Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

OV-10 Bronco 81"

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:44 PM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OV-10 Bronco 81

ORIGINAL: warbird51

ORIGINAL: aeroscale

Here are some photos and a drawing of the fill and cap ribs I used to make the three piece wing. A TNT tube and sleeve assembly is used for the joint. Works great; make the cuts carefully and you won't have to strip the wing covering at all.
AEROSCALE

Hi Rich,

Just to get a clarification on your photo's on your post #745, the outer sleeve only goes in one bay on the inboard side. It also looks like you use the outer socket in the outboard wing also. Is the aluminum joiner tube not glued in to the outboard panel? Does the tubing only go through 2 outboard bays? There are three of us how is going to use this mod on our OV-10's

Wayne
Has anybody do the plug in wings like aeroscale did? If so, how many rib bays did the new spar socket tube go on each side of the cut line?

Thanks,

Wayne
Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 AM
rinnander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbarnes

Ok, thanks for the update. I'm putting DLE20's in mine. Electric is ok, but when you get this big the batteries and ESC's get expensive and your flying time is cut down unless you buy even more expensive batteries. The only time I lost a twin (my B25 running eflite 60's) was when I had a battery catch fire. And people always tell me electric is more reliable. Go figure.
JBarnes,

I want to put DLE20's in mine as well. Have you put them in and will they fit under the engine cowl? I think my plane is going to be a bit heavy like 22-23 lbs. I was a power plant mechanic on the bronco in the Marine Corps until they retired the OV-10 in 1996, I was with VMO2 at Camp Pendleton, Ca. So I am trying to make it look more scale than sport. In the background I have a picture hanging on the wall of what I hope my plane will look like. I have had this plane for 4 years trying to make it right. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49132.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1696102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20738.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1696103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40062.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1696104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78868.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1696105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv14913.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1696106  
Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
jbarnes

Hey Paul, I'm building the kit so I'm not sure if everything is the same for the ARF. I have not mounted the engines yet. Based on the plans measurements they will fit. However, I do not have cowls yet as they are still out of stock on all the plastic parts. I plan on mounting mine inverted with the standard muffler that comes with the motor. A significant portion of the cowl bottom and side will need to be removed to fit the 20's.

As I'm sure you have figured out the DL20's are too long to mount to the firewall and fit within the cowl. You must recess the carb into the nacelle. What I did was buy a back plate mount for the motor http://www.seaplanesupply.com/aluminum.htm. Don't buy the standoffs as you will not need them. Next using a hole saw drill a hole in the firewall that allows the carb to sit inside the nacelle. Mount the engine to the mount with the supplied bolts and then use 1/4" standoffs to mount the plate to the firewall. According to my calculations that should put your motor right where you need it.

Now having said all the above I have not yet tried to mount the motor yet. I'm just finishing up the sheeting on my nacelles and will mount the motors in the next week or so to see how all this works out. Couple of issues still to work out; where will the gas tank sit? How will the throttle servo be positioned? Where will the ignition unit be placed?

If you really want scale looks I'd be leaning towards an electric solution as you can keep your cowls pretty much untouched. I think these gas engines are going to ruin the scale look due to the space requirements for the muffler and head. But, give me a couple of weeks and I'll post some pictures of what I got cooking and you can see for yourself.
Jerry.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:15 AM
BadLemon
My Feedback: (37)

Hi Paul

Looking at your Bronco with full pilots, cockpit and if you using retract and the 20cc engines your weight my come in at the 24 to 25lbs range. Look back an post 681 of Gaines Smith's Bronco. He use 15cc gas engines and bust pilots and was at 24lbs but he said it flew like a heavy trainer so I bet yours will fly well. Looks like you did the same thing I did in stripping an ARF and recovering it. Did your covering pull off just like my? But I did have some areas that was a challenge like the red covering as I see on your as well. I going with a Marine Scheme as well as my son is a Marine and stationed at Camp Pendleton as well. Here is a pic of the scheme I'm shooting for.

