion where the crank rear bearing splintered from just one ball and the fragment passed up the side of the piston and sleeve scoring it, making it impossible to start, it also must have been bouncing around in the top of the piston too and caused bad pitting....mechanical pitting by a loose particle in there , yours may be pitting due to over heating. You should be able to turn your engine over by the flywheel , feeling some resistance just before top dead centre, if you can not turn it over with the flywheel and its getting stuck tight, you have a problem, I cant say for definate that a new piston and sleeve is the answer , but take it appart and have another good look at the state of the piston and sleeve. How old is the engine, has it done a alot of miles,?? The engines only have a limited life and dont last forever. It depends on the wear of other parts in the engine, if the crank, the bearings and the conrod are also shot, then just buying a new sleeve and piston is false economy and a whole new engine may be the answer.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:24 PM
jupman

Since my last post I have had couple of frustrating track visits.
Initially I really struggled to get the engine tuned correctly, but eventually I seemed to get it right.

The next visit was less successful however.  I would accelerate down the straight, brake and turn into the corner and then be unable to accelerate out of the corner.  I press the throttle and there is no response until I switch off the radio and switch it on again.  Then it works until I brake again and everything stops working again.

I have previously posted about a delay I experienced after braking and the throttle activating,  this is is the same issue - just worse now!

Upon further investigation, I have discovered that this is all tied into the fail safe mechanism! For some reason when I brake for over a second the fail safe activates.  I can recreate the problem with the engine off as well. I apply brakes and after a second the servo freezes for about 2 seconds then I can accelerate again.  You can actually see the LED on the receiver flash when the fail safe activates.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this? I have tried to recalibrate the fail safe but all it changes is the position of the fail safe (brake / neutral ) not the point at which it actually activates.

Seriously annoying! Any help would be appreciated. Just wish I could turn the fail safe off completely!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 AM
Atomika

K guys heres the situation. My truck its hella sloppy at the track. I have a few mods to on my list but would like assistance on what else I need to do to be able to have my truck function well at the track.

So far on my list are:
Stiffer Springs
Front breaks
Sway bars.
& wheel extenter/adapters and truggy tires.

I'm wondering what fluids I should put in my diffs to give it more punch. My buddy has a Mutilator which runs the same .32 but his performs soo much better than mine.

any help would be greatly appriciated.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:29 PM
fastmaxxcooper
My Feedback: (5)

hows the steering on yours? Mine was getting much worse until I replaced the stock steering servo. I had almost no steering!

Also put the thickest center diff fluid you can in the truggy. It is an undersized diff that doesn't respond well to normal viscosities.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.