Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

My 1/12 Jammin CRT.5 big block build

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:25 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 1/12 Jammin CRT.5 big block build

I just got a new Jammin CRT.5 kit that I will be building during the cold weather over the next month or two. I am doing a big block coversion using a Werks B6 engine. I want to prove that you don't need to go brushless to go insanely fast! Not that I have anything against brushless. I know how fast it is and i do enjoy the simplicity of electric from time to time myself. But don't forget that you can still go fast with nitro!

So here is what I have so far! everything came mounted to the standard chassis.But it also came with everything for the extended chassis version of the car.

I got the engine and center diff mocked up and then mounted this afternoon before I had to leave for work. I am using Kyosho engine mounts for this conversion. they are nice because even with the engine mounted there is access to the mounting hole from the top so it is relatively easy to drill new mounting holes in the chassis. I don't plan on running the V-spec in the pics in this carit was just sitting off to the side so it was easily accessable!

Old 12-04-2011, 02:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: My 1/12 Jammin CRT.5 big block build

talk about overkill

good thing the drive chain is pretty damn stout or else you would rip it up to high hell
Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 PM
yakfish

I know I love overkill! Brushless beware!!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

hmmm tempted to throw my 2200kv MM in mine with a 6S battery now....

OK J/K the tires would probably explode the second I tap the throttle
Old 12-04-2011, 02:28 PM
yakfish

I plan on getting the 17mm adaptors from RC Monster and running 1/8 GT tires. I have some rubber tires for my Inferno GT that should work nicely but I really need to get foams for it.

I think I remember seeing someone do a brushless conversion using the MMM system. that really would be the ultimate power for this little thing!
Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I forsee traction problems in your future. Haha. I bet it's going to be an animal even on break-in settings.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:36 PM
yakfish

Pretty much finished putting everything together tonight. I used a Hitec HS-625MG servo for the throttle and a Hitec HS-645MG for steering. I still need to install the Werks B6 since I still have the V-Spec in there but I don't know maybe I will just run and get an idea for how it will perform. The two engines aren't too much different as far as power and RPM. I did forget to put the center drive shaft in when I was switching everything to the extended chassis so i still need to do that and setup my linkages. And paint the body. This looks like it will be an awesome little truck! I can't believe they are selling this kit for just $79! I don't know why it isn't more popular. The quality of the parts is excellent and I know it is going to handle great! I don't think I am even going to run these tires. I think I will just list them for sale while they are still brand new and get a set of 1/8 scale 17mm foams for it before i run it. Here are some pics of it.

Here is a better pic of the engine mounting holes. Notice I was able to leave the original holes untouched so if I ever deside I need to downsize to a smallblock I still can.

The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (01-24-2021)
Old 12-05-2011, 05:38 AM
lez1troubles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeeeeehaaaaa, thats going to go like a rocket, nice. By that way, I'm like you, DUCK BRUSHLESS.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

Yeeeeehaaaaa, thats going to go like a rocket, nice. By that way, I'm like you, DUCK BRUSHLESS.
Yakfish also has several brushless speed machines, he knows that there is room for more than one power source in the hobby.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 AM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

Yakfish also has several brushless speed machines, he knows that there is room for more than one power source in the hobby.
Thats right. I used to knock brushless untill I tried it. Both can be very fast and THAT is my point with this build. There are too many haters on both sides of the nitro vs. electric argument when there shouldn't be an argument at all!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: yakfish

Pretty much finished putting everything together tonight. I used a Hitec HS-625MG servo for the throttle and a Hitec HS-645MG for steering. I still need to install the Werks B6 since I still have the V-Spec in there but I don't know maybe I will just run and get an idea for how it will perform. The two engines aren't too much different as far as power and RPM. I did forget to put the center drive shaft in when I was switching everything to the extended chassis so i still need to do that and setup my linkages. And paint the body. This looks like it will be an awesome little truck! I can't believe they are selling this kit for just $79! I don't know why it isn't more popular. The quality of the parts is excellent and I know it is going to handle great! I don't think I am even going to run these tires. I think I will just list them for sale while they are still brand new and get a set of 1/8 scale 17mm foams for it before i run it. Here are some pics of it.
1/8 scale tires might cause a clearance problems. You might try 2.2 truck rims/tires. That's what I run.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:38 PM
yakfish

2.2 truck wheels are too wide. I have some on my rc10gt and they would rub the exhaust manifold. The wheels from my Inferno GT though, do fit without rubbing. Also the RC Monster 17mm adaptor give almost another 1/2 inch of clearance!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I foresee you picking up a set of aluminum C-hubs, knuckles, and maybe the steering belcrank set(I had to last speed run on mine [:@]) if you hit anything with that
Old 12-05-2011, 02:43 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

God... this thing is gonna burn up tires.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:01 PM
nitroexpress

Not sure why 2.2 tires won't work for you. Although close to the manifold, I have no problems.
Must be the rim offset you are using.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:49 PM
yakfish

Its the big block manifold that sticks out farther than the stock small block manifold. But I might take another look at it though.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 PM
yakfish

Here is the truck as it sits now. All I have left to do is paint the body, install the power switch, get the RC Monster 17mm adaptor and a set of 1/8 GT foams.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 PM
rubber_junkie

came on great [8D]!! any in action video? I had started doing same to mine with rb ws7 II an would use jp5 pipe but never finished put engine back in buggy & crt.5 remained using novarossi 12 till month ago low compression so may rekindle project again.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:40 AM
yakfish

No, I haven't even started it yet. Once I do though I will post a vid or two of it running.[8D]
Old 12-06-2011, 06:17 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

That thing is gonna be FUN

ThunderbirdJunkie noticed there's a lot of toe out on that sucker. It's gonna be darty as hell at high speeds.

Is that a Savage manifold? Did you have to use that instead of a normal J or square header to clear the tire?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 AM
DarkFire989

A CVEC pipe? Havent seen those things in a long time.

That little thing is gona be a monster.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:43 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

That thing is gonna be FUN

ThunderbirdJunkie noticed there's a lot of toe out on that sucker. It's gonna be darty as hell at high speeds.

Is that a Savage manifold? Did you have to use that instead of a normal J or square header to clear the tire?

I think the camera makes it look like there is a lot of toe out. Something with the way the camera lense refracts the light or something. I noticed that too, but it is good in person

Yes that is a Savage manifold. the manifold that came with the kit actually hits the rear turnbuckle. since the engine is larger than a smallblock , the manifold sits back farther.

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

A CVEC pipe? Havent seen those things in a long time.

That little thing is gona be a monster.
yep, I have had it for years and it was sitting on my work bench. it fits really well. it was a great pipe on an 18tz in an rc10gt, then I had it on a NTC3 with the OS 21 V-spec in the earlier pics. It was a black pipe originally that I painted blue. so I had to take some sand paper to it to strip all the layers of paint off it.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:13 PM
yakfish

Here it is all done and ready to go!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:21 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tempting me man! i have a ported force .28 just sitting here.

good job, cant wait to see it go, im sure you get to a point where there is no use in more power, you usually realize that when the tires fling off.

but if your like me you just say.... hmmm.. needs more power.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

sure is green

BTW almost chocked at my LHS the other day saw the stock ofna body sitting on the shelf for $45 I was like uhh I can buy the whole truck for $30 more new...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.