Name:	Lj22846.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1696110  
Old 12-06-2011, 11:18 AM
rinnander

Jerry,

Thanks I do want scale but I don't want electric, like you said earlier batteries, speed controls way to much money to fly more than one time a weekend. If I have to cut the cowl, maybe cut the inboard side so it is not too visible. 15cc gassers are about the same size and weight as the 20cc? I do have one RCV .91 4 stroke that I was going to put on this plane, I put the other on my F4U and it runs nice. I might just have to go this route, I just like the idea of the 2 stroke gasser if it will work. I am looking forward to your progress and pics.

Paul
Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Just got the plans for this plane from MAN. Looks like I have thirty two pages of reading to do in this thread!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 AM
jbarnes

A couple of things I noted while building the nacelles. The formers location is incorrect when using the Sierra gear. If you plan on using the Sierra gear you may want to get the gear first before you put the F3 former in. It needs to be moved forward about two inches. I have no clue how I'm going to get the nose gear positioned correctly. Thats the next phase of the project. But first I'm going to get the nacelles complete.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 PM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gentlemen, it's good to know this thread is still going strong! I built my OV-10 a few years ago. The fuselage and nacelle parts came from the ARF, the 3 piece wing and horizontal stabilizer were built from plans. Note, every Bronco ends up being tail heavy, try to keep all pieces aft of the CG as light as possible. The location of the main gear is important; too far aft and it won't want to rotate to take off. My plane has a couple of OS 91 4-strokes and weighs 19 lb dry. It has plenty of power and can do a loop at 1/2 throttle. Don't forget the right offset in the right engine, it will help if you lose the left motor in flight. Good luck!

Name:	Lj22515.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1696433  
Old 12-06-2011, 08:46 PM
rinnander

Badlemon,

I like the look of that bronco you have chosen, I am going with gray camo pattern. I have glassed my plane so I can airbrush the design I want with the colors I want. The problem is the engine. I want a gasser for cost and ease but I don't know if it will fit. If I use a 15cc I have a RCV 90 that is equal to a 15cc engine, but it is a 4 stroke with messy oil. But I am stuff a square peg in a round hole who knows. What does your son do in the USMC? Thanks for the reminder of an earlier post about the 15cc gassers. Yes the covering came off pretty easy I had a few heat gun spots not to bad though. Is your plane finished? If so how much weight and what type of power are you running? Thanks for the chat.

Paul
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 PM
rinnander

Cando,

Thanks for the reminder of the right engine offset, did you use washers or a piece of hardwood? I like your plane I bet she fly's awesome!!!!!

Paul
Old 12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
CanDo

Hi Paul, thanks for the kind words. I made a shim out of wood, but washers would work also. Trust me, you will love the way your Bronco flies!
-Les-
Old 12-07-2011, 06:19 AM
gsmith6879

Seems like when you get the Bronco "bug" you just can't get rid of the thing! I have started my 3rd Uravitch Bronco. This one will be electric powered and I plan on replacing most of the light ply with balsa to try to get the weight down. I also plan on reshaping the fuselage nose to look more scale. Since the canopies seem to be in short supply, I'm going to make a mold and pull a more scale shaped canopy. A few other minor changes will be done as the build gets going. The main thing I want to do is make sure all of the incidences, thrust lines, and moments are exactly like Rich's original design. This design flies so well even at the upper weight I managed to add to my last Bronco that I don't want to change that.

Since I am changing a lot of the 1/8" light ply to 3/16" balsa and reworking the fuselage nose and canopy, I decided to redraw the major components in cad. Some progress has been made and you can follow the complete build here. http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...TID=17896&PN=1

I'll post updates periodically here on RCU.

Name:	Us54314.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1696586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54704.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1696587  
Old 12-07-2011, 07:20 AM
BadLemon

Gaines!

