Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

H9 Funtana tip stalling.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

H9 Funtana tip stalling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Funtana tip stalling.

I don't mean to start another thread about the H9 Funtana, but I think I know what is causing the tip stall. It is not the design of the wing. It is the elevator! By virtue of the two halves being joined by a wire (which is flexible) instead of a rigid connection, the plane will tip stall to the right (when giving up elevator) because the reduced deflection on the left elevator half. Make sense??

BTW, flew mine for the first time this weekend. I give it a 9/10 for now. Blenders are violent, walls are smooth (some tip stalling due to the elevator), and snaps are clean. Parachutes are nearly impossible to do low to the ground due to the tip stalling (elevator).

If I can solve the flex connection on the elevator it will be a 10/10.

Using a O.S. 70 for power, 14 x 4 prop, 5lbs. 12 oz.

Ryan
Old 08-25-2003, 02:29 PM
MXJP

Thats is EXACTLY what I think is happening too. To test this, deflect the elevator up and push on each half separately. The right side will give a little more that the left.

I am currently trying to mix out the tip stall with a little spoilerons. A little more on the left than the right should balance it out.

OS 70 , APC 13X6, and 30% heli fuel.

James
Old 08-25-2003, 03:07 PM
erjpilot
My Feedback: (4)

Default Tip Stall

I thought the same thing about mine as it always dropped the right wing during a parachute maneuver. I swapped the servos around so they were opposite of the way the directions told you to install them. The elevator servo was now driving the left elevator half. This setup is actually better as the push rod geometry is better. Believe it or not it made absolutely NO difference in the way the plane did a parachute. It still dropped the right wing. The other weird thing was that mine had a slightly heavy left wing which should have also countered the right wing drop. I tried tweaking the ailerons and spoilerons and even adding more weight to the left tip. All pretty much to no avail. One thing that did help though, but did not totally cure the problem was moving the CG back. I started at the recommended 5 11/16" and moved it to about 6 1/4". The plane flew and 3D'ed much better at the aft CG. It was just a little more touchy on landing. Finally I just decided that, that was the way it was. The strange thing is that a friend has the same setup and his parachutes perfectly(No wing drop). I lost my Funtana last weekend in a mid-air so I am in the process of building another one. I am anxious to see if this one flies differently from the first one. Setup: Funtana, Saito 72, JR 8231 ailerons, JR3421 elevator and rudder, 1650 NiMh receiver pack, 5 lbs 11oz.
Travis
Old 08-25-2003, 03:09 PM
vypr
My Feedback: (6)

When I get mine flying I will report if this is true, mine has dual micro servos (digital) on the elev halves.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:06 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

is the design calling for one servo on a y stick or something like that? if so may want to consider 2 mini
Old 08-25-2003, 05:11 PM
JimmyD

Mine used to dip the right wing too. When I checked the lateral balance I found it a little right heavy. Today I have about 1/2 oz added to left wing tip. Right drop problem is gone, even with a double beveled elev. at 58 degrees throw.

OS91, std Futaba 3004 servos, 1600mAh NiMH (5oz) right behind wing nut, CG at 6 1/8". 5 3/4lbs.

See this thread for my total setup and a load of weight saving measures I've taken.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...=&pagenumber=2

cheers..
Old 08-25-2003, 05:45 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

My buddies Funtana had to be laterally balanced too. He added weight to the left wing and it's much better.

While it's true the elevators have some give between the halves, I think the tip stalling is a lateral balance problem.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:55 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I laterally balanced mine yesterday. The tip stall is better but not gone. A also think the ELEV is the problem. I think I'll cut mine off and join them with a dowel on the leading edge instead of the wire. later david
Old 08-26-2003, 03:04 AM
supertiger

Default tip stall

from the verry first flight i used two elivator servos. i just put the other servo in the place of the rudder servo and moved the rudder servo into the forward part of the fuse and used pull pull cables. i also used half ounce of lead on the left wing tip to ballance laterally and it still tip stalls to the right, it even stalls to the right when it flying inverted
Old 08-26-2003, 03:57 AM
adrian-RCU

we have 25+ flights on our funtana - no tip stall at all and we are are really trying to think why some guys are tip stalling - it has to be in the cg and balance that's it.
ours floats in and harrier lands at 0 mph and never drops a wing.

