Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

heard lots of bad stuff about Redcat....BUT

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

heard lots of bad stuff about Redcat....BUT

Old 11-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: heard lots of bad stuff about Redcat....BUT

Perhaps if I stated what I like about redcat you'd understand my point of view better and not think I'm a Redcat basher...

1) Redcat has the most extensive range of large scale vehicles, they really do have something for everyone
2) They are very well priced, amongst the best value for money models on the market
3) They are very well supported by hopup manufacturers and with little investment can be made as strong as any other model out there
4) Their customer support is largely excellent
5) I really like that they dived headlong into electric large scale, that took bravery and I hope that it takes off for them

See? I love Redcat.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:24 AM
haole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all of you need to stfu and stop flaming this thread!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Foxy, your second post cleared up some of the gray area of your first post. You made your points which I thought were missing in the first post. It seems to me that you were responding about comparing pro level racing equipment versus hobby grade. I won't argue your point there. I guess it's all up to perspective. I do think in the hobby grade level that Redcats compare with anything else. But on a pro level probably not, but I won't further comment or speculate since I've never had a pro level car. I appologize for any misunderstanding.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:54 AM
xerxes

foxy always startn truble
Old 11-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

Foxy, your second post cleared up some of the gray area of your first post. You made your points which I thought were missing in the first post. It seems to me that you were responding about comparing pro level racing equipment versus hobby grade. I won't argue your point there. I guess it's all up to perspective. I do think in the hobby grade level that Redcats compare with anything else. But on a pro level probably not, but I won't further comment or speculate since I've never had a pro level car. I appologize for any misunderstanding.
I do too.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:41 PM
rchobbyunlimited

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: rchobbyunlimited
Well said dad he did bash redcat very well but said he is not bashing redcat WOW go figure There 1/5 scales are great cars and will stand stand up to any other 1/5 scale on the market I dont care if you have $5,000.00 in it or $500.00 in it they all break and will all have hop ups and repaires so get what your pocket book can handle and have a great time in between and enjoy what you do have the redcat 5 scale is great quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No I didn't.

You insult me sir, by suggesting that I have wasted my money hopping up top of the line vehicle when I could have spent $600 and been done with it. A statement which is frankly, ridiculous.

See, this is exactly what I'm complaining about. Thanks for making my point for me.

And by the way, my cars don't break...I can't connect to youtube at work, but if you go to www.youtube.com/foxy4242 and look at my uploads, you'll see one from a couple of years ago called 'Large scale jump compilation', please check it out.
NO i didnt say you was wasting your money its your money you can do with it what you would like what I said is that if you put $5,000.00 in a 5th scale then its okay and thats cool great have fun thats you hobby and thats how much you enjoy it. But if i spend $600.00 on a 5th scale you can not tell me that I dont have quality I will still have to buy hop ups but if thats all I had to soend at the time its ok. I did not prove your point at all like I said in the first post get what your pocket can handel weither its the $5,000.00 or the $500.00 and have fun because they both will break at sometime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Foxy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il2VMtpdCuE[/youtube]

Nothing broke, nor ever has on that FG. Oh, I tell a lie, one steering rod.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: xerxes

foxy always startn truble
Shush, Penfold.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:49 PM
xerxes

Penfold.
[&:]
Old 11-26-2011, 10:54 AM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: big JC

Redcat has really stepped up their game since around 2008. Especially in the 1/5th scale where they are regarded as top quality product rtr in the $550 range where their competition can coast 2k+. Parts support is there now and several after market hopup companies are popping up. A great place to buy redcat is rampagehopups.com he has crazy deals also checkout redcatrampageforums.com.
Redcat 1/5th are not 'quality'. They are good for the price, but they are still cheap. There is absolutely NO comparison between redcat (sic: Himoto) 1/5th cars and the much more expensive cars. None whatsoever.

