Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

what advantages does the baja 5sc have over the 5b?

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

what advantages does the baja 5sc have over the 5b?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:27 PM
maq1919
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what advantages does the baja 5sc have over the 5b?

Thinking about getting a baja sc. Want to knowwhat makes this better or worse than the 5b buggy. let me know. thanks.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: what advantages does the baja 5sc have over the 5b?

Bigger tires and different body style, that's basically it. Slightly adjusted suspension geometry. Some would say its more durable because of the extra bumpers and body parts.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:32 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: maq1919

Thinking about getting a baja sc. Want to knowwhat makes this better or worse than the 5b buggy. let me know. thanks.

The Baja guys tell me that the wing on the buggy doesn't do much to keep the back down. With a narrow body, the buggy is more prone to go nose down off jumps. The SC body sometimes causes the vehicle to "kite", but it also decreases the nose down attitude off jumps. In my area, the SC is more popular.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 PM
sheograth

The SC is also more prone to body damage, just because the body is exposed a lot. The 5B body is within the vehicle footprint, and is much cheaper to replace if it breaks. You can always put 5SC wheels and tires on the 5B if you want. Either can accept wideners, chassis mods, and almost all hop ups are good for both. Basically it boils down to what style you prefer.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The 5T, SC weighs about 6 pounds more out of the box then the 5B. 5t,sc replacement clear bodies cost around $170 and 5b about $30. The 5t, SC bodies get beat up easier then the 5b. Many with the 5t or sc do not run a body just a cage.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM
kg2mb

The 5sc has new thicker dogbones and axles,new one piece rear hubs,new cliplees front axles and other things i cant remember
the 5sc is the most updated baja rite now
Old 12-13-2011, 03:04 PM
sheograth

That's true, drivetrain upgragedes that have been made along th the way are incorporateted into to the. 5SC. You could always make it look like a buggy if you want.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:35 PM
46u

Some even with the heavy duty dog bones and cups have messed them up. You are better off going with after market that are better then an HPI. I modified my front hubs years ago to do away with the C clips on the front.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 AM
wyattroa

same car different tires and body
Old 12-14-2011, 05:50 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

If the price of a body is what determines if you buy car x over car y then you probably shouldnt be getting in to this hobby (or at least large scale any way). The larger the car the more expensive parts are. It isn't nothing to drop $100 bucks in parts for these things.

The price of a body, or the arugment that they (large scale in general) are cheaper because they run gasoline vs glow fuel is not really a valid arguement. If your going to make the plunge and get a large sale rc, then get the one you want, not the one that is the easiest on the wallet. If the wallet is the ultimate decision then keep all the money and dont buy one. You will be much farther a head if the goal is to save money.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:03 PM
5bbasher

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

If the price of a body is what determines if you buy car x over car y then you probably shouldnt be getting in to this hobby (or at least large scale any way). The larger the car the more expensive parts are. It isn't nothing to drop $100 bucks in parts for these things.

The price of a body, or the arugment that they (large scale in general) are cheaper because they run gasoline vs glow fuel is not really a valid arguement. If your going to make the plunge and get a large sale rc, then get the one you want, not the one that is the easiest on the wallet. If the wallet is the ultimate decision then keep all the money and dont buy one. You will be much farther a head if the goal is to save money.
well said jbooker!

i'd like to ad a bit to it. in regards to saving money, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING A CLONE stick with hpi and you will be happy

Old 12-16-2011, 04:22 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sippirat

i'd like to ad a bit to it. in regards to saving money, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING A CLONE stick with hpi and you will be happy
I bought a clone and I am happy!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

Indeed well said. I don't think I've paid a visit to my LHS for any of my large scales and spent less than 200 euros (at least $250) each time. What gets you is that 20 bucks for this, 25 bucks for that, doesn't sound so bad, but man it mounts up fast, especially when you have to buy large bearings, large tires as well. Suddenly with just a set of tires, a few bearings, and 2 or 3 spare parts, you're looking at a $300 bill.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:46 AM
5bbasher

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

ORIGINAL: sippirat

I bought a clone and I am happy!

Man you could have been so much happier

Old 12-16-2011, 06:50 AM
bbuzzard

Don't think so...my pockets were happy and therefore I was happy. I am really tired of folks telling me how to spend my money...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:03 AM
5bbasher

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

Don't think so...my pockets were happy and therefore I was happy. I am really tired of folks telling me how to spend my money...
Not tellin you how to spend your money. This is maq1919's thread. He is talkin original hpi here. You jumped in here and you can jump back out. I'm sure there is a clone thread where you will feel welcome

Old 12-16-2011, 07:58 AM
bbuzzard

biting my lip...
Old 12-16-2011, 08:59 AM
5bbasher

Maq1919, as a hpi 5b owner i can agree with nitroexpress on the nose dive attitude compared to the T or SC. Dont get me wrong the B is awsome but there are times when i wish i had the T or SC for this reason only. I am currently workin on some mods to improve this. You cant go wrong with either one and it all depends on what you want. I your case i would go with the SC for reasons stated above. With all of the parts available today it is easy to covert from one to the other