Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Gas or electric? Give it to me!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Gas or electric? Give it to me!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas or electric? Give it to me!

wrong one.

He got you there Ron...
Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 PM
91zulu

And Ron you think your electric sound system can compete with this...[X(]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmYbW4o5PRk

Come now don`t force yourself too much to answer
Old 12-22-2011, 08:12 PM
91zulu

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

World war 2 fighter? - check.

Scale looks? - check.

Scale sound? - check.

Scale smell? - check.

Scale cost? - pound for pound, probably more than the original, unfortunately. [&o]

John.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka0dg9NRgtQ

Here we go... he got you there Ron
Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 91zulu

And Ron you think your electric sound system can compete with this...[X(]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmYbW4o5PRk

Come now don`t force yourself too much to answer

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDwdJpq9iI[/youtube]

Most gassers sound like lawn equipment. That one, however, does not. Sounds sweet.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

you guys..look I can admit the turbines and radials sound sweet..no doubt
but my only point is I don't think many really know how far e power has come

The new fans we are flying in our E power jets sound very much like a jet

here is an electric vampire with a Stu Max EDF.. I have two of these fans in some of my jets and guys always go nuts over the sound. Even my buds that fly turbines can't believe how good some of these EDF's sound.... but sure turbines and radials are really sweet sounding. Just not what I'm into

check out this one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jF0nzzf-u8[/youtube]

Here is a video of my 1/6 scale hawk .. my bud was having a hard time with the camera but you get the idea and hear how nice the fan sounds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm7jdYxl4ps[/youtube]

The main this is we are all having fun doing what we love..... that's all the counts

Old 12-22-2011, 11:27 PM
John Taylor
My Feedback: (16)

Hi guy's Try this a Vailly Aviation 90" Hawker Sea Fury. weight 36.5 lbs, Electric with a Turnigy C80-100-B130kv motor witha a turnigy 120amp speed control on 12S swinging a 4 bladed 28"-14 pitch prop
2800 amps only using about 70 amps. flight time about 6 min. Check it out on you tube Starfire 2622 100_1576 is the taxing and 100_1577 is the flight. I appologise for the gittery ness of the video
It's my 1st big electric. I really like the fact that it is swinging a 4 bladed prop. Only have the one flight this year due to weather in central NY. Plan on more flights next year and the Neat Fair. John T.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Ron101

you guys..look I can admit the turbines and radials sound sweet..no doubt
but my only point is I don't think many really know how far e power has come

The new fans we are flying in our E power jets sound very much like a jet

here is an electric vampire with a Stu Max EDF.. I have two of these fans in some of my jets and guys always go nuts over the sound. Even my buds that fly turbines can't believe how good some of these EDF's sound.... but sure turbines and radials are really sweet sounding. Just not what I'm into

check out this one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jF0nzzf-u8[/youtube]

Here is a video of my 1/6 scale hawk .. my bud was having a hard time with the camera but you get the idea and hear how nice the fan sounds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm7jdYxl4ps[/youtube]

The main this is we are all having fun doing what we love..... that's all the counts

They're cetrainly closer than the pissed off hair dryer sound most EDFs make, but the ESC whine still ruins it.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 AM
vik
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: John Taylor

Hi guy's Try this a Vailly Aviation 90'' Hawker Sea Fury. weight 36.5 lbs, Electric with a Turnigy C80-100-B130kv motor witha a turnigy 120amp speed control on 12S swinging a 4 bladed 28''-14 pitch prop
2800 amps only using about 70 amps. flight time about 6 min. Check it out on you tube Starfire 2622 100_1576 is the taxing and 100_1577 is the flight. I appologise for the gittery ness of the video
It's my 1st big electric. I really like the fact that it is swinging a 4 bladed prop. Only have the one flight this year due to weather in central NY. Plan on more flights next year and the Neat Fair. John T.
John
Please upload some pictures!

As for eletric vs gas and large scale I would point to chap in UK named Mick Reeves. I thing you heard about him already

I´m quoting his web:

My 2011 model. Latest version with plug-in wings. 12.85 KG + batteries = 15.85 kg. CG 6 5/8".
Successfull contest flights done. 7 mins. 70 % battery used. 24 x 12 prop at 6800 rpm. 12s, 10ah battery. 130 amps at full power. 17 kg thrust.
I cruise at just below 1/2 throttle (50 amps) and use full power only for verticals. I do 8 manoevres per flight, in a turn-around pattern to save time.

