Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Seagull Yak 54 90 size

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Seagull Yak 54 90 size

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:37 PM
sir crashallot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Yak 54 90 size

Ok so iv decided to phase out the smaller and move on to bigger models, Iv been flying since i was 11-12 years old and im now 25. I saw the yak 54 at a price i couldn't resist so i bought it. I had a fully reconditioned st3000 sat on the table so have decided to go with this due to reviews pointing out the planes seriously tail heavy and underpowered with a 120 upfront.Now we all know the st3000 is a juice drinker and will empty a 20oz tank in no time so im going to convert it to gass which i understand will cause the engine to lose a small amount of power. The prop i intend to use will be an 18x10 (not sure if it should be slightly bigger to lower the engines rpm so advice on this would be great). Servos are Hex Troniks HX12K metal geared servos, there installed on ailerons and elevators. Not sure of a rudder servo to go with so if you have a recommendation for it let me know.I intend on Learning to fly 3D but not full out 3D i just want a mild taste to see if its for me.I also understand the plane isn't really a 100% 3D capable but im sure i can manage some with it.So where am i know with it. well its assembled just waiting to find the right rudder servo, waiting to find and locate a conversion kit for the st3000, and waiting on a prop size and just general setting up. Oh and the graphics need applying but thats the least of my worrys. So any ideas to my questions or advice or any experience with the yak?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16813.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1697738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72020.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1697739  
Old 12-11-2011, 08:29 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Yak 54 90 size

Got this plane with a 20cc petrolin it, had a asp120 fs.

I will agree that the model is way underpowered for any 3d with a 120fs in it and handles the weight of a 20cc and battery and ignition without the use of lead no problem.

Any motor that can swing a 18 6 and up will give some 3d capibilitys to this model as with a 20cc and 17 6 she can hover but only 3/4 thottle with next to no pull out. As you seem to know its not a ideal 3d airframe due to its weight and wingloading so will not do everything.

Anyway the problem you may have is that with the 18 inch prop you are going to have no prop clearance, I have to bend the landing gear taller every now and again to stop cutting the grass with a 17 incher. I will admit some of my landings are less than perfect. You may need to get a three blade prop.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 AM
sir crashallot

ORIGINAL: raydar

You may need to get a three blade prop.
Thanks for the reply, iv been wanting an excuse to put a 3 blade prop on it but im unsure of the size for it..... Hows the weather up there Raydar
Old 12-11-2011, 12:15 PM
raydar

Not to bad where I am just wet and windy like it has been all year, its pretty much low lands here, another 50 miles north would be another matter. This has been a terrible year for flying for me as I work shifts and every time I have had time off it has been windy or raining, flown 3 times in 3 months.

At least we have not had that harsh winter like last year yet and hey its almost the new year so lets hope next year brings us better weather.

Some of yorkshire can be wild at this time of year, you prob get it worse than me in stirlng.

There is two threads in the arf section about this model, I suggest you read them as they may save your model, take particular attention to what is said about the ca hinges failing.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:20 PM
sir crashallot

Yeah i here you about the weather, i think iv flown 12 times this year..... as for the hinges they where actualy the first things i threw in the bin, i don't believe in those cyno hinges unless used in a glider. for the sake of £8-£9 for some slec or dubro or kavan hinges its just common sense to buy good quality ones. What size prop would you recommend in the 3 blade series. And im praying for better weather next year......
Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 PM
jknox

I've got one ready to maiden, just waiting for the wind here in Oklahoma to let up. Here's how I did the bottom side of mine.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:04 PM
sir crashallot

jknox is that a carbon u/c or painted???? either way it looks great, least you will be able to see which side is up when flying. also what engine did you go with?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:35 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

it's just not a great 3D machine and maybe that's what your tryign to make it into ... why not instead of re invent the wheel use the wheel's that are already avaiable

I'd consider it a sport plane personaly if u want to learn 3d head and your budget isn't big start in the nicer foam plane's that are vary tuff and performance is outstanding ..\

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/48-EPP-Extra_p_16045.html

Old 12-11-2011, 07:04 PM
jknox

No, I just painted the struts to better match the paint scheme. Engine's a Saito 125. Zachary, actually I'm not trying to make it a 3D plane because I don't fly 3D, but I dolike responsive sport planes, and I also like stripes on the bottom because occasionally I lose orientation at a distance and I like to know which way it's going to head when I move the stick.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:47 PM
raydar

I dont have a clue how much power your engine is going to make so kind of hard for me to suggest a prop for it. What I will say with my limited experience is a 15 8 3 graupner prop is what a 20cc petrol likes and a 16 8 3 or 17 8 3 graupner would be suited for a 30cc petrol. If you do order graupner you may have to make a prop spacer as the holein the prop comes from the factory predrilled huge.

Master airscrew props wereless efficient and you could have used a bigger size but I think they may have redesigned them recently and you may get a old or new design with different stiffness and therefore efficiency, so I simply dont know what one to suggest.

If you bend the gear tall and take care you may just get away with a 18 inch two blade, but I think it may get expensive pretty quick..
Old 12-12-2011, 11:46 AM
flygilmore

Anyone who has used a Zen. G20 care to chime in with their experiences on this plane/eng. combo? I have been wanting an airframe that is a bit more aerobatic than the Dragon Lady 60 that I currently have my G20 in now. Don't get me wrong it is one of my all time favs. I just want something different for a change.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
sir crashallot

Thanks for that raydar, il be going with graupner for a prop as they do seem to have an excellent reputation. Going to be uploading some pictures later on tonite even though its 00.21am here in the uk. Been and bought i rudder servo today so i can get that in and out of the way.

flygilmore
Zen g20 and this planes has given some decent results, but from what i read the zen is alittle heavy for this model and causes the plane to barely do vertical climbout for long periods. But dont forget everyone sets there engines up diferent with diferent props and so forth and iv seen a few yaks turn out at 9lb and some alittle over 11lb. Its hard to tell unless you jump in and do it but keep a close eye on the weigth, then experiment with a few props. have you any pictures of your yak, would be great to see photos of your setup.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 PM
sir crashallot

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

it's just not a great 3D machine and maybe that's what your tryign to make it into ... why not instead of re invent the wheel use the wheel's that are already avaiable

I'd consider it a sport plane personaly if u want to learn 3d head and your budget isn't big start in the nicer foam plane's that are vary tuff and performance is outstanding ..\

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/48-EPP-Extra_p_16045.html

Sorry i completely missed this response to the thread. my appologies..... i really dont like electric models for some reason.... as for the yak i am not expecting 3d capabilitys but have read and been told it can perform some. So my intent was to find out the ones it can do and see if i can adapt my flying style to the ones it can, if i can adapt id then think of spending seriouse ££££££s or for most of this site seriouse $$$$$$ on a plane and setup that is fully 3d capable. Hope this explains my bizare escapade haha
Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 AM
flygilmore

I don't have the SG Yak at the moment....I have been thinking hard about it though. I want something small that I can put together in a hurry to fly when the chance arises without having to load up the trailer etc.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
navypoe1

Sir Crashallot,

I just got this plane yesterday and mounting a Supertigre 2500 on it. One question. I see you used the mounting back plate. How did you run your fuel tubing? I definitly have to come up with another way to mount this engine besides the mounts it came with and thinking I will need to re-enforce the firewall a little. Any help with your experience mounting this big Supertigre would be great.

Steven