Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 PM
sandyspad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Just flew #2 Vanquish 4 flights today, only about 46 degs. Had a strange thing happen, the canopy cracked on both sides toward the front. Have no idea why that happened, wonder if temp change may have contributed. Cracks are about 4 inches long in resin over the fiberglass. Saw it before I flew, gluded it and flew anyway.

Mike
Old 12-16-2011, 09:41 PM
rix

My Vanquish has the same issue, but it came shipped that way. Very similar to what you describe; both sides toward the front about 4 inches long in resin over the fiberglass.

Rick
Old 12-17-2011, 02:44 PM
sandyspad

Rick, I think some of the canopys are a bit thin, mine was really flexible till I put medium CA on the inside where the crack ran. Stiffened it up quite a bit. Tried the canopy from #1 and it fit OK except the mount screws didn't line up. Guess I'll have to call and see if replacement canopies are available.

Mike
Old 12-17-2011, 03:14 PM
barnowljenx

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike,

If you are going to call to find out about Vanquish spares, could you also ask about spare wheel pants?

Thanks, Peter
Old 12-17-2011, 04:03 PM
BoomerSooner
My Feedback: (80)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully spares are on this next container. Mine came cracked as well
Old 12-17-2011, 07:13 PM
rix

Mine only had cracks on the surface, no cracks on the inside. Odd, it looks like it just split on the surface almost like the paint cracked.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:25 PM
David Leitch

Hi

Unless I am mistaken the tail wheel assembly that came with mine is different to that shown in the manual. Photo attached. I am not familiar with this particular assembly. I wanted to check that the appropriate installation method is to drill a hole in the rear post of the fuse and just glue it in? Or am I missing something?

Hopefully have mine in the air later this week with the Neu F3A motor.

cheers
Dave in Sydney
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27717.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	1701543  
Old 12-18-2011, 12:06 AM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: David Leitch

Hi

Unless I am mistaken the tail wheel assembly that came with mine is different to that shown in the manual. Photo attached. I am not familiar with this particular assembly. I wanted to check that the appropriate installation method is to drill a hole in the rear post of the fuse and just glue it in? Or am I missing something?

Hopefully have mine in the air later this week with the Neu F3A motor.

cheers
Dave in Sydney
Yep, it's the assembly from F3AUnlimited, quite nice. Just drill a 1/4 inch hole about a 1/4 inch from the back in the center and put epoxy on the tail wheel, but put a small piece of tape to cover the tip of the wire where it comes through the mount so no epoxy gets in there. As I recall I actually trial fitted it with the wire in place, but with no epoxy, then I removed the wire, coated it in vaseline and made sure the interior of the mount was well coated as well. Removed the wire again, covered the opening with painter's tape, 30-minute epoxied the hole and slid the mount into place. Let the epoxy set up for 15 minutes, coated the wire with vaseline again then slid the tailwheel wire into place and pressed it through the painter's tape into it's final position. Removed it one last time and waited for the epoxy to finish setting up. I wanted to make sure there was room for the wire after the glue went into place, but that no glue gummed up the works. Probably overkill, but it worked. If I'd really thought about it I could have glued the mount assembly into place and then used a drill bit to make clearance for the tailwheel wire after everything set up.

Peter+
Old 12-18-2011, 12:57 PM
doogiehl

Hi Dave see page 23 of forum and Petes recommendation and youre set.
Hanns in Sydney. Ps let me know when your done well have to go flying.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:43 PM
David Leitch

Thanks guys. 

Making slow but steady progress. 

Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 PM
lee101

can someone help me measure the plane length with out the rudder?

i hope it will fit into my car with a removable rudder.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:37 PM
danamania

The top of the vertical stab extends the full depth of the rudder so not sure if a removable one will help much. Looks like 76" from the spinner to the end of the stab. Hope this helps. Cheers.

ORIGINAL: lee101

Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 PM
David Leitch

Tested the neu f3a motor with jeti 90 esc and a falcon prop. I was concerned about whether the jeti would be a good fit with the neu. 

Happy to say no problems so far. Quite the reverse. Very smooth power delivery. I was only using 8s for testing and still seemed to have plenty of power. Also very smooth control using the throttle trim. Much better than my older jeti/hacker combo used on an extra. Just waiting on some extension leads and working out how to use an incidence meter (alternative is the TLAR method) and should be good to go. 

Old 12-21-2011, 06:55 PM
David Leitch

ORIGINAL: lee101

I make it about 1800 from tip of spinner to start of rudder. You do realize there is a fixed rudder "top bit". I guess that could be made removable and just screwed bac in. It's only small light and mostly decorative.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:57 PM
lee101

You do realize there is a fixed rudder "top bit". I guess that could be made removable and just screwed bac in. It's only small light and mostly decorative.

???? please advise as i have not purchase the kit.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 PM
pvogel

Take a look at my picture near the top of page 26 of this thread, you can see clearly where the rudder top ends and the vertical stab continues for another inch or so.