Ali Machinsky flew my electric Spitfire. Three flights.
I was thinking about remarks I heard saying that light models are no good.
They flit, or fly like a kite.
Ali's 1/4 Spit weighs 90 lbs, so I wondered how he would find my 35 lb one.

He was delighted with it. He flew massive loops, slow rolls, 4 point roll, barrel roll, Immalman, inverted
with inverted Immalman recovery, stall turns left and right, three turn spin, lazy 8, Cuban. Long take offs at 1/2 power.(on grass)
Touch and gos and landings, with and without flaps, rollers and 3 pointers. Slow flight and circuit at under 20 mph .
He felt very comfortable with it at all times, and always under control. Longest flight was 8 min with 20% battery left.
He tried the gyro system which proved to be no problem. (I had never tried it myself.)
However, the model was so smooth without the gyros that it made no difference to the appearance of the flight,
so it really does not need gyros. With my set-up the motor sounds like a well silenced petrol engine.
I had my video running, but I wanted to watch the model live, so the video was rubbish. Pity!

http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~m...its/p4spit.htm

So eletric is good alternative to the gas.
And sometimes even better
Old 12-23-2011, 03:42 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's consider another factor: COST!

Few of us can afford $8000 (am I close on the Mokki?) for a model airplane engine. SURE it sounds great (when run properly), but in this case: a little too loud. Ever hear a full scale P-47? Those turbo chargers have quite a muffling effect, they are quiet compared to most other R-2800 engined aircraft. But abgain: $8000? I'm not too sure what an electric setup would cost for the same plane, but I'm guessing WAY less than $2000, maybe even $1000.

Turbines: Again, we're talking several thousand dollars, PLUS a special license will soon be needed? Again, I'm thinking about $1000 would cover the expense of an electric ducted fan installation (motor, fan, ESC, batteries).
Old 12-23-2011, 04:18 AM
vik
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Few of us can afford $8000 (am I close on the Mokki?) for a model airplane engine. SURE it sounds great (when run properly), but in this case: a little too loud. Ever hear a full scale P-47? Those turbo chargers have quite a muffling effect, they are quiet compared to most other R-2800 engined aircraft. But abgain: $8000? I'm not too sure what an electric setup would cost for the same plane, but I'm guessing WAY less than $2000, maybe even $1000.

Turbines: Again, we're talking several thousand dollars, PLUS a special license will soon be needed? Again, I'm thinking about $1000 would cover the expense of an electric ducted fan installation (motor, fan, ESC, batteries).
The cost of the eletric setup really depends if you will go with the brands or with hobby king.
Budget (for something like Ziroli large size P-47)
Motor: Turnigy CA80 $300 or or Turnigy which Micr Reeves have is $99
ESC (I would go with something like Jeti or Castle) - Turnigy dlux 160HV for $123
Batteries (they shall be more count as a fuel, but) 8000mAh 12S $176,00

Total is without shipping $599,00 for the more expensive CA80
It has up to 17kg static trust with 26x12 prop. Ziroli P-47 shall be around 15kg per Ziroli web.

¨Brand¨
Hacker A80 $595,00
CC 160HV-2 $270,00 or Jeti $475,00
and I will go with same packs so $176,00

So $1.246,00 for the more expensive or $1.041,00 including ¨fuel¨ for a season

Around €300 would be the sound system from Benedini

But it is same for gas. Do you want to go with ZDZ, DA or the motors build in China? There is a huge price difference. Please correct me if I´m wrong.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:34 AM
CorsairJock

I quess I didn't make my point clear. Sure, there are plenty of cost comparitive options when trying to decided wheher to use gas, glow, or electric power. But SOME of the comparisons in previous posts were implying that ceratin engines sound better than an electric set-up for the same aircraft. My point is: Even if they DO sound better, they are doing so at a very considerable expense (thus my $6000 price tag statement on the Moki).

