Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
zoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

hello XS buddys so yesterday i was running after battery died now my esc makes no more beeps just the steering works
yesterday red green and yellow leds lite up on ESC now just red Led any suggestions thanks in advance
Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: zoo

hello XS buddys so yesterday i was running after battery died now my esc makes no more beeps just the steering works
yesterday red green and yellow leds lite up on ESC now just red Led any suggestions thanks in advance
bad esc... []
Old 12-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Blitz813

Man either you guys are extremely unlucky or there is more than just a few rare cases of this occurring, as HPI says. I'm betting on the latter.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:13 PM
pma13

ORIGINAL: zoo

Hello
I have the same problem, no beeping at the esc.
i have find out what the problem is, in my case. I have opened the rear cover of my motor, and have seen that the isolation of one of those 3 cable (which are connected with the esc) is hurt.
this cable made a short circuit with the motor housing. so i have temporary solve the problem and test the motor with a sidewinder esc, it works again .
I hope to help you out there, to solve your problem :-)

Marc

Sorry for my english, its not my first language

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23114.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1699980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38797.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1699981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73101.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1699982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15507.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1699983  
Old 12-14-2011, 05:10 PM
hereticgod
My Feedback: (9)

I just wanted to point out to those with problems with the electronics on the xs, they were made by castle not hpi. Its castle that seems to be failing on the quality control and it's not just these systems. Also i noticed most of the new vehicles being released by hpi are not using castle electronics.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:27 PM
eclinck

Yeahhh, my XS is alive again.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 PM
nitro-rob

Castle systems seem very good in general, though, it seems there was a miss with this ESC.  I think its a production problem, there hasn't been a problem with people who got new ESCs from HPI.

The centre driveshafts on the XS are the same length as the rear shaft of a nitro RS4.  The XS versions are a little beefier but I am not going to complain when I have one and need it and the real part isn't available.

Lots of bad ESCs reported this week. The only solution is to contact HPI and arrange a return.  Have you tried recalibrating the ESC (setting the endpoints again?).

Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 PM
rokie1432

pma13 - the short-circuited motor cable that you mentioned in the pics, is it the problem that's causing the ESC not to have the beeping sound?.....tbh, i'm not sure if the bad insulation is the main cause of it though....

my stock esc was having the same issue, with no sound, only red/green lights when rev/fwd on the trigger....the motor was able to spin as well...
so i swapped out the stock esc for an mmp....and the motor came back to life!....if the issue was with the motor cable insulation, then putting the mmp in may still experience the same problem, but it didnt....unless of course the mmp is of a better quality (which obv is)....

has anyone verified on their motors if the cable insulation is worn as well?...
Old 12-15-2011, 01:19 PM
pma13

@ rokie1432

"pma13 - the short-circuited motor cable that you mentioned in the pics, is it the problem that's causing the ESC not to have the beeping sound?.....tbh, i'm not sure if the bad insulation is the main cause of it though...."
no unfortunately not, i have fixed the insulation and connect the motor to the stock esc, there is no beeping.
i have tested the motor with my sidewinder sct esc, there is only a soft beeping and the motor is not running smoothly, its running hard, rough.
when i'm not so busy at work i will make comparison of the amp consumption (without transmission) from my sct 3800 and the stock 4000, i think the 4000 will use much more amps.

pma13
Old 12-15-2011, 01:47 PM
nitro-rob

Someone had a similar experience with a regular sidewinder2 and a 4800 vektor motor in a firestorm but it wasn't a general problem.   I think the issue was firmware.  I don't know how or if it was resolved.  Do you have another ESC to try?

The beeping sound comes from the motor and not the ESC.  What does your 3800 motor do on the stock ESC?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:08 PM
pma13

Yes i have a mmp, i will try it with this one as well.
i know that the beeping sound comes from the motor, because of that im thinking something is wrong with the motor.
i use my 3800 motor with the sidewinder sct, not with the stock one
Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 PM
hereticgod

It sounds like a similar experience I have had with bad soldering on the bullets coming from the motor or the bullets on the esc circuit board. Did the exact same thing no beeps steering works and motor may turn but sounds very bad.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:07 PM
fffmonkey1

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Castle systems seem very good in general, though, it seems there was a miss with this ESC. I think its a production problem, there hasn't been a problem with people who got new ESCs from HPI.
The centre driveshafts on the XS are the same length as the rear shaft of a nitro RS4. The XS versions are a little beefier but I am not going to complain when I have one and need it and the real part isn't available.
Lots of bad ESCs reported this week. The only solution is to contact HPI and arrange a return. Have you tried recalibrating the ESC (setting the endpoints again?).
is it 48mm or 55mm of the Nitro RS4 Rear shaft?