At best you'll shrink the length of the plane's longitudinal footprint by 1-2 inches by removing the rudder since it does have a bit of a taper to it.

Peter+
Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 PM
David Leitch

You could cut the post off and have a thin strip joiner on top wit a couple of screws in each end.  Even I could do it and I am a hopeless builder
Old 12-21-2011, 08:28 PM
lee101

sound like a plan!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:35 AM
mxcop114
My Feedback: (5)

Could one of you guys that have a cracked canopy post a picture? I'm curious to see what it looks like, my Vanquish was one of only a couple from the first shipment we had in the US and I haven't had any trouble with mine, I've got plenty of flights on it and it's holding up very well. Have any of you contacted Extreme Flight about this issue? Sorry I haven't been in here much, it's difficult trying to follow all the threads on all the sites about all of our planes, I will make it a point to get in here every day to assist any of you that may have questions or need support.

Lee
Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 AM
sandyspad

Iv'e been goofing off and haven't contacted EF yet about the cracked canopy, guess I'll do that after Christmas. They did have wheel pants, cause I ordered some a while back and got them pretty quick. Don't use that wood screw to hold them on or you'll also be ordering new ones. A 4-40 screw and blind nut is the answer. Good instructions on the tail wheel Pete.

Mike
Old 12-23-2011, 01:11 PM
mxcop114
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: sandyspad

Iv'e been goofing off and haven't contacted EF yet about the cracked canopy, guess I'll do that after Christmas. They did have wheel pants, cause I ordered some a while back and got them pretty quick. Don't use that wood screw to hold them on or you'll also be ordering new ones. A 4-40 screw and blind nut is the answer. Good instructions on the tail wheel Pete.

Mike
Yes the screw and blind nut is the way to go. Chris is away with family for the holidays right now, I'll find out if they have canopies in stock, however the best thing to do is contact them by phone and email them with a picture of the damage, if it came out of the box that way I'm sure they will take care of you, looks like there are a few others with the same problem. They will be back in the office Tuesday. Maybe Blair will jump in here and let us know if the have canopies in stock, if not I'm sure they will have some on the container due right around New Years.

Lee
Old 12-23-2011, 02:19 PM
dando

Hey, guys! A bit off-topic, but today I had some spare time and built a small stick plane which is a scaled down Vanquish
Here are a few pics. I could upload the drawings if there's any interest.

Merry Christmas!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72772.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1704176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60649.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1704177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87754.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1704178  
Old 12-23-2011, 02:53 PM
barnowljenx

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Dando - please do upload your drawings as I would like to build a Vanquish stick plane and copying someone else's sounds like a smart thing to do!

Peter
Old 12-23-2011, 03:11 PM
dando

ORIGINAL: barnowljenx

Dando - please do upload your drawings as I would like to build a Vanquish stick plane and copying someone else's sounds like a smart thing to do!

Peter
No problem! Here it is in .pdf format, A4 paper format. Sorry about the weird black dots in the left corner above
These drawings are approximate. I used pictures to draw over them, so the outlines and color patterns aren't exact.
And, oh yes, I used 3mm depron, and had to cut the vertical part of the fuselage in half. I offset the center line that goes through the spinner to 1.5mm to both sides. If needed, I could correct the drawings.

Happy building!

Nickolay
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mk27133.pdf (97.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 12-26-2011, 05:20 PM
doogiehl

Hi Guys,
re wheel pants.
My wheel pants were over sized. Tried to drill hole for 4 - 40 bind nut but not enough meat to drill the larger hole for the blind nut. Had to epoxy up the hole and put some fine glass cloth to build up the gap so that the pants would sit on the axel more snuggly. Im going back to the original screw with a small dab of silicon to help seating and a drop of cyano to help preserve the thread through the ply mounting plate.
I am not sure how you guys put a 4-40 bolt inplace unless you drill another hole through the CF gear higher up.
I usually dont land that hard but do fly off grass fields. I havent had a problem with other pants where the axel clamps the wheel pant.
Mine came in the kitso loose that the woodscrew was just holding thepants with cutout waving in the breeze.

Re cutting of top of rudder.
This would change some of the flight characteristics for the purists, subtle changes in knife edge,snaps,recovery fromsnaps and spins,? roll toward canopy on rudder application,and perhaps other flight characteristics eg slight increase in rudder sensitivity which you might want in3D flying but not in F3A, not that I would notice cos I Aint that good a flyer, sortof like the new radios with ultra high res sticks,iaint good enough tofeel any difference.

Solution: good excuse to trade in the car( get a (column shift theres more room for the rudder)....dont tell thewife that....say your planning for the future additions to the family ifshe has the maternal instinct for more additions!!!!! Ha but that may cause less time for flying .
I am looking for a used horse trailer at the moment the new H9 3.1m Sukhoi26mm wont fit the R class easily.

regards and Happy New Year

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.