This undeserved reputation they have is a phenomenon caused by a small group of people who control and manipulate discussion around these vehicles, quickly stamping out anything negative anyone has to say. You get precisely what you pay for nothing more, don't be fooled by the fanboy rhetoric (it's amazing what people will accept as the truth from parties with a clear vested interest in promoting something). It's a marketing game that they have played very well. Kudos to them.

Don't think I'm bashing, I'm not. I never said you don't get your money's worth with a Redcat, on the contrary, you do, but this crazy situation of them being compared to much more expensive cars which are much better has got to be brought under control, it's ridiculous. Let me put it in perspective for you... If I said to you, which is better, a Redcat or an HPI Baja...you'd rightly say the HPI Baja, and then cite the fact that it costs nearly twice as much, and you'd be right. Consider then that the HPI Baja is at the bottom of the pile of 'quality' large scale radio control cars, and you begin to see what I'm saying. When you've seen what else is out there, you realise that redcat is what it is, a well priced entry level car.
wow...you say your not bashing Redcat but it sure sounds like you are. First off in all fairness to you, you spoke of 1/5 scale but it sounded to me like you meant the complete line up as a whole.

To call forum members ''fanboys'' is kind of funny. I mean aren't most of us on this blog fans of Redcat? Sure some people come on here and post about how bad they think the company is, but in general most of the posts I've read have been positive about the product.

You said they are not quality, good for the price but still cheap. Well what determines quality? My $150 Redcat Tornado is of much better quality than my HPI Nitro MT2 which retails for $340. I have repaired my front and rear diffs on the HPI with the Redcat diff gears-same parts...$20 dollar difference. The Redcat came with aluminum threaded shocks that don't leak like the plastic HPI shocks. The Redcat came with pivot ball suspension, the HPI came with the standard plastic steering knuckles that strip at the control arm screws after a few jumps. The Redcat came with a polished aluminum pipe that looks and sounds good, the HPI came with a quiet plastic pipe. I realize the MT2 is at the lower end of the HPI pole, but either way according to your definition of quality, it should be a better quality car because it costs more and came from a better recognized company.

As far as comparing them to more expensive cars, why not? Are you saying that an 1/8 scale Redcat ''pick your model'' won't compare at all to a lower end 1/8 scale Losi 810 or Traxxas slayer? After your done modding or repairing either of the two you'll still be $100 ahead with the Redcat even after your done tweaking it.

By the way, I'm not a party that has a clear and vested interest in Redcat. I'm just a dad that likes RC too! I am not a dealer and I don't sell parts on ebay, but I am very happy with what Redcat has to offer. I honestly think a lot of their bad reputation is because their products are so inexpensive, that young kids get these cars as gifts and don't have a clue about break in or adjusting things mechanicaly. The end result is after learning a few things, they toss the Redcat and buy another companies car which seems to work better after their school of hard knocks with their first car, the Redcat.

OK, one point at a time.

How did it sound like I spoke about the lineup as a whole, when I specifically spoke about 1/5th and nothing else, responding to a post talking about 1/5th and nothing else... I have EXTENSIVE experience in the gas world, I have currently 4 1/5th scale models, ranging from the sordidly expensive to the cheap and nasty. I do know what I'm talking about. At one time I had 8 with $15,000 between them! I don't own any redcats, nor ever would (they are not in the market segment that interests me), but I have seen plenty of the himotos up close and personal.

Regarding 'fanboys', perhaps you haven't heard this term before. A fanboy is someone who thinks that their brand is the be all and end all, and will not accept any other opinions. I did not refer to anyone in particular so don't make assumptions. Those of us who know this market for years know exactly who these people are and where to find them, however, they can and do pop up anywhere. The fanboys I refer to are well known in the 1/5th segment, you would not believe the shenannigans that go on in the 1/5th market, it's positively Machiavellian (and this is NOT exclusive to Redcat, nor did I suggest it was). With all due respect you don't know what you're talking about in regards to this. I most certainly am not referring to you, or anyone else who doesn't have a vested interest in the success of these particular models. I believe you are a novice RCer who has found happiness in the Redcat lineup getting decent models for cheap prices and I praise you for having done so and standing up for what you believe.

