Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > General Racing Discussion
Reload this Page >

NEW Q40 & Q500 Engine by DKT Engines

Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

NEW Q40 & Q500 Engine by DKT Engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Draketuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Q40 & Q500 Engine by DKT Engines

New Q40 & Q500 Engine by DKT Engines with LM MotorSport.
Available from 31/01/2012

Soon the special launch offer and price list of parts on our website.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 AM
djlyon

Default RE: NEW Q40 & Q500 Engine by DKT Engines

I see on RC Network in a post by Gerald Coors that flight test of this motor will be started soon by at least 3 well known pylon racers from Australia, USA and Italy. Also there is an indication that the motor may be raced in the Q40 classic in Phoenix in 2012 pending it's approval by AMA/NMPRA.

Draketuned do I have this right?

Denis
Old 12-07-2011, 02:26 PM
kane

ORIGINAL: djlyon

I see on RC Network in a post by Gerald Coors that flight test of this motor will be started soon by at least 3 well known pylon racers from Australia, USA and Italy. Also there is an indication that the motor may be raced in the Q40 classic in Phoenix in 2012 pending it's approval by AMA/NMPRA.

Denis

As of today this motor is NOT legal for competition under AMA rules. (I am not saying anything other than it is not legal today).

The AMA rules governing approval of engines for use in AMA event 422 have recently changed. IT would be extremely difficult to get this motor approved by Feb 2012. Therefore, I don't see this happening. I am not saying it couldn't, it is highly unlikely. And if anyone is planning on traveling to the US for the PHX competition, you must check the rules prior to arriving with any motor other than the currently approved Jett or Nelson motor.

DK
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: kane

ORIGINAL: djlyon

Denis

As of today this motor is NOT legal for competition under AMA rules. (I am not saying anything other than it is not legal today).

The AMA rules governing approval of engines for use in AMA event 422 have recently changed. IT would be extremely difficult to get this motor approved by Feb 2012. Therefore, I don't see this happening. I am not saying it couldn't, it is highly unlikely. And if anyone is planning on traveling to the US for the PHX competition, you must check the rules prior to arriving with any motor other than the currently approved Jett or Nelson motor.

DK
Dan is 100% correct.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Draketuned

We never said that the Q40 engine was approved by AMA, we only said it would be released in January 2012.
We would like the Q40 engine being approved by AMA, this would be a great satisfaction. We hope to have the approval as soon as possible.
The engine will be released in 31/12/2012, we are doing the tests and the engine is really good.
We would like the pilots say " the engine is good ", we hope to do this.

Ciaoooo

Old 12-09-2011, 10:15 AM
kane

My comments were in reference to having some at the PHX race in 2012. Based on my knowledge this is not possible.

Also your response mentions that it will be released at the end of December in 2012, does this mean you are not selling any motors until this time? In 22 days it will be 31/12/2011.

Dan
Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Draketuned

ORIGINAL: kane

My comments were in reference to having some at the PHX race in 2012. Based on my knowledge this is not possible.

Also your response mentions that it will be released at the end of December in 2012, does this mean you are not selling any motors until this time? In 22 days it will be 31/12/2011.

Dan
The engine will be available from 31/01/2012.

53 days and you can buy it.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:10 AM
luv to race

Is there any idea on the cost of the engine?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see no reason as to WHY they can t bring them out for testing during practice days,,, to see how they do.

BV
Old 12-14-2011, 04:29 AM
luv to race

Hey BV,

My best guess.. someone could test fly these as much as they want. I think Dan Kane and company have to weigh the good and bad of bringing another engine Mfg into our hobby. It will be a very opionated subject for sure. Same as it was for Robert Vandenbosch when he brought his Q40 motor to Ft. Lauderdale. There are processes and rules to be followed, some folks don't agree with the procedures involved.. so guys like the process used. For the most part I believe we have some stability back in our hobby, keeping engine changes to the absolute bare minimum brings stabilitly. Bringing in another engine Mfg can possibly break down the core of what we have.

We will sit back and see what happens..

Randy Bridge
Old 12-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Draketuned

The engine will be released on 31/01/2012, that day will be published all the information and photos.
We want the engine to be tried by pilots in the race.

The price of the engine will be the same of others on the market.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Draketuned

Ciaooo

Old 12-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Bill Vargas

RB, I totally agree about having a stable set of rules. Now lets use them for the sport of model airplane Racing,,, promote and welcome the new stuff,,, its written there in AMA's Vision and mission statements.

But, what I need to understand is,,, why and where is it written that only 2 engine makes are allowed? Or is that someones personal thing???