If your pockets are deep enough to afford a Moki, then you certainly deserve to believe that you have a better sounding set-up than any electric ever could.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:50 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

Simple enough. Electrics are like having a blow up doll for a girl friend. Nice but just not like the real deal. ............

Hey pmerritt, I got news for you: unless you actually have a full scale warbird, your 'girlfriends' are not the 'real deal' either. I'm sure they do everything you instruct them to, maybe even bark back and bite your fingers occasionally, but in the long run: they are just a noisier, dirtier 'blow-up dolls'.

The rest of your classless assertions (note: it take a real *ss to make such assertions) are not even deserving of a response.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:02 AM
ncsky

Video of my giant scale P-51 with sound.... plan to get many more flight with it this spring

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE-S4fUAgK4[/youtube]

That is a thing of beauty. Sound is the most realistic I've heard. Awesome plane!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:21 AM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the town Scotts Lawn products are made. The owner of Scotts owns the Old Crow and every once in awhile it will fly over town. That thing rumbles the house!. I can appreciate some of the perks electrics have but if its a p-51 it better be gas!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:30 AM
GerKonig

It will run for about 20 feet, then I take off and go immediately into a vertical rolling line to the height I want, or out of sight. The power is instant, and it is explosive.

Tracon 1.6 from HobbyPartz $47 (unreal raw power)
Controller Hobby King 100 amp HV $95.00
1 6 pack plus one 4 pack (makes 10 cells) about $90 (hobby king)
Prop 19x10
Fun factor: Unlimited

I had the 3 possibilities ready to fly in my shed-hangar: gas, nitro and electric. Over the time, since I stopped entirely taking the nitro planes to the field, I got rid of all nitro stuff.
I ended with electric (Telemaster, 1/4 scale RV-4 and Giant Stick) and gas: Curtiss Hawk, Balsa Usa 1/4 scale cub, Sig clipped wing cub.

This winter I will electrify my 1/4 scale clipped wing cub, and electrify a Morane Saulnier 1/3 scale (Balsa USA). It will be cheaper than to buy a new G62 for the Morane.

The nice thing about my bigger electrics is that they all share the same batter packs (5000 ma x 4 or x 6 cells, and I combine them as needed to have 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 cells)

Gerry

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43594.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	1703967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69055.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	1703968  
Old 12-23-2011, 05:37 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

Video of my giant scale P-51 with sound.... plan to get many more flight with it this spring

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE-S4fUAgK4[/youtube]
That was pretty good, but wheres your smoke system?

Is there smoke system in a full size P-51. I saw a lot this summer in Oshkosh, non w/smoke system....

Gerry
Old 12-23-2011, 05:40 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

Simple enough. Electrics are like having a blow up doll for a girl friend. Nice but just not like the real deal. ............

Hey pmerritt, I got news for you: unless you actually have a full scale warbird, your 'girlfriends' are not the 'real deal' either. I'm sure they do everything you instruct them to, maybe even bark back and bite your fingers occasionally, but in the long run: they are just a noisier, dirtier 'blow-up dolls'.

The rest of your classless assertions (note: it take a real *ss to make such assertions) are not even deserving of a response.

You are wasting your time CorsairJack. There is a real crow of people out there that actually believe that a full size P-51 sounds like a weed whacker (or a ZG 62 for that matter).

Gerry
Old 12-23-2011, 05:48 AM
John Taylor
My Feedback: (16)

Ok Vik I'm attempting to post a picture of my Sea Fury. Hope this works. John T. [img][/img] Sorry can't get it to transfer. Can sombody PM me and tell me how.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:57 AM
pontiac6000le88

It is good that Asia countries/ companies making the cheap high performance lipo that make our flying/ driving RC more afforable, but the same time pushing Nitro and gas engine become less powerful. I do enjoy both nitro/gas and lipo power plants. Just lipo is running our models in mute mode ( no noise) require less supportive equipments ( glow ignitor, starter, fuel bottles).

Either power plants will have a learning curve. Go have fun and Just go with what is what is most conventient to yourself.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: vik

The cost of the eletric setup really depends if you will go with the brands or with hobby king.
Budget (for something like Ziroli large size P-47)
Motor: Turnigy CA80 $300 or or Turnigy which Micr Reeves have is $99
ESC (I would go with something like Jeti or Castle) - Turnigy dlux 160HV for $123
Batteries (they shall be more count as a fuel, but) 8000mAh 12S $176,00

Total is without shipping $599,00 for the more expensive CA80
It has up to 17kg static trust with 26x12 prop. Ziroli P-47 shall be around 15kg per Ziroli web.