As for comparing them to expensive cars... Take my HPI Baja example in the post above, read it again, t makes sense. The 1/8th models you refer to are irrelevant to this discussion, but since you brought it up, yes, the racing models are generally are worth their extra money, but of course this is to varying degrees. Do they represent the same VALUE for money as the Redcats? In most cases, probably not. Some do though... Do yourself a favor one day, spend $500 on an Xray XB808, you will very soon understand the difference and why Xray has a reputation for the highest quality cars in the hobby. I wouldn't touch the other cheap cars either, it's not a Redcat exclusive thing, but that's fine, because they are not aimed at people like me either.

You need to step back and take a more objective look at the REST of the market to understand what I'm saying. I am sure you are very happy with your redcats, and you should be, most of them are good cars, but please understand there is MUCH better stuff out there, and Himoto is NOT trying to compete with them, to suggest they are is just wrong, the manufacturer themselves will say "We are aimed at the low cost segment". The better stuff is much more expensive as it should be, and as such is not comparable. Value for money does not directly correlate to quality. Having said that, of course there are exceptions (such as your HPI, and one or two Associated models I could name). The major manufacturers make horrendous design errors sometimes.

You have judged me unfairly. Read my post above again with a more objective eye, think about what I'm saying, because I am not saying anything bad about Redcat. In their market segment they are fine vehicles. What gets my goat is when people compare them to my FG, or my MCDs, because there is literally no comparison, which is why those models are twice or three times the price. It's frankly insulting having spent $3000 on a top of the line gasser to have some redcat fanboy say that their $600 car is 'comparable', when it simply isn't. That is all I was trying to say.

For what it's worth Dad, I completely agree with your opening sentiment that there are too many RC snobs who just don't 'get' what Redcat is all about. You really are trying to preach to the converted here. I completely 'get' what Redcat cars are for, and think they are great for what they offer for the money, I can't overstate the value for money that Redcat offers.
I wouldn't dispute anything you have to say here Foxy. I think in my original postI meant to use the word "value" in place of "quality". I am realatively new to the hobby but have seen some MCD's and man.... those things are works of art! However, I think stating that "those things don't break" is disingenuous. Furthermore, when we speak of "quality"I wonder how much of that is form over function? In regards to the MCD ist's beautiful. All of the of the aluminum is beveled, polished, etc., but that is all aestheics and has nothing to do with performance. Now I'm not trying to compare an MCD to a Redcat, but with some hopups, fixes, and and otherwise better parts an a good day the redcat xbcan smoke a baja. Plenty of proof on youtube. So in that regard you can get a LOT of fun hobby for a fraction of the price.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:52 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Thanks for saying it he has went to far to say that he does not break I know what I am talking about also I have 4 1/5 scale redcat 2 king motors 2MCD and 2 HPI 1/5 scale with the LOSI on the way and one thing they all have in common they break one wrong crash and one wrong jump and they will break and parts do wear down thats just the way it is with any products. So I could not have said you are wastting your money I have too much in 5 scales and have been racing 5th scales way before it became popular so I know what I am talking about. "HE DOES NOT BREAK" yea right just crazy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Night_Train

I have been going through alot of videos and reviews of redcat rc's.  They even make it clear in some of the videos that they are not out to try to take over the industry, That they are more about introducing the rc hobby to  "new comers"   and to get them involved and and spark new interests at a less painful and affordable price range
Old 12-09-2011, 06:39 AM
haole

the thing about redcats is that they are cheap but it seems like you can at least get replacement parts more easily than with other cheap RC brands. Their website and ebay seem to have a decent amount of replacement parts. Am I wrong? Maybe guys that own the can answer this...
Old 12-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Dads like rc too

haole- you'll have no problem finding any parts you need on ebay or online hobby stores. When I'm looking for parts under $5.00 I try to find as much as I can on ebay with free shipping. There is tons of stuff on there. If I'm looking to make multiple part purchases I usually buy from RC Planet. They offer $2.50 shipping so if I'm spending a little more it's worth paying the shipping to get the parts cheaper.