Why are people so against or afraid of the advancement within the sport of model airplane Q40 Racing? OR should I say,,, Whats the big deal? This reminds me of when Fred brought in the C/F props and where this sport is now if it wasn t for him. Its a good thing I said ok to that prop while I was in Florida.

AMA doesn t care how fast we go or how big the RC Model airplane gets,,, well so long as it doesn t go past 125lbs. If there was issues with speed, its not due to Q40,,, more like them turbins, DS gliders, GS Racing that can hit 250MPH with ease. Notice I didn t say anything about F3D speeds.

I say let them run and Race here, in the States,,, or this sport is forever stuck in the past.

BV
Old 12-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Bill Vargas

[
Old 12-16-2011, 07:26 AM
kane

ORIGINAL: Bill Vargas

RB, I totally agree about having a stable set of rules. Now lets use them for the sport of model airplane Racing,,, promote and welcome the new stuff,,, its written there in AMA's Vision and mission statements.

But, what I need to understand is,,, why and where is it written that only 2 engine makes are allowed? Or is that someones personal thing???

Why are people so against or afraid of the advancement within the sport of model airplane Q40 Racing? OR should I say,,, Whats the big deal? This reminds me of when Fred brought in the C/F props and where this sport is now if it wasn t for him. Its a good thing I said ok to that prop while I was in Florida.

AMA doesn t care how fast we go or how big the RC Model airplane gets,,, well so long as it doesn t go past 125lbs. If there was issues with speed, its not due to Q40,,, more like them turbins, DS gliders, GS Racing that can hit 250MPH with ease. Notice I didn t say anything about F3D speeds.

I say let them run and Race here, in the States,,, or this sport is forever stuck in the past.

BV

Bill,

The AMA rules just changed regarding the legality of motors. And as of the date the proposal was accepted 11-1, only two engines are legal and that is written into the rules. The old set of rules do not reflect this change. When the AMA site is updated it will reflect this change. I am here to tell you what the current rules are.

I don't think we are living in the past, we are learning from past mistakes. Nobody is afraid of the advancement of Q-40. It has not yet been determined that this will advance Q-40. Time will tell and now the AMA has procedures to check this engine to determine if it belongs in our events. The engine committee will vote on legality. The MFG will no longer determine what we need.

IF this engine meets the criteria established by the engine committee, it will be allowed. IF is fails in any area per the criteria it will be rejected. Plain and simple. Nobody has even seen this engine yet. Let the process work and stop being a sideline critic.

Dan Kane
Old 12-16-2011, 11:19 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting only 2 engines are allowed. Since Nelsons are scarce if not impossible to buy new (unless I am missing something) then it looks like another engine is needed anyway.
Understanding that this is what the rules say, what would have been the motivation for such a rule? Only 2 engines. Being a free market kind of guy, I say allow as many as possible. Or would it be a pain to keep track of all of these engines as a contest director?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 AM
djlyon

New manufactured Nelsons are readily available. You missed something. What is a pain is buying a new engine every couple of months just to make sure you have the latest and greatest. The committee will allow a new engine and make sure the playing field stays level.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

As stated new Nelsons are available from Mike Langlois. This is his e-mail address:
[email protected] I visited Michael's machine shop a few months ago and he
has more engines, and parts than there is demand. I hesitate to make claimes, but in my
opinion, these new Nelsons may very well be better than previous engines. Time will tell?
I've been in pylon racing more than 40 years, and one of the hardest lessons learned is that
when only a handfull of people have equipment that is significantely better then what everyone
else has, it is BAD for racing overall. For most of us this is a hobby, which means that at some
point there has to be rules to rein in rampant escalation in either equipment or price. Greg
Old 12-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Bill Vargas

Dan, sorry for being a "DICK"

I hate seeing wasted new ideas and technologies when the old stuff is being preserved for whatever reason(???).

BV
Old 12-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Rocket
My Feedback: (4)

Dan, sorry for being a ''DICK''
LOL, and your short... thats a double whammy.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Bill Vargas

ORIGINAL: teamfutaba

Dan, sorry for being a ''DICK''
LOL, and your short... thats a double whammy.
yup,,, but I fly BIG,,, just like before

BV
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74478.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1701690  
Old 12-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Draketuned

Old 12-19-2011, 08:01 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Well this changes everything!!!!! If she comes with the engine, my vote is to make it LEGAL!
By the way, has anyone seen the muffler, not that it makes any difference now. Greg
Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the engines are as nice as the advertising, folks will like 'em..
Old 12-19-2011, 09:29 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy an engine and get a caller free?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.