Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

exceed rc

Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 AM
wichers00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exceed rc

so i have just got into the rc gas boat scene and wanted to share my experience with this cheap brand boat as a first boat. its the 51" exceed deep vee with a clutchless 26cc. i will have to say with very little knowledge online about this boat other than its junk/waist of money comments. so im gonna give my take.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0318.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	2236813
first day drop off. i unpacked the boat out the box and all i had to was add the rx and program it to the tx. after that i got online and researched what to do before a run. so i greased the flex cable and i checked all screws to be tight except for one. the rudder clamp for the servo rod was stripped out so i have another boat that i bought at the same time and robbed the same part off it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0319.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	2236814
today was the first start up and man i was stoked when it fired up. i tuned up the jets and and set the idle and ran it for a few minutes. the only issue here i had was the throttle linkage was hitting itself so i had to change the way they ran the links because it would not idle down enough.
http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...=VIDEO0013.mp4

all and all i have 530 bucks in the boat and only had to make a few adjustments to make it run right. the hull feels real good and balanced to me but what do i know. the lower half of the boat feels nice and strong with a thick bottom. the top of the boat on the other hand does feel alittle thin for my liking. it has turn locks on the back and the radio box is very neatly setup with plenty of room.
so please let me know what yall think and anything i need to look for as i go along.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:22 AM
wichers00

Default RE: exceed rc

so today was a big learning lesson. this thing is a handful all by yourself for the first time out. i did alot of fishing for the boat cause it stalled. the runs really good though, its alot faster than expected prob 35 to 45mph but the pond i was running in was not very big so i was having to hold it back alot. the solder joint on the flex cable broke cause i let it touch the bottom. i re brazed it and all good. thats all i really got to do today. i didnt get any video i had enough on my hands with the boat.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Painful to watch that video. Looks like you have some sort of fan blower in there to move the air around. You do realize it is a water cooled motor. I dare say you were on the verge of a melt down with all that revving and no cooling. Be sure to have a tank above the boat and syphon some water through the motor next time you want to run her on the bench for more than 20 or 30 seconds

Theres plenty of small details where fault can be picked with some aspects of the boat but at the end of the day as long as it all works and runs with no issues for months on end it will gain favor. Time will tell.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your opinion of your new addition.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:30 PM
hendocap

You do realize that there's no cooling fins on top of that cylinder, much less behind the cooling cap so that fan is not doing anything to benefit cooling the cylinder. Like Matt said , get a bottle of water and hang it overhead like and IV and hook up your hoses. Motor sounds good, I only watch half the Video. It was painful to watch.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
wichers00

thanks for yalls comments, yes it was a fan and the engine never got to hot to touch the exhaust didnt even really get hot.. the motor never over heated ever. i ran it today and it ran fine. one question i do have is the prop. the website says the prop is 79mm with a 1.4 pitch which sounds wacked out from what i looked at other props. i see alot of people with 50ish" monos runs a 7015/2 to 7016/3 so im thinking of changing the prop in some time. what do yall suggest.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 PM
hendocap

Be careful with that battery pack also, a hard bump could dislodge one of those AA and runaway boat.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id check all your o rings in the header flange and pipe because im pretty sure they will have melted somewhat and you will now be leaking water in the boat when your running ?.Also level up the stinger so the props running parralel to the hulls keel ,how you have it is pushing the bow down a lot so your losing a lot of speed for one thing.
Mart
Old 12-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: wichers00

one question i do have is the prop. the website says the prop is 79mm with a 1.4 pitch which sounds wacked out from what i looked at other props. i see alot of people with 50ish'' monos runs a 7015/2 to 7016/3 so im thinking of changing the prop in some time. what do yall suggest.
Is 79mm a typo (suppose to read 70mm?) as 79mm is not so common (usually jump to 80mm). Going to depend on how well the boat is performing as to whether you need another prop or not. Acceleration and top end are both variables. Certainly never hurts to have additional props on hand to try as a way of seeking out more speed - though not always do you see increases in speed. As Mart mentioned - adjusting the drive will find you some free speed. Also as Hendocap mentioned - put a cable tie around the battery pack to ensure no cells can pop out of the tray (a safety item there). Also be sure there is sufficient foam in the hatch (amazing how much they like to swim when the water is deep). And lastly - looks like your cooling line above your exhaust might be kinked - make sure you have enough free hose there or you will lose the motor.

