Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Product Detail / Funaero Kits

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Product Detail / Funaero Kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Product Detail / Funaero Kits

How are they compared to the BUSA Kits? I'm eye balling the 65" Albatros DIII. I found the link to them through RCU and I'm facinated. The 65" wingspan- would that be 1/5 or closer to 1/4 scale? I guess that would be a question to ask Funaero.

http://www.funaero.com/id70.html

Pete
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 AM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Product Detail / Funaero Kits

The are a very nice kit - great plans, all laser cut and I found that the parts fit and construction very nice and required less sanding and shaping than the few BUSA kits I have built.

I started the 65" D.III years ago - even ran a long built thread - but I eventually gave it up and sold it half finished. It is really a sport standoff scale model and I wanted to put in more detail than was really possible. I've sense acquired a NIB Proctor second hand to start on if that gives you any sense of what I was trying to do

Be warned that the scale is tough to judge. Its someplace in between 1/5 and 1/6 depending on how you measure - the wingspan works out to 1/5.5 but the fuselage is too short and comes up closer to 1/6. If you put it up against a factory 3-view the proportions will look odd.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Oberst
Banned

Default RE: Product Detail / Funaero Kits

ORIGINAL: jharkin

The are a very nice kit - great plans, all laser cut and I found that the parts fit and construction very nice and required less sanding and shaping than the few BUSA kits I have built.

I started the 65'' D.III years ago - even ran a long built thread - but I eventually gave it up and sold it half finished. It is really a sport standoff scale model and I wanted to put in more detail than was really possible. I've sense acquired a NIB Proctor second hand to start on if that gives you any sense of what I was trying to do

Be warned that the scale is tough to judge. Its someplace in between 1/5 and 1/6 depending on how you measure - the wingspan works out to 1/5.5 but the fuselage is too short and comes up closer to 1/6. If you put it up against a factory 3-view the proportions will look odd.

Yes I believe the 65" D.III is between 1/5 and 1/4 scale. My Fokker Dr1 is 1:4.7 scale, wingspan is 60.25 inches. My Hanger 9 Fokker DVII wingspan is 64.6. In real life measurement terms the Albatros wingspan was slightly larger than the Fokker DVII. All my planes scale is between 1/5-1/4 scale.

Fokker DVII Wingspan: 27 ft 6.75 in
Albatros D.III Wingspan: 29 ft 6 in

It will fit my 1/5-1/4 scale Jasta fleet perfectly!

I don't know of too many kits on the market that are exactly scale. To me it wasn't very obvious by looking at the pictures that the FA Kits were off scale. But anything that is obviously off scale, then I'l bash it to be more correct and more pleasing to the eye.

I haven't seen the judges take a ruler to anyones planes at a show, so I'm not too worried about it. You and I both know that some of these Kit and ARF aircraft aren't exactly scale because they want the average intermediate pilot to be able to fly them without too much hassel. We won't talk about the Dr1, no matter what these designers do, the ground handling, take off and landings with the Dr1 can be stressful. I know I have my hands full when I fly mine on windy days, cross winds can be very deadly and try not to fight it. Usually I just say my "Hail Marry" and slam the throttle forward and hope I have the nose straight in the wind.

Thanks for sharing your experience with building the FA Kit, to bad you didn't get to finish the kit and maiden it. I plan on seeing if my 1983 O.S. FS-120 (Before Surpass) that looks like a Saito will fit it OK.

I plan on covering it with Solartex and will copy Jacobs Jasta 7 Albatros D.III skin.

Pete