Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

SC 4x4

Old 12-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Lethal19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC 4x4

I am looking to get into the SC scene and am trying to figure out which way to go I have looked at the SC10 and the Ten SCTE and it seems both have pros and cons. The track I will be running them at will be an indoor hard packed clay track for the winter I am not sure about summer since I will be running my 8ight and I am unsure I want to run 2 classes
Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 PM
cletrac

Default RE: SC 4x4

i havent dealt with the sc10 that much but have heard good things about them, a slash 4x4 is agreat truck.If you change the shocks, add sway bars, and put in the center diff they are very competitive.Alot of guys are running the ofna sc truck as well they seem to be very tough

Old 12-25-2011, 07:16 PM
chase1

i have been running a slash 4x for over a year and other than the esc it has beena great truck, after some mods and tuningof course. i just pickedup a losi 10 scte and right out of the box it is very very good. i am turning faster lap times with the losi over the slash with the same motor andesc(castle 2400 sct ed)andiam still running stock tires and suspension set up.i did adjust preload abitbut not much. handlingis alot like an 1/8 buggy, almost. it is very stable and it has that stuck to the ground feel.my friend built an sc10 4x and it seemed like it was real twitchty and light feeling. if you are used to 2wd sct's then it probly wont bother you but ididnt like it.other than that the only issue he had was steering servos. if you go with the sc 10 4x, dont skimp in that dept.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Teknic
My Feedback: (1)

Basically after all the research I did before buying the Losi over the AE came down to this.
Losi = Handles great right out of the box and needs few upgrades if any to be competitive.
AE = Might be nicer on a tight indoor track due to it having more steering (sometimes too much), but everyone says they're a pain to work on and require quite a bit of tuning and "upgrades" to get it to be competitive.
Some people mentioned the Ofna's...my personal experience with them is less than stellar. In 3 trips to the track with my Nexx10SC I managed to break the same PBS part on all 3 trips. Worst part is I'm a smooth driver and barely wreck, but a slight brush with the tubing would eat those PBS balls which in turn would mean you're replacing a lower arm since the post snaps in the arm.
Slash 4x4 is great for bashing and that's about it in my opinion since the amount of money you would have to spend in upgrades to make it competitive is comparable to buying a new Losi or AE roller. One plus to the Slash is it's waterproof, but it never rains indoors

If you get the Losi it sounds like you'll want to put the Lane or Phend setup on it on a indoor clay track. I myself put the Phend setup on mine and it handles awesome. It's by far the best 4x4 SC I've owned and I've had 2 Slash 4x4's, Hyper 10SC, 2 x Jammin SCRT10 and a Ofna Nexx10SC.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:41 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Both trucks are junk ITBJHO. Get a Durango or wait for the Team C truck.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Teknic

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Both trucks are junk ITBJHO. Get a Durango or wait for the Team C truck.
Durango's are nice if you never hit the pipes and if your LHS/Track carries parts. With that being said though the SCTE was the 2011 National Champ finishing in front of 3 or 4 Durango's.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM
butt_housed247

there are lots of Jammin SCRT-10's at the track i go to. the losi is probably the most popular truck, followed by the Team Associated truck. then the Jammin and the Ofna. all 4 of those seem super solid
Old 12-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I have to say you've judged the ofnas unfairly on one of their few lemons. Particularly the Jammin stuff, is to use your own phrase "stellar". Always. There hasn't been a bad Jammin model yet. Every one's a cracker.

Still, I'm sure you'll be happy with the Losi, I hear it's a great truck.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Teknic

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Yep, I have to say you've judged the ofnas unfairly on one of their few lemons. Particularly the Jammin stuff, is to use your own phrase "stellar". Always. There hasn't been a bad Jammin model yet. Every one's a cracker.

I actually owned 2 Jammin SCRT-10's and a Ofna Nexx10SC had issues with all 3 of them...Jammin's were less troublesome than the Nexx10SC, but still had issues with all of them. I also had a Hyper10SC and that truck was very solid and prior to owning my Losi was my favorite 4wd SC trucks.

Either way, I'm in no way telling someone not to buy an Ofna just offering my personal experiences/opinions on trucks that I've actually owned and raced.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 PM
acexxxoasis
My Feedback: (4)

I just got the scte and I was NEVER going to get a SC... so I thought and I already love it the scte is heavy though.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:26 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Teknic

Yep, I have to say you've judged the ofnas unfairly on one of their few lemons. Particularly the Jammin stuff, is to use your own phrase ''stellar''. Always. There hasn't been a bad Jammin model yet. Every one's a cracker.

I actually owned 2 Jammin SCRT-10's and a Ofna Nexx10SC had issues with all 3 of them...Jammin's were less troublesome than the Nexx10SC, but still had issues with all of them. I also had a Hyper10SC and that truck was very solid and prior to owning my Losi was my favorite 4wd SC trucks.

Either way, I'm in no way telling someone not to buy an Ofna just offering my personal experiences/opinions on trucks that I've actually owned and raced.

What issues did you have with the SCRTs (apart from the front bumper, which is lol )?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Teknic

ORIGINAL: Teknic

Yep, I have to say you've judged the ofnas unfairly on one of their few lemons. Particularly the Jammin stuff, is to use your own phrase ''stellar''. Always. There hasn't been a bad Jammin model yet. Every one's a cracker.

What issues did you have with the SCRTs (apart from the front bumper, which is lol )?
Besides the bumper like you mentioned (the SCTE has issues with it's rear bumper also though). I had some what seemed to be constant issues with my front PBS (converted) and also with my front upper hinge pin holder which was eventually resolved by getting the aluminum arm holder.

They weren't bad trucks at all, but since moving to the Losi I've shaved almost 2 seconds off my fast laps and am WAY more consistent due to in my opinion the truck being much more predictable (probably due to the added weight). I've also had the Losi for over a month now and have yet to bend or break a part on it. All that said it could just be that the Losi suits my driving style better.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 PM
chase1

i also found the weak link in the rear bumper, the rear shock tower is a little weak, and theplastic shock caps leak a littlebut the scte handles so good i dont really care about those minor issues. they are easily fixed.i am running the stock tires andset upbecause i am to afraid to change anything and mess it up lol.