Post some video of her in action - we might be able to see how well it is going with the prop you have and help with some suggestions from there.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:42 AM
wichers00

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

one question i do have is the prop. the website says the prop is 79mm with a 1.4 pitch which sounds wacked out from what i looked at other props. i see alot of people with 50ish'' monos runs a 7015/2 to 7016/3 so im thinking of changing the prop in some time. what do yall suggest.
Is 79mm a typo (suppose to read 70mm?) as 79mm is not so common (usually jump to 80mm). Going to depend on how well the boat is performing as to whether you need another prop or not. Acceleration and top end are both variables. Certainly never hurts to have additional props on hand to try as a way of seeking out more speed - though not always do you see increases in speed. As Mart mentioned - adjusting the drive will find you some free speed. Also as Hendocap mentioned - put a cable tie around the battery pack to ensure no cells can pop out of the tray (a safety item there). Also be sure there is sufficient foam in the hatch (amazing how much they like to swim when the water is deep). And lastly - looks like your cooling line above your exhaust might be kinked - make sure you have enough free hose there or you will lose the motor.

Post some video of her in action - we might be able to see how well it is going with the prop you have and help with some suggestions from there.
thanks for the tech i do believe it said 79. imma post the linkwww.nitrorcx.com/99p-12001-m479.html
also ill make sure the hose is fixed and i have velcro holding the battery pack down because it was bouncing around at idle. it should be good now cause i have a hard time taking the damn batteries out already. its gonna rain here for three days so im out for action shots for now. and i have no more room for foam in my boat the front is completely full. i put it in every spot i could get it in.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:43 AM
hendocap

Batteries won't be tight for long, once the plastic gets warm they pop right out first big chop.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 AM
wichers00

ill look into it.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 PM
wichers00

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...=VIDEO0014.mp4

heres a video from today. it runs really well. has plenty of power for a cheap setup. one issue i have is that it wont turn worth of **** left when in full throttle. also if you go straight and you gas it it will roll left and slowly hook left. any ideas on what causes this. i say it because the rudder is next to the prop and i thought i read some where it should be behind the prop.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Justaddwata

She runs well!!

The leaning and turning is due to prop torque. Very common in single drive monos. There ways to offset it (prop modifications, weight relocation, drive angle adjustment, etc) Having a rudder inline behind the prop will afford better directional control though will add a little to drag etc. Think you will find most people just learn to drive the boat with the inherent control vices they have.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
wichers00

will trim tabs help with the rolling or a turn fin. i have to hold it all the way right to keep it straight.
ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

She runs well!!

The leaning and turning is due to prop torque. Very common in single drive monos. There ways to offset it (prop modifications, weight relocation, drive angle adjustment, etc) Having a rudder inline behind the prop will afford better directional control though will add a little to drag etc. Think you will find most people just learn to drive the boat with the inherent control vices they have.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:16 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to hold it all the way right to keep it straight.
Will trim tabs help with the rolling or a turn fin?
Make it running straight is your first concern , trimtabs & turnfins are easely screwed on if needed.

A normal way to correct your veering to the right is to shift the strut 6mm to the right.

As this is a stinger-drive .. put a 2mm strip UNDER the drive on the right , tillting the drive to the left.

If still not running straight .. add 3mm or more till the hull is running in a straight line.

The rolling/rocking from L>R and back , can be smoothed out with trimtabs ,

if in turns the back is quicker as the bow .. than you'll need turning-fins.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:23 PM
wichers00

As this is a stinger-drive .. put a 2mm strip UNDER the drive on the right , tillting the drive to the left.

okay i think i understand what your saying my stinger drive is adjustable up and down and left and right so it might be off there. i thought it looked alittle off.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:49 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think it looks like a good boat, they all can be better and with some work in the set up department, i think you are off to a great start, and for under 600.00 thats a great deal,just put a rubberband and a ballon over your battery case. they are telling you correct . i run dry cells all the time and if you do not do this you will bounce the batteries out, keep us posted nice thread,
Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 AM
wichers00