Awesome! with all your knowledge on the Uravitch design you should be able to build the best Bronco yet! If I have kept count this will be your 5Th Bronco you have built or going to be the 5TH Bronco built. I think this earns you the Title Gaines "The Bronco" Smith!

With the molds you made of the scale cowls and fuse pieces I knew you couldn't leave your Bronco hangar space empty! Good Luck with your build and I will watch your Magic unfold on RCSB.

To All following this thread I would encourage all of you to join the RcScaleBuilder web site and follow Gaines build, in my opinion he is a Master Builder in Design and Concept. I watched Gaines Build 2 = 1/5 Scale OV-10 Broncos and a 1/3 BirdDog from scratch it was very informative and a lot of fun!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 AM
CanDo

Rich Uravitch really got the CG, thrust and incidence angles right. I never touched the trim on the maiden flight. The plane flew straight and level hands off. Nice work, Rich!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 AM
BadLemon

ORIGINAL: CanDo

Rich Uravitch really got the CG, thrust and incidence angles right. I never touched the trim on the maiden flight. The plane flew straight and level hands off. Nice work, Rich!

CanDo

I fully agree I have flown both the 52.5" and 81" Bronco and they fly Great! I hope Rich gets his molded Parts problem worked out I would hate to see this kit run come to an end. I know Fiberglass Specialty's makes parts but they don't make the canopy Rich was the only supplier for it. I have one new Canopy from an ARF kit that I pickup last year and 2 wood kits that I was going to build with a buddy using Scale cowls and fuse. noise and tail parts but the project got stalled do to no canopies and my buddy moved away do to a job change. I may be able to make a plug from the canopy I have but I have never done this before so I would have to learn how to do it. I do have a broken Canopy I could probably piece back together and use it to learn with. But lets hope for the best and the Bronco parts come back in stock that's what I'm hoping for! I would one day love to have Rich's 109" plans that Bronco is a Monster! And from the pictures and video I have seen he has added a lot of Scale features to his latest design. 109'' pic below

Name:	Rp43822.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	1696605  
Old 12-07-2011, 08:13 AM
jbarnes

I verified last night that the DLE20's fit. with the engine mounted to the firewall the prop washer sits at 4". My plans show 4.5" so it looks like I'll need 1/2" spacers. I'll get the throttle servo and fuel tank figured out and post some pictures. That horizontal stab is a real pain. Just not enough room to really put a servo in there without it looking out of place. I ended up putting the elevator servos in the tail and will use a carbon rod up to the elevator. Looks like several folks have used that approach.

What we going to do about canopy and cowls etc. Rich has not responded to my notes asking about availability. I'm getting a uneasy feeling that we won't have plastic parts in the near future.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Destroyer of Airplanes
My Feedback: (25)

Guys,

I have a spare canopy and some other plastic parts. Does anybody want to or know how to build a suitable mold so we could get a few more built till Rich gets back into production or Gains has his canopy available.

Paul
Old 12-07-2011, 09:15 AM
BadLemon

Paul

Yes I would like some info on mold making I'm looking into this as well. I think this well be the only option I don't think Gaines's canopy will work because of the scaled redesign he is performing with his build. I have 2 sets of his fiberglass parts and there is no way to get them to work with a stock kit. So I'm confident the canopy will not work with the stock kit as well. If you go back to page 27 post 654 Gaines posted pictures of his scale modifications and scales parts he hand made for the Uravitch Bronco. He his very talented I wish I had half of his talent. I'm looking forward to his scale build for sure!
Old 12-07-2011, 09:21 AM
gsmith6879

ORIGINAL: BadLemon

Gaines!

Awesome! with all your knowledge on the Uravitch design you should be able to build the best Bronco yet! If I have kept count this will be your 5Th Bronco you have built or going to be the 5TH Bronco built. I think this earns you the Title Gaines ''The Bronco'' Smith!