It's really a shame that my local hobby shop doesn't stock Redcat. I've talked to him a few times about it. He's told me how Redcat is just junk and not worth the hassle. What he doesn't understand is I'm not a racer. I like to have fun running around the neighborhood and parks with my son. Redcat is perfect out of the box for this. The hobby shop is a Traxxas dealer. The cheapest nitro anything they sell is around $350.00. At that price range I would have never got involved in the hobby if I had to purchase two cars for $700 to $800 dollars. I've had very minimal problems with the two Redcats I own. Normal wear and tear. I'm not ripping on the pricier cars. They have their place but right now it is not with me. I would like to support the local businesses, I buy replacement and upgrade parts almost weekly. Unfortunately this is done all on the internet since they are not available locally. I wonder how many other dads that have a family budget to keep up with first before RC cars feel the same way?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 AM
rob64n

Foxy,I was thinkin you were gonna be an ok person coming back, what's with the attitude. You are a Moderater to police the forum, not to instagate BS.. To clear up a few things, from my understanding HSP makes the product, so don't compare Redcat to Himoto. They may look the same but different distributors put in their own values to what gets used for this and that. Redcat has stepped up a few things, that others may have not,if you owned one you would know this in your (years of exp in gas cars) Now as for top notch cars, no such thing. They all have two things in common. All RC cars break, they all come from across seas. (exception on Associated) now if everyone would just drive their cars to enjoy the hobby instead of who's &!*%'s bigger, we all might get along. Don't Hate, Appreciate.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 AM
haole

haole- you'll have no problem finding any parts you need on ebay or online hobby stores. When I'm looking for parts under $5.00 I try to find as much as I can on ebay with free shipping. There is tons of stuff on there. If I'm looking to make multiple part purchases I usually buy from RC Planet. They offer $2.50 shipping so if I'm spending a little more it's worth paying the shipping to get the parts cheaper.

It's really a shame that my local hobby shop doesn't stock Redcat. I've talked to him a few times about it. He's told me how Redcat is just junk and not worth the hassle. What he doesn't understand is I'm not a racer. I like to have fun running around the neighborhood and parks with my son. Redcat is perfect out of the box for this. The hobby shop is a Traxxas dealer. The cheapest nitro anything they sell is around $350.00. At that price range I would have never got involved in the hobby if I had to purchase two cars for $700 to $800 dollars. I've had very minimal problems with the two Redcats I own. Normal wear and tear. I'm not ripping on the pricier cars. They have their place but right now it is not with me. I would like to support the local businesses, I buy replacement and upgrade parts almost weekly. Unfortunately this is done all on the internet since they are not available locally. I wonder how many other dads that have a family budget to keep up with first before RC cars feel the same way?
I agree. I'm also a dad with a tight tight budget so as much as I would like to get a stampede 4x4 VXL I just cant afford it.

ok maybe this is why dealers dont cary their products..."You'll be able to take advantage of our purchasing power to offer the best Chinese RC Vehicles available to your customers"

I'm guessing a lot of RC products are made in china but maybe they should remove that "CHINESE"
Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: rob64n

Foxy,I was thinkin you were gonna be an ok person coming back, what's with the attitude. You are a Moderater to police the forum, not to instagate BS.. To clear up a few things, from my understanding HSP makes the product, so don't compare Redcat to Himoto. They may look the same but different distributors put in their own values to what gets used for this and that. Redcat has stepped up a few things, that others may have not,if you owned one you would know this in your (years of exp in gas cars) Now as for top notch cars, no such thing. They all have two things in common. All RC cars break, they all come from across seas. (exception on Associated) now if everyone would just drive their cars to enjoy the hobby instead of who's &!*%'s bigger, we all might get along. Don't Hate, Appreciate.
Read my posts again.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:01 PM
edgeverse