This website said 55mm
http://www.asiatees.com/display.php?...id=39310&pid=1
This website said 48mm
http://www.shopping.com/fr-steel-uni...qKW07_A==/info
Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 PM
dms888
My Feedback: (2)

got my new esc from hpi today. so i took out my vxl esc and tacon motor to put the hpi esc and motor back in. hooked everything up and programed the esc. run it for a few mins on the stand and everything was fine. got everything ready to go run it and hooked the battery up and poof another cloud of smoke. 2nd time it has happened and never made it out to the yard. maybe my motor is messed up and causing the esc to smoke. ill call hpi tomorrow and see what they say.
matt
Old 12-15-2011, 08:36 PM
nitro-rob

Thats the first I've heard of a return blowing up.  Sorry about your luck.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: fffmonkey1

Castle systems seem very good in general, though, it seems there was a miss with this ESC. I think its a production problem, there hasn't been a problem with people who got new ESCs from HPI.
The centre driveshafts on the XS are the same length as the rear shaft of a nitro RS4. The XS versions are a little beefier but I am not going to complain when I have one and need it and the real part isn't available.
Lots of bad ESCs reported this week. The only solution is to contact HPI and arrange a return. Have you tried recalibrating the ESC (setting the endpoints again?).

This website said 55mm
This website said 48mm
Its the 48mm.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:17 PM
dms888
My Feedback: (2)

yea me to i was suprised. im just glad i have another esc and motor that keeps me going while hpi is fixing this. im going to see if they want me to send the motor this time maybe they can figure it out.

Thats the first I've heard of a return blowing up. Sorry about your luck.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:40 PM
martin34

Is anyone running any different offset wheels on the xs?I want to run Badlands but i reckon the higher tyres are going to mke it roll alot more.I like the look of the Proline titus 2.2 beadlock wheels.they are virtualy imposible to get over here in the Uk anymore so i would have to order from the US but dont realy want to order if there is no feedback on them?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 PM
hereticgod

I have some badlands with hpi mesh wheels I just got them and still have to mount them but I don't think it will make it more tippy, more grippy yes.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:04 PM
pma13

Someone had a similar experience with a regular sidewinder2 and a 4800 vektor motor in a firestorm but it wasn't a general problem. I think the issue was firmware. I don't know how or if it was resolved. Do you have another ESC to try?
The beeping sound comes from the motor and not the ESC. What does your 3800 motor do on the stock ESC?
I've testet with mmp, same problem, it sounds quiet.
I think it's because the motor is not running smoothly.
I'll open it again and see what's up.

pma13

Old 12-18-2011, 12:49 PM
hereticgod

Snapped a Rear diff cup snow bashing today :-( guess I will have to get hardened ones all around now.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:24 PM
alexhunter

Finally got my savage and my 4 year old was bugging me non stop to take it out. So we went (after only setting up the esc and fail safe) and sure enough after about 15 min the set screw came loose on the pinion. Oh well, we had a blast until then. To bad it's snowing like mad and I probably won't use it again until the spring.

This is my first electric and I instantly liked it. Will definately be buying the xs's big brother.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:28 PM
alexhunter

Oh ya, I picked up a second set of tires/rims while waiting for the savage to show up. Guy at the LHS told me that beadlocks were great so I bought them. Wow, do I hate them. It was a pain in the *ss to put them together and I blew a bead in the first minute driving. They'll go straight in the garbage now.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:16 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: fffmonkey1

This website said 55mm
This website said 48mm
Its the 48mm.

The ball part is a little larger. It fits my worn cups but I don't think it will fit a fresh cup (slit into the less worn cup oddly). Beware.

Alex - save your beadlocks in case you get a crawler. Worked out well for me.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:24 AM
martin34

"flux like a pro:savage xs on 3s" vid on youtube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.