With the molds you made of the scale cowls and fuse pieces I knew you couldn't leave your Bronco hangar space empty! Good Luck with your build and I will watch your Magic unfold on RCSB.

To All following this thread I would encourage all of you to join the RcScaleBuilder web site and follow Gaines build, in my opinion he is a Master Builder in Design and Concept. I watched Gaines Build 2 = 1/5 Scale OV-10 Broncos and a 1/3 BirdDog from scratch it was very informative and a lot of fun!
Yea, this is the 5th Bronco. I like to say I am persistent....my wife calls it something else that I can't post here

I plan to rework the nose cone mold to fit the new scale fuselage shape, but I will use the cowling and tail cone molds that I did on the last Bronco. The new scale canopy plug is going to be the real challenge. I have some experience with the development of molds and pulling parts on my Ziroli Skyraider and then the big Bird Dog but this will be on the ragged edge of my capability. We will see how it comes out.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 AM
aeroscale

All,
Thanks for the kind words, they're much appreciated.
The plastic parts for the Bronco problem may have resolution. I am awaiting samples from a new vendor to check the quality and, if all goes well, parts for my Broncos and other designs should be available in the near future. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Rich
Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 AM
BadLemon

ORIGINAL: rinnander

Badlemon,

I like the look of that bronco you have chosen, I am going with gray camo pattern. I have glassed my plane so I can airbrush the design I want with the colors I want. The problem is the engine. I want a gasser for cost and ease but I don't know if it will fit. If I use a 15cc I have a RCV 90 that is equal to a 15cc engine, but it is a 4 stroke with messy oil. But I am stuff a square peg in a round hole who knows. What does your son do in the USMC? Thanks for the reminder of an earlier post about the 15cc gassers. Yes the covering came off pretty easy I had a few heat gun spots not to bad though. Is your plane finished? If so how much weight and what type of power are you running? Thanks for the chat.

Paul
Hi Paul

I like the Gray Schemes as well but my eyes don't so my scheme has to be darker. I am going with gas engines as well the JBA 15cc engines go to page 31 post 751 I posted pics of the JBA engines, but I may change to electrics but I may not. I had to put the 81" bronco build on hold do to a lot of travailing I had to do for my employer but I did pickup a Uravitch 52.5" ARF that I put together quickly and installed electric motors. This setup is great and better then I thought it would be you can see a video of it on post 758. For a quick build I just went with fixed gear but over the winter I'm going to install retracts. As for the covering on the 81" Bronco I had to remove it because it was just falling off on it's own.

As for my son he operates a water purification system for front line support he just got back in November from float that took him all over the Pacific, Indian Ocean and Africa he was station on the USS Boxer. His next deployment will be Afghanistan, my Wife was not happy but she supports it. He has done pretty good for him self in the Corp he is a Lance Corporal and he wants to chance his MOS to a flight engineer. He has just been in just over 2 Years now and he going to reenlist but he told me there is a chance he may not be able to do to the over abundance of Marines at this time, but he is hoping for the best he really like the Corp.

As for my Bronco I plan to start working on it again next week and I want to have it ready for next spring.

Doug

Old 12-07-2011, 10:41 AM
BadLemon

ORIGINAL: aeroscale

All,
Thanks for the kind words, they're much appreciated.
The plastic parts for the Bronco problem may have resolution. I am awaiting samples from a new vendor to check the quality and, if all goes well, parts for my Broncos and other designs should be available in the near future. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Rich

Hi Rich

That is Great! to hear! I'm sure you just made a lot of guys very happy including me. Keep up the Great work and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

You guys recommend the Super Tigre .75 or .90 for this plane?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:57 AM
BadLemon

I don't see a problem with them I knew a guy that used super tigre 75 in his Bronco but he also used an onboard glow system because he had an engine die in flight and had a scary landing but made it back!

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

You guys recommend the Super Tigre .75 or .90 for this plane?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

How about a real big one with dual turboprops........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.