check - double check balance/cg guys.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:24 AM
BLT

I have a mini digital Hitec 5245 on each elevator half. Ihave laterally balanced , even experimented with a half ounce of overbalance. It still snaps to the right. It is inconsistent in occurrence. Sure keeps you on your toes
Old 08-26-2003, 05:17 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

get the one from desert aircraft no tip stalling here.....
Old 08-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Luke 3D returns

Maybe they have have some quality control problems at the Hangar 9 factory.
All the simprop Lift offs have some right twist in their fuselages due to this, so maybe the same thing is happenning here?
Old 08-26-2003, 10:12 PM
vypr
My Feedback: (6)

Originally posted by BLT
I have a mini digital Hitec 5245 on each elevator half. Ihave laterally balanced , even experimented with a half ounce of overbalance. It still snaps to the right. It is inconsistent in occurrence. Sure keeps you on your toes
Thats my setup... damn, well I just hope mine is one of lucky ones...
Old 08-27-2003, 12:24 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I fixed mine today. Problem as follows. The stab had a twist on the left side. When I epoxied the joiner wire and glued the hinges I used a level on top of the stab. With the slight twist in it my elevator halves were not level to each other. I used a heat gun and some twist to fix the stab. Then cut a square out of the elevator right above the joiner wire. Then it was simply a matter of blocking up both halves of the tail, filling the hole with epoxy and putting a balsa cover on top. Once the monocoat was patched it was ready. It was a 99% improvement. I say 99% because it will twist out of a really tight loop but is manageable.
It does do one thing a little funny on a low rate loop. It makes the loop stop sign shaped. It king of grabs and stalls as it goes around. Anybody else see a plane do this?
later david
Old 08-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Tim Holley

I dont know but mine tipstall to the right , so I have almost finished a new wing for mine. I used a cap 232 wing and modified it to fit the funtana fuse , this should fix the problem if it's the wing . If not I'll build a cap 232 fuse and park my funtana and strip it down .Let ya'll know what happens this weekend.......
Old 08-31-2003, 05:15 PM
gysnst2

Any one have wing problems with this one. i have bad wing wobble tried some saddle tape and seam to cure it till yesterday when the plane boom. going to try to contact hanger 9 and see what hen will do.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Default Wing wobble

After my first flying session, the wing was loose where the dowels go throught F2. I think the hole diameter was correct. the problem I see is that F2 is simply lite ply, deffinately not sutible for wing attachment. I took 1/8" plywood 1" x 1" and drilled 5/16" holes in them. Glued them to the front of F2 where the dowels penetrate. Have had 3-4 outings with no more wing wobble.

By the way, what is wing wobble?

Ryan
Old 09-01-2003, 03:16 PM
gysnst2

sorry wing rock the wallowing of the dowel holes causing the wings to rocking flight changing the angle of incidence while flying in flight about 1/8 to 1/4 of wing rock back and forth.

ray
Old 09-02-2003, 12:33 AM
MHawker

Did you all see the post by Frankenthumb? He noticed while building his that the supplied wing bolts did not match the threads of the mount... or vice versa.

I'll try to search and post a link, but perhaps this is what is causing your wing rock?
Old 09-02-2003, 01:50 AM
MHawker

Here you go.......

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...73&forumid=230]
Old 09-03-2003, 10:38 PM
erjpilot

Default Funtana #2

Flew Funtana #2 for the first time yesterday. I put two flights on it and it definitely flies better than the first one did as far as the right wing drop goes. This one turned out right wing heavy so I had to add some lead to the left wing unlike the first one. I did several parachutes and walls and it was very stable with very little to no right wing drop. Needless to say I am very happy with this one. What a blast to fly and it came out one ounce lighter at 5 lbs. 10 oz. with the same mechanics from the first plane.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:55 PM
lxcoupe
My Feedback: (34)

erjpilot:
How much lead did you have to add?
AL
Old 09-03-2003, 11:44 PM
erjpilot

Default weight

It was 1 1/2 squares of the Du-Bro segmented lead stick. I'm not sure if that corresponds to ounces or not. If so 1 1/2 ounces.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:58 PM
lxcoupe
My Feedback: (34)

sounds like an 1.5 oz.
I had to put 4 oz. on my left wing tip

my saito 100 hangs out the right side quite abit more then most engines do.
AL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.