ORIGINAL: expresscraft

i think it looks like a good boat, they all can be better and with some work in the set up department, i think you are off to a great start, and for under 600.00 thats a great deal,just put a rubberband and a ballon over your battery case. they are telling you correct . i run dry cells all the time and if you do not do this you will bounce the batteries out, keep us posted nice thread,
thank you. i have looked at your boats and i must say i really like the carbon fiber inside. is there anyway to add more fiber glass or carbon after the fact to help with strength. ive done fiberglass sound boxs before so its no mystery.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:46 AM
expresscraft

still no mystery, strip ur boat, lightly sand the surface of the polyester inside, thats an assumption, that its polyester, it will get a film that nothing will bond too, so just sand it some, cut ur 5. somthing does not matter carbon fiber twill to fit the area you want to cover and can reach,it you have to cut the handle of the brush so you can get in the tight areas, then use spray adhesive on one side of your carbon, i like 3m 77, then place ur carbon in and smooth it out with your fingers, and the wet it out with your polyester resin, once you are happy, scrap all the excess resin off the brush on the lip of your resin cup, and extract out all the excess resin in the boat until satisfied, then you are done with a great looking and much stronger hull,you will find the carbon fiber twill is very flexible and will go aroun a lot of bends, just keep it very wet, the spray adhesive will help keep it from falling apart as you use it, dont try to go over the top of your engine rails and back down the other side it will probably not make that bend,also it will make your rails less the 5" and if you force your motor in you will distort the bottom of the boat, so if you do cover the rails, and its fine to do either sand your mounts down some or grind away the carbon where the mounts make contact, just dont force the fit. hope this helps
Old 12-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Nosedragger

okay i think i understand what your saying my stinger drive is adjustable up and down and left and right so it might be off there. i thought it looked alittle off.
sharpen the prop first also be careful who you take advice from there are some who like to run submerged props and are biased against surface drive, don't listen to them
Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 PM
wichers00

you know whats really funny, most of my boat looks very close to the venoms king of shaves P1 gas boat. im wondering if i can run there upgrades and spare parts.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:11 AM
expresscraft

i dont see anything wrong with your hardware,i do agree in the pic the drive looks like its pointed down i would level it with the bottom of the boat, and maybe even one degree up, if that does not make it better, try a bigger prop, maybe its just the pic, but ur surface drive should not be pointed down, the rudder and quality look good in the pic, i think you have a awesome boat, price considered if you like the hobby from it you have done well, i would start a new build before i would make your 530.00 boat into a 1000.00 boat on a 500 foundation. if the motor fails down the road sure put a real zenoha in it but until then i would keep what you have and upkeep it, and get your moneys worth, my point is you are already off to a great start,most of the inexpensive boats are so bad that a lot of people buying them do not go forward into the hobby because they just get out after a big purchase to them ,for something that does not work, they do not know a 1000.00 is considered cheap in the model gas boat world, a lot of people buying new rtr boats expensive or not are not hobby people and do not have good working skills to fix things others take for granted, before i sold my hobby shop it was a daily thing for some one who just bought a rc car off line to not know how to use it, and with the instructions from some one like traxxas that just hard for me to believe. but thats the case,
Old 12-11-2011, 05:15 AM
wichers00

ORIGINAL: expresscraft

i dont see anything wrong with your hardware,i do agree in the pic the drive looks like its pointed down i would level it with the bottom of the boat, and maybe even one degree up, if that does not make it better, try a bigger prop, maybe its just the pic, but ur surface drive should not be pointed down, the rudder and quality look good in the pic, i think you have a awesome boat, price considered if you like the hobby from it you have done well, i would start a new build before i would make your 530.00 boat into a 1000.00 boat on a 500 foundation. if the motor fails down the road sure put a real zenoha in it but until then i would keep what you have and upkeep it, and get your moneys worth, my point is you are already off to a great start,most of the inexpensive boats are so bad that a lot of people buying them do not go forward into the hobby because they just get out after a big purchase to them ,for something that does not work, they do not know a 1000.00 is considered cheap in the model gas boat world, a lot of people buying new rtr boats expensive or not are not hobby people and do not have good working skills to fix things others take for granted, before i sold my hobby shop it was a daily thing for some one who just bought a rc car off line to not know how to use it, and with the instructions from some one like traxxas that just hard for me to believe. but thats the case,
yah i understand, im not looking to sink money into this one just make it reliable and fun, which for the most case it is, i have another hull im playing with that i also bought from exceed but i think im gonna change my mind on and just hang it on the wall. its a hydro. i pulled the motor out the p1 boat to put it in the hydro to see it run but they have the stuffing tube at a hrad angle and i would have to set the motor too far foward. so im gonna scrap my idea of making it my fast boat. ill prob build kit later down the road. i like the enforcer boats and i like the insane boats but insane is big money too.

mechanics is in my blood so i understand it easily, i work on toyotas for a living and i use to build turbo hondas so i can fab anything if need be. to me running the boat is the boring part to me building and tinkering is the fun part.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-11-2011, 05:03 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If their boats are built anything like their cars...... (assuming its the same Exceed)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.