I have been a redcat owner for almost a year. I have no real problems with them. Thier support was more than good when I had an issue with a defective ESC that was killing my battery pack. I contacted them, shipped it to them as asked and the next thing I know, they ship me out a new one free of charge via UPS. These guys have my deepest utmost respect.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:12 PM
haole

ORIGINAL: edgeverse

I have been a redcat owner for almost a year. I have no real problems with them. Thier support was more than good when I had an issue with a defective ESC that was killing my battery pack. I contacted them, shipped it to them as asked and the next thing I know, they ship me out a new one free of charge via UPS. These guys have my deepest utmost respect.
Thats pretty cool. But I'm guessing there are Redcat people trolling this forum to promote their image...im basing that guess off the fact that their website has a link to this site. I would do the same thing though.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Foxy

Indeed, there are people on both sides, and sometimes it's hard to separate those who are objective from those who are not.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does anyone know for certain who manufactures redcat's models?

I know some think its HSP, and that may be.

But it seems odd to me that if HSP made redcat's line that they dont sell many of the models themselves.

They have their own line, and some are simillar to redcat's but then they have ones redcat doesnt....and redcat has ones that HSP doesnt.

I could be wrong, but I have wondered if Redcat has more than 1 supplier. IE, do they get their 1/5 scale from a different source than the rest of their line?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:29 AM
rchobbyunlimited

ORIGINAL: rob64n

+1 Very well said ,if you owned one you would know this in your (years of exp in gas cars) Now as for top notch cars, no such thing.very well said AAAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++++++

Old 12-14-2011, 02:42 PM
rob64n

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

does anyone know for certain who manufactures redcat's models?

I know some think its HSP, and that may be.

But it seems odd to me that if HSP made redcat's line that they dont sell many of the models themselves.

They have their own line, and some are simillar to redcat's but then they have ones redcat doesnt....and redcat has ones that HSP doesnt.

I could be wrong, but I have wondered if Redcat has more than 1 supplier. IE, do they get their 1/5 scale from a different source than the rest of their line?

Redcat has a few manf. HSP is mainly for the 1/5 scales if I recall.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:05 PM
1ofmyfuns

Well, I haven't been saying anything on here for a while now but I just wanted to ring in here and say that there are many good points being made on both sides of this discusion IMHO.

I own Nitro Powered Traxxas and Redcat trucks & buggy, neither are top of the line vehicles in price or quality in some areas but I have had a huge amount of fun with each and neither breaks the bank when they do break, parts are cheap and easy to come by so for me that is a good thing.

Like most everything made there is always good and bad points in design and just like all the rest, in my experience the Redcat products have good and not so good just like most of the rest, major difference is that the Redcat products have such a lower initial cost that it is well worth it IMO to fix the not so good with some upgrades as the weak areas fail and you'll still have a less expensive RC than many and it's now better than some of the higher priced ones when they come out of the box in some areas of coarse, Shrug.......

I'll conclude my opinions here by saying that if Redcat's products cost the same as the better quality cars, buggies and trucks then people would have a legitimate quality complaint, but the fact is they're much cheaper in almost all cases and they are avertised to be more of an entry level RC line so why don't we just come to grips with the fact of what the Redcat line up is all about and enjoy our economical cheap and easy to fix Redcats and if we have the money to throw at the "high dollar" stuff then by all means do so and enjoy them as well, no need to put downeither one in my opinion, most people buy what they can and do the best they can with what they have, if you like your Redcats.......who cares what anyone else thinks about them, if you like what you have that's all that matters, I hate popularity contest on every level personally......[:'(] 

I hope everyone has wonderful Christmas and a wonderful New Year..!

Peace, 1omf
Old 12-20-2011, 06:22 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Always interesting reading about Redcat on RCU. I'm a big Fanboy and proud of it. Best bang for the buck in the RC world.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.