¨Brand¨
Hacker A80 $595,00
CC 160HV-2 $270,00 or Jeti $475,00
and I will go with same packs so $176,00

So $1.246,00 for the more expensive or $1.041,00 including ¨fuel¨ for a season

Around €300 would be the sound system from Benedini

But it is same for gas. Do you want to go with ZDZ, DA or the motors build in China? There is a huge price difference. Please correct me if I´m wrong.

You are comapring cheap chineese electrics to a Moki gas? The gas plane would have cost much less than $8000 if using cheap Chines engine. I doubt the electric would cost only $2000, the airframe costs more than that. To compare elecrric prices you need to put in at least three battery packs.

IMO electrics cost too much and battery packs do not last long enough. Always one burning up before it should or its capaticy getting a lot shorter much sooner than it should.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

It will run for about 20 feet, then I take off and go immediately into a vertical rolling line to the height I want, or out of sight. The power is instant, and it is explosive.

Prop 19x10

I had the 3 possibilities ready to fly in my shed-hangar: gas, nitro and electric. Over the time, since I stopped entirely taking the nitro planes to the field, I got rid of all nitro stuff.
I ended with electric (Telemaster, 1/4 scale RV-4 and Giant Stick) and gas: Curtiss Hawk, Balsa Usa 1/4 scale cub, Sig clipped wing cub.

This winter I will electrify my 1/4 scale clipped wing cub, and electrify a Morane Saulnier 1/3 scale (Balsa USA). It will be cheaper than to buy a new G62 for the Morane.

The nice thing about my bigger electrics is that they all share the same batter packs (5000 ma x 4 or x 6 cells, and I combine them as needed to have 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 cells)

Gerry

You need at least two more battery packs to avoid waiting for it to charge. You could buy a gas engine for less than the total of the above plus two more packs.. More power as well.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../dleg0031.html
Old 12-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Consider this:

Not all of us give a damn that electric is cheaper. I would GLADLY pay the premium.

Why, you ask? What neuron isn't firing in my brain that would make me opt for an 8,000 dollar radial engine over a 1,000 dollar brushless setup? Simple. Play the video I posted, turn your monitor off. Hear that? That's precisely why I'd spend the premium. I'm in the hobby for the smile factor, not for whatever's cost effective or statistically better, and for me electric is dull, dry, boring, ho-hum and robotic. Give me a cantankerous, expensive, touchy, tricky to maintain radial that sounds sweet instead. I'll need a grin-ectomy after just five minutes in the air, even if all I'm doing is cruising the pattern at half throttle. With electric I'd need to treat it like a 3D plane to get anywhere near the same smile factor, and that's a good way to crash...well, pretty much anything, really.

Also, consider this:

DLE111 costs about as same as a trustworthy brushless system that size, but without the hassle or cost of charging multiple batteries.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:19 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot
................You are comapring cheap chineese electrics to a Moki gas? ..........
No, I am NOT "comapring cheap chineese electrics to a Moki gas". First off, my electric motors are AXI, which are made in Europe. Second, my reply was a response to someone who was comparing the sound of an $6000 Moki to the sound of en electric motor system with a sound system.
.........................The gas plane would have cost much less than $8000 if using cheap Chines engine. I doubt the electric would cost only $2000, the airframe costs more than that. To compare elecrric prices you need to put in at least three battery packs............
Third: I was comparing the cost of propulsion sytems, NOT including the airframes. Correct me if I am wrong: don't the Moki radials (as used in that P-47) sell for around $6000? Fourth: the prices of the electrics INCLUDE battery systems. However, the majority of those flying large electric powered aircraft only have 1 set of battery packs per aircraft. Don't know about the others, but I don't intend to fly just one plane all day anyway, so I bring others, AND allow other pilots the opportunity to fly thier planes.

.........................IMO electrics cost too much and battery packs do not last long enough. Always one burning up before it should or its capaticy getting a lot shorter much sooner than it should.
That is your opinion, and you are welcome to keep it. Myself and others have found that it is not as expensive as some people like to think, and flight times can EASILY exceed 10 minutes on most aircraft (I several '60 size' electric warbirds, ALL capable of 12 minutes or more of flight per charge). At most fields that I go to, it is common courtesy to limit flight times to about 10 minutes, so that others have the opportunity to fly. Myself, I've had enough fun after 10 minutes anyway, and I'm ready for a break.
"Always" and "Never" are only in the vocabulary of the narrow minded.

And for the record (once again): I have electric powered AND glow/ 4 stroke powered warbirds, and would really not want to give up either. I have VQ P-38 in the basement, waiting for me to complete it. IMO: there is no other choice than electric power for that one. Electric power will provide the reliabilty that is NEEDED with any twin, but especially a P-38. PLUS, I can run a pair of 3 blade props, CONTRAROTATING (just like the full scale versions). And lastly: the cowls will continue to have a scale look, with no engine cylinders and/ or mufflers hanging out of them.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 AM
RoyR

I fly electric, gas, and glow airplanes. Yes, the electric is convenient, glow is messy. But I will never give up my glow and gas engines. If all someone wants to do is go out and fly, then just go electric.
I personally like building, and the satisfaction of making my engines run the way I want them to run. I like the smell of glow fuel, and I like the sound of all kinds of combustion engines.
For someone that doesn't like building or adjusting their engines I will never convince them to fly gas. But I can never be convinced to give it up.
I also own a Harley, if someone could build an electric motor to replace the Harley V twin and has twice the power and runs on 2 D cell batteries for 1,000 miles before needing charging, and offered to exchange with me for free, I still would not give up my loud vibrating internal combustion engine.

SO this question could be turned into anything: Why fly electric when you can fly a simulator with many airplanes that don’t cost extra when you crash? Why fly electric when you can build a static model that doesn't require a radio? Why drive a Corvette instead of a Prius?
I’m not being smart, there are people that prefer simulators. There are hobbyist that only make static display models. And I find it hard to believe, but there are even people that prefer a Prius.

It's all your choice. The plusses and minuses of one person are not the same as those of another person. I can see someone starting out would want to know the advantages and disadvantages, but many times the answers they get are something like: “you are an idiot if you don’t do it MY way”. (not necessarily on this thread)
If you notice, most of the answers on this thread are people who give their personal reasons for what they choose. So see what they like and compare it to what you think you would like, and there is your answer.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:35 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

Prop 19x10

Gerry

You need at least two more battery packs to avoid waiting for it to charge. You could buy a gas engine for less than the total of the above plus two more packs.. More power as well.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../dleg0031.html
See, that's the beauty. I do not need "2 more packs" I have them from my other models:-) My 3 bigger electrics use the same type of 5,000 ma packs.

This means I can switch and add packs, using the packs I already have (4 and 6 cell packs). So, I have enough packs to take the planes up 3 times w/o recharging. I only care to take 2 big planes and one of the smaller ones to the field at once. The Curtiss Hawk (gas) flew only once or twice this year... Yes, the DL 30 would be the least to use on the Giant Stick. My G-26 was anemic on my Giant Stick compared to the 1.6 electric. The instant raw power is unreal...

For the Sig clipped Wing conversion, I purchased the motor w/the Christmas sale and free shipping for $46.00, the controller connects and disconnects using 5 plugs. So, all I need really is: nothing. Pull the controller out of one models (5 plugs), plug in the other (5 plugs). Go have fun using the batteries I have. No need to buy any more batteries... And if plugging the thing out and in is too much work, I purchase another controller for $95. this would bring the cost of the conversion to around $141.00... But trust me, I can switch a controller in a total of 5 minutes:-) It takes more to bring the plane on the table tan to do the plugging... (my planes hang on racks on the wall)

But, that is the beauty of our hobby. We have choices, many of them. I love the Moki radial power plants. In my humble opinion it is the only model power plant that really sounds like the real thing. Well,I also saw a home built Gnome 1/4 scale that sounded real:-) But both are beyond what I care to spend:-)

Merry Christmas to all, or Happy Holidays